PDA

View Full Version : Run off the road...

Ears
June 24th 07, 08:34 PM
A trucker tried (and mostly succeeded) running me off the road today.
I was able to catch up to him at the next intersection and throw a few
words his way, but the violence of his actions compels me to do more.

I was able to get the license plate # and a few other details
(unfortunately not the trucking company).

Does anyone have any advice to tracking down the company he works for?

RBrickston
June 24th 07, 09:46 PM
In article m>,
says...
> A trucker tried (and mostly succeeded) running me off the road today.
> I was able to catch up to him at the next intersection and throw a few
> words his way, but the violence of his actions compels me to do more.
>
> I was able to get the license plate # and a few other details
> (unfortunately not the trucking company).
>
> Does anyone have any advice to tracking down the company he works for?

Report it to the local police. Even a "he said... she said" getting back
to his employer will cause him to think twice next time.

Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names
June 24th 07, 10:34 PM
On Jun 24, 3:34 pm, Ears > wrote:
> A trucker tried (and mostly succeeded) running me off the road today.
> I was able to catch up to him at the next intersection and throw a few
> words his way, but the violence of his actions compels me to do more.
>
> I was able to get the license plate # and a few other details
> (unfortunately not the trucking company).
>
> Does anyone have any advice to tracking down the company he works for?

Situations such as this are why God made the 9mm Glock.

June 24th 07, 11:52 PM
RBrickston > wrote:
> In article m>,
> says...
> > A trucker tried (and mostly succeeded) running me off the road today.
> > I was able to catch up to him at the next intersection and throw a few
> > words his way, but the violence of his actions compels me to do more.
> >
> > I was able to get the license plate # and a few other details
> > (unfortunately not the trucking company).
> >
> > Does anyone have any advice to tracking down the company he works for?
> >

> Report it to the local police. Even a "he said... she said" getting back
> to his employer will cause him to think twice next time.

You are one heckuva rider if you managed to keep your wits about you
well enough to get the license. Somebody, police or maybe DMV, should be
able to tell you who the registered owner of the truck is. And *DO* file
a police report.

Bill

__o | Roads aren't for cars. They're for people.
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) |

David L. Johnson
June 25th 07, 12:38 AM
Ears wrote:

> Does anyone have any advice to tracking down the company he works for?

No help in tracking it down, but you have the right idea. A complaint
to the company is far better than a complaint to the police, unless the
police can be cajoled into calling the company.

I had a problem with a shuttle bus buzzing me. One call to the manager
and the busses started giving me adequate room when they passed me.

--

David L. Johnson

Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how.

Bob
June 25th 07, 02:19 AM
On Jun 24, 2:34 pm, Ears > wrote:
> A trucker tried (and mostly succeeded) running me off the road today.
> I was able to catch up to him at the next intersection and throw a few
> words his way, but the violence of his actions compels me to do more.
>
> I was able to get the license plate # and a few other details
> (unfortunately not the trucking company).
>
> Does anyone have any advice to tracking down the company he works for?

Don't even try to track down the company. Report it to the police in
the proper jurisdiction instead. You wrote it was a "trucker" so I
assume he was driving a truck-tractor semitrailer. If the plate number
you got was on the truck-tractor it takes all of about 20 seconds for
the police to find the company it's registered to and another 20
seconds to call the company's safety dispatcher. Just one call from
the police works wonders.
If what you have is the semitrailer plate number it's a different
story. That usually takes several calls and a round of phone tag but
if the police aren't super busy, it usually gets done.
For a variety of reasons- mostly poor but widely believed reasons-
don't expect to hear the outcome.
One question though- how did you manage to get the plate number and
*not* the company name?

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Ears
June 25th 07, 03:09 AM
> One question though- how did you manage to get the plate number and
> *not* the company name?

I was behind it when I looked and the load was a bunch of piping on a
flatbed, not a traditional box truck with the name on the back.

Thanks for the advice from all. I'll be heeding it and wishing you
safety on the road.

Dennis P. Harris
June 26th 07, 05:58 AM
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:34:28 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc, Ears
> wrote:

> I was able to get the license plate # and a few other details
> (unfortunately not the trucking company).
>
> Does anyone have any advice to tracking down the company he works for?

don't bother. just the appropriate police agency and report him
as a dangerous driver.

mark
July 4th 07, 02:31 AM
Some state highway patrols have a free hotline to report road rage and
aggressive driving. They can't issue citations or summonses in this kind
of "he said/she said" situations, but they do keep track of these things
and enough such calls will get the trucker a visit from the local police.

I got into a similar situation twice last summer. The first time I got a
license number, called the cops, and persuaded them to contact the
trucking company. The second time I got the company name and a trailer
number, Googled for the company's contact info and called their
management. The next time I saw that truck and trailer (in an alley next
to my apartment building) it had a different driver, and truck drivers
from that company have been a good bit more courteous since then.

mark

Ears wrote:
> A trucker tried (and mostly succeeded) running me off the road today.
> I was able to catch up to him at the next intersection and throw a few
> words his way, but the violence of his actions compels me to do more.
>
> I was able to get the license plate # and a few other details
> (unfortunately not the trucking company).
>
> Does anyone have any advice to tracking down the company he works for?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home