PDA

View Full Version : I hate Surly bikes

Troll Report[_5_]
June 7th 07, 08:25 AM
I've never even ridden one either. It's just I hate them. Sort of like
how I used to feel about Bianchis. I've never ridden one, but I hate them.
I still hate them, but I think Surly is the new Bianchi. I can't explain
it. I think I could feel the same way Treks, except I had a pre-lance one,
so I don't have the unexplainable hate. It has something to do with
popularity I suppose. I don't know. I just know I hate Surly's.

Hank Wirtz
June 7th 07, 10:02 AM
On Jun 7, 12:25 am, Troll Report > wrote:
> I've never even ridden one either. It's just I hate them. Sort of like
> how I used to feel about Bianchis. I've never ridden one, but I hate them.
> I still hate them, but I think Surly is the new Bianchi. I can't explain
> it. I think I could feel the same way Treks, except I had a pre-lance one,
> so I don't have the unexplainable hate. It has something to do with
> popularity I suppose. I don't know. I just know I hate Surly's.

See, you shouldn't advertise with your username, because now we know
you're goofin' on us.

Hank Wirtz
June 7th 07, 10:02 AM
On Jun 7, 2:02 am, Hank Wirtz > wrote:
> On Jun 7, 12:25 am, Troll Report > wrote:
>
> > I've never even ridden one either. It's just I hate them. Sort of like
> > how I used to feel about Bianchis. I've never ridden one, but I hate them.
> > I still hate them, but I think Surly is the new Bianchi. I can't explain
> > it. I think I could feel the same way Treks, except I had a pre-lance one,
> > so I don't have the unexplainable hate. It has something to do with
> > popularity I suppose. I don't know. I just know I hate Surly's.
>
> See, you shouldn't advertise with your username, because now we know
> you're goofin' on us.

BTW, I heart my Surly.

Johnny Sunset
June 7th 07, 11:53 AM
On Jun 7, 2:25 am, "Troll Report" wrote:
> I've never even ridden one either. It's just I hate them. Sort of like
> how I used to feel about Bianchis. I've never ridden one, but I hate them.
> I still hate them, but I think Surly is the new Bianchi. I can't explain
> it. I think I could feel the same way [about] Treks, except I had a pre-lance one,
> so I don't have the unexplainable hate. It has something to do with
> popularity I suppose. I don't know. I just know I hate Surly's.

It was a lot easier to like Trek when the bikes were made in a barn in
Waterloo, rather than most frames being outsourced to some 3rd party
factory.

We still have Waterford/Gunnar for high quality bikes made
individually by Cheeseheads, er Wisconsinites.

al77
June 7th 07, 12:58 PM
On 7 Jun, 08:25, Troll Report > wrote:
> I've never even ridden one either. It's just I hate them. Sort of like
> how I used to feel about Bianchis. I've never ridden one, but I hate them.
> I still hate them, but I think Surly is the new Bianchi. I can't explain
> it. I think I could feel the same way Treks, except I had a pre-lance one,
> so I don't have the unexplainable hate. It has something to do with
> popularity I suppose. I don't know. I just know I hate Surly's.

What a strange statement to make. I was looking for a new frame not
so long ago & really liked the look of Surly. In the end I went for a
Soma frame that I'm very happy with. Seems like they both supply good
quality steel frames at very reasonable prices, what's the problem
with that?

Dane Buson
June 7th 07, 01:57 PM
In rec.bicycles.misc Troll Report > wrote:
> I've never even ridden one either. It's just I hate them. Sort of like
> how I used to feel about Bianchis. I've never ridden one, but I hate them.
> I still hate them, but I think Surly is the new Bianchi. I can't explain
> it. I think I could feel the same way Treks, except I had a pre-lance one,
> so I don't have the unexplainable hate. It has something to do with
> popularity I suppose. I don't know. I just know I hate Surly's.

Hate away if makes you content. Granted they are fairly popular. [1]
Though most of the hipster crowd is still rocking the Bianchis,
Langsters and track bikes. But if it brings you some inner peace and
joy to detest inanimate lumps of CroMo, feel free.

