PDA

View Full Version : Half-century, not out--WARNING LONG

Luigi de Guzman
June 26th 07, 05:24 AM
51 miles today: my front door in Fairfax to Four Mile Run and back again.

I am ashamed to admit that my average speed was even slower than it's been
lately--maybe 8.5 mph. But on the positive side, I did complete the
half-century.

The trip out was great fun--rolling easy at a 10 mph average, taking
breaks, enjoying the scenery. I'm kicking myself for not bringing a
camera: the Mount Vernon Trail was beautiful today, with great views of
the monuments of Washington shimmering in the sunshine. I paused to watch
the planes land at National Airport.

Rolled down to Four Mile Run. The Four Mile Run area was my first
neighborhood in the US--my family all crammed into a studio apartment
there, house-sitting for a Filipino friend-of-a-friend who had gone back
to the 'pinas for the summer. The neighborhood had changed a bit in the
intervening years, but there was still good and tasty Salvadorean food to
be found easily.

I locked my bike up at a strip mall whose main tenants were a laundromat,
a check-cashing service, a dollar store...and Veronica's Bakery, a
Salvadorean bakery/diner. I staggered in and ordered two pupusas (cheese &
bean), a tamal de elote (a tamal that's just corn), and a horchata to cool
off.

«y el tamal--¿lo quere asÃ* o frito?

Now I was intrigued. Fried tamales? I was going to have to check this out.

«Démelo frito, por favor.»

I settled down to eat my lunch--which was very yummy, and suitably
carbo-heavy--at a table with a good view of the window and my bike. One
other man came in and ordered something and ate it in silence. The CD
player blared tinny ranchera music while the lady behind the counter sang
along. A young guy came in to shoot the breeze.

I mounted up and tried to push on towards Alexandria. I didn't have much
in me, though, so I turned back. Bought a cold drink at a gas station--and
took a bathroom break. Threw a leg over and cranked back up the Four Mile
Run trail towards the Mount Vernon Trail again.

By this time--late afternoon--I started to realize just how stupid this
whole adventure might have been. Every minor roller or hill brought me
bailing out to my granny, cranking v-e-r-y slowly indeed.

Somewhere along the Mount Vernon Trail--I forget where, maybe right around
National Airport--a kid flags me down.

"Hey, have you got an allen wrench?"

I'm a bit surprised, so I roll up closer. He repeats.

"Have you got an allen wrench?"

"Let me see what I've got." I open up my toolkit. I try to have it on me
at all times.

"It's for my friend; his handlebar, you see..." He gestures to another
kid, naked to the waist, who pushes a cheap Huffy to me. Sure enough, the
handlebar has worked loose in the clamp.

I whip out my multitool. "The man came PREPARED," says the shirtless kid,
impressed. "I should have been..."

I ask him what happened. He gives me the old "just riding around" answer.
I fix it, tighten it as best as I can.

"When you get back to wherever you came from," I tell him, summoning my
best kuya voice, "find someone with a real allen wrench and tighten this
up right. Check the stem, too."

"It's not even my bike, see..."

"Ah," I say, smiling. "then let us never speak of this again."

The boys--and the girl riding with them--thank me and take off northbound.
I say a little prayer of thanksgiving that I was able to perform even a
small act of mercy today.

I am disappointed to discover that it takes me a while to reach them--I am
moving very slowly. I wave at a landing jet, hoping some little kid
looking out the window saw me wave. I laugh. I catch up to the three
Huffys not long after. I see the shirtless boy thrashing the bike from
side to side. I take a deep breath, and ride smoothly up alongside.

"If you don't want it to come loose again, you'd better not come up out of
the saddle as much."

I pedal away trying my damnedest to keep the illusion of effortless
motion. It doesn't last long. I'm really dragging now: average speed is
dropping away as I move more and more slowly. I stop at a park bench and
admire the river and Washington for a while.

I start cranking my way back. At Rosslyn, on the approach to the Key
Bridge, I see the 15K bus that might take me back home. I think about
sagging out and waiting for the next 15K at Rosslyn. I keep going, this
time up the (fairly steep, for me) hills away from the river. I am going
more and more slowly, bailing out to the granny.

I get lost at the juncture of the Custis and W&OD trails. I get found.
Some joker passes me on the left riding no-hands. Showoff.

