PDA

View Full Version : Which HRM

OzCableguy
June 13th 07, 03:02 AM
Ok, so I'm sold on the idea of a heart rate monitor as a training aid for
the reasons mentioned at http://www.cptips.com/hrmntr.htm and
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/234.shtml

But now, how much to spend for a decent quality product that works and
doesn't have any traps like needing to go back to the manufacturer to change
the batteries (as mentioned in the Fat Cyclist blog -
http://tinyurl.com/yukljn)

Originally I was looking at products like the Polar CS200 but it's a bit on
the pricey side and I'd need two sets of sensors for both bikes I regularly
ride and I don't really need a lot of the features like vibrate or to be
able to upload the data to a PC, but those wouldn't be bad to have. I also
have to consider the possibility of damaging it in a fall offroad so a
cheaper one would be better in that regard.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Are the cheaper ones in the $80 -
150.00 bracket like Oregan Scientific and Echowell units ok?

The Garmin gear (http://www.gme.net.au/garmin/outdoor.php) with GPS that
Fatty mentions looks very cool but we're back into the pricey stuff here at
around AUD$350 for the 301, & $500 for the 305 with cadence (+ $88.00 for
the optional cadence sensor) but still, the GPS ability could make it
worthwhile...

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Friday
June 13th 07, 03:37 AM
OzCableguy wrote:
> Ok, so I'm sold on the idea of a heart rate monitor as a training aid for
> the reasons mentioned at http://www.cptips.com/hrmntr.htm and
> http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/234.shtml
>
> But now, how much to spend for a decent quality product that works and
> doesn't have any traps like needing to go back to the manufacturer to change
> the batteries (as mentioned in the Fat Cyclist blog -
> http://tinyurl.com/yukljn)
>
> Originally I was looking at products like the Polar CS200 but it's a bit on
> the pricey side and I'd need two sets of sensors for both bikes I regularly
> ride and I don't really need a lot of the features like vibrate or to be
> able to upload the data to a PC, but those wouldn't be bad to have. I also
> have to consider the possibility of damaging it in a fall offroad so a
> cheaper one would be better in that regard.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations? Are the cheaper ones in the $80 -
> 150.00 bracket like Oregan Scientific and Echowell units ok?
>
> The Garmin gear (http://www.gme.net.au/garmin/outdoor.php) with GPS that
> Fatty mentions looks very cool but we're back into the pricey stuff here at
> around AUD$350 for the 301, & $500 for the 305 with cadence (+ $88.00 for
> the optional cadence sensor) but still, the GPS ability could make it
> worthwhile...

The good thing about the Garmin is that you can use it on any bike and
you can "race against yourself".

Friday

SomeGuy[_50_]
June 13th 07, 03:44 AM
OzCableguy Wrote:
> Ok, so I'm sold on the idea of a heart rate monitor as a training aid
> for
> the reasons mentioned at http://www.cptips.com/hrmntr.htm and
> http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/234.shtml
>
> But now, how much to spend for a decent quality product that works and
> doesn't have any traps like needing to go back to the manufacturer to
> change
> the batteries (as mentioned in the Fat Cyclist blog -
> http://tinyurl.com/yukljn)
>
> Originally I was looking at products like the Polar CS200 but it's a
> bit on
> the pricey side and I'd need two sets of sensors for both bikes I
> regularly
> ride and I don't really need a lot of the features like vibrate or to
> be
> able to upload the data to a PC, but those wouldn't be bad to have. I
> also
> have to consider the possibility of damaging it in a fall offroad so a
> cheaper one would be better in that regard.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations? Are the cheaper ones in the $80 -
> 150.00 bracket like Oregan Scientific and Echowell units ok?
>
> The Garmin gear (http://www.gme.net.au/garmin/outdoor.php) with GPS
> that
> Fatty mentions looks very cool but we're back into the pricey stuff
> here at
> around AUD$350 for the 301, & $500 for the 305 with cadence (+ $88.00
> for
> the optional cadence sensor) but still, the GPS ability could make it
> worthwhile...
>

> --
> www.ozcableguy.com
> www.oztechnologies.com
I bought a 305 with HRM strap and cadence/speed sensor for about $370
from ebay in the US. I found HRM part works better than the cheaper
polar and sigma units I've used before, and the GPS functionality is
great. The question is whether you need GPS or not.