Personally I've gotten a lot of use out of my CrossCheck. On the other
hand, no one is going to mistake it for a hipster bike. It might be the
huge red M636 pedals, the front dynohub and light, or possibly the 48
spoke rear wheel. The fenders are marginal (it is Seattle), but the
Carradice bag is right out. If I had any pretensions to Fashion it
would definitely be a Reload or old Kozmo bag.

[1] I loved that band before they became all mainstream and ****! [2]
[2] It is true that the Dead Milkmen were better before they learned to
play their instruments though.

--
Dane Buson -
"Every major horror of history was committed in the name of an

Scott Gordo
June 7th 07, 02:53 PM
On Jun 7, 3:25 am, Troll Report > wrote:
> I've never even ridden one either. It's just I hate them. Sort of like
> how I used to feel about Bianchis. I've never ridden one, but I hate them.
> I still hate them, but I think Surly is the new Bianchi. I can't explain
> it. I think I could feel the same way Treks, except I had a pre-lance one,
> so I don't have the unexplainable hate. It has something to do with
> popularity I suppose. I don't know. I just know I hate Surly's.

Look me in the virtual eye and tell me that you hate the Pugsley. I
dare you.

The name "Surly" suggests some kind of reverse elitism which is a tad
annoying, even if I am a steel guy. I don't know anyone who has
complained about the way they ride, though. I have one of their track
hubs and so far it performs invisibly.

/s

Tom Nakashima
June 7th 07, 03:19 PM
"Troll Report" > wrote in message
> I've never even ridden one either. <snip>
> It's just I hate them. <snip>
> I can't explain it. <snip>
> It has something to do with popularity I suppose. <snip>

Somewhere Paris Hilton is not smiling today.
-tom

dvt
June 7th 07, 04:22 PM
Tom Nakashima wrote:
> "Troll Report" > wrote in message
>> I've never even ridden one either. <snip>
>> It's just I hate them. <snip>
>> I can't explain it. <snip>
>> It has something to do with popularity I suppose. <snip>
>
> Somewhere Paris Hilton is not smiling today.

Are you saying she's surly today?

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body
and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to
get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than
circumstances drive them to do. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and
novelist (1811-1896)

Tom Nakashima
June 7th 07, 04:38 PM
"dvt" > wrote in message
> Tom Nakashima wrote:
>> "Troll Report" > wrote in message
>>> I've never even ridden one either. <snip>
>>> It's just I hate them. <snip>
>>> I can't explain it. <snip>
>>> It has something to do with popularity I suppose. <snip>
>>
>> Somewhere Paris Hilton is not smiling today.
>
> Are you saying she's surly today? Dave

Surly she is smiling today after just serving 3-days.
Decision was made as a result of a medical problem....I would
blame it on prison food.
-tom

A Muzi
June 7th 07, 04:46 PM

al77 wrote:
> What a strange statement to make. I was looking for a new frame not
> so long ago & really liked the look of Surly. In the end I went for a
> Soma frame that I'm very happy with. Seems like they both supply good
> quality steel frames at very reasonable prices, what's the problem
> with that?

Because some people have strong (no, _compelling_, maybe neurotic?)
aesthetic or subliminal initial reactions to bicycles. Ask anyone who's
spent some time selling bikes. The initial reaction can be dramatically
positive or remarkably negative before the customer knows even the
roughest details of a given machine.

Ask a random series of people 'Chevy or Ford?' and see the reactions.
Objectively there's not much difference.

p.s. I have my own irrational yet strong opinions.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

catzz66
June 7th 07, 05:50 PM
Troll Report wrote:
> I've never even ridden one either.

This is where I stopped reading.