I ride briefly with a hefty dude on a mountain bike.

"Man, what a great day to go biking!"

"Yeah, I've been out all day. Can't waste a day like this."

"Yeah, I just got off of work and thought--I'm gonna go out!"

"Beautiful, though."

"Oh hell yeah. Not too hot, not sunny, a little humidity so you don't dry
out....perfect!"

"When it is cold and there is ice on the ground, you will remember today."

"Heck, when it's the middle of August and there's nothing but sun out
here, I'm going to remember today. " He paused. "All this haze--looks like
it's gonna rain."

"Mm. Smells like rain. I'm trying to get back home before it starts
raining."

"Hey, yeah, I'm gonna be turning around in a bit."

"Yeah, I gotta get back to Fairfax."

He is impressed. "huh."

we ride off. He goes off ahead as I continue cranking slowly. I see him
turn around somewhere ahead in the distance, and I wave at him as he rides
past the other way.

The rest of the ride was a long, slow slog. People pass me left, right and
center. My speed drops off, and I try to focus on counting the miles down.
At Vienna, I try riding on Maple Street for a few blocks. The traffic--and
the fear--spur me to move faster, yes, but I can't hang on. I limp along
on the sidewalk, checking at every intersection, and hating myself for
being out of shape--time was, I used to move cleanly through traffic like
a fish swimming in water. Now here I was crawling on the sidewalk. It made
me ill.

I started laughing outright when I came to a house under construction on
Nutley Street. Yup, SIDEWLK CLOSED--USE OTHER SIDE. **** that. Slo-mo
suburban cyclocross time. I shouldered the bike, walked across his torn-up
front yard, stepped gingerly over the plastic sheet fence. I put my bike
down and got myself ready. I hear a dog bark--from the street. A doberman
is saying hello from a car stopped in traffic. His master turns around to
rebuke the beast--"SHUT UP." I laugh so hard, he starts laughing.

More cranking. I make it to Fairfax Circle and hop onto the circle riding
hard--maybe I'm tired enough that I'm hallucinating that I'm back on
Waterloo Bridge Roundabout?--anyway, I set myself up neatly to ride up the
Old Lee Highway sidepath...at a painful 4 miles an hour. But goddammit, I
didn't walk. I still have some self-respect left.

I counted down the miles. Somewhere near St. Leo's, I ticked over fifty.
YEAH. Now all i had to do was get home. Crank slow, count the last two
hills. Roll back home, where Dad's working in the garage.

"Fifty-one miles." I announce as I dismount.

He looks at me. "Take it easy," he says. "You'll die of a heart attack."

Fifty-one miles.

I shouldn't have taken this trip. I'm not ready. It's too early in the
preparation. I didn't have enough base miles in. I was really hurting on
the way back. And yet--I woke up this morning wanting to go watch the
planes at National Airport, and get there on my bike. I got out and I did
it, and I came back. There's a great deal of satisfaction in that.

The best thing about cycling alone is that I can set my own pace. If I
feel like I need to go fast, I can go fast. If I want to take a long ride
to look at the scenery--well, nobody's pushing me to do anything but that.
Rides like today's remind me why I like cycling so much--and why I don't
really care all that much about my performance, as long as I get to where
I'm going to.

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com

Bob
June 26th 07, 06:22 AM
Great post, Luigi. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Bill Sornson
June 26th 07, 06:44 AM
Luigi de Guzman wrote:
> 51 miles today: my front door in Fairfax to Four Mile Run and back
> again.

{SNIP}

Very nice narrative; keep riding (and writing).

Bill S.

Roger Zoul
June 26th 07, 04:54 PM
Luigi de Guzman wrote:
:: 51 miles today: my front door in Fairfax to Four Mile Run and back
:: again.
::

snip

:: Fifty-one miles.
::
:: I shouldn't have taken this trip. I'm not ready. It's too early in
:: the preparation. I didn't have enough base miles in.

Depends. You got 51 more base miles in! And, you KNOW you can do it. Pace
is everything.

