PDA

View Full Version : Sore and numb Trap & Tight hamstrings

June 28th 07, 11:27 PM
Hi,

I'm 20 years old, 145 Lbs, 6 foot tall.

I'll try to make this short and sweet:

I started doing a lot of running, than swimming than cycling just a
few months ago.

Now, I always had tight hamstrings, but it seems to get worst and
worst the more I do sports. I stretch them often, but maybe not at the
right time or the right technique. Is it a bad thing to stretch them
when my muscles are cold? There so tight my leg on the pedal when I
drive my car gets numb after 30-40 minutes.

Now, this tight hamstrings problem doesn't seem to restrict my
movements when I do some bike of run, but it's bad for other things.
If you want more details, see my post at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.running/browse_thread/thread/495d7b768ec8eaf7/d20f14b129dbc0aa?lnk=st&q=sebzzz&rnum=6#d20f14b129dbc0aa

I use my bike (regular mountain bike, with tires that are slick in the
middle to be easier) to go to work sometimes (about 30k from my home).
After a while, I start feeling really numb in my right trap, and when
I stop and move my arms a bit, it's real pain for a couple of minutes
(like needles in my trap). I can't even turn my head on the right when
I'm on the bike after a while, it hurts too much. Now, every time I do
some bike, this pain arrives faster and faster. I suspect my posture
of my grip on the bike, but I wonder what to do. Also good to know, I
get some "needles in the trap" feeling even when I'm not doing
anything now, but very mild not real pain.

An other problem, yesterday at the end of my ride, I started feeling
numb in my left hand, and it stayed numb for about 24 hours. This is
probably due to the fact that I didn't have my gloves for the ride.
(or could it be related to the trap pain?)

Some would probably say over training or something, but I don't feel
more tired than usual, and it's also good to say that I always had
tight hamstrings (as a kid I already had that).

So, can anybody help me with those problems?
Thanks!

Mark[_2_]
June 28th 07, 11:37 PM
> So, can anybody help me with those problems?
> Thanks!

As the stretches aren't working, see a sports physio for the tight
hamstrings.

As to the rest, check bike fit, wear padded gloves, have only a light grip
of the bars.

Daniel Barlow
June 29th 07, 12:32 AM
wrote:
> Now, I always had tight hamstrings, but it seems to get worst and
> worst the more I do sports. I stretch them often, but maybe not at the
> right time or the right technique. Is it a bad thing to stretch them
> when my muscles are cold?

All the advice I've had is "yes". Warm up first, _then_ stretch.

-dan

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home