PDA

View Full Version : RAAM

Zebee Johnstone
June 11th 07, 01:01 AM
RAAM is Race Across America, where a bunch of masochists on bicycles
race from one end of the country to the other.

I just like the photo at
http://www.recumbentblog.com/archives/2007/06/raam_2007_1.html

Try drafting that!

I, of course, will be following the progress of the Killer B's , the
Bacchetta recumbent team. (who are less likely to drown in a heavy
rain...)

Zebee

Michael Warner[_2_]
June 11th 07, 02:33 AM
On 11 Jun 2007 00:01:55 GMT, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> I, of course, will be following the progress of the Killer B's , the
> Bacchetta recumbent team. (who are less likely to drown in a heavy
> rain...)

It should be illegal to win any race where you can lie down the entire
way. So that rules out luge racing, too.

Zebee Johnstone
June 11th 07, 02:44 AM
In aus.bicycle on Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:03:57 +0930
Michael Warner > wrote:
> On 11 Jun 2007 00:01:55 GMT, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
>> I, of course, will be following the progress of the Killer B's , the
>> Bacchetta recumbent team. (who are less likely to drown in a heavy
>> rain...)
>
> It should be illegal to win any race where you can lie down the entire
> way. So that rules out luge racing, too.

seen a formula one car driving position lately? :)

Zebee

Bleve
June 11th 07, 03:39 AM
On Jun 11, 10:01 am, Zebee Johnstone > wrote:
> RAAM is Race Across America, where a bunch of masochists on bicycles
> race from one end of the country to the other.
>
> I just like the photo athttp://www.recumbentblog.com/archives/2007/06/raam_2007_1.html
>
> Try drafting that!
>
> I, of course, will be following the progress of the Killer B's , the
> Bacchetta recumbent team. (who are less likely to drown in a heavy
> rain...)

Monique Hanley is riding it as part of a diabetes awareness/
fundraising/inspiration team. See here :

http://www.teamtype1.org/

Parbs
June 11th 07, 08:23 AM
Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> RAAM is Race Across America, where a bunch of masochists on bicycles
> race from one end of the country to the other.
>
> I, of course, will be following the progress of the Killer B's , the
> Bacchetta recumbent team. (who are less likely to drown in a heavy
> rain...)

Soft! Not only are they doing it lying down they're doing it a team!

http://stats.raceacrossamerica.org/2007/reports/overview.html

Go Dicky (Richard Vollebregt) currently in 6th Place. Aussie Aussie
Aussie Oi! Oi! Oi!

Parbs

Resound[_2_]
June 11th 07, 10:24 PM
"Zebee Johnstone" > wrote in message
> In aus.bicycle on Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:03:57 +0930
> Michael Warner > wrote:
>> On 11 Jun 2007 00:01:55 GMT, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>>
>>> I, of course, will be following the progress of the Killer B's , the
>>> Bacchetta recumbent team. (who are less likely to drown in a heavy
>>> rain...)
>>
>> It should be illegal to win any race where you can lie down the entire
>> way. So that rules out luge racing, too.
>
> seen a formula one car driving position lately? :)
>
> Zebee

Damn, beat me to it.

Theo Bekkers
June 12th 07, 12:57 AM
Resound wrote:
> "Zebee Johnstone" > wrote
>> Michael Warner > wrote:

>>> It should be illegal to win any race where you can lie down the
>>> entire way. So that rules out luge racing, too.
>>
>> seen a formula one car driving position lately? :)

> Damn, beat me to it.

And go-karts
Power luge.

Theo

Matt H
June 14th 07, 07:31 AM
"Zebee Johnstone" > wrote in message
> RAAM is Race Across America, where a bunch of masochists on bicycles
> race from one end of the country to the other.
>
> I just like the photo at
> http://www.recumbentblog.com/archives/2007/06/raam_2007_1.html
>
> Try drafting that!
>
> I, of course, will be following the progress of the Killer B's , the
> Bacchetta recumbent team. (who are less likely to drown in a heavy
> rain...)
>
> Zebee

G'day all,

Just came across this on Southern Highlands Cycle club (NSW). Seems we have
an Aussie competitor in RAAM.

http://www.southernhighlandscc.com.au/documents/RACEACROSSAMERICARAAM.doc

Cheer him on.

