PDA

View Full Version : bikes for BIG guys

me
June 8th 07, 04:46 AM
Does anyone know of an off the shelf bike for a 6'8" 330lb guy with BIG
feet?

June 8th 07, 09:45 AM
On Jun 8, 5:46 am, me > wrote:
> Does anyone know of an off the shelf bike for a 6'8" 330lb guy with BIG
> feet?

The 62cm Surly Long Haul Trucker might do the trick:

http://www.surlybikes.com/lht_comp.html

As for big feet, I wear US 15 and I don't have problems with clearance
on most bikes.

330lb is a lot, but not outrageous. Is the 330 there to stay?

The Long Haul Trucker has a long wheelbase which will be nice when you
are so far off the ground. The 62 should work unless you have super
long legs and arms.

Joseph

Michael Warner[_2_]
June 8th 07, 12:59 PM
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 03:46:03 GMT, me wrote:

> Does anyone know of an off the shelf bike for a 6'8" 330lb guy with BIG
> feet?

That'd be one large, sturdy shelf :-)

sschoe2
June 8th 07, 09:19 PM
On Jun 7, 10:46 pm, me > wrote:
> Does anyone know of an off the shelf bike for a 6'8" 330lb guy with BIG
> feet?

The 25" trek 520 Is also a good match. You shouldn't have too much
trouble finding a trek dealer that can order you one. However, it's
rare to find a store that normally stocks any touring bikes let alone
one the right size. I actually started out around 330 pounds on a
2000 trek 820 mountain bike. Thanks in part to the bike, I now weigh
in around 190 [5' 11"]. Whatever bike you get, make sure it has 36
spokes especially on the rear

d wells
June 8th 07, 09:56 PM
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 01:45:04 -0700, "
> wrote:

>On Jun 8, 5:46 am, me > wrote:
>> Does anyone know of an off the shelf bike for a 6'8" 330lb guy with BIG
>> feet?
>
>The 62cm Surly Long Haul Trucker might do the trick:
>
>http://www.surlybikes.com/lht_comp.html
>
>As for big feet, I wear US 15 and I don't have problems with clearance
>on most bikes.
>
>330lb is a lot, but not outrageous. Is the 330 there to stay?
>
>The Long Haul Trucker has a long wheelbase which will be nice when you
>are so far off the ground. The 62 should work unless you have super
>long legs and arms.
>
>Joseph

You know what they say about guys with big feet ... maybe he's looking
for a special saddle.

(However, I wear 14's and find an off-the-shelf saddle works well
enough.)

mark
June 9th 07, 03:58 AM
me wrote:
> Does anyone know of an off the shelf bike for a 6'8" 330lb guy with BIG
> feet?

Strictly speaking it's an off the shelf frame and the buyer chooses the
components, but Rivendell's Atlantis is available in a 68 cm frame (26
3/4 " for the non-metrically inclined). It will accept tires as wide as
700x55, or 2.16", which could be real useful for a big person. It's
expensive, but Rivendell tends to emphasize strength and durability in
their frame designs, and they favor an upright riding position that
should be more comfortable for a bigger person. Since the Atlantis is
meant for loaded touring it should be able to cope with the load of a
big person instead of a medium or small person with lots of touring gear.

HTH,
mark

me
June 9th 07, 06:10 AM
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 03:46:03 +0000, me wrote:

> Does anyone know of an off the shelf bike for a 6'8" 330lb guy with BIG
> feet?

Thanks for the ideas people.

Dennis Ferguson
June 9th 07, 07:34 AM
On 2007-06-09, mark > wrote:
> me wrote:
>> Does anyone know of an off the shelf bike for a 6'8" 330lb guy with BIG
>> feet?
>>
> Strictly speaking it's an off the shelf frame and the buyer chooses the
> components, but Rivendell's Atlantis is available in a 68 cm frame (26
> 3/4 " for the non-metrically inclined). It will accept tires as wide as
> 700x55, or 2.16", which could be real useful for a big person. It's
> expensive, but Rivendell tends to emphasize strength and durability in
> their frame designs, and they favor an upright riding position that
> should be more comfortable for a bigger person. Since the Atlantis is
> meant for loaded touring it should be able to cope with the load of a
> big person instead of a medium or small person with lots of touring gear.

At that price and order lead time, however, I think I'd be more tempted
by either the Co-Motion Americano or the Co-Motion Mazama. Both are single
bikes built with tandem tubing and wheels (which typically carry well over
330 pounds when used with a tandem).

Dennis Ferguson

Forbes B-Black
June 9th 07, 07:39 PM
On Jun 7, 8:46 pm, me > wrote:
> Does anyone know of an off the shelf bike for a 6'8" 330lb guy with BIG
> feet?

I am 6'6" and 255lb. I have size 15 feet. I got fed up with not
having any frames available which were big enough for me, so I
designed my own. Forget 62cm bikes! Guys our size need MUCH larger
frames in order to be comfortable. Allan Wanta in California built me
a prototype, which worked well. I got in touch with a trading partner
in Taiwan and asked him to take my design into production.

I just received word that my 6 sample "2XLT" frames from Taiwan have
arrived in port in Los Angeles. I should be able to pick them up next
week.

These are "virtual" 68cm frames made from butted 7005 aluminum
cyclocross tubing. The top tube slopes up 5cm from the seat tube to
the head tube, so the frame measurement at the seat tube is 63cm
center-to-top. The horizontal measurement across the top tube is
>63cm.

Frame design is classic "sport touring" geometry in terms of angles.
I made the chainstays extra long to accomodate big feet. The frames
are built for 700C wheels. I designed the frame to handle wide tires
and fenders.

The frames come with beefy carbon forks. They would work very well
for someone 6'8"/330lb.

I will be building up a couple of the frames and testing them
thoroughly. After that, I will sell some as frame/fork combos, and I
will sell others as complete bikes.

My current pricing estimate is $700 for the frame and fork. An
Ultegra-equipped complete build should cost somewhere around $2000.

Let me know if anyone is interested. The best e-mail for inquiries is
fbagatelleblackATcyclesvalhallaDOTcom.

Yours,

Forbes Bagatelle-Black
Proprietor, Cycles Valhalla