A friend of mine started out using a cheapy Echowell then upgraded to a
more expensive Polar unit once he was sure he was going to use a HRM
regulaly. Maybe that's a good path to good down, in case you decide you
aren't really going to use a HRM.

--
SomeGuy

DeF
June 13th 07, 03:58 AM
OzCableguy wrote:
> Ok, so I'm sold on the idea of a heart rate monitor as a training aid for
> the reasons mentioned at http://www.cptips.com/hrmntr.htm and
> http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/234.shtml
>
> But now, how much to spend for a decent quality product that works and
> doesn't have any traps like needing to go back to the manufacturer to change
> the batteries (as mentioned in the Fat Cyclist blog -
> http://tinyurl.com/yukljn)
>
> Originally I was looking at products like the Polar CS200 but it's a bit on
> the pricey side and I'd need two sets of sensors for both bikes I regularly
> ride and I don't really need a lot of the features like vibrate or to be
> able to upload the data to a PC, but those wouldn't be bad to have. I also
> have to consider the possibility of damaging it in a fall offroad so a
> cheaper one would be better in that regard.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations? Are the cheaper ones in the $80 -
> 150.00 bracket like Oregan Scientific and Echowell units ok?
>
> The Garmin gear (http://www.gme.net.au/garmin/outdoor.php) with GPS that
> Fatty mentions looks very cool but we're back into the pricey stuff here at
> around AUD$350 for the 301, & $500 for the 305 with cadence (+ $88.00 for
> the optional cadence sensor) but still, the GPS ability could make it
> worthwhile...

I use a Polar CS100 - doesn't have some of the flash features
of the CS200 (or even CS400 and is it up to CS600 now?). I've
got wireless cadence and speed sensors set up on two bikes and
it works well. I like the large display although I wish it was
a bit more customisable.

Three of my regular riding chums also have CS100s and we're generally
satisfied. The main problems we've experienced is that there is
sometimes electrical interference with power lines etc. For one of
us, it's always riding near the electrified railway here in Perth
although it never affects my unit. Go figure.

The other issue I've had is that after about 15 months (ie just out
of warranty period) my head unit's middle line of the three line
display went blank. I can still see HR, cadence and whatever is
in the top line. A bit irritating but I have two computers anyway
so it's not that much of a problem. I bought CS100 and now have one
on each bike - the dud one stays on the training bike.

For the dud one, I took it apart after getting the replacement
(from Parker Intl - UK internet shop). I thought there might be
something really simple wrong like a dry solder joint. I was amazed
to see that the LCD display is not physically attached to the rest
of the unit, it just sits on top of the circuit board. I wiggled
a few things, put it all back together and it was still a dud.
Oh well.

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

Friday
June 13th 07, 04:21 AM
DeF > wrote:
> OzCableguy wrote:
>> Ok, so I'm sold on the idea of a heart rate monitor as a training aid
>> for the reasons mentioned at http://www.cptips.com/hrmntr.htm and
>> http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/234.shtml
>>
>> But now, how much to spend for a decent quality product that works and
>> doesn't have any traps like needing to go back to the manufacturer to
>> change the batteries (as mentioned in the Fat Cyclist blog -
>> http://tinyurl.com/yukljn)
>>
>> Originally I was looking at products like the Polar CS200 but it's a
>> bit on the pricey side and I'd need two sets of sensors for both bikes
>> I regularly ride and I don't really need a lot of the features like
>> vibrate or to be able to upload the data to a PC, but those wouldn't
>> be bad to have. I also have to consider the possibility of damaging it
>> in a fall offroad so a cheaper one would be better in that regard.
>>
>> Does anyone have any recommendations? Are the cheaper ones in the $80
>> - 150.00 bracket like Oregan Scientific and Echowell units ok?
>>
>> The Garmin gear (http://www.gme.net.au/garmin/outdoor.php) with GPS
>> that Fatty mentions looks very cool but we're back into the pricey
>> stuff here at around AUD$350 for the 301, & $500 for the 305 with
>> cadence (+ $88.00 for the optional cadence sensor) but still, the GPS
>> ability could make it worthwhile...
>>