I was really
:: hurting on the way back. And yet--I woke up this morning wanting to
:: go watch the planes at National Airport, and get there on my bike. I
:: got out and I did it, and I came back. There's a great deal of
:: satisfaction in that.
::
:: The best thing about cycling alone is that I can set my own pace. If
:: I feel like I need to go fast, I can go fast. If I want to take a
:: long ride to look at the scenery--well, nobody's pushing me to do
:: anything but that. Rides like today's remind me why I like cycling
:: so much--and why I don't really care all that much about my
:: performance, as long as I get to where I'm going to.
::

Yeah, I know what you mean. Even though you can go at your own pace, there
is a part of you in there that wants your own pace to be faster. There is a
certain fun to going fast, as there is a certain fun to enjoying what you
see around you.

:: --
:: Luigi de Guzman
:: http://ouij.livejournal.com

gds
June 26th 07, 06:27 PM
On Jun 25, 9:24 pm, Luigi de Guzman > wrote:
> [...]
>
> "Fifty-one miles." I announce as I dismount.
>
> He looks at me. "Take it easy," he says. "You'll die of a heart attack."
>
> Fifty-one miles.
>
> I shouldn't have taken this trip. I'm not ready. It's too early in the
> preparation. I didn't have enough base miles in. I was really hurting on
> the way back. And yet--I woke up this morning wanting to go watch the
> planes at National Airport, and get there on my bike. I got out and I did
> it, and I came back. There's a great deal of satisfaction in that.
>
> The best thing about cycling alone is that I can set my own pace. If I
> feel like I need to go fast, I can go fast. If I want to take a long ride
> to look at the scenery--well, nobody's pushing me to do anything but that.
> Rides like today's remind me why I like cycling so much--and why I don't
> really care all that much about my performance, as long as I get to where

So, that sounds like ~ 6 hours of pedaling and that involves some
effort at any speed. So congrats!
It does remind of a story (I think I remember it correctly) of
watching the NY Marathon on a local channel in NY many years ago. The
color commentator was Bill Rodgers who had won the race several times.
After all the real racers had finished and the recreational runners
were coming and along about the 5 hour mark the main announcer said to
Bill something like " well Bill I imagine you aren't that impressed
with the times of these folks." Rodgers retorted something like "hey
I'm very impressed, I've never run for 5 hours at one time in my life.
I'm amazed that all these folks have the strength to run for such a
long time"

Bill Sornson
June 26th 07, 07:05 PM
gds wrote:

{SNIP}

> It does remind of a story (I think I remember it correctly) of
> watching the NY Marathon on a local channel in NY many years ago. The
> color commentator was Bill Rodgers who had won the race several times.
> After all the real racers had finished and the recreational runners
> were coming and along about the 5 hour mark the main announcer said to
> Bill something like " well Bill I imagine you aren't that impressed
> with the times of these folks." Rodgers retorted something like "hey
> I'm very impressed, I've never run for 5 hours at one time in my life.
> I'm amazed that all these folks have the strength to run for such a
> long time"

Life is not fair. When I used to do long runs with other, faster friends,
they'd reach a rest stop or halfway point well before I did; then they were
ready to go while I was still huffing and ventilating.

Years later with mountain biking, same basic thing. Life is not fair.

Bill "camel-tortoise hybrid" S.

Roger Zoul
June 26th 07, 07:11 PM
gds wrote:
: So, that sounds like ~ 6 hours of pedaling and that involves some
: effort at any speed. So congrats!
: It does remind of a story (I think I remember it correctly) of
: watching the NY Marathon on a local channel in NY many years ago. The
: color commentator was Bill Rodgers who had won the race several times.
: After all the real racers had finished and the recreational runners
: were coming and along about the 5 hour mark the main announcer said to
: Bill something like " well Bill I imagine you aren't that impressed
: with the times of these folks." Rodgers retorted something like "hey
: I'm very impressed, I've never run for 5 hours at one time in my life.
: I'm amazed that all these folks have the strength to run for such a
: long time"

I supposed a snip would be too hard, huh, gds?

One thing that may be different on a bike than with running....a six hour
bike ride might be very enjoyable, depending (high heat would be one example
of when it would not be). I'm not nor have I ever been a runner, so I can't
really comment on whether folks find running for 6 hours to be enjoyable.

Luigi de Guzman
June 26th 07, 07:18 PM
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:27:47 -0700, gds wrote:

> So, that sounds like ~ 6 hours of pedaling and that involves some
> effort at any speed. So congrats!