Cheers

Beanzy

Zebee Johnstone
June 14th 07, 08:36 AM
In aus.bicycle on Mon, 11 Jun 2007 07:23:06 GMT
Parbs > wrote:

> Go Dicky (Richard Vollebregt) currently in 6th Place. Aussie Aussie
> Aussie Oi! Oi! Oi!

Still in 6th place, done 1037 miles at an average of 12.78mph, only
2000 miles to go....

(the leader has done 1345 miles averaging 16.26)

The teams started later, so the Bacchetta team has done 565 miles for an
average speed of 18.66mph, which would put them 3rd in the 2-man upright
team rankings.

The only women's 2 person team has done 488/16.34 which would put them
4th in the men's standings.

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone
June 14th 07, 08:39 AM
Parbs > wrote:

> Go Dicky (Richard Vollebregt) currently in 6th Place. Aussie Aussie
> Aussie Oi! Oi! Oi!

From the RAAM site:

"I knew it was to going to be a sleep deprivation fest for the top
solo riders this year. On his bio, 2nd place Wolfgang Fasching says
his most cherished athletic feat was winning the 2000 RAAM on just 6
total hours of sleep. Based upon my time station analysis, leader
Robic slept one hour last night during which time Fasching briefly had
the lead by 1 hour, 22 minutes through TS#12 in Mexican Hat, UT, but
Fasching slept for 2 hours last night in Utah giving Robic back the
lead. 3rd place Gerhard Gulewicz has yet to sleep. 4th place Daniel
Wyss & 5th place Fabio Biasiolo each slept 90 minutes last night. 6th
place and the first rookie Aussie Richard Vollebregt slept 4 (in
Colorado heading to Durango, he told me he only slept 3) hours in
Arizona last night."

Masochists. Sleep deprived masochists. And Vollebregt's the only one
who didn't know what he'd be getting into...

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone
June 14th 07, 09:22 AM
and another Aussie in the race - one of the members of the Velokraft
recumbent team (the ones on the low racers) is an Australian, Glenn
Druery.

There's a Twitter blog being updated by the team:
http://twitter.com/velokraft

Seems the other team member is sick, so Glenn is riding solo until
Tim is better.

Zebee

Bleve
June 18th 07, 03:19 PM
On Jun 11, 12:39 pm, Bleve > wrote:
> On Jun 11, 10:01 am, Zebee Johnstone > wrote:
>
> > RAAM is Race Across America, where a bunch of masochists on bicycles
> > race from one end of the country to the other.
>
> > I just like the photo athttp://www.recumbentblog.com/archives/2007/06/raam_2007_1.html
>
> > Try drafting that!
>
> > I, of course, will be following the progress of the Killer B's , the
> > Bacchetta recumbent team. (who are less likely to drown in a heavy
> > rain...)
>
> Monique Hanley is riding it as part of a diabetes awareness/
> fundraising/inspiration team. See here :
>
> http://www.teamtype1.org/

They didn't just ride it, they won their class.

Wow.

Zebee Johnstone
June 18th 07, 08:25 PM
In aus.bicycle on Mon, 18 Jun 2007 07:19:23 -0700
Bleve > wrote:
>> http://www.teamtype1.org/
>
> They didn't just ride it, they won their class.

Which is bloody impressive.

THe lone solo woman competitor still in , who I think is also Australian?
Kerry White, is just managinf to keep up the 10mph average required,
but still has a long way to go.

The 'bent teams are still behind the top 2 man team, but catching up
quickly.

Zebee

Parbs
June 19th 07, 09:14 AM
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> THe lone solo woman competitor still in , who I think is also Australian?
> Kerry White,

yes, but resident in the US
http://www-archive.raceacrossamerica.org/files/raam2007/2007raambios/white_kerry.htm

PiledHigher
June 19th 07, 10:13 AM
On Jun 19, 6:14 pm, Parbs > wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
> > THe lone solo woman competitor still in , who I think is also Australian?
> > Kerry White,
>
> yes, but resident in the UShttp://www-archive.raceacrossamerica.org/files/raam2007/2007raambios/...

You do know that it is un-Australian not to claim anyone with any
tenuous link to Australia as Australian!