Marty
June 8th 07, 12:23 AM
On Jun 7, 4:53 am, Johnny Sunset > wrote:
> On Jun 7, 2:25 am, "Troll Report" wrote:
>
> > I've never even ridden one either. It's just I hate them. Sort of like
> > how I used to feel about Bianchis. I've never ridden one, but I hate them.
> > I still hate them, but I think Surly is the new Bianchi. I can't explain
> > it. I think I could feel the same way [about] Treks, except I had a pre-lance one,
> > so I don't have the unexplainable hate. It has something to do with
> > popularity I suppose. I don't know. I just know I hate Surly's.
>
> It was a lot easier to like Trek when the bikes were made in a barn in
> Waterloo, rather than most frames being outsourced to some 3rd party
> factory.
>
> We still have Waterford/Gunnar for high quality bikes made
> individually by Cheeseheads, er Wisconsinites.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

I know a Tom Sherman from Rochester, MN.

Anyway, I'm from WI, I love WI, but, I have never liked Trek bikes...
Until now. They FINALLY got with it:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=/photos/2007/tech/features/trek_madone_launch07/Trek_Madone_red_and_black

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2007/features/trek_madone_launch07

Still don't think I'd buy one, but I do like the design better than
anything thay have ever produced.
--
Marty

Johnny Sunset
June 8th 07, 01:08 AM
On Jun 7, 7:57 am, Dane Buson wrote:
> Personally I've gotten a lot of use out of my CrossCheck....
>
> [1] I loved that band before they became all mainstream and ****! [2]
> [2] It is true that the Dead Milkmen were better before they learned to
> play their instruments though.

Did you ride your Bitchen' CrossCheck back from the Bahamas?

Johnny Sunset
June 8th 07, 01:14 AM
On Jun 7, 6:23 pm, Marty? wrote:
> On Jun 7, 4:53 am, Johnny Sunset > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 7, 2:25 am, "Troll Report" wrote:
>
> > > I've never even ridden one either. It's just I hate them. Sort of like
> > > how I used to feel about Bianchis. I've never ridden one, but I hate them.
> > > I still hate them, but I think Surly is the new Bianchi. I can't explain
> > > it. I think I could feel the same way [about] Treks, except I had a pre-lance one,
> > > so I don't have the unexplainable hate. It has something to do with
> > > popularity I suppose. I don't know. I just know I hate Surly's.
>
> > It was a lot easier to like Trek when the bikes were made in a barn in
> > Waterloo, rather than most frames being outsourced to some 3rd party
> > factory.
>
> > We still have Waterford/Gunnar for high quality bikes made
> > individually by Cheeseheads, er Wisconsinites.
>
> > --
> > Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> > The weather is here, wish you were beautiful
>
> I know a Tom Sherman from Rochester, MN.

Not closely related as far as I know.

> Anyway, I'm from WI, I love WI, but, I have never liked Trek bikes...
> Until now. They FINALLY got with it:
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=/photos/2007/tech/features/tre...
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2007/features/trek_madone...
>
> Still don't think I'd buy one, but I do like the design better than
> anything thay have ever produced.

I like the older brazed and lugged Treks the best. The R200 fiasco did
turn me off from the company to some extent. Still have my 1999 Trek
6000 ATB [1], which is quite a good bike when the price I paid for it
is considered.

[1] Even though it is low end, it is still better than my miserable
off-road riding skills require.

bryanska
June 8th 07, 02:30 AM
> Because some people have strong (no, _compelling_, maybe neurotic?)
> aesthetic or subliminal initial reactions to bicycles. Ask anyone who's
> spent some time selling bikes.

Just like when I spent four years selling cigars (best job in the
world).

Merely because some customers were total idiots, I now have an intense
distaste for many stereotypes:

Golfers looking to buy their way into it - "what's the best cigar in
the world?" or "What's the most expensive cigar here?"

Guys who think they are hilarious - (loudly) "ya got any Cubans in
here?"

Conspiracy theorists - "I bet he's got just BOXES of Cubans behind
there."

Comedians-in-front-of-wives - "hey honey, put your finger in there
(holding a cigar cutter)"

Guys who have never smoked a cigar in their lives and feel incredibly
romantic about it, having practiced their opening line - "what's a
good gentleman's cigar?"

Golfers who tell boring stories, like listening to an account of
someone's workout - "I smoked a great cigar on the back nine
yesterday. There was great beer, the drink girl was cute. Can't recall
the name of the cigar though. Got anything like it?"

