PDA

View Full Version : foforackard's awesome new steel seat!!

foforackard
July 17th 07, 09:43 PM
hey everyone. I broke my kh saddle's stiffener plate recently. I was
really tired of breaking my seats, so my parents finally let me order a
cf seat base yesterday. But, today I got a call from UDC saying that
they just realized that they were out of the cf(gemcrest) bases.:mad: .
So I decided to make the best of my decision and try something. My dad
has a 24" Schwinn uni with a steel seat base. I had heard of people
converting these bases to there newer unis, which was enough to inspire
me to venture into our our 120 degree attic, and find said unicycle. I
finally found the uni, and was ready to try converting. First, I took
the seat off the Schwinn and took apart the seat and got the base. I
then took apart my kh seat and got the pieces that I needed (foam,
bumper, handle, fusion cover). THen, i tried to fit the steel base into
the foam the best I could, and it fit surprisingly well. the foam was a
half inch too short for the base, so I stretched the foam out as much
as possible and duct taped it to keep it in place for when I was going
to put the cover on. I then put the cover on, and I thought it looked
really good. I rode it foe a little bit and it feels a lot more solid
with tricks like sideways ww. All i need to do now is wait for my dad
to get home so I can drill the base and put the handle and bumper on(i
will post pics of that later.)

heres some pics of the stuff I was talking about.

broken stiffener plate:http://tinyurl.com/23x27c

kh stuff that I used:http://tinyurl.com/3ceker

Schwinn base 1:http://tinyurl.com/25ljsf

Schwinn base with foam:http://tinyurl.com/3xvaxe

full seat(minus the bumper and handle):http://tinyurl.com/2qssw6

I will post some pics of the seat once it's drilled and has the handle
and bumper on.

-forrest

--
foforackard

*unicycle for Christ*
http://www.usenet.com

foforackard
July 19th 07, 04:01 AM
the seat turned out to be not so awesome. I broke it tonight. Yep, two
stress fractures on both sides of the bases.

--
foforackard

*unicycle for Christ*
http://www.usenet.com

skilewis74
July 19th 07, 04:34 AM
Have you tried the 'Semcycle base'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=260)?

I hear only a couple of people have ever broken a cf seat. Also you
could add a 'GB4 stiffener plate'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=607) (or just a
aluminum/steel plate from a machine shop) and prob never break
it:rolleyes:

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.
Parafrasing a pro skater when asked for advise to kids who wanted to
get much better and maybee turn pro one day.
http://www.usenet.com

mafiamike
July 19th 07, 06:14 AM
I just don't have a stiffener plate anymore, haha.

--
mafiamike
http://www.usenet.com

Brian O.
July 19th 07, 07:51 AM
skilewis74 wrote:
> Have you tried the 'Semcycle base'
> (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=260)?

Yes, its what he just used and the GB4 stiffener is for Miyata style
seats not KH.

mafiamike wrote:
> I just don't have a stiffener plate anymore, haha.

Kiss your seatpost goodbye, the bracket on top will be bent to heck if
the plastic base doesn't first snap. Riding a seat without the
stiffener plate just isn't worth it, its too flexy.

--
Brian O.

mscalisi wrote:
> We only need one 36" rim, one that doesn't suck. A properly sized KH rim
> (like the 29er only larger) would be awesome.

'ProjectUNI' (http://www.otherworldsociety.org/projectuni) - The
Unicyclist PC Game - In Early Development.
http://www.usenet.com

sp4rky-m4rky
July 19th 07, 11:22 AM
My KH stiffner plate broke exactly the same as that, I welded another
plate over the top but that only lasted a few weeks then broke again. I
wanted to ride it and not spend ages fixing it so I quickly welded it
up again. next time it breaks I am going to fabricate some metal plate
so it fits along the stiffner plate and down the side of the saddle a
little to give it alot more strength, hopfuly that will hold up longer.

--
sp4rky-m4rky

you may be lucky but you make your own luck

*)--360--O* The Unispin Elite

)---'O, Crankflip
my 'latest video' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=MaO3NgJ4bW8)
learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my 'video tutorial'
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=gFCHDO1umlM)
http://www.usenet.com

unicycledood
July 19th 07, 12:01 PM
bah

--
unicycledood
http://www.usenet.com

captainkrunk61
July 19th 07, 04:48 PM
mafiamike wrote:
> I just don't have a stiffener plate anymore, haha.

Yeah, mine's cracked, and I'm not fixing it.

--
captainkrunk61

'unicoreok.com' (http://unicoreok.com)
http://www.usenet.com