PDA

View Full Version : Declining courtesy among cyclists?

Anthony Campbell
June 10th 07, 08:19 AM
It's always been traditional for cyclists out in the country to greet
each other, at least with a nod or a wave, when passing on the road, and
to utter a greeting of some sort when overtaking. At least four times in
the last few months I've been overtaken in complete silence while out in
Hertfordshire roads. These were presumably experienced cyclists; at
least, they were going pretty fast and riding expensive machines. Does
this mean that the old customs are dying out? It seems a pity if so.

--
Anthony Campbell -
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian

naked_draughtsman[_2_]
June 10th 07, 08:49 AM
"Anthony Campbell" > wrote in message
> It's always been traditional for cyclists out in the country to greet
> each other, at least with a nod or a wave, when passing on the road, and
> to utter a greeting of some sort when overtaking. At least four times in
> the last few months I've been overtaken in complete silence while out in
> Hertfordshire roads. These were presumably experienced cyclists; at
> least, they were going pretty fast and riding expensive machines. Does
> this mean that the old customs are dying out? It seems a pity if so.

There was a thread on this a while ago, but can't remember the outcome.
Most other cyclists I see say hello (more now than in the winter) and I
should probably do the same as it's a bit more friendly than giving a nod.
--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me

Tony Raven[_2_]
June 10th 07, 08:59 AM
Anthony Campbell wrote on 10/06/2007 08:19 +0100:
> It's always been traditional for cyclists out in the country to greet
> each other, at least with a nod or a wave, when passing on the road, and
> to utter a greeting of some sort when overtaking. At least four times in
> the last few months I've been overtaken in complete silence while out in
> Hertfordshire roads. These were presumably experienced cyclists; at
> least, they were going pretty fast and riding expensive machines. Does
> this mean that the old customs are dying out? It seems a pity if so.

I don't think so. I don't greet everyone I meet when out walking, I
don't wave to all the other drivers when I am in the car and I don't
wave or talk to all the other cyclists when I am out cycling. I can
remember a time when people used to wave or flash their lights to anyone
driving the same make of car as them and the RAC and AA patrols used to
salute members (who carried a badge on the front of their car to
identify themselves). But those days are long gone along with the bow
ties and DJs of the Radio 4 newsreaders.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Rob Morley
June 10th 07, 10:16 AM
In article >, Tony Raven
says...
> Anthony Campbell wrote on 10/06/2007 08:19 +0100:
> > It's always been traditional for cyclists out in the country to greet
> > each other, at least with a nod or a wave, when passing on the road, and
> > to utter a greeting of some sort when overtaking. At least four times in
> > the last few months I've been overtaken in complete silence while out in
> > Hertfordshire roads. These were presumably experienced cyclists; at
> > least, they were going pretty fast and riding expensive machines. Does
> > this mean that the old customs are dying out? It seems a pity if so.
> >

> I don't think so. I don't greet everyone I meet when out walking, I
> don't wave to all the other drivers when I am in the car and I don't
> wave or talk to all the other cyclists when I am out cycling. I can
> remember a time when people used to wave or flash their lights to anyone
> driving the same make of car as them and the RAC and AA patrols used to
> salute members (who carried a badge on the front of their car to
> identify themselves). But those days are long gone along with the bow
> ties and DJs of the Radio 4 newsreaders.

When mountain bikes were the exception rather than the norm some of us
used to give each other the thumbshift salute (raise fist and wiggle
thumb) - the action of newer shifters doesn't lend itself to such a
distinctive gesture. :-)

Peter Clinch
June 10th 07, 10:40 AM
Tony Raven wrote:

> I don't think so. I don't greet everyone I meet when out walking, I
> don't wave to all the other drivers when I am in the car and I don't
> wave or talk to all the other cyclists when I am out cycling. I can
> remember a time when people used to wave or flash their lights to anyone
> driving the same make of car as them and the RAC and AA patrols used to
> salute members (who carried a badge on the front of their car to
> identify themselves). But those days are long gone along with the bow
> ties and DJs of the Radio 4 newsreaders.

Partly it's a population thing: with increasing numbers of cyclists who
are in turn less likely to be part of a clique of Weird People there's
less inclination for cycling being an inclusive "club".

