PDA

View Full Version : Good light combo for towpath use

TimB[_2_]
June 9th 07, 12:20 AM
I'm soon going to be commuting along an unlit towpath every day. I'm
currently using a Cateye HL200, which is adequate enough as a
spotlight for slow speeds, but I'd like to complement it with
something with a bit more range. Any recommendations? Ideally I'd like
to stay below the £50 mark, but I don't mind going higher if needs
be.

Thanks

elyob
June 9th 07, 01:46 AM
I was just going to say lumicycles, but then you said £50 ... but I'd now
suggest build your own Lumi's ...

I've heard that with a little electronic expertise, it's easy ....

TimB[_2_]
June 9th 07, 02:01 AM
On 9 Jun, 01:46, "elyob" > wrote:
> I was just going to say lumicycles, but then you said £50 ... but I'd now
> suggest build your own Lumi's ...
>
> I've heard that with a little electronic expertise, it's easy ....

Thanks....I've just done a bit of reading up on the subject, and it
doesn't look spectacularly difficult. Certainly worth a go for the
price of a bit of pipe and some batteries which I'd use anyway!

POHB
June 11th 07, 08:50 AM
On 9 Jun, 02:01, TimB > wrote:
> On 9 Jun, 01:46, "elyob" > wrote:
>
> > I was just going to say lumicycles, but then you said £50 ... but I'd now
> > suggest build your own Lumi's ...
>
> > I've heard that with a little electronic expertise, it's easy ....
>
> Thanks....I've just done a bit of reading up on the subject, and it
> doesn't look spectacularly difficult. Certainly worth a go for the
> price of a bit of pipe and some batteries which I'd use anyway!

I used one of these all winter for an unlit towpath commute, fits your
budget.
I bought it having spent several evenings faffing about trying to
build my own only to find the halogen bulb melting the plastic housing
I was trying to use.

POHB
June 11th 07, 08:52 AM
On 11 Jun, 08:50, POHB > wrote:
> On 9 Jun, 02:01, TimB > wrote:
>
> > On 9 Jun, 01:46, "elyob" > wrote:
>
> > > I was just going to say lumicycles, but then you said £50 ... but I'd now
> > > suggest build your own Lumi's ...
>
> > > I've heard that with a little electronic expertise, it's easy ....
>
> > Thanks....I've just done a bit of reading up on the subject, and it
> > doesn't look spectacularly difficult. Certainly worth a go for the
> > price of a bit of pipe and some batteries which I'd use anyway!
>
> I used one of these all winter for an unlit towpath commute, fits your
> budget.
> I bought it having spent several evenings faffing about trying to
> build my own only to find the halogen bulb melting the plastic housing
> I was trying to use.

Err, forgot the link, Electron 5w+10W combo like this
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15442

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home