PDA

View Full Version : Lower back pain

Hell and High Water
June 28th 07, 01:58 PM
Having an issue that I thought someone might be able to help on...

I have an older/used bike that's in very nice shape. The LBS did a bit
of a fitting when I purchased and the bike feels pretty comfortable.
The bike came with a metallic quill stem, which the LBS guy thought was
a bit short for me. I bought an H2O stem which was a bit longer, and
has a bit of an upward angle.

My problem is low back pain.

While I'm riding I don't notice any pain, but either later in the day,
or even the next day, I feel pain right where my butt meets my lower
back. Sacroiliac joints? (sp?)

I have found that if I put my leg up on something that's about waist
high, like the bathroom sink for example, and really stretch out the
backs of my upper thighs, it really alleviates the pain.

Almost feels like my hamstrings are super tight and pulling down on my
hips?

??

Not sure if that's even possible.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this. Is this a
fitting problem?

Posture?

Riding style?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

-Bianchi Bob

Roger Zoul
June 28th 07, 02:42 PM
Hell and High Water wrote:
::
:: My problem is low back pain.
::
:: While I'm riding I don't notice any pain, but either later in the
:: day, or even the next day, I feel pain right where my butt meets my
:: lower back. Sacroiliac joints? (sp?)
::

So you only notice this pain after riding? Have you been to a doctor yet to
get an MRI?

:: I have found that if I put my leg up on something that's about waist
:: high, like the bathroom sink for example, and really stretch out the
:: backs of my upper thighs, it really alleviates the pain.
::
::
:: Almost feels like my hamstrings are super tight and pulling down on
:: my hips?
::
:: ??
::

Tried stretching before / after your rides? Some people think stretching is
very important.

:: Not sure if that's even possible.
::
::
:: Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this. Is this a
:: fitting problem?
::
:: Posture?
::
:: Riding style?
::

Perhaps it's not bike related at all, but back related....just a thought,
though.
Good luck.

SlowRider
June 28th 07, 02:48 PM
On Jun 28, 6:58 am, Hell and High Water >
wrote:
> Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this. Is this a
> fitting problem?

That'd be my first guess. I've had two professional fittings and
several semi-casual LBS "fittings". Only the professional fittings
really worked for me. In my experience, a stem that's too long can
make your back and your neck hurt.

> Posture?

Possibly. After reading some (bad) advice on the internet, I got into
the habit of hunching over when I rode. I actually did this for
years, thinking it was the right way to ride. Not only did it make my
butt sore, but it gave me occasional back pain as well. At one of my
professional fittings it was explained to me that good posture is as
important on a bike as when doing squats with free-weights.

Good luck!

--JR

RBrickston
June 28th 07, 05:02 PM
In article >,
says...
> Having an issue that I thought someone might be able to help on...
>

> I have an older/used bike that's in very nice shape. The LBS did a bit
> of a fitting when I purchased and the bike feels pretty comfortable.
> The bike came with a metallic quill stem, which the LBS guy thought was
> a bit short for me. I bought an H2O stem which was a bit longer, and
> has a bit of an upward angle.
>
> My problem is low back pain.
>
> While I'm riding I don't notice any pain, but either later in the day,
> or even the next day, I feel pain right where my butt meets my lower
> back. Sacroiliac joints? (sp?)
>
> I have found that if I put my leg up on something that's about waist
> high, like the bathroom sink for example, and really stretch out the
> backs of my upper thighs, it really alleviates the pain.
>

> Almost feels like my hamstrings are super tight and pulling down on my
> hips?
>
> ??
>
> Not sure if that's even possible.
>

> Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this. Is this a
> fitting problem?
>
> Posture?
>
> Riding style?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
>

> -Bianchi Bob

I had this exact pain for years. On long tours I could hardly walk, but
riding was pain free. 1. Strengthen your back by building the abdominals
via sit up type of exercises and do leg lifts while prone on your back. 2.
Move the seat back.

Mike Jacoubowsky
June 28th 07, 06:16 PM
> I have an older/used bike that's in very nice shape. The LBS did a bit
> of a fitting when I purchased and the bike feels pretty comfortable.
> The bike came with a metallic quill stem, which the LBS guy thought was
> a bit short for me. I bought an H2O stem which was a bit longer, and
> has a bit of an upward angle.
>
> My problem is low back pain.

A couple things to look into. First, is your saddle absolutely level? If
it's even slightly nose-down, it might be shoving you forward, towards the
bars. That causes you to have to maintain position by pushing back from the
bars, and you start feeling it in your neck, shoulders and often lower back.

Next, some people need a bar position that simply isn't normal. Have someone
take a look at you while you're riding, and maybe even take a picture of
you... and then check out your back. If there's a lot of curve to it, you
might need to go higher... sometimes quite a bit higher... for the stem.

Finally, assuming you have some hills to climb, try and stand up for a bit.
Maybe once every five minutes, spend a minute standing. If you only have
flat areas to ride, move to someplace more interesting. Just kidding.
Mostly. But it can be difficult if it's flat, because you sometimes go into
drone mode, forcing the pedals instead of trying to relax.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Hell and High Water" > wrote in message
. ..
> Having an issue that I thought someone might be able to help on...
>

> I have an older/used bike that's in very nice shape. The LBS did a bit
> of a fitting when I purchased and the bike feels pretty comfortable.
> The bike came with a metallic quill stem, which the LBS guy thought was
> a bit short for me. I bought an H2O stem which was a bit longer, and
> has a bit of an upward angle.
>
> My problem is low back pain.
>
> While I'm riding I don't notice any pain, but either later in the day,
> or even the next day, I feel pain right where my butt meets my lower
> back. Sacroiliac joints? (sp?)
>
> I have found that if I put my leg up on something that's about waist
> high, like the bathroom sink for example, and really stretch out the
> backs of my upper thighs, it really alleviates the pain.
>

> Almost feels like my hamstrings are super tight and pulling down on my
> hips?
>
> ??
>
> Not sure if that's even possible.
>

> Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this. Is this a
> fitting problem?
>
> Posture?
>
> Riding style?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.