PDA

View Full Version : HG37 Upgrade

June 8th 07, 07:00 PM
Trying to find a replacement for the std HG37 on my Peloton 7000. The
smallest cog is a 14 which is a little low with a 48 chain ring.
Searched the net but can not find a suitable combinations, plenty of
11-34, but that will stretch the chain beyond its capability with std
derailleur. Would really like a 11 or 12 anyone go a similar route??

Michael

Clive George
June 8th 07, 07:11 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Trying to find a replacement for the std HG37 on my Peloton 7000. The
> smallest cog is a 14 which is a little low with a 48 chain ring.
> Searched the net but can not find a suitable combinations, plenty of
> 11-34, but that will stretch the chain beyond its capability with std
> derailleur. Would really like a 11 or 12 anyone go a similar route??

You used to be able to get 7 speed freewheels with 12t small cogs.
Unfortunately the only bikes you'll find freewheels on these days are very
much at the bottom of the market, and the range of what's available reflects
that.

Cassettes have replaced freewheels pretty much completely these days. So one
option is to get a new back wheel - which needn't be that expensive.

Or what you may be able to do is get a 11-34, then take it apart. Take the
34t one off, and put the biggest one from your current freewheel on
instead - IME the big cogs don't wear nearly as much or suffer as much from
skipping, since there's more chain engaged. See if you can work out how to
get the sprockets off your current freewheel - if you can, maybe worth a
try? (looks like tapping the lockring off with a hammer/punch may be an
option. Or the little ones may be screwed on - 2 chain whips to remove.)

cheers,
clive

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home