> I use a Polar CS100 - doesn't have some of the flash features
> of the CS200 (or even CS400 and is it up to CS600 now?). I've
> got wireless cadence and speed sensors set up on two bikes and
> it works well. I like the large display although I wish it was
> a bit more customisable.
>
> Three of my regular riding chums also have CS100s and we're generally
> satisfied. The main problems we've experienced is that there is
> sometimes electrical interference with power lines etc. For one of
> us, it's always riding near the electrified railway here in Perth
> although it never affects my unit. Go figure.
>
> The other issue I've had is that after about 15 months (ie just out
> of warranty period) my head unit's middle line of the three line
> display went blank. I can still see HR, cadence and whatever is
> in the top line. A bit irritating but I have two computers anyway
> so it's not that much of a problem. I bought CS100 and now have one
> on each bike - the dud one stays on the training bike.
>
> For the dud one, I took it apart after getting the replacement
> (from Parker Intl - UK internet shop). I thought there might be
> something really simple wrong like a dry solder joint. I was amazed
> to see that the LCD display is not physically attached to the rest
> of the unit, it just sits on top of the circuit board. I wiggled
> a few things, put it all back together and it was still a dud.
> Oh well.
>
> DeF.

To fix a dud LCD you use tweezers to carefully remove the rubbery strips
from under the LCD. These have electrical conductors running vertically
through them and connect end on to the LCD surface and the PC board
surface. Gently clean them in a solution of half water, half alcohol and
allow them to dry. Then carefully re-assemble the display. Often where
the conductors in the strip get dirty it causes the display to play up.
You might want to carefully clean the LCD and PC board surfaces as well.

Friday

DaveB
June 13th 07, 04:44 AM
OzCableguy wrote:

> But now, how much to spend for a decent quality product that works and
> doesn't have any traps like needing to go back to the manufacturer to change
> the batteries

I've had a Polar HRM for a bit over 4 years and have only needed 2
battery replacements. The first one was done by a watch/clock jeweller
and the HRM lost it's ability to beep after the battery was changed.
Second time I sent it to the manufacturer recommended repairer in SA. It
was only a 3 day turnaround and when it came back so did the beep (and
yes I know it can be turned on and off but that didn't help). When I
sent in the chest strap for new battery/replacement I sent it without
the elastic strap and they sent me new one complete with elastic strap.
So I don't think it's a trap, just a recommendation with some excellent
benefits.

DaveB

Bleve
June 13th 07, 05:09 AM
On Jun 13, 12:02 pm, "OzCableguy" >
wrote:
> Ok, so I'm sold on the idea of a heart rate monitor as a training aid for
> the reasons mentioned athttp://www.cptips.com/hrmntr.htmandhttp://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/234.shtml
>
> But now, how much to spend for a decent quality product that works and
> doesn't have any traps like needing to go back to the manufacturer to change
> the batteries (as mentioned in the Fat Cyclist blog -http://tinyurl.com/yukljn)
>
> Originally I was looking at products like the Polar CS200 but it's a bit on
> the pricey side and I'd need two sets of sensors for both bikes I regularly
> ride and I don't really need a lot of the features like vibrate or to be
> able to upload the data to a PC, but those wouldn't be bad to have. I also
> have to consider the possibility of damaging it in a fall offroad so a
> cheaper one would be better in that regard.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations? Are the cheaper ones in the $80 -
> 150.00 bracket like Oregan Scientific and Echowell units ok?
>
> The Garmin gear (http://www.gme.net.au/garmin/outdoor.php) with GPS that
> Fatty mentions looks very cool but we're back into the pricey stuff here at
> around AUD$350 for the 301, & $500 for the 305 with cadence (+ $88.00 for
> the optional cadence sensor) but still, the GPS ability could make it
> worthwhile...

If I was starting out again, I'd probably do similar to what I did the
first time, which was to get a cheapy at first, and then upgrade once
I found out what I really wanted in a HRM/bike computer. Given that I
now own 4 or 5 HRMs in various forms, I feel somewhat qualified to
comment :) I have a Polar M52, a S520, a S720, a powertap SL 2.4 and
some other one I can't recall.

I'd get the cheapest I could at first. Don't be swayed by 'features'
that are mostly random numbers and wild guesses (eg Polar's estimated
VO2max, kcal consumption etc). Get a couple of mounts to put it on
your handlebars. Take it between bikes easily that way. If you
decide that a HRM is a useful tool (and it can be, but only if you use
it wisely, otherwise it's just a toy or a distraction) and it fits
into your riding then you can think about something with more
features. If you're riding mostly solo, coded transmitters aren't a
feature worth paying for, and if you're rural or there's not many tram
tracks near you then 2.4GHz transmission isn't worth paying for
either.