About six hours pedaling, yeah. I won't be joining any club rides any
time soon at this pace, though. I might try to rope a friend into doing a
few shorter rides with me--he's in better shape, but has less bike time,
so it should even out.

But then, that'd mean worrying about someone else.

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com

Luigi de Guzman
June 26th 07, 07:20 PM
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:11:28 -0400, Roger Zoul wrote:

> One thing that may be different on a bike than with running....a six hour
> bike ride might be very enjoyable, depending (high heat would be one example
> of when it would not be). I'm not nor have I ever been a runner, so I can't
> really comment on whether folks find running for 6 hours to be enjoyable.

I ride a bike because I enjoy all my bike time. Time on a bike is seldom
"forced time" for me. Running, on the other hand, has always been
something someone else has made me do--so I hate it.

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com

Roger Zoul
June 26th 07, 08:04 PM
Luigi de Guzman wrote:
:: On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:27:47 -0700, gds wrote:
::
:::
::: So, that sounds like ~ 6 hours of pedaling and that involves some
::: effort at any speed. So congrats!
::
:: About six hours pedaling, yeah. I won't be joining any club rides
:: any time soon at this pace, though. I might try to rope a friend
:: into doing a few shorter rides with me--he's in better shape, but
:: has less bike time, so it should even out.
::
:: But then, that'd mean worrying about someone else.
::

I do most of my riding alone...when I do ride with someone, we just setup
possible meet points along a known route...that way, each can ride at
his/her own pace.

June 26th 07, 08:08 PM
Roger Zoul writes:

>>> So, that sounds like ~ 6 hours of pedaling and that involves some
>>> effort at any speed. So congrats!

>> About six hours pedaling, yeah. I won't be joining any club rides
>> any time soon at this pace, though. I might try to rope a friend
>> into doing a few shorter rides with me--he's in better shape, but
>> has less bike time, so it should even out.

>> But then, that'd mean worrying about someone else.

> I do most of my riding alone...when I do ride with someone, we just
> setup possible meet points along a known route...that way, each can
> ride at his/her own pace.

That's "riding alone" so what's the advantage of riding the same route
(or not) and meeting now and then?

Jobst Brandt

gds
June 26th 07, 08:18 PM
On Jun 26, 11:11 am, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:

<snip>

> I supposed a snip would be too hard, huh, gds?

<snip>
Forget your meds this morning?

Roger Zoul
June 26th 07, 08:21 PM
wrote:
:: Roger Zoul writes:
::
::::: So, that sounds like ~ 6 hours of pedaling and that involves some
::::: effort at any speed. So congrats!
::
:::: About six hours pedaling, yeah. I won't be joining any club rides
:::: any time soon at this pace, though. I might try to rope a friend
:::: into doing a few shorter rides with me--he's in better shape, but
:::: has less bike time, so it should even out.
::
:::: But then, that'd mean worrying about someone else.
::
::: I do most of my riding alone...when I do ride with someone, we just
::: setup possible meet points along a known route...that way, each can
::: ride at his/her own pace.
::
:: That's "riding alone" so what's the advantage of riding the same
:: route (or not) and meeting now and then?

Because we meet up together at the start......and that means we both get out
there. Otherwise, very little advantage. Typically, we start at the crack
of dawn, when it's hardest to force yourself up. Knowing that someone else
is waiting makes the difference. It's too hot here if you wait later in the
day to ride.

Just A User
June 26th 07, 08:24 PM
Roger Zoul wrote:
> Luigi de Guzman wrote:
> :: On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:27:47 -0700, gds wrote:
> ::
> :::
> ::: So, that sounds like ~ 6 hours of pedaling and that involves some
> ::: effort at any speed. So congrats!
> ::
> :: About six hours pedaling, yeah. I won't be joining any club rides
> :: any time soon at this pace, though. I might try to rope a friend
> :: into doing a few shorter rides with me--he's in better shape, but
> :: has less bike time, so it should even out.
> ::
> :: But then, that'd mean worrying about someone else.
> ::
>
> I do most of my riding alone...when I do ride with someone, we just setup
> possible meet points along a known route...that way, each can ride at
> his/her own pace.

So far I have done all my riding solo. I enjoy it. It really lets you
ride the way you feel like riding. This morning I did 30 miles along one
of my routes here in Sarasota county. I felt like pushing myself a bit
harder than my last ride, last week one day about 25 miles average speed
around 15mph, so with the extra effort I managed to average 15.8 over 30
miles. There is much to be said for solo riding.

