PDA

View Full Version : Trucks & Mirrors

Roos Eisma
June 7th 07, 11:23 AM
Item today in a Dutch newspaper about sttempts to reduce the blind angle
that trucks have - even with additional mirrors on the truck- by placing a
mirror on the traffic light post.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/article433226.ece/Spiegels_in_verkeerslichten_leveren_nog_geen_effec t_op

At this point (some years into the trial) no clear results yet.

I will add some translation later but the images should work without that
for the time being.

Roos

David Martin
June 7th 07, 01:10 PM
On Jun 7, 11:23 am, Roos Eisma > wrote:
> Item today in a Dutch newspaper about sttempts to reduce the blind angle
> that trucks have - even with additional mirrors on the truck- by placing a
> mirror on the traffic light post.
>
> http://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/article433226.ece/Spiegels_in_ver...
>
> At this point (some years into the trial) no clear results yet.
>
> I will add some translation later but the images should work without that
> for the time being.

At first I thought it was a great idea. But as soon as the driver
starts to move beyond the mirror it is useless. Definitely worth
trying eg in London where left turning vehicles are a major cause of
death.

...d

Niall Wallace
June 8th 07, 10:09 AM
"Roos Eisma" > wrote in message

> Item today in a Dutch newspaper about sttempts to reduce the blind angle
> that trucks have - even with additional mirrors on the truck- by placing a
> mirror on the traffic light post.
>
> http://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/article433226.ece/Spiegels_in_verkeerslichten_leveren_nog_geen_effec t_op
>
> At this point (some years into the trial) no clear results yet.
>
> I will add some translation later but the images should work without that
> for the time being.
>

> Roos

Not sure what sort of miriors would be needed to avoid this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6732003.stm

Colin Nelson
June 8th 07, 12:21 PM
"Niall Wallace" > wrote in message
> "Roos Eisma" > wrote in message
> >
> > Item today in a Dutch newspaper about sttempts to reduce the blind angle
> > that trucks have - even with additional mirrors on the truck- by placing
> > mirror on the traffic light post.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/article433226.ece/Spiegels_in_verkeerslichten_leveren_nog_geen_effec t_op

> > At this point (some years into the trial) no clear results yet.
> >
> > I will add some translation later but the images should work without
that
> > for the time being.
> >

> > Roos
>
> Not sure what sort of miriors would be needed to avoid this
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6732003.stm

Periscope sort of mirrors ?

--
Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... But the wind is mostly in your face

Roos Eisma
June 8th 07, 12:31 PM
"Colin Nelson" > writes:

>"Niall Wallace" > wrote in message
>> "Roos Eisma" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Item today in a Dutch newspaper about sttempts to reduce the blind angle
>> > that trucks have - even with additional mirrors on the truck- by placing
>> > mirror on the traffic light post.
>> >

>http://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/article433226.ece/Spiegels_in_verkeerslichten_leveren_nog_geen_effec t_op
>> >
>> > At this point (some years into the trial) no clear results yet.
>> >
>> > I will add some translation later but the images should work without
>that
>> > for the time being.
>> >

>> > Roos
>>
>> Not sure what sort of miriors would be needed to avoid this
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6732003.stm
>>

>Periscope sort of mirrors ?

The image of the truck in the first article has something called a 'front
view mirror' which I assume covers that angle. But you can have all the
mirrors possible and still not look in them! Or fail to actually notice
what you're seeing.

Roos

Rob Morley
June 8th 07, 03:18 PM
In article >, Niall Wallace
says...

> Not sure what sort of miriors would be needed to avoid this
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6732003.stm

The ones they fit to the front of school buses.

BIG_ONE
June 8th 07, 05:05 PM
"Niall Wallace" > wrote:

>Not sure what sort of miriors would be needed to avoid this
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6732003.stm

perhaps just careful reflection

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home