PDA

View Full Version : Pinstriping

littleman
July 17th 07, 10:05 PM
Has anyone ever pinstriped their unicycle or know someone that has. I'm
in the middle of painting mine right now but a unicycle's frame has
such an awkward shape to pinstripe. Anybody have any suggestions?

--
littleman
http://www.usenet.com

onelesscar
July 17th 07, 10:08 PM
GaaAAAaahHHH!!!! Why are there so many unicyclists in southern
california and none in northern california??? I need company!!

And sorry, I can't help with the pinstriping issue.

--
onelesscar

Catching the coker fever.
http://www.usenet.com

Rubix
July 17th 07, 10:08 PM
I would tape off the stripe, and paint over the stripe and tape.
Therefore, when you peel off the tape, you have your stripe on the uni.

--
Rubix

Unicycle
Not just for clowns anymore!
http://www.usenet.com

CKCrowe
July 17th 07, 10:08 PM

--
CKCrowe

1-5 Hours a day....DX user....reviewing skills....

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=unicrankflipMy Youtube Account
http://www.usenet.com

onelesscar
July 17th 07, 10:11 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinstripe

It's decoration using really thin lines either taped or painted on.

--
onelesscar

Catching the coker fever.
http://www.usenet.com

Uniman_3
July 17th 07, 10:48 PM
my little brothers has 2 mini pinstripe designs on it but its only one
color, just take it to someone who pinstripes and pay them and get it
done right..

--
Uniman_3

Words are made to strike the minds of the unsuspecting.
http://www.usenet.com

matti_marron
July 17th 07, 11:00 PM
Depends on what you want. if its just a basic line, use 2 strips of
masking tape then paint overhte top, if you want a complex design use
hat really thin tape pinstripers use, and the do your pattern and use a
model brush to paint the line then peel the tape off either side
leaving your crisp lines.. Or you could use a spray apint stencil, or
make somthings similar of your own, tape it securly to your frame then
spray or brush paint onto it, (practise on somehting else first)

--
matti_marron
http://www.usenet.com

johnfoss
July 18th 07, 01:19 AM
onelesscar wrote:
> GaaAAAaahHHH!!!! Why are there so many unicyclists in southern
> california and none in northern california???

There are plenty up here as well. I once rode in the Modesto Fourth of
July parade with the second-most unicyclists I've ever been in a parade
with, around 50. That was a few years ago, but many of those people
probably still ride. If you don't know Bruce Clifton send me an email.
He would be your local contact person, though his group predates the
world of Trials and Street riding.

As for pinstriping, good luck! A unicycle frame should definitely be a
challenge, followed by the challenge of keeping the paint on there when
the unicycle gets used. A cheap alternative would be to use tape
(instead of paint), but that's probably not what you're after. I did
that on my unicycle's fender once. That would be the Excessory Cycle,
on 'this page' (http://www.unicycling.com/garage/special.htm). Scroll
down to see a picture that doesn't really show the tape. If I ever get
the thing put back together, I'll take better pictures of it...

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view
http://www.usenet.com

Uniman_3
July 18th 07, 01:20 AM
my lil bros uni looks trashed with the paint job now, its not as pretty
any more..

--
Uniman_3

Words are made to strike the minds of the unsuspecting.
http://www.usenet.com

The Boz
July 18th 07, 02:57 AM
i dont think pinstripe on a unicycle will last very long. you will
probly have to give a lot of clearcoats over the top or it will scratch
off

--
The Boz
http://www.usenet.com

littleman
July 18th 07, 05:16 AM
Well, the only way the paint could scratch off is when your shoe kicks
it or when your taking it apart. Otherwise, you'll notice it's
impossible for the frame to hit the ground with the seat and tire on.

--
littleman
http://www.usenet.com

gerblefranklin
July 18th 07, 05:26 AM
Well, if you take the uni on anything but flat ground, the frame will
hit stuff, I promise. And it's not just collisions that take paint off.
Over time your knees rubbing the frame will wear the paint completely
off.

I think it's a vain effort to put effort into painting a unicycle. Good
luck, but really, watch the unicycles of the best (non-sponsored)
riders. None of them will have pretty frames,s imply because they use
the things, and that wears the paint.

OneLessCar, I'm in San Francisco, and there are usually 2-3 uni rides
organized around here per week. If you're looking for hardcore muni and
trials, there's not as many, but I certainly still ride, and there are
few others in the east and north bay.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex
http://www.usenet.com

onelesscar
July 18th 07, 05:48 AM
Haha...thanks for the replies...sorry for totally taking the thread off
topic...

I know there are plenty of riders in the bay area, I was actually out
there last week...it's just frustrating to live in the middle of the
central valley....no hills for an hour either way. It's a little tough
for me to get to the bay area, too, as reliable transportation is tough
for me to get :( .

--
onelesscar

Catching the coker fever.