PDA

View Full Version : Road Bike or Tri Bike

Ruaraidh
June 22nd 07, 12:06 PM
I am about to invest in a new bike. I am planning on using the bike
to commute to work (approximately 7 miles on London's finest city
centre roads) and eventually throw myself into the world of
triathlons.

I am looking on spending approximately £600.

Having looked through various bike websites, there is quite a lot of
choice in terms of road bikes, tri bikes, road shoes, tri shoes
etc...

Just wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on what I should
be looking for and whether £600 will get me a reasonable enough bike.

Just A User
June 22nd 07, 01:52 PM
Ruaraidh wrote:
> I am about to invest in a new bike. I am planning on using the bike
> to commute to work (approximately 7 miles on London's finest city
> centre roads) and eventually throw myself into the world of
> triathlons.
>
> I am looking on spending approximately £600.
>

> Having looked through various bike websites, there is quite a lot of
> choice in terms of road bikes, tri bikes, road shoes, tri shoes
> etc...
>

> Just wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on what I should
> be looking for and whether £600 will get me a reasonable enough bike.

A properly sized road bike that can do it all. Some nice walkable shoes.

Ken

June 22nd 07, 06:20 PM
Ruaraidh wrote:
> I am about to invest in a new bike. I am planning on using the bike
> to commute to work (approximately 7 miles on London's finest city
> centre roads) and eventually throw myself into the world of
> triathlons.
>
> I am looking on spending approximately £600.
>

> Having looked through various bike websites, there is quite a lot of
> choice in terms of road bikes, tri bikes, road shoes, tri shoes
> etc...
>

> Just wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on what I should
> be looking for and whether £600 will get me a reasonable enough bike.

It's a lot easier to set up a road bike for the occasional triathlon
than to set up a tri bike for your daily commute. Also, as a general
rule products billed as triathlon specific carry a significant price
markup.

Mike Jacoubowsky
June 22nd 07, 06:36 PM
I can only echo the excellent advice already given. A road bike is much
better suited towards occasional tri use than a tri bike for general-purpose
road use. I should think £600 should get you a fairly nice bike. Here in the
US, it would be something like the TREK 1500, but not sure how the model
crosses over to European equivalent.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Ruaraidh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
I am about to invest in a new bike. I am planning on using the bike
to commute to work (approximately 7 miles on London's finest city
centre roads) and eventually throw myself into the world of
triathlons.

I am looking on spending approximately £600.

Having looked through various bike websites, there is quite a lot of
choice in terms of road bikes, tri bikes, road shoes, tri shoes
etc...

Just wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on what I should
be looking for and whether £600 will get me a reasonable enough bike.

landotter
June 22nd 07, 06:42 PM
On Jun 22, 12:20 pm, wrote:
> Ruaraidh wrote:
> > I am about to invest in a new bike. I am planning on using the bike
> > to commute to work (approximately 7 miles on London's finest city
> > centre roads) and eventually throw myself into the world of
> > triathlons.
>
> > I am looking on spending approximately £600.
>
> > Having looked through various bike websites, there is quite a lot of
> > choice in terms of road bikes, tri bikes, road shoes, tri shoes
> > etc...
>
> > Just wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on what I should
> > be looking for and whether £600 will get me a reasonable enough bike.
>
> It's a lot easier to set up a road bike for the occasional triathlon
> than to set up a tri bike for your daily commute. Also, as a general
> rule products billed as triathlon specific carry a significant price
> markup.

Very much agree. It wouldn't hurt to get a road bike that has mudguard
eyelets and can take a 28-30mm tire for commuting comfort. You can
just remove the fenders and swap the tires for the occasional
triathlon.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home