PDA

View Full Version : Get your carbon bling while you can!!!

Bugbear
June 13th 07, 08:42 AM
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19268.html

Or is this phenomenon isolated to F1?

Friday
June 13th 07, 09:13 AM
Bugbear wrote:
> http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19268.html
>
> Or is this phenomenon isolated to F1?

Greater demand will lead to cheaper carbon fiber as scales of production
increase. Don't forget steel was expensive once, as was aluminum. I
predict that in 30 years carbon fiber will be as cheap as plastic is
today, and there will be a newer, better and more expensive material
that will take over as the "new" carbon. Your carbon bling will be as
unwanted as your old steel frame bike.
Suppliers of bling are just scaremongering to push up the price.
We cyclists can create a new "carbon credits" industry by using up
excess carbon in bike frames!

Friday

Graeme Dods
June 13th 07, 09:56 AM
On Jun 13, 4:13 pm, Friday > wrote:
> Your carbon bling will be as
> unwanted as your old steel frame bike.

Unwanted steel frame? That's fighting talk round here I thought?

Graeme

Friday
June 13th 07, 10:19 AM
Graeme Dods wrote:
> On Jun 13, 4:13 pm, Friday > wrote:
>> Your carbon bling will be as
>> unwanted as your old steel frame bike.
>
> Unwanted steel frame? That's fighting talk round here I thought?
>
> Graeme

Well, I know you like it, but have you tried selling a steel frame lately?

Friday

Travis
June 13th 07, 12:55 PM
On Jun 13, 4:13 pm, Friday > wrote:

> Greater demand will lead to cheaper carbon fiber as scales of production
> increase. Don't forget steel was expensive once, as was aluminum.

Aluminium used to be so expensive back in the early days of electric
power that there used to be an ingot of Aluminium among the UK's Crown
Jewels, it was at that time far more precious than gold.

Travis

Qui si parla Campagnolo
June 13th 07, 01:28 PM
On Jun 13, 3:19 am, Friday > wrote:
> Graeme Dods wrote:
> > On Jun 13, 4:13 pm, Friday > wrote:
> >> Your carbon bling will be as
> >> unwanted as your old steel frame bike.
>
> > Unwanted steel frame? That's fighting talk round here I thought?
>
> > Graeme
>
> Well, I know you like it, but have you tried selling a steel frame lately?
>
> Friday

Nope, I just bought another steel Merckx..got any to sell??

Ozark Bicycle
June 13th 07, 01:30 PM
On Jun 13, 6:55 am, Travis > wrote:
> On Jun 13, 4:13 pm, Friday > wrote:
>
> > Greater demand will lead to cheaper carbon fiber as scales of production
> > increase. Don't forget steel was expensive once, as was aluminum.
>
> Aluminium used to be so expensive back in the early days of electric
> power that there used to be an ingot of Aluminium among the UK's Crown
> Jewels, it was at that time far more precious than gold.

The 'cap" atop the Washington Monument is aluminum, for similar
reasons.

TimC
June 13th 07, 02:13 PM
On 2007-06-13, Travis (aka Bruce)
> On Jun 13, 4:13 pm, Friday > wrote:
>
>> Greater demand will lead to cheaper carbon fiber as scales of production
>> increase. Don't forget steel was expensive once, as was aluminum.
>
> Aluminium used to be so expensive back in the early days of electric
> power that there used to be an ingot of Aluminium among the UK's Crown
> Jewels, it was at that time far more precious than gold.

It's very impolite to look at the Queen's crown jewels.

PS. Solidified electricity.

--
TimC
> As you know, Linus took the word the penguins kept saying over and
> over again, rot13'ed it, and used that as the name of his OS.
So, who's going to record this .au file:
"Hello, my name is Yvahf Gbeinyqf, and I pronounce yvahk, yvahk."
-- Anthony de Boer && Michel Buijsman in ASR

Resound[_2_]
June 13th 07, 10:31 PM
"Travis" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jun 13, 4:13 pm, Friday > wrote:
>
>> Greater demand will lead to cheaper carbon fiber as scales of production
>> increase. Don't forget steel was expensive once, as was aluminum.
>
> Aluminium used to be so expensive back in the early days of electric
> power that there used to be an ingot of Aluminium among the UK's Crown
> Jewels, it was at that time far more precious than gold.
>
> Travis

Apparently Napoleon used to have aluminium plates and cutlery for his most
favoured guests. The riff-raff had to make do with gold and silver.

Mark
June 13th 07, 11:30 PM
Travis wrote:
> On Jun 13, 4:13 pm, Friday > wrote:
>
>> Greater demand will lead to cheaper carbon fiber as scales of production
>> increase. Don't forget steel was expensive once, as was aluminum.
>
> Aluminium used to be so expensive back in the early days of electric
> power that there used to be an ingot of Aluminium among the UK's Crown
> Jewels, it was at that time far more precious than gold.