Ken

Bill Sornson
June 26th 07, 08:30 PM
Roger Zoul wrote:

> I supposed a snip would be too hard, huh, gds?

Take it to alt.cycles.vasectomy.

Bill "delaying rolling out front door...obviously" S.

Roger Zoul
June 26th 07, 08:41 PM
gds wrote:
:: On Jun 26, 11:11 am, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
::
::
:: <snip>
::
::: I supposed a snip would be too hard, huh, gds?
:::
:: <snip>
:: Forget your meds this morning?

Nope. However, you obviously forgot about the notion of snipping.

Roger Zoul
June 26th 07, 08:42 PM
Bill Sornson wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::
::: I supposed a snip would be too hard, huh, gds?
::
:: Take it to alt.cycles.vasectomy.
::
:: Bill "delaying rolling out front door...obviously" S.

haha.

Roger Zoul
June 26th 07, 08:44 PM
Just A User wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: Luigi de Guzman wrote:
::::: On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:27:47 -0700, gds wrote:
:::::
::::::
[...]

I have to admit that I enjoy riding solo most of the time, but I do
occasionally enjoy a riding partner. I also enjoy riding different
locations that I'm not familar with.

gds
June 26th 07, 09:00 PM
On Jun 26, 12:41 pm, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:

> Nope. However, you obviously forgot about the notion of snipping.

Funny on my reader all the previous text got hidden so no need to snip
or to be be snippy.

SlowRider
June 26th 07, 09:03 PM
On Jun 26, 11:27 am, gds > wrote:
> So, that sounds like ~ 6 hours of pedaling and that involves some
> effort at any speed. So congrats!

Yep, gotta give credit where it's due -- 6 hours in the saddle is a
long ride, no matter what the mileage. Speaking two languages along
the way gives it that European-peloton panache, too... :-)

-JR

Cathy Kearns
June 26th 07, 09:16 PM
> wrote in message
> Roger Zoul writes:
>> I do most of my riding alone...when I do ride with someone, we just
>> setup possible meet points along a known route...that way, each can
>> ride at his/her own pace.
>
> That's "riding alone" so what's the advantage of riding the same route
> (or not) and meeting now and then?

This morning my husband and I met up at the start with two biking buddies.
My husband had a stem cell transplant (after a killer week of chemo) 26
days ago, and is no where near as fast as normal, so we told the other two
to go on ahead, we'd meet them at coffee. A ways out we met another biking
buddy, that normally works Tuesdays, so he was on his way home from a much
longer ride, decided he'd head home, catch up on email, meet us for coffee.
So here we are at coffee, and a sixth biking buddy, with a splint on his
middle finger (and yeah, how often do you get that excuse) shows up. Yep,
we were all kind of riding alone, but meeting for coffee was worth it.

(And yea! My husband and I got in 20, fairly hilly miles. He'll be back
soon!)

Roger Zoul
June 26th 07, 11:08 PM
gds wrote:
:: On Jun 26, 12:41 pm, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
:::
::: Nope. However, you obviously forgot about the notion of snipping.
::
:: Funny on my reader all the previous text got hidden so no need to
:: snip or to be be snippy.

Then you need to get a functional newsreader.

Roger Zoul
June 26th 07, 11:10 PM
gds wrote:
:: On Jun 26, 12:41 pm, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
:::
::: Nope. However, you obviously forgot about the notion of snipping.
::
:: Funny on my reader all the previous text got hidden so no need to
:: snip or to be be snippy.

Here is what Bill posted in response to you (indicating that he too snipped
what you failed to snip):

gds wrote:

{SNIP}

[...]

June 26th 07, 11:34 PM
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:08:32 -0400, Roger Zoul wrote:

> gds wrote:
> :: On Jun 26, 12:41 pm, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
> :::
> ::: Nope. However, you obviously forgot about the notion of snipping.
> ::
> :: Funny on my reader all the previous text got hidden so no need to
> :: snip or to be be snippy.
>
> Then you need to get a functional newsreader.

Easy, tiger.

For what it's worth, I'm using pan. I was shocked to find that pan
auto-snipped quoted text; however, by hitting "Q" I can toggle whether or
not the newsreader displays quoted text.