In NL recently we passed /thousands/ of cyclists over the week we were
there. About half a dozen waved... all the other ones on 'bents, that is.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Adam Lea
June 10th 07, 02:29 PM
"Tony Raven" > wrote in message
> Anthony Campbell wrote on 10/06/2007 08:19 +0100:
>> It's always been traditional for cyclists out in the country to greet
>> each other, at least with a nod or a wave, when passing on the road, and
>> to utter a greeting of some sort when overtaking. At least four times in
>> the last few months I've been overtaken in complete silence while out in
>> Hertfordshire roads. These were presumably experienced cyclists; at
>> least, they were going pretty fast and riding expensive machines. Does
>> this mean that the old customs are dying out? It seems a pity if so.
>>

> I don't think so. I don't greet everyone I meet when out walking, I don't
> wave to all the other drivers when I am in the car and I don't wave or
> talk to all the other cyclists when I am out cycling. I can remember a
> time when people used to wave or flash their lights to anyone driving the
> same make of car as them and the RAC and AA patrols used to salute members
> (who carried a badge on the front of their car to identify themselves).
> But those days are long gone along with the bow ties and DJs of the Radio
> 4 newsreaders.

I think it has a lot to do with whether you are out for leisure or utility
purposes. I don't greet everyone I see in the street when walking but if I
am hiking in the hills then it seems to be customary to smile and say hello
to passing walkers. I guess it is something to do with friendliness towards
people with a shared interest.

Nat
June 10th 07, 02:56 PM
> I think it has a lot to do with whether you are out for leisure or utility
> purposes. I don't greet everyone I see in the street when walking but if I
> am hiking in the hills then it seems to be customary to smile and say hello
> to passing walkers. I guess it is something to do with friendliness towards
> people with a shared interest.- Hide quoted text -

When I have got my hea down in the tri's, I must admit I only give a
smile. However, my commute takes me on a very quiet country road. I
pass the same cyclist on the way to work, then cross him on the way
back too on this totally traffic free road. I've given up saying hello
every morning now! If I remeber right, we were once going in the same
direction. I passed him and he did the sticking to my wheel thing for
a while before making a 'humph' noise and droping back. An old grudge
maybe?

I certainly say hello when on utility or casual training ride.

TerryJ
June 10th 07, 04:44 PM
> maybe?
>
> I certainly say hello when on utility or casual training ride.

when cycling in the countryside I always acknowledge.
In London or any other big city, though, I start to get the crocodile
dundee effect: trying to say 'hello '' to thousands of people gets a
bit ridiculous.I still expect a few polite words of conversation when
stuck at lights, but have found that , especially in London,
occasionally the other person can actually be frightened by any sort
of interaction.

TerryJ

Paul Boyd[_2_]
June 10th 07, 05:33 PM
On 10/06/2007 08:19, Anthony Campbell said,
> It's always been traditional for cyclists out in the country to greet
> each other, at least with a nod or a wave, when passing on the road, and
> to utter a greeting of some sort when overtaking.

A fair few friendly cyclists and walkers today. My ride was a mixture
of country lanes and bridleway, and without exception everyone responded
to my nod or wave or "hello" or "thank you" or whatever. I only saw the
after-effects of horses today, but the riders are also equally
courteous, usually.

On my commute though, most cyclists are really POBSOs, and tend to look
at you a bit strange if you even acknowledge their existence.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

vernon
June 10th 07, 07:39 PM
"Paul Boyd" > wrote in message
> On 10/06/2007 08:19, Anthony Campbell said,
>> It's always been traditional for cyclists out in the country to greet
>> each other, at least with a nod or a wave, when passing on the road, and
>> to utter a greeting of some sort when overtaking.
>
> A fair few friendly cyclists and walkers today. My ride was a mixture of
> country lanes and bridleway, and without exception everyone responded to
> my nod or wave or "hello" or "thank you" or whatever. I only saw the
> after-effects of horses today, but the riders are also equally courteous,
> usually.
>
> On my commute though, most cyclists are really POBSOs, and tend to look at
> you a bit strange if you even acknowledge their existence.
>
> --
> Paul Boyd
> http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Every cyclist that I met on today's Audax round Howden and Berverley
exchanged greetings.

Last week I was hailed by name as I hurtled past some York CTC members near
Selby as I was desperately trying to find the 3/4 that I'd lost somewhere en
route on a DIY 200km Audax. Nice to be recognised. There again I'm not
easily mistaken for anyone else.....

Anthony Campbell
June 10th 07, 08:05 PM
On 2007-06-10, Peter Clinch > wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> I don't think so. I don't greet everyone I meet when out walking, I
>> don't wave to all the other drivers when I am in the car and I don't
>> wave or talk to all the other cyclists when I am out cycling. I can
>> remember a time when people used to wave or flash their lights to anyone
>> driving the same make of car as them and the RAC and AA patrols used to
>> salute members (who carried a badge on the front of their car to
>> identify themselves). But those days are long gone along with the bow
>> ties and DJs of the Radio 4 newsreaders.
>
> Partly it's a population thing: with increasing numbers of cyclists who
> are in turn less likely to be part of a clique of Weird People there's
> less inclination for cycling being an inclusive "club".
>
> In NL recently we passed /thousands/ of cyclists over the week we were
> there. About half a dozen waved... all the other ones on 'bents, that is.
>
> Pete.

