PDA

View Full Version : WNBR

Danny Colyer
June 11th 07, 06:54 PM
In another thread, David Damerell wrote:
> I saw two tallbikes and one other tandem, but no unicyclists.

I saw one of the tallbikes. Someone told me that she saw two
unicyclists and neither of them was me, which means that there were at
least 3 of us.

I managed to start near the front and was able to stay near the front
for most of the ride. With the low speed for most of the ride and the
number of stops, the decision to use a 20" wheel and to take a hockey
stick to lean on when stopped was a good one. That is, until the
downhill bit at the end when I didn't have a hope of keeping up (I think
I still finished before most of the riders were in).

I was a little concerned that the saddle might chafe, but on the way to
the ride it became apparent that the saddle would be well lubricated by
sweat.

> Our luck was not in. We got a flat in Trafalgar Square which dropped
> us off the back - we rode quickly up to the tail end of the ride
> crossing Waterloo Bridge - but then near Tottenham Court Road the
> drive chain broke. I've never broken a chain before.
>
> So we put on our clothes and went home. Bah.

That's bad luck. I'd have been seriously miffed if a mechanical failure
had prevented me from finishing the ride. Breaking a chain was not
among my worries, though ;-)

I walked from the Westway Sports Centre (where the hockey tournament
was), and my clothes were soaked by the time I reached Hyde Park Corner.
I put the same damp clothes on at the end of the ride, and rode back
to the Westway. I then went to change into the dry clothes that I had
in my rucksack for travelling home in, and found that the sweat had
soaked through my rucksack and they were no longer dry.

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

David Damerell
June 12th 07, 01:55 PM
Quoting Danny Colyer >:
>In another thread, David Damerell wrote:
>>I saw two tallbikes and one other tandem, but no unicyclists.
>I managed to start near the front and was able to stay near the front
>for most of the ride.

Bah. If we'd decided to try and work forwards from the start, we might
have met you and had time to fix the mechanicals.

>>Our luck was not in. We got a flat in Trafalgar Square which dropped
>>us off the back - we rode quickly up to the tail end of the ride
>>crossing Waterloo Bridge - but then near Tottenham Court Road the
>>drive chain broke. I've never broken a chain before.
>That's bad luck. I'd have been seriously miffed if a mechanical failure
>had prevented me from finishing the ride.

Particularly since I'd gone about 50 miles that weekend and both
mechanicals were in the 6 miles where we couldn't stop indefinitely to fix
stuff. Phooey.

Nice pint on the way home at the one of the three pubs near the Fullers
brewery that's open on Sundays, though.

>I walked from the Westway Sports Centre (where the hockey tournament
>was), and my clothes were soaked by the time I reached Hyde Park Corner.

Yes, it was horribly hot and muggy - just the weather to be nekkid.
--
OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corrido r,standout,time,showexp,hilit
e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruit:okonomiyak i,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores:

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home