I know, I know. I really should be using slrn, but I'm in X almost all
the time these days. My editor of choice is still vim though.

=-Luigi

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com

Claire Petersky
June 27th 07, 12:15 AM
"Roger Zoul" > wrote in message
> Luigi de Guzman wrote:
> :: 51 miles today: my front door in Fairfax to Four Mile Run and back
> :: again.
> ::
>
> snip
>
> :: Fifty-one miles.
> ::
> :: I shouldn't have taken this trip. I'm not ready. It's too early in
> :: the preparation. I didn't have enough base miles in.
>
> Depends. You got 51 more base miles in! And, you KNOW you can do it.

I agree. Unless you were really in pain or did permanent damage, this ride
did you more good than harm.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

gds
June 27th 07, 04:10 PM
On Jun 26, 3:10 pm, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
> gds wrote:
>
> :: On Jun 26, 12:41 pm, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
> :::
> ::: Nope. However, you obviously forgot about the notion of snipping.
> ::
> :: Funny on my reader all the previous text got hidden so no need to
> :: snip or to be be snippy.
>
> Here is what Bill posted in response to you (indicating that he too snipped
> what you failed to snip):
>
> gds wrote:
>
> {SNIP}
>
> : It does remind of a story (I think I remember it correctly) of
> : watching the NY Marathon on a local channel in NY many years ago. The
> : color commentator was Bill Rodgers who had won the race several times.
> : After all the real racers had finished and the recreational runners
> : were coming and along about the 5 hour mark the main announcer said to
> : Bill something like " well Bill I imagine you aren't that impressed
> : with the times of these folks." Rodgers retorted something like "hey
> : I'm very impressed, I've never run for 5 hours at one time in my life.
> : I'm amazed that all these folks have the strength to run for such a
> : long time"
>
> Life is not fair. When I used to do long runs with other, faster friends,
> they'd reach a rest stop or halfway point well before I did; then they were
> ready to go while I was still huffing and ventilating.
>
> Years later with mountain biking, same basic thing. Life is not fair.
>
> Bill "camel-tortoise hybrid" S.

Roger, I know from other threads that you simply don't like me. That's
OK with me but really on this you are just being juvenile.

Roger Zoul
June 27th 07, 04:38 PM
gds wrote:
::
:: Roger, I know from other threads that you simply don't like me.
:: That's OK with me but really on this you are just being juvenile.

I'm being juvenile when I ask you about trimming your posts? What about
when you did the same thing to me? You seem to be a "I do no wrong" type of
person.

gds
June 27th 07, 06:20 PM
On Jun 27, 8:38 am, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
> gds wrote:
>
> ::
> :: Roger, I know from other threads that you simply don't like me.
> :: That's OK with me but really on this you are just being juvenile.
>
> I'm being juvenile when I ask you about trimming your posts? What about
> when you did the same thing to me? You seem to be a "I do no wrong" type of
> person.

Ahh! tit for tat. OK you win. You are showing great maturity. Answer
one more time and you can even have the last word.

Camilo
June 27th 07, 06:42 PM
On Jun 26, 10:20 am, Luigi de Guzman > wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:11:28 -0400, Roger Zoul wrote:
>
> > One thing that may be different on a bike than with running....a six hour
> > bike ride might be very enjoyable, depending (high heat would be one example
> > of when it would not be). I'm not nor have I ever been a runner, so I can't
> > really comment on whether folks find running for 6 hours to be enjoyable.
>
> I ride a bike because I enjoy all my bike time. Time on a bike is seldom
> "forced time" for me. Running, on the other hand, has always been
> something someone else has made me do--so I hate it.
>
> --
> Luigi de Guzmanhttp://ouij.livejournal.com

Same here. I love skiing in the winter and cycling in the summer,
and the fitness is actually a secondary factor. But only run for
exercise, not because it holds any enjoyment at all.

Roger Zoul
June 27th 07, 07:08 PM
gds wrote:
:: On Jun 27, 8:38 am, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
::: gds wrote:
:::
:::::
::::: Roger, I know from other threads that you simply don't like me.
::::: That's OK with me but really on this you are just being juvenile.
:::
::: I'm being juvenile when I ask you about trimming your posts? What
::: about when you did the same thing to me? You seem to be a "I do no
::: wrong" type of person.
::
:: Ahh! tit for tat. OK you win. You are showing great maturity. Answer
:: one more time and you can even have the last word.