People looking to gift their spouses (but not really) - "no, that one
stinks. This one smelled better. It was brown. Do you have any that he
can smoke in the garage?"

People who don't know what a cigar is for - "oh my god, you're SMOKING
that?"

Lobster-red Yanks who believe anything (such as those duped into
buying counterfeit Cubans off the street in Cozumel, or any Spanish-
speaking locale) - "I met this guy at a bar in Mexico. He had a
connection in the Cuban factories. I got a box of Cubans for $1 each!"

Finally, I was scared off marriage for years, because some women can't
fathom any place of business as repugnant as a cigar store. They'll
fire a broadside of the most demeaning & disrespectful barbs, just to
get the guy out of the store, tail between legs. Because of that, I
never criticize my wife's tastes without thorough consideration &
respect, and will accept nothing but the same. My balls are free-
range.

(note: troll report)

Paul Myron Hobson
June 8th 07, 03:13 AM
Johnny Sunset wrote:
> On Jun 7, 7:57 am, Dane Buson wrote:
>> Personally I've gotten a lot of use out of my CrossCheck....
>>
>> [1] I loved that band before they became all mainstream and ****! [2]
>> [2] It is true that the Dead Milkmen were better before they learned to
>> play their instruments though.
>
> Did you ride your Bitchen' CrossCheck back from the Bahamas?

Oh...coooool?

Dane Buson
June 8th 07, 10:15 PM
In rec.bicycles.misc Johnny Sunset > wrote:
> On Jun 7, 7:57 am, Dane Buson wrote:
>> Personally I've gotten a lot of use out of my CrossCheck....
>>
>> [1] I loved that band before they became all mainstream and ****! [2]
>> [2] It is true that the Dead Milkmen were better before they learned to
>> play their instruments though.
>
> Did you ride your Bitchen' CrossCheck back from the Bahamas?

You're kidding! Well you must be, the Bahamas are islands, okay, the important
thing now, is that you ask me what kind of car^Wbike I have.

I ran over some old lady one night at the county fair;
And I didn't get arrested, because my dad's the mayor.
BITCHIN CROSSCHECK, BITCHIN CROSSCHECK

--
Dane Buson -
.... Jesus cried with a loud voice: Lazarus, come forth; the bug hath been

Paul Myron Hobson
June 8th 07, 11:28 PM
Dane Buson wrote:
> In rec.bicycles.misc Johnny Sunset > wrote:
>> On Jun 7, 7:57 am, Dane Buson wrote:
>>> Personally I've gotten a lot of use out of my CrossCheck....
>>>
>>> [1] I loved that band before they became all mainstream and ****! [2]
>>> [2] It is true that the Dead Milkmen were better before they learned to
>>> play their instruments though.
>> Did you ride your Bitchen' CrossCheck back from the Bahamas?
>
> You're kidding! Well you must be, the Bahamas are islands, okay, the important
> thing now, is that you ask me what kind of car^Wbike I have.
>
> I ran over some old lady one night at the county fair;
> And I didn't get arrested, because my dad's the mayor.
> BITCHIN CROSSCHECK, BITCHIN CROSSCHECK

Steamroller really goes better with the song :)

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Hayfever Edition ®
June 9th 07, 12:34 AM
"Troll Report" > wrote in message
> I've never even ridden one either. It's just I hate them. Sort of like
> how I used to feel about Bianchis. I've never ridden one, but I hate
> them.
> I still hate them, but I think Surly is the new Bianchi. I can't explain
> it. I think I could feel the same way Treks, except I had a pre-lance
> one,
> so I don't have the unexplainable hate. It has something to do with
> popularity I suppose. I don't know. I just know I hate Surly's.

Surly is a QBP bike made in Taiwan, with a whole lotta marketing behind it,
but they make good sensible bikes, IMO. LHT kicks ass.

OTOH, I hate Ellsworth and its phony "Ellsworthia" BS with a vengeance. If
you think Rivendell is hoity-toity, wait until you get a load of
Ell****sworth. At least Grant Peterson can make a decent bike and warranty
to back it up.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home