I'd probably be looking at the Garmin in future, a mate has the 305
and is thrilled with it - he uses it on his roady, MTB and track
bike(it does automagic lap times on outdoor velodrones! sweet ...),
the GPS is handy if you go MTBing and get a little waylaid, and can
also be used for other 'stuff' like boating etc, but it's pricey and
again, start off with a cheapy to see if you find HR to be useful
first. I'm a fan of the low end Polars, you can get them quite cheap
off the 'net and they are good quality - they work.

OzCableguy
June 13th 07, 08:47 AM
Thanks everyone! As nice the Garmin looks I'll take the advice start out
with something cheaper like the Polar CS100 or Oregon Scientific HR318 and
maybe upgrade to a Garmin down the track a bit. The money saved can go
towards a decent coffee machine. Now which one of those...

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Donga
June 13th 07, 09:24 AM
On Jun 13, 5:47 pm, "OzCableguy" > wrote:
> Thanks everyone! As nice the Garmin looks I'll take the advice start out
> with something cheaper like the Polar CS100 or Oregon Scientific HR318 and
> maybe upgrade to a Garmin down the track a bit. The money saved can go
> towards a decent coffee machine. Now which one of those...
>
> --www.ozcableguy.comwww.oztechnologies.com

I got a CS100 a week or so ago (from Ribble in the UK). I like the
logic tree and the functions available, plus it all seems good
quality. The unit, though big, sits nicely on my stem, not taking up
bar space. The wireless works well. I'm going to get a second bike
mount for my MTB. I couldn't be bothered with the detailed data
available in the CS200 - I would collect it for a week or two and then
get bored.

As to coffee machines, a $15 stovetop bong does the trick nicely.

roshea[_48_]
June 13th 07, 01:01 PM
OzCableguy Wrote:
> The money saved can go
> towards a decent coffee machine. Now which one of those...NOT anything with a thermoblock (though MAYBE some of the new Sunbeam
models could be OK) and (sadly) nothing south of $AU400. Go to
http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines for all you could
ever want to know!

--
roshea

Donga
June 13th 07, 01:40 PM
Ozzie you might get a good deal if you have a look at RoadGrime.com
(Brisbane). Special Ed said today:
"I'm about to advertise a 725, 2 C 100's & 1 C 200. Selling them all &
going to the new digital set up."
.... in Trading Post/Wanted to Buy/Polar HRM.

Donga

OzCableguy
June 14th 07, 01:16 AM
"roshea" > wrote in message

> OzCableguy Wrote:
>> The money saved can go
>> towards a decent coffee machine. Now which one of those...NOT anything
>> with a thermoblock (though MAYBE some of the new Sunbeam
> models could be OK) and (sadly) nothing south of $AU400. Go to
> http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines for all you could
> ever want to know!

OMG! Great link, but I'm not sure I want to know that much!

Leaning towards the Saeco Magic Deluxe going off the price, features &
Choice review - http://tinyurl.com/2xqtpx. They don't give it a huge score
on taste but I'm not sure that my palate would be that discerning anyway.
The ease of use/automatic part is probably more important. + it's a
discontinued model so there's some good prices going at the moment too.

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Dave
June 14th 07, 01:26 AM
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 00:16:11 +0000, OzCableguy wrote:

> Leaning towards the Saeco Magic Deluxe going off the price, features &
> Choice review - http://tinyurl.com/2xqtpx. They don't give it a huge
> score on taste but I'm not sure that my palate would be that discerning
> anyway. The ease of use/automatic part is probably more important. +
> it's a discontinued model so there's some good prices going at the
> moment too.

In my experience full autos are a pain in the date. Bits go wrong, or it's
just not quite right in the way it does things. Get a Via Venezia,
optionally a Sunbeam cafe series grinder, and decent beans (find a local
roaster, or at least reseller of same). Filling / Tamping / etc. really
isn't that much of a chore, and you can do it while mostly asleep. My Via
Venezia has clocked up over 5 years of use, and while starting to show its
age should go a while yet.

If you're in Sydney I can offer pointers to nice places. The machines are
considerably easier to find now than 5 years ago.

--
Dave Hughes |
"Remember - if all you have is an axe, every problem

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home