PDA

View Full Version : four way stop signs

June 7th 07, 07:56 PM
I just traveled through my "favorite" four way stop signs. It seems
as if drivers do not think I deserve my turn. Maybe I should just walk
across, and if they hit me they hit a pedestrian instead of the
invisible biker.

Tom

Ron Hardin
June 7th 07, 08:27 PM
wrote:

> I just traveled through my "favorite" four way stop signs. It seems
> as if drivers do not think I deserve my turn. Maybe I should just walk
> across, and if they hit me they hit a pedestrian instead of the
> invisible biker.
>
> Tom

The usual case is that you can't get the drivers to take their turns ;
instead they want to beckon you to go ahead, which is okay except you
can't see them owing to glass reflections, so it's a standoff.

The way out is never to look at them directly, just out of side
vision, to take your turn.
--
Ron Hardin

brink[_2_]
June 7th 07, 08:38 PM
"Ron Hardin" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>>
>> I just traveled through my "favorite" four way stop signs. It seems
>> as if drivers do not think I deserve my turn. Maybe I should just walk
>> across, and if they hit me they hit a pedestrian instead of the
>> invisible biker.
>>
>> Tom
>
> The usual case is that you can't get the drivers to take their turns ;
> instead they want to beckon you to go ahead, which is okay except you
> can't see them owing to glass reflections, so it's a standoff.
>
> The way out is never to look at them directly, just out of side
> vision, to take your turn.

My experience is the same; most drivers seem very apprehensive around
bicyclists, apparently very afraid to come close to a collision at those
4-way stops. Part of it is that at a 4-way stop I don't usually come to a
full stop, I come as close to as I can standing, but hate to put the foot
down unless totally necessary. So I cut the cars some slack, they may not
be used to seeing a bike doing a stand....

Hope that seems OK to y'all...

brink

Art Harris
June 8th 07, 02:34 PM
"tombates" wrote:
> I just traveled through my "favorite" four way stop signs. It seems
> as if drivers do not think I deserve my turn. Maybe I should just walk
> across, and if they hit me they hit a pedestrian instead of the
> invisible biker.

4-way stop signs are even a problem with cars. It either turns into a
politeness contest (where the driver with the right of way insists on
yielding to the other driver), or an aggressive driver tries to gain
an advantage by, well, being aggressive. There are often multiple
false starts and stops until everyone gets through the intersection.

When bikes are involved, about half the motorists expect the cyclist
to yield no matter what, and the other half expect the bike to just
blast through.

My technique is to follow the law. Yield to a vehicle that is at the
intersection before you. If you arrive at the same time, the vehicle
to the right has the right of way.

Use your body language and lane positioning, and (if necessary) hand
signals or shouts to let the other vehicles know your intention.

Art Harris

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home