PDA

View Full Version : Pedestrians should have rego and licenses

DaveB
June 26th 07, 01:59 AM
Was riding down Beach Rd on Sunday and came up to the train crossing at
Brighton. A couple with one child in the pram and another on bike
crossed one intersection against a red light and only avoided a car
because he stopped and gave way. Then they had to wait to cross Beach
Rd. When the lights for Beach Rd traffic went green I headed off across
the intersection only to have 4yo son start cycling across the red and
parent follow. I yelled at them to stop, as they realised that they had
been looking at the lights the wrong way (how this is possible is beyond
me). Two seconds later a 2 bike wide bunch ride rolled through in the
left lane (where mum, dad and pusher would have been) , and a car rolled
through on the right lane where the 4yo would have been. I reckon I wa
sshaking my head for the next 20 mins in amazement. Then I started
wondering if they had all been hit, wold the Herald Sun have been
calling for pedestrians to get rego and licenses??

DaveB

Andrew Priest
June 26th 07, 03:05 AM
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:59:42 +1000, DaveB
> wrote:

>Then I started
>wondering if they had all been hit, wold the Herald Sun have been
>calling for pedestrians to get rego and licenses??

G'day Dave

Not distracting from the stupidity of the parents, but the same
argument could apply to some cyclists ... cyclists, peds, car drivers,
we all are stupid sometimes on the road.

I had a women wondering across the bike lane this morning doing around
25 km/h. Just as I was coming up to pass her. I had rung my bell as
well. Saw her later on again and she went through a bike intersection
without evening looking.

Regards
Andrew

gplama[_151_]
June 26th 07, 03:34 AM
I've also had a recent run-in with a family crossing Beach Rd. Two
weeks ago, flying back into town with a tail wind sitting on 50km/h or
so. No cars in sight either way. Dad, mum, and two kids see me, but
cross in my path anyways. I've yelled from a distance, the dad looks
at me, stops, yells at me to slow down, then proceeds to cross. wtf. By
this time I'm on the skids with the kids sh**ing themselves.

I've done my time yelling at owners of random moving objects (kids,
dogs, etc) - I now give them 'the look' and say nothing... 90% of the
time it works a treat. The recipient of 'the look' is expecting a
mouthful, to which they can respond to. But if nothing is said, and
they are obviously in the wrong, the silence is deafening.

(all bets are off if they're bogan and have started to chime in first,
or if you want to clear your throat.. as a victim, you have a right of
response) :)

--
gplama

DaveB
June 26th 07, 05:01 AM
Andrew Priest wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:59:42 +1000, DaveB
> > wrote:
>
>> Then I started
>> wondering if they had all been hit, wold the Herald Sun have been
>> calling for pedestrians to get rego and licenses??
>
> G'day Dave
>
> Not distracting from the stupidity of the parents, but the same
> argument could apply to some cyclists

WHOOSH! "the wind whistles as the point of the post flies by"

DaveB

Simon[_2_]
June 26th 07, 05:11 AM
Andrew Priest wrote:
"but the same argument could apply to some cyclists ... cyclists,
peds, car drivers, we all are stupid sometimes on the road... I had
rung my bell as well..."

Ding, ding! Yes, but we wear helmets so it's OK.

cfsmtb[_284_]
June 26th 07, 05:38 AM
Simon Wrote:
> Andrew Priest wrote:
> "but the same argument could apply to some cyclists ... cyclists,
> peds, car drivers, we all are stupid sometimes on the road... I had
> rung my bell as well..."
>
> Ding, ding! Yes, but we wear helmets so it's OK.

*Sticks fingers in ears*

LALALALALALALALA They can't hear you.

--
cfsmtb

EuanB[_82_]
June 26th 07, 06:07 AM
DaveB Wrote:
> Then I started
> wondering if they had all been hit, wold the Herald Sun have been
> calling for pedestrians to get rego and licenses??

Beach Road? No, you'd have been cast as the villain of the piece. The
police would have been contacted and the usual round of 'we do our best
but cyclists are a law unto themselves' epithets would ensue.

Cue talkbalk bashing cyclists, raking up the tragic James Gould death
etc etc.

Cycnical? Yeah probably.

