PDA

View Full Version : Crack said my 200k duck

Membrane
June 10th 07, 10:34 PM
Intending to break my 200k duck I woke at dawn. Earlier than needed, but
I was exited as I'd been working up to this one for a while. Peeking at
the clock every minute or so to check if it was time to get up yet
seemed silly after a while, so I got up at 05:00 and sabotaged the alarm
that I had set the night before for the unlikely event that I wouldn't
wake up in time by myself. Made the sandwiches for lunch and mixed my
drinks, slapped on the factor 30 because the forecast predicted a fairly
sunny day. The forecast also read warm and humid, so I swallowed my
vanity and put on shorts on instead of my usual leggings which hide my
rather blinding white legs.

For the departure I headed out to the nearby University College Dublin
campus at 06:45 arriving at 07:00. I had calculated that when starting
at that time, ~60% of the 1300 or so participants would have set en
route. Which hopefully would mean that I would have a chance of passing
a few of the slower riders whilst not being passed by loads of others
myself. Motivation matters on a long event, being passed by most
depresses the spirits.

The organisers had repeatedly emphasised that participants *had* to wear
hard shell helmets. Even if I had owned a helmet I probably would have
chosen not to wear it. Why should I for an event held on the terrain
where I ride year round sans helmet; the public roads of county Wicklow
where Ireland's rules of the road apply.

I didn't fancy potentially being criticised by the organisers for
exercising that choice, so I decided to give the check-in a miss and
ride out straight onto the route. I wasn't going to pick up the
completion medal and certificate at the end, so no loss there. The fact
that I also had my earphones and music player on probably wouldn't have
helped to endear me to the organisers, because as everyone knows you're
not safe without a helmet and having earphones in is downright dangerous
as it deprives cyclists from a vital sense.

Weather was glorious, hardly a cloud in the sky, 20'ish mid day
temperature, only light winds.

Turning onto the Stillorgan Road to UCD I slotted in between 2 other
cyclist on their way to the event, I sped up to a comfortable pace and
promptly dropped both of them on the short stretch to UCD, a promising
start. I had stayed off the bike for a week prior to the event at the
recommendation of the event organisers and that showed, I had built up a
surplus of strength.

The day offered a good opportunity to compare myself against others.
Normally I ride solo where I don't encounter many other cyclists. In the
beginning I passed a lot of other participants whilst hardly being
overtaken myself. Although I got a kick out of it, it also worried me. A
moderately fit bloke on a E300/£200 13kg hybrid bike from Halfords isn't
supposed to be able to overtake folk on expensive road bikes. With my 46
years I couldn't put it down to youthful enthusiasm, so I contemplated
that it could be the result of stupidly setting out to fast for which I
would pay the price later.

This was on the early part of the route on undulating terrain with the
proper climbs still to come. On the first real climb to Glencree I was
still passing others, only not as many, and overtaken myself by about 6
riders, although only 4 got away from me. From Glencree to Laragh it was
about 50/50. Things changed on climbing the Wicklow Gap, I was now
passed by many more than I managed to overtake myself. It was then that
I accepted that the early result was down to the surplus of strength,
and I had spent it. From that moment on I abolished any illusions of
grandeur and accepted that I wasn't as good a climber as a fair number
of other riders.

Fortunately my earlier fear of having overdone it at the early stage
didn't materialise, I wasn't visited by the man with the hammer. Using
my own pace I got to the base of Slieve Maan, renowned for being a b%tch
to get up on with about 120km behind you. Here I became even more
convinced of the sense of a MTB style triple. You may be considered a
wuss by compatriots, but it allowed me to spin my way up the b%tch doing
a steady 80rpm. In contrast many riders on doubles were having to grind
their way up using what looked like < 50rpm cadence, or worse stop and
get off their bikes. < 50 rpm can't be good for the condition of the
muscles. Many were wobbling left to right all over the place. The only
riders on doubles that sort of managed to get up it ok were out of the
saddle for most of the climb.

Despite having spun my way up, when I arrived at the summit it took me
some 5 minutes to get my breathing and heart rate back to normal,
usually these drop back quite quickly. Having turned in the direction of
Rathdrum having descended from Slieve Maan an ambulance with the sirens
on sped in the other direction, sadly it seems that a rider who came
after me had a nasty crash descending from Slieve Maan.

