PDA

View Full Version : Re: Bike Messengers NYC

Tom Nakashima
June 7th 07, 07:08 PM
"Tom Nakashima" > wrote in message news:...

> I used to go down to watch the night races on the Hellyer Park Velodrome
> banked track in San Jose, CA The fixed gear is quite noisy, and when you
> get a swarm of 30 track riders all bunched together, it's a
> pretty eerie sound.
> -tom

I meant when they're riding at 30+ mph bunched together. I imagine they
could
sound pretty eerie statically bunched together.

The other sound that I'll never forget is the B-2 Spirit Stealth Bomber
doing a fly-by at Moffett Field Airbase, CA. As the crowd waited patiently,
a voice came on the intercom that the B-2 will pass overhead in 3 minutes.
Heads were turning everywhere, no sight of a Stealth anywhere. Another
announcement, the B-2 will pass in 2-minutes....still no Stealth in sight.
People were becoming a little bewildered as heads turned in all directions.
The last announcement, the Stealth will pass in 60 seconds. I glanced up and
spotted a tiny black dot, as others did as well. Soon people began to point
in that direction as the dot grew larger as each 1/10 of a second ticked
off.
Looked like a flying black disc as it approached closer and it was dead
silent...
a very eerie feeling. As the B-2 made a low pass over us, it felt like a
shadow of death, and we didn't hear the sound until it completely passed us
by.
A very low turbine compressor sound that sent chills down our spines as it
swished by and slowly tailed off. I'll remember that sound for the rest of
my life.
-tom

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home