Yes, I think you may be right about the increasing number of cyclists.
Mind you, greetings don't always go down well. A couple of years ago I
overtook a couple of girls in racing gear on a hill. I geve them a
cheery "good morning" as I passed and received the angry reply: "Don't
f...ing do that, it's so f...ing depressing."

--
Anthony Campbell -
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian
on-line books and sceptical articles)

killermike[_2_]
June 11th 07, 07:49 AM
Adam Lea wrote:

> I think it has a lot to do with whether you are out for leisure or utility
> purposes. I don't greet everyone I see in the street when walking but if I
> am hiking in the hills then it seems to be customary to smile and say
> hello to passing walkers. I guess it is something to do with friendliness
> towards people with a shared interest.

I live in a town in North Lincolnshire. In about half an hour, you can get
out of the town and into the countryside. Once in the countryside, most
people I see say hello.

I was caught out recently when walking around some local woods within a
nature reserve. I saw lots of people and they all seemed a bit perturbed
when I said hello and nodded to them. I soon realised that it was because
although the location was very picturesque, it was still within the bounds
of the town.

--
***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.

Rob Morley
June 11th 07, 01:20 PM
In article >, killermike
says...

> I was caught out recently when walking around some local woods within a
> nature reserve. I saw lots of people and they all seemed a bit perturbed
> when I said hello and nodded to them. I soon realised that it was because
> although the location was very picturesque, it was still within the bounds
> of the town.

Aren't people weird? :-)

Membrane
June 11th 07, 02:07 PM
killermike > wrote:

>I live in a town in North Lincolnshire. In about half an hour, you can get
>out of the town and into the countryside. Once in the countryside, most
>people I see say hello.
>
>I was caught out recently when walking around some local woods within a
>nature reserve. I saw lots of people and they all seemed a bit perturbed
>when I said hello and nodded to them. I soon realised that it was because
>although the location was very picturesque, it was still within the bounds
>of the town.

I never initiate a greeting to other cyclists in built up areas, but I
do in rural parts. In fact I tend to initiate a greeting to everyone
who's out and about and not enclosed in a vehicle out in the country
side. When in Rome, etc.

--
Membrane

Niall Wallace
June 11th 07, 07:49 PM
"mb" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:05:36 +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
>> A couple of years ago I
>> overtook a couple of girls in racing gear on a hill. I geve them a
>> cheery "good morning" as I passed and received the angry reply: "Don't
>> f...ing do that, it's so f...ing depressing."
>>

> Prolly talking about you passing them and still being able to talk.

Did similar the other week, climbing fast (er about 10k, its fast for me) i
passed two young women who were climbing the hill a bit slower. "Hey thats
not fair" said one "Quick grab him" said the other. I was breathing too fast
to do little else but breathe. If I hadn't set a target of passing them on
the hill I dont' think I would have got quite so "fast".

Niall

Dave Larrington
June 12th 07, 11:11 AM
In ,
Anthony Campbell > tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:

> Does this mean that the old customs are dying out? It seems
> a pity if so.

With the exception of a couple of grim-bugger roadies[1] encountered near
Gainsborough last weekend, I'd say not. Cheery waves, "good mornings" and
such seem still to be the order of the day.

1 - members of the same club but not riding together, IYSWIM

--
Dave Larrington
The elder stoat leads, in all circumstances.

Mark[_2_]
June 12th 07, 04:52 PM
> two young women who were climbing the hill a bit slower.
> "Hey thats not fair" said one "Quick grab him" said the other.

Lucky git.

Paul Boyd[_2_]
June 12th 07, 06:40 PM
On 11/06/2007 19:49, Niall Wallace said,

> "Quick grab him" said the other....

....at which point I think I may have slowed down ;-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Matthew Haigh
June 12th 07, 08:47 PM
Dave Larrington wrote:

> With the exception of a couple of grim-bugger roadies[1] encountered near
> Gainsborough last weekend, I'd say not. Cheery waves, "good mornings" and
> such seem still to be the order of the day.

I had a few nods this evening, but the only cyclist who actually spoke
to me called me a ba****d when I said good evening to him.

I was overtaking him fairly easily up a steepish hill that he was
starting to struggle on, but he said it with a smile, so that was OK :-)

Matt

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home