The ride back to Dublin was fairly uneventful. I did ok pace wise, I
hung on to the back of a group of 3 riders who were maintaining a
similar pace to mine. After having cleared the last moderate climb out
of Enniskerry the road into Dublin is vaguely downhill. At that time I
looked at my computer to see what time it was: 15:30'ish. This came as a
surprise as I had anticipated that it would take me about 10 hours to
complete the route, I was considerably ahead of schedule. This inspired
me to try and set a decent time. A climber I am not, but on flattish
terrain I can more than hold my own, I picked up the pace and was flying
again passing quite a few others.

I decided not to go back to UCD to clock off, but to head straight for
home. I got back at 16:05. Total ride time home to home according to the
computer 08:25, which means I did the route in 08:00 hours. Total
distance 198km, average speed 23.5km/h which I am pretty pleased with
for a ride that includes 2500 meter of ascend.

Elevation profile:
http://www.wicklow200.ie/2007/images/W200-2007-profile.jpg

Lessons learned:

1) I'm not much of a climber.
2) My current low quality hybrid on the whole allows me to do alright
compared to others using better bikes.
3) The bike doesn't restrict my range significantly.
4) The bike's MTB triple suits my limited climbing ability.

So I've decided to stick with it instead of looking for something
better.

--
Membrane

Brendan Halpin
June 11th 07, 11:18 AM
Nice ride report, but excuse me for picking on an incidental
detail:

Membrane > writes:

> The organisers had repeatedly emphasised that participants *had* to wear
> hard shell helmets.

"Hard shell helmets"! That term is a key indicator of completely
unthinking herd mentality. I'd imagine no more than one percent of
the helmets worn were hard shell, and probably less. Presumably the
organisers are just copying other events which in turn copied other
events, and have simply parroted the hard-shell line without even
thinking it through. Mind you, if they're that clueless about the
hard-shell/micro-shell distinction they probably won't be receptive
to reasoned argument about helmets per se, either.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

bookieb
June 11th 07, 03:18 PM
On Jun 11, 11:18 am, Brendan Halpin > wrote:
> Nice ride report, but excuse me for picking on an incidental
> detail:
>
> Membrane > writes:
> > The organisers had repeatedly emphasised that participants *had* to wear
> > hard shell helmets.

<snip>
> Presumably the
> organisers are just copying other events which in turn copied other
> events, and have simply parroted the hard-shell line without even
> thinking it through. Mind you, if they're that clueless about the
> hard-shell/micro-shell distinction they probably won't be receptive
> to reasoned argument about helmets per se, either.
>
> Brendan

For this event (wicklow200), each year the organisers put this in the
"instructions", each year a significant number of people don't wear
one, and each year, the organisers and marshalls don't care as the
unhelmented riders sign on, go through controls etc.

I think it's got more to do with being able to disclaim liability in
the event of injuries than anything else.

It may also be part of the requirements of their insurers rather than
anything they do/don't believe might be helpful themselves.

regards,

bookieb

bookieb
June 11th 07, 03:50 PM
On Jun 10, 10:34 pm, Membrane > wrote:
<snip>
> The organisers had repeatedly emphasised that participants *had* to wear
> hard shell helmets. Even if I had owned a helmet I probably would have
> chosen not to wear it.
<snip>
> I didn't fancy potentially being criticised by the organisers for
> exercising that choice, so I decided to give the check-in a miss and
> ride out straight onto the route.

As per my other post on this topic, it's in the instructions, but
nobody cares on the day - plenty of others out there with no helmets,
and no one checks at sign on or at the various controls.

<snip>
> Fortunately my earlier fear of having overdone it at the early stage
> didn't materialise, I wasn't visited by the man with the hammer.

I was, and in a big way. First 90k to the checkpoint was fine, OK for
20k further, then started cramping really badly, and feeling sick from
too many bars. I found the heat/sunshine almost unbearable after a
while.
First 100k in 3:55, second 100k in 6:20, and that included walking
stretches of Sliabh Mann and Nun's Hill back into Enniskerry.

I've never thought about giving up before, but I was very close to
cracking yesterday.

<snip>
>Using
> my own pace I got to the base of Slieve Maan, renowned for being a b%tch
> to get up on with about 120km behind you. Here I became even more
> convinced of the sense of a MTB style triple. You may be considered a
> wuss by compatriots, but it allowed me to spin my way up the b%tch doing
> a steady 80rpm.

I don't think anyone cares what you ride. If you get round, you get
round, and that says more about you as a cyclist than a fancy set of
kit and a glossy road bike ever could.

