PDA

View Full Version : Rickshaws commandeered by police

naked_draughtsman[_2_]
June 13th 07, 12:48 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/6745977.stm

Rickshaw riders came to the aid of police chasing a wanted man through city
streets by giving two police officers a lift.
Pcs Ann-Marie Rosier and Sue Beament jumped aboard two of Hereford's
rickshaw-style pedicabs to take them 800m to the other side of the city.

Riders, Ben Matthews and Will Vaughan pedalled furiously across Castle Green
and the duo got their man.

He has been remanded in custody over an assault and breaching bail
conditions.

Emergency distress call

The pursuit began when the police officers got an emergency distress call
from colleagues trying to arrest the man.

As they were on the other side of the city they hopped aboard the pedicabs,
which have a top speed of about 18 mph, for the 800m (874 yds) journey.

Pedicab rider Will Vaughan, 26, said: "We went as fast as we could.

"It was an absolute surprise. One minute we were dropping some fares off,
the next we were commandeered by police. It was fantastic."

Ben Matthews, 27, took the two officers while Will rode as an outrider in
front.

Pc Rosier said: "Our colleagues were some distance away and in need of
urgent assistance but we couldn't get there by car.

"We knew if we ran the distance it may take too long and when we arrived we
would not have been in the best condition to help.

"So when the pedicabs turned up we used our initiative and hopped on board."

West Mercia Police have said the two riders will get a generous tip for
their ride.

--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me

Daniel Barlow
June 13th 07, 01:20 PM
naked_draughtsman wrote:
> As they were on the other side of the city they hopped aboard the pedicabs,
> which have a top speed of about 18 mph, for the 800m (874 yds) journey.

That's a lot faster than I've ever seen the ones in London go, I must
admit. Especially with two passengers.

Did they get blue lights, is what I want to know

-dan

Mark McNeill
June 13th 07, 01:37 PM
Response to Daniel Barlow:
> > As they were on the other side of the city they hopped aboard the pedicabs,
> > which have a top speed of about 18 mph, for the 800m (874 yds) journey.
>
> That's a lot faster than I've ever seen the ones in London go, I must
> admit. Especially with two passengers.

Must have been hard work, keeping up that speed *and* having to shout
"nee-naw nee-naw" at the same time. Or did the plods do that?

--
Mark, UK
"There is some natural law that ensures that whenever civilisation talks

Pete Biggs
June 13th 07, 01:57 PM
> The pursuit began when the police officers got an emergency distress
> call from colleagues trying to arrest the man.
>
> As they were on the other side of the city they hopped aboard the
> pedicabs, which have a top speed of about 18 mph, for the 800m (874
> yds) journey.

I've never seen one do 8 mph, let alone 18.

Says a lot about the fitness of the police officers :-) .......

> "We knew if we ran the distance it may take too long and when we
> arrived we would not have been in the best condition to help.

~PB

Tosspot
June 13th 07, 01:57 PM
naked_draughtsman wrote:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/6745977.stm
>
> Rickshaw riders came to the aid of police chasing a wanted man through city
> streets by giving two police officers a lift.
> Pcs Ann-Marie Rosier and Sue Beament jumped aboard two of Hereford's
> rickshaw-style pedicabs to take them 800m to the other side of the city.

<snip>

Wonder if they jumped any red lights...?

Dead Paul
June 13th 07, 03:40 PM
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:57:26 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

>> The pursuit began when the police officers got an emergency distress
>> call from colleagues trying to arrest the man.
>>
>> As they were on the other side of the city they hopped aboard the
>> pedicabs, which have a top speed of about 18 mph, for the 800m (874 yds)
>> journey.
>
> I've never seen one do 8 mph, let alone 18.
>
> Says a lot about the fitness of the police officers :-) .......

Cycling is much less physically demanding than cycling - speed for speed.

>> "We knew if we ran the distance it may take too long and when we arrived
>> we would not have been in the best condition to help.

Only if they were unfit.

--
___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
/ _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

Dead Paul
June 13th 07, 03:41 PM
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 15:40:38 +0100, Dead Paul wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:57:26 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>>> The pursuit began when the police officers got an emergency distress
>>> call from colleagues trying to arrest the man.
>>>
>>> As they were on the other side of the city they hopped aboard the
>>> pedicabs, which have a top speed of about 18 mph, for the 800m (874
>>> yds) journey.
>>
>> I've never seen one do 8 mph, let alone 18.
>>
>> Says a lot about the fitness of the police officers :-) .......
>
> Cycling is much less physically demanding than cycling - speed for speed.
Cycling is much less physically demanding than running - speed for speed.

Corrected before the ng pedants stick their oar in. :P

--

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home