Not exactly tit for tat since you tried to ask as if when you do it there's
no problem...And thank you, I will take the last word!

Claire Petersky
June 29th 07, 03:50 AM
"Luigi de Guzman" > wrote in message

> About six hours pedaling, yeah. I won't be joining any club rides any
> time soon at this pace, though.

You could do one of my "leisurely" paced rides (10 mph - 12 mph) that I've
lead for my club.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Dane Buson
July 3rd 07, 11:23 PM
Luigi de Guzman > wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:08:32 -0400, Roger Zoul wrote:
>> gds wrote:
>> :: On Jun 26, 12:41 pm, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
>> :::
>> ::: Nope. However, you obviously forgot about the notion of snipping.
>> ::
>> :: Funny on my reader all the previous text got hidden so no need to
>> :: snip or to be be snippy.
>>
>> Then you need to get a functional newsreader.
>
> Easy, tiger.
>
> For what it's worth, I'm using pan.

Filthy heathen! Tin forever!

> I was shocked to find that pan auto-snipped quoted text; however, by
> hitting "Q" I can toggle whether or not the newsreader displays quoted text.

Alright, I'll admit it, I use Pan for all my binary newsgroup reading.
The newer version no longer chokes on groups with large numbers of
articles.

> I know, I know. I really should be using slrn, but I'm in X almost all
> the time these days. My editor of choice is still vim though.

Well, I suppose I can return the pitchforks and torches to the stand by
the door then.

--
Dane Buson -
A witty saying proves nothing, but saying something pointless gets

Dane Buson
July 3rd 07, 11:27 PM
Cathy Kearns > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> Roger Zoul writes:
>>> I do most of my riding alone...when I do ride with someone, we just
>>> setup possible meet points along a known route...that way, each can
>>> ride at his/her own pace.
>>
>> That's "riding alone" so what's the advantage of riding the same route
>> (or not) and meeting now and then?
>
> This morning my husband and I met up at the start with two biking buddies.
> My husband had a stem cell transplant (after a killer week of chemo) 26
> days ago, and is no where near as fast as normal, so we told the other two
> to go on ahead, we'd meet them at coffee. A ways out we met another biking
> buddy, that normally works Tuesdays, so he was on his way home from a much
> longer ride, decided he'd head home, catch up on email, meet us for coffee.
> So here we are at coffee, and a sixth biking buddy, with a splint on his
> middle finger (and yeah, how often do you get that excuse) shows up. Yep,
> we were all kind of riding alone, but meeting for coffee was worth it.

I've said before, that one of the thing I like about cycling is the
ability to see cyclist friends at random. A couple times a month I'll
bump into someone I know while I'm out cycling (more frequently if you
count Claire).

> (And yea! My husband and I got in 20, fairly hilly miles. He'll be back
> soon!)

It's good to hear he's recovering well. It can be discouraging to get
back on the bike after a forced hiatus.

--
Dane Buson -
The nice thing about Windows is - It does not just crash, it displays a

Kristian M Zoerhoff
July 3rd 07, 11:31 PM
On 2007-07-03, Dane Buson > wrote:

> Well, I suppose I can return the pitchforks and torches to the stand by
> the door then.

You might want to turn them on me; I'm using slrn, but on WinXP with
(shudder) "edit" [1] as my $EDITOR.

[1] Yes, the old MS-DOS edit. The blue one.

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_

Dane Buson
July 3rd 07, 11:49 PM
Kristian M Zoerhoff > wrote:
> On 2007-07-03, Dane Buson > wrote:
>>
>> Well, I suppose I can return the pitchforks and torches to the stand by
>> the door then.
>
> You might want to turn them on me; I'm using slrn, but on WinXP with
> (shudder) "edit" [1] as my $EDITOR.

Wow. That's just amazingly wrong. I think I might have to have a lie
down now.

> [1] Yes, the old MS-DOS edit. The blue one.

Yes. Definitely. I think I'll see if I can find some lavender water
and sprinkle it on a damp cloth for my eyes.

--
Dane Buson -
"This universe never did make sense, I suspect it was built on

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home