Yes, the top of the Washington monument in Washington, DC is aluminum;
it was a precious metal at the time
From http://www.nps.gov/archive/wamo/history/chap5.htm :

"To complete the obelisk, the aluminum capstone weighing 100 ounces, the
largest single piece of aluminum cast to that time, was placed atop the
pyramidion on Saturday, December 6, 1884."

Mark J.

BT Humble
June 13th 07, 11:49 PM
Friday wrote:
> Greater demand will lead to cheaper carbon fiber as scales of production
> increase. Don't forget steel was expensive once, as was aluminum. I
> predict that in 30 years carbon fiber will be as cheap as plastic is
> today, and there will be a newer, better and more expensive material
> that will take over as the "new" carbon.

I predict that in 30 years global warming will have forced us all to
live in cities under the sea!

BTH

Theo Bekkers
June 14th 07, 12:50 AM
Friday wrote:
> Graeme Dods wrote:

>> Unwanted steel frame? That's fighting talk round here I thought?

> Well, I know you like it, but have you tried selling a steel frame
> lately?

Why would you want to sell a good steel frame? :-)

Theo

Bleve
June 14th 07, 01:12 AM
On Jun 13, 5:42 pm, Bugbear > wrote:
> http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19268.html
>
> Or is this phenomenon isolated to F1?

This seems to crop up every 6 months or so, and it's bull****.

Johnny Sunset
June 14th 07, 01:36 AM
On Jun 13, 7:12 pm, Bleve wrote:
> On Jun 13, 5:42 pm, Bugbear wrote:
>
> >http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19268.html
>
> > Or is this phenomenon isolated to F1?
>
> This seems to crop up every 6 months or so, and it's bull****.

Bulls excrete carbon fiber?

Ozark Bicycle
June 14th 07, 01:59 AM
On Jun 13, 7:36 pm, Johnny Sunset > wrote:
> On Jun 13, 7:12 pm, Bleve wrote:
>
> > On Jun 13, 5:42 pm, Bugbear wrote:
>
> > >http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19268.html
>
> > > Or is this phenomenon isolated to F1?
>
> > This seems to crop up every 6 months or so, and it's bull****.
>
> Bulls excrete carbon fiber?

In fully formed, bicycle shaped objects.

Terryc
June 14th 07, 02:52 AM
Friday wrote:

> Well, I know you like it, but have you tried selling a steel frame lately?

That doesn't mean that it is unwanted.
Merely that we are not prepared to pay the asking price {:-).

Lets face it, if you no longer consider it good enough, why should we
pay a good price for it?

<dang, don't people realise you don't pay top dollar for second hand
steel for bicycle projects>

Terryc
June 14th 07, 02:53 AM
TimC wrote:

> It's very impolite to look at the Queen's crown jewels.

Old B&S ball stickers?

jim beam
June 14th 07, 04:16 AM
Bleve wrote:
> On Jun 13, 5:42 pm, Bugbear > wrote:
>> http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19268.html
>>
>> Or is this phenomenon isolated to F1?
>
> This seems to crop up every 6 months or so, and it's bull****.

it is indeed. for instance, airbus use composites, but a lot of it is
"glare", not carbon. it's therefore misleading b.s.

* * Chas
June 14th 07, 05:07 AM
"Friday" > wrote in message
> Graeme Dods wrote:
> > On Jun 13, 4:13 pm, Friday > wrote:
> >> Your carbon bling will be as
> >> unwanted as your old steel frame bike.
> >
> > Unwanted steel frame? That's fighting talk round here I thought?
> >
> > Graeme
> >

> Well, I know you like it, but have you tried selling a steel frame
lately?

> Friday

No, but I bought 3 of them in the past 2 weeks.

Resound[_2_]
June 16th 07, 03:24 AM
"Johnny Sunset" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Jun 13, 7:12 pm, Bleve wrote:
>> On Jun 13, 5:42 pm, Bugbear wrote:
>>
>> >http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19268.html
>>
>> > Or is this phenomenon isolated to F1?
>>
>> This seems to crop up every 6 months or so, and it's bull****.
>
> Bulls excrete carbon fiber?
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

They will if you feed them carbon fibre.

Michael Press
June 16th 07, 07:35 AM
In article
. com>
,
Bugbear > wrote:

> http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19268.html
>
> Or is this phenomenon isolated to F1?

Simply collect all that excess CO2 and turn it into
carbon fibre. It's a win-win situation.

--
Michael Press

Google