--
EuanB

TimC
June 26th 07, 08:30 AM
On 2007-06-26, EuanB (aka Bruce)

> DaveB Wrote:
>> Then I started
>> wondering if they had all been hit, wold the Herald Sun have been
>> calling for pedestrians to get rego and licenses??
>
> Beach Road? No, you'd have been cast as the villain of the piece. The
> police would have been contacted and the usual round of 'we do our best
> but cyclists are a law unto themselves' epithets would ensue.
>
> Cue talkbalk bashing cyclists, raking up the tragic James Gould death
> etc etc.

But little Johnny Laws is no longer!

--
TimC
"Eddies in the space time continuum"

Andrew Priest
June 26th 07, 01:43 PM
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:01:31 +1000, DaveB
> wrote:

>Andrew Priest wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:59:42 +1000, DaveB
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Then I started
>>> wondering if they had all been hit, wold the Herald Sun have been
>>> calling for pedestrians to get rego and licenses??
>>
>> G'day Dave
>>
>> Not distracting from the stupidity of the parents, but the same
>> argument could apply to some cyclists
>
>WHOOSH! "the wind whistles as the point of the post flies by"

Well if I missed the point so be it. I rather be stupid and willing
to learn than rude ... ignorance is free, education costs. I now which
I would rather have ...

Cheers
Andrew

flyingdutch[_59_]
June 26th 07, 02:22 PM
DaveB Wrote:
> Was riding down Beach Rd on Sunday...
>
> DaveB

first you, then Lama. WTF?!?!?!

OK, fessin up time. I have been ding it too recently :rolleyes:

Maybe we should 'Get the Band back together', only an snas-altitude
version.
Oh wait! there's always 'Col de Mentone...' :o

--
flyingdutch

hemyd
June 26th 07, 10:16 PM
"gplama" > wrote in message

> I've also had a recent run-in with a family crossing Beach Rd. Two
> weeks ago, flying back into town with a tail wind sitting on 50km/h or
> so. No cars in sight either way. Dad, mum, and two kids see me, but
> cross in my path anyways. I've yelled from a distance, the dad looks
> at me, stops, yells at me to slow down, then proceeds to cross. wtf. By
> this time I'm on the skids with the kids sh**ing themselves.
>
> I've done my time yelling at owners of random moving objects (kids,
> dogs, etc) - I now give them 'the look' and say nothing... 90% of the
> time it works a treat. The recipient of 'the look' is expecting a
> mouthful, to which they can respond to. But if nothing is said, and
> they are obviously in the wrong, the silence is deafening.
>
> (all bets are off if they're bogan and have started to chime in first,
> or if you want to clear your throat.. as a victim, you have a right of
> response) :)

And there's nothing like pedestrians who've suddenly seen their tram
approaching in St Kilda Road, and make a mad dash for it - through red
lights, through moving cars, and of course through bicycles.....

Henry M.

TimC
June 26th 07, 11:18 PM
On 2007-06-26, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)

> DaveB Wrote:
>> Was riding down Beach Rd on Sunday...
>>
>> DaveB
>
> first you, then Lama. WTF?!?!?!
>
> OK, fessin up time. I have been ding it too recently :rolleyes:
>
> Maybe we should 'Get the Band back together', only an snas-altitude
> version.

Did no one notice that Sunday before last was the 3rd birthday of
BR(x)?

--
TimC
This message consists entirely of true bits and false bits!

DaveB
June 27th 07, 01:27 AM
flyingdutch wrote:
> DaveB Wrote:
>> Was riding down Beach Rd on Sunday...
>>
>> DaveB
>
> first you, then Lama. WTF?!?!?!
>
> OK, fessin up time. I have been ding it too recently :rolleyes:
>
> Maybe we should 'Get the Band back together', only an snas-altitude
> version.
> Oh wait! there's always 'Col de Mentone...' :o

Yeah I've been going down there for my long ride. Been resting the knees
over winter so avoiding hills (well as much as I can given where I
live). Also a bit nervous heading out on the BR route solo in the dark
on those early winter mornings.

DaveB

DaveB
June 27th 07, 01:28 AM
TimC wrote:

> Did no one notice that Sunday before last was the 3rd birthday of
> BR(x)?

Wow that paint that someone used on the road has lasted well.

DaveB

Brendo
June 27th 07, 02:54 AM

> Well if I missed the point so be it. I rather be stupid and willing
> to learn than rude ... ignorance is free, education costs. I now which
> I would rather have ...
>
> Cheers
> Andrew

Pedantic, but shouldn't it be KNOW which I would rather have???

Brendo

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home