Friday
June 19th 07, 12:24 PM
PiledHigher wrote:
> On Jun 19, 6:14 pm, Parbs > wrote:
>> Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>>
>>> THe lone solo woman competitor still in , who I think is also Australian?
>>> Kerry White,
>> yes, but resident in the UShttp://www-archive.raceacrossamerica.org/files/raam2007/2007raambios/...
>
> You do know that it is un-Australian not to claim anyone with any
> tenuous link to Australia as Australian!

And that most famous aussies weren't born in Australia.

Bleve
June 19th 07, 11:33 PM
On Jun 19, 7:13 pm, PiledHigher > wrote:
> On Jun 19, 6:14 pm, Parbs > wrote:
>
> > Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
> > > THe lone solo woman competitor still in , who I think is also Australian?
> > > Kerry White,
>
> > yes, but resident in the UShttp://www-archive.raceacrossamerica.org/files/raam2007/2007raambios/...
>
> You do know that it is un-Australian not to claim anyone with any
> tenuous link to Australia as Australian!

Especially if they're really kiwis

DaveB
June 19th 07, 11:36 PM
Bleve wrote:
> On Jun 19, 7:13 pm, PiledHigher > wrote:

>>> yes, but resident in the UShttp://www-archive.raceacrossamerica.org/files/raam2007/2007raambios/...
>> You do know that it is un-Australian not to claim anyone with any
>> tenuous link to Australia as Australian!
>
> Especially if they're really kiwis

Come on, next you'll be suggesting that Split Enz and Dragon aren't
Aussie bands.

DaveB

Theo Bekkers
June 19th 07, 11:45 PM
Friday wrote:
> PiledHigher wrote:

>> You do know that it is un-Australian not to claim anyone with any
>> tenuous link to Australia as Australian!

> And that most famous aussies weren't born in Australia.

Don't know about now but 20 years ago 30% of Australians weren't born here.

Theo
Not me either, but I've been an Aussie for 51 years.

kanangara[_9_]
June 20th 07, 11:58 PM
Parbs Wrote:

> http://stats.raceacrossamerica.org/2007/reports/overview.html
>
> Go Dicky (Richard Vollebregt) currently in 6th Place. Aussie Aussie
> Aussie Oi! Oi! Oi!

Dicky finished 5th! Knowing him, he'll probably be back and racing at
the next 8hr mtb race in a couple of weeks time.

Meanwhile Kerry White is continuing to the end albeit unofficially
after missing a time cut. Gutsy effort!

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/kerry-white-need-i-say-more

Parbs

--
kanangara

cfsmtb[_271_]
June 21st 07, 02:48 AM
DaveB Wrote:

> Come on, next you'll be suggesting that Split Enz and Dragon aren't
> Aussie bands.
>
> DaveB

Start a congaline, Mel Gibson, Gibbs Brothers, Olivia Newton-John ..
'insert boring old plonker' here. At least Jet are from Dingley and
SpiderBait came from the Finley area.

Back to topic, been reading about comparing RAAM vs TdF, ie: whats more
difficult? Other than they're two entirely different cycling events
there's some similarities, such as bicycle + team + long distances.
(der fred)

BTW is there anyone here doing the PBP this year?

--
cfsmtb

Bleve
June 21st 07, 03:16 AM
On Jun 21, 11:48 am, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2si...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> DaveB Wrote:
>

> > Come on, next you'll be suggesting that Split Enz and Dragon aren't
> > Aussie bands.
>
> > DaveB
>
> Back to topic, been reading about comparing RAAM vs TdF, ie: whats more
> difficult? Other than they're two entirely different cycling events
> there's some similarities, such as bicycle + team + long distances.
> (der fred)

I don't think you can compare them at all. They're both on bikes and
go a long way. The RAAM is a time trial, TdF is a stage race. They're
completely different beasts. Historically though, way back when the
TdF was a small number of very very long stages and was run as a TTT,
then they would have had more in common, but not the modern tour. I'd
suggest the RAAM has more in common with ultramarathon running events
(eg Sydney to Melbourne) than a stage race, and the requirements on
the racers physiology would be massively different, like the
difference between Cliff Young and Rob DeCastella.

> BTW is there anyone here doing the PBP this year?

Two people I coach are, does that count? :)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home