> Having turned in the direction of
> Rathdrum having descended from Slieve Maan an ambulance with the sirens
> on sped in the other direction, sadly it seems that a rider who came
> after me had a nasty crash descending from Slieve Maan.

There was a crash involving some people on a quad bike on that road -
no cyclists involved in that one as far as I know. There may have
been another acident there though - I can't remember a year in which
there hasn't been some problem towards the bottom of that descent...

<snip>
> home. I got back at 16:05. Total ride time home to home according to the
> computer 08:25, which means I did the route in 08:00 hours.

Well done, took me over 10 hours.

>Total
> distance 198km, average speed 23.5km/h which I am pretty pleased with
> for a ride that includes 2500 meter of ascend.

<snip>

> Membrane

Yep, a great day (if a bit hot - did I mention that before?) and a
great event. Big UK, NI and continental contingents there as well.

regards,

bookieb.

Brendan Halpin
June 11th 07, 05:40 PM
bookieb > writes:

> It may also be part of the requirements of their insurers rather than
> anything they do/don't believe might be helpful themselves.

That's quite likely true. What gets me is how often you see these
requirements specifying hard shell helmets, which at least is
evidence that no real thought has gone into the requirement.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147
http://www.ul.ie/sociology/brendan.halpin.html

Tony Raven[_2_]
June 11th 07, 09:24 PM
Brendan Halpin wrote on 11/06/2007 17:40 +0100:
> bookieb > writes:
>
>> It may also be part of the requirements of their insurers rather than
>> anything they do/don't believe might be helpful themselves.
>
> That's quite likely true. What gets me is how often you see these
> requirements specifying hard shell helmets, which at least is
> evidence that no real thought has gone into the requirement.

Almost as much thought as some of the wearers. I was on the ferry over
to the Isle of Wight last week and the other cyclist travelling
carefully put on their helmet before getting on their bike. Except the
helmet was yonks old, the hardshell was cracked with large areas of
shell missing and the underlying polystyrene had definitely seen better
days and was suffering from UV degradation as well as general wear and
tear. But they happily put on their helmet and cycled off no doubt
convinced it would do them some good in an accident.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Brendan Halpin
June 11th 07, 10:01 PM
Tony Raven > writes:

> bike. Except the helmet was yonks old, the hardshell was cracked

Et tu, Tony? It's not hardshell, it's microshell.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147
http://www.ul.ie/sociology/brendan.halpin.html

limerickman
June 11th 07, 10:22 PM
Brendan Halpin Wrote:
> Tony Raven > writes:
>
> > bike. Except the helmet was yonks old, the hardshell was cracked
>
> Et tu, Tony? It's not hardshell, it's microshell.
>
> Brendan
> --
> Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick,
> Ireland
> Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x
> 3147
>
> http://www.ul.ie/sociology/brendan.halpin.html

Brendan - the rules as set out by the IVCA are the rules for the W200:
you're required to wear a helmet.
This isn't a debate.

It's incidental whether you think the wearing of helmets (micro and/or
hardshell) is correct.

--
limerickman

Brendan Halpin
June 12th 07, 09:24 AM
limerickman >
writes:

> Brendan - the rules as set out by the IVCA are the rules for the W200:
> you're required to wear a helmet.
> This isn't a debate.
>
> It's incidental whether you think the wearing of helmets (micro and/or
> hardshell) is correct.

Actually, it's incidental to my point whether there is a coherent
policy in place or not. They can do whatever they want.

My point is that insisting on hard-shell helmets, when they mean
ordinary non-hard-shell bicycle helmets, does not give confidence
that any coherent thinking has gone into the coherent policy.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147
http://www.ul.ie/sociology/brendan.halpin.html

Brendan Halpin
June 12th 07, 09:35 AM
Brendan Halpin > writes:

> Actually, it's incidental to my point whether there is a coherent
> policy in place or not. They can do whatever they want.
>
> My point is that insisting on hard-shell helmets, when they mean
> ordinary non-hard-shell bicycle helmets, does not give confidence
> that any coherent thinking has gone into the coherent policy.

Sorry to follow myself up but I should add that in view of the
reports of the low level of enforcement of the regulation, the
"lack of coherent thinking" may actually be a relatively sane
disregard for it on the part of the W200 organisers.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147
http://www.ul.ie/sociology/brendan.halpin.html

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home