PDA

View Full Version : PER: Riding from Freo to Perth

Bugbear
June 20th 07, 02:05 AM
Perth riders - given the road works on Curtin Ave between North
Fremantle and Cottesloe, is there an alternate low traffic / safe
route to get from Freo to Claremont? Or are people braving the gravel
path?

byron27[_65_]
June 20th 07, 02:58 AM
Bugbear Wrote:
> Perth riders - given the road works on Curtin Ave between North
> Fremantle and Cottesloe, is there an alternate low traffic / safe
> route to get from Freo to Claremont? Or are people braving the gravel
> path?
How about up Marine Pde all the way and then turn right into North Rd?

That willl essentially get you to Claremont.

Or if you really want *no* traffic you could always take the option
through Mossie Park. Low traffic but a bit hilly. Will come out at
Firehouse Hill.

--
byron27

Bugbear
June 20th 07, 03:08 AM
On Jun 20, 9:58 am, byron27 <byron27.2sg...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Bugbear Wrote:> Perth riders - given the road works on Curtin Ave between North
> > Fremantle and Cottesloe, is there an alternate low traffic / safe
> > route to get from Freo to Claremont? Or are people braving the gravel
> > path?
>
> How about up Marine Pde all the way and then turn right into North Rd?
>
> That willl essentially get you to Claremont.
>
> Or if you really want *no* traffic you could always take the option
> through Mossie Park. Low traffic but a bit hilly. Will come out at
> Firehouse Hill.
>
> --
> byron27

Ummm I probably wasn't clear enough...The roadworks I was referring to
are on Port Beach Rd / Curtin Ave, between Port Beach and the Marine
Pde roundabout, so Marine Pde is no good to me...unless you are saying
there are additional roadworks on Curtin Ave north of the Marine Pde
intersection?

Bugbear
June 20th 07, 03:38 AM
On Jun 20, 10:08 am, Bugbear > wrote:
> On Jun 20, 9:58 am, byron27 <byron27.2sg...@no-
>

> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > Bugbear Wrote:> Perth riders - given the road works on Curtin Ave between North
> > > Fremantle and Cottesloe, is there an alternate low traffic / safe
> > > route to get from Freo to Claremont? Or are people braving the gravel
> > > path?
>
> > How about up Marine Pde all the way and then turn right into North Rd?
>
> > That willl essentially get you to Claremont.
>
> > Or if you really want *no* traffic you could always take the option
> > through Mossie Park. Low traffic but a bit hilly. Will come out at
> > Firehouse Hill.
>
> > --
> > byron27
>
> Ummm I probably wasn't clear enough...The roadworks I was referring to
> are on Port Beach Rd / Curtin Ave, between Port Beach and the Marine
> Pde roundabout, so Marine Pde is no good to me...unless you are saying
> there are additional roadworks on Curtin Ave north of the Marine Pde
> intersection?

I suppose I should have asked: how bad is the temporary gravel path
that is just north of Port Beach - are people riding their road bikes
on that section? What is the risk of getting a puncture along there?

M Bison
June 20th 07, 11:23 AM
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:05:21 -0700, Bugbear wrote:

> Perth riders - given the road works on Curtin Ave between North
> Fremantle and Cottesloe, is there an alternate low traffic / safe
> route to get from Freo to Claremont? Or are people braving the gravel
> path?

stirling hwy ftw.

gumby
June 21st 07, 04:50 AM
On Jun 20, 6:23 pm, M Bison > wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:05:21 -0700, Bugbear wrote:
> > Perth riders - given the road works on Curtin Ave between North
> > Fremantle and Cottesloe, is there an alternate low traffic / safe
> > route to get from Freo to Claremont? Or are people braving the gravel
> > path?
>
> stirling hwy ftw.

Much slower, but why not take the bike path from North Freo that goes
from Minim Cove to Mosman Park and then around the golf club, past the
reservoir, bowling club, Butler's Hump, Devil's Elbow and you'll find
yourself at PLC and near Victoria Ave.
Alternately why not go via Pt Walter Canning Bridge Narrows and
Dalkieth. More kays is always good.
That said, take Stirling Hwy, direct and traffic and hills make you
stronger.

Bugbear
June 21st 07, 07:41 AM
On Jun 21, 11:50 am, gumby > wrote:
> On Jun 20, 6:23 pm, M Bison > wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:05:21 -0700, Bugbear wrote:
> > > Perth riders - given the road works on Curtin Ave between North
> > > Fremantle and Cottesloe, is there an alternate low traffic / safe
> > > route to get from Freo to Claremont? Or are people braving the gravel
> > > path?
>
> > stirling hwy ftw.
>
> Much slower, but why not take the bike path from North Freo that goes
> from Minim Cove to Mosman Park and then around the golf club, past the
> reservoir, bowling club, Butler's Hump, Devil's Elbow and you'll find
> yourself at PLC and near Victoria Ave.
> Alternately why not go via Pt Walter Canning Bridge Narrows and
> Dalkieth. More kays is always good.
> That said, take Stirling Hwy, direct and traffic and hills make you
> stronger.

Your first route sounds interesting...

My daily commute is the only chance I get to do some good kms - for me
a long ride is about 50km / 2hrs. Also my usual route takes me from
Forest Lakes - Roe Hwy - Kwinana Fwy - Perth, about 35km. Every now
and then I like to take the really long way to work, hence the ride to
Perth via Fremantle.

As soon as the wind dies down (and the days lengthen a bit!!) I'll try
the Freo - Mosman Park - Dalkieth - Nedlands - Perth route...

Thanks.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home