PDA

View Full Version : Folding Bike Recommendations for NYC commute?

June 19th 07, 04:39 AM
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I live in Brooklyn (Park Slope) and want to
get a folding bike to commute in to my job in Manhattan (10.5 miles,
door to door).

I've been looking at the Zport

http://www.zportusa.com

which is incredibly inexepensive ($140 - $160), but it's a three speed
with an internal gear system.

I've also been looking at the Mobiky from France, which has 12" wheels
and is as beautiful and radical a piece of bicycle engineering as I've
ever seen, but... it also has only three gears.

http://www.mobikyusa.com/

I've also been looking at Downtube bikes, which have at least nine
gears.

http://www.downtube.com/2008FoldingBikes.html

Has anyone ridden any of these three bikes over comparable distances
and in urban conditions? I'm a little skittish about the combination
of litttle 16" - 20" wheels and only three speeds. There are some
long climbs up and over the East River bridges, and up from the
anchorages of the Manhattan or Brooklyn Bridge to the heights of Park
Slope.

Thanks. Standupguynyc

June 19th 07, 08:45 PM
On Jun 19, 5:39 am, "
> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this forum. I live in Brooklyn (Park Slope) and want to
> get a folding bike to commute in to my job in Manhattan (10.5 miles,
> door to door).
>
> I've been looking at the Zport
>
> http://www.zportusa.com
>
> which is incredibly inexepensive ($140 - $160), but it's a three speed
> with an internal gear system.
>
> I've also been looking at the Mobiky from France, which has 12" wheels
> and is as beautiful and radical a piece of bicycle engineering as I've
> ever seen, but... it also has only three gears.
>
> http://www.mobikyusa.com/
>
> I've also been looking at Downtube bikes, which have at least nine
> gears.
>
> http://www.downtube.com/2008FoldingBikes.html
>
> Has anyone ridden any of these three bikes over comparable distances
> and in urban conditions? I'm a little skittish about the combination
> of litttle 16" - 20" wheels and only three speeds. There are some
> long climbs up and over the East River bridges, and up from the
> anchorages of the Manhattan or Brooklyn Bridge to the heights of Park
> Slope.
>
> Thanks. Standupguynyc

Hi Peter,

3 speeds ought to be more than enough for Park Slope to Manhattan
unless your briefcase is filled with gold bars. I'd go for something
with 20" wheels for a wider selection of good tires. I'd also go for
one of the cheap one to start to see if the whole folding bike small
wheel thing works out the way you want it to before splashing out for
some nice kit.

Have fun!

Joseph

John Kane
June 19th 07, 10:21 PM
On Jun 18, 11:39 pm, "
> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this forum. I live in Brooklyn (Park Slope) and want to
> get a folding bike to commute in to my job in Manhattan (10.5 miles,
> door to door).
>
> I've been looking at the Zport
>
> http://www.zportusa.com
>
> which is incredibly inexepensive ($140 - $160), but it's a three speed
> with an internal gear system.

Never rode it but had a look at it in the local hardware store (not
the local LBS).
It seems fairly well built but I would think it is too heavy for a
commuter. It is heavier than my full-sized Bianci and the fat tires
are likely to give to much rolling resistance.

I think it is sold to local yachtsmen :) It would be fine for short
runs from the boat to the grocery store or a restaurant but not for
real commuting.

Have not seen the others.

> I've also been looking at the Mobiky from France, which has 12" wheels
> and is as beautiful and radical a piece of bicycle engineering as I've
> ever seen, but... it also has only three gears.
>
> http://www.mobikyusa.com/
>
> I've also been looking at Downtube bikes, which have at least nine
> gears.
>
> http://www.downtube.com/2008FoldingBikes.html
>
> Has anyone ridden any of these three bikes over comparable distances
> and in urban conditions? I'm a little skittish about the combination
> of litttle 16" - 20" wheels and only three speeds. There are some
> long climbs up and over the East River bridges, and up from the
> anchorages of the Manhattan or Brooklyn Bridge to the heights of Park
> Slope.
>
> Thanks. Standupguynyc

OldGirl
June 20th 07, 04:04 PM
I had a chance to ride the Mobiky at Interbike and I would not recommend it.
It's a cute novelty, but I found it very hard to ride and would not want to
ride it more than a few feet.

The Downtube folder is very good.

" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this forum. I live in Brooklyn (Park Slope) and want to
> get a folding bike to commute in to my job in Manhattan (10.5 miles,
> door to door).
>
> I've been looking at the Zport
>
> http://www.zportusa.com
>
> which is incredibly inexepensive ($140 - $160), but it's a three speed
> with an internal gear system.
>
> I've also been looking at the Mobiky from France, which has 12" wheels
> and is as beautiful and radical a piece of bicycle engineering as I've
> ever seen, but... it also has only three gears.
>
> http://www.mobikyusa.com/
>
> I've also been looking at Downtube bikes, which have at least nine
> gears.
>
> http://www.downtube.com/2008FoldingBikes.html
>
> Has anyone ridden any of these three bikes over comparable distances
> and in urban conditions? I'm a little skittish about the combination
> of litttle 16" - 20" wheels and only three speeds. There are some
> long climbs up and over the East River bridges, and up from the
> anchorages of the Manhattan or Brooklyn Bridge to the heights of Park
> Slope.
>
> Thanks. Standupguynyc

John Kane
June 20th 07, 04:17 PM
On Jun 18, 11:39 pm, "
> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to this forum. I live in Brooklyn (Park Slope) and want to
> get a folding bike to commute in to my job in Manhattan (10.5 miles,
> door to door).
>
> I've been looking at the Zport
>
> http://www.zportusa.com
>
> which is incredibly inexepensive ($140 - $160), but it's a three speed
> with an internal gear system.
>
> I've also been looking at the Mobiky from France, which has 12" wheels
> and is as beautiful and radical a piece of bicycle engineering as I've
> ever seen, but... it also has only three gears.
>
> http://www.mobikyusa.com/
>
> I've also been looking at Downtube bikes, which have at least nine
> gears.
>
> http://www.downtube.com/2008FoldingBikes.html
>
> Has anyone ridden any of these three bikes over comparable distances
> and in urban conditions? I'm a little skittish about the combination
> of litttle 16" - 20" wheels and only three speeds. There are some
> long climbs up and over the East River bridges, and up from the
> anchorages of the Manhattan or Brooklyn Bridge to the heights of Park
> Slope.
>
> Thanks. Standupguynyc

Just remembered a site you might find useful
The folding bike society. Some of their reviews might be useful
http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home