PDA

View Full Version : does it get easier?

yodaflatbed
July 20th 07, 10:23 PM
been riding about 3 months total but didn't ride again until 2 weeks ago
and I like it seems like im not progessing too fast, turns mounting
help would be cool anyone here from utah slc area?
:confused:

--
yodaflatbed
http://www.usenet.com

thejdw
July 20th 07, 10:41 PM
the more you ride, the easyer it gets. I don't ride too often, hence I'm
not progressing fast :rolleyes:

edit: welcome to the fourms

--
thejdw

kington99 wrote:
> A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
> just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage :)

>>don't follow Jesus, follow me!<<
http://www.usenet.com

oneisenough
July 21st 07, 01:57 AM
it took me about 5 months... not straight i took lots of like 1-2 week
breaks. the important thing is to remember not to get mad and when you
do... put the uni away and come back later.

--
oneisenough
http://www.usenet.com

skilewis74
July 21st 07, 05:14 AM
It took me 2 months, averaging 5 hrs a week. I'm always challenging my
self, so it hasn't gotten easier:p I still can't freemount :(, I have
some paralysis in my legs though, so everyting is taking me longer and
some stuff I just can't do.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.
Parafrasing a pro skater when asked for advise to kids who wanted to
get much better and maybee turn pro one day.
http://www.usenet.com

anton005
July 21st 07, 05:49 AM
I've been riding about 5 months. For me I always pushed pretty hard to
learn new things, then when I get frustrated I take a break and do the
things I could do that were easier (not many in the beginning). I
pushed pretty hard from about 2 months to 4 months, I'd say that was
the hardest time for me and things didn't seem to progress much, I had
many really frustrated days. Alot of times I forced myself to go out
and ride because it wasn't really fun. Just keep your head down
(figuratively) and push through it, you will break on through to the
other side. Take breaks, but don't give up :)

--
anton005
http://www.usenet.com

skilewis74
July 21st 07, 06:03 AM
To stay motivated, I focused on the possitive. I kept on trying things
that made it a tinny bit harder. For me that was hold onto the seat,
close one eye, ride too much or little air for the terrain, hold onto
the seat w/ one or both hands, and try to ride real fast or slow along
my practice rail.

Every day I could do _something__better than the day before.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.
Parafrasing a pro skater when asked for advise to kids who wanted to
get much better and maybee turn pro one day.
http://www.usenet.com

ivan
July 21st 07, 07:12 AM
It only gets easier when you want it to. Myself, I like to keep it
challenging. After barely learning how to ride I started practicing
rolling hops and hop twists. Then backwards riding and so on. Now I do
360 unispins and body varials. I could leave it at that and keep it
easy, but I won't. I'm gonna learn crankflips, 540 unispins and
smallspins(plan for now). Then, when I can do those, I'll start on
something else.

The only thing that gets easier is dealing with pain. You just learn to
ignore it. In the beginning every pedal bite is a lot of ouchy-ouch.
After a while you just say "whatever" and try again. And again. And
again and again and again. And then some more.

Unicyclists are insane.

--
ivan

Take me down to the paradise city where grass is green and the girls are
pretty! entropy isn't what it used to be.
http://www.usenet.com

yodaflatbed
July 21st 07, 10:15 PM
I do know the feeling of being discouraged but i am slowly getting
better I actually mounted yesterday once with no help yeehaw! I have
an old schwinn 24" and have heard that 20" is better to learn on. I'll
try it and just learn to ride both the best i can maybe one day I'll be
a "pro"?

--
yodaflatbed
http://www.usenet.com

feel the light
July 22nd 07, 01:08 AM
If you get a 20, try learning to idle and ride backwards while watching
movies inside.
Buy a 36. It is almost like a different sport, riding the 36 across
town vs riding a 20 across the yard. Sightseeing and changing uni's
adds variety. I don't think it is lack of progress that stops people
riding so much as lack of fun. Try changing things up. As long as you
ride you will improve, so focus on having a good time.:)

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com

oldgeezers940
July 22nd 07, 03:55 AM
deff the more you ride the better you'll get.

just unicycling around the nieghborhood and walking trails is now like
second nature to me. i actually did 13 miles without dismount a few
days ago :D

but the more you use certain skills the easier they will become.

and if you have someone else to ride with im sure that would give you
alot more motivation.

--
oldgeezers940
http://www.usenet.com

madmattunipro
July 22nd 07, 06:45 AM
The one thing I tell my riding buddies most when they ask me how to get
better at riding: hours.

You gotta put time in. And don't worry, different riders progress at
different paces.

--
madmattunipro

><>Unicycle For Christ<><

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

http://www.norco.com
http://www.usenet.com

yodaflatbed
August 4th 07, 10:21 PM
ive discovered my seatpost was way too short ordered a new one and boy
what a diference I can freemount, turn, and I can now make it around
the block (don't laugh) better get back to it maybe i'll learn
something new.

--
yodaflatbed
http://www.usenet.com

thejdw
August 4th 07, 10:54 PM
yodaflatbed wrote:
> ive discovered my seatpost was way too short ordered a new one and boy
> what a diference I can freemount, turn, and I can now make it around
> the block (don't laugh) better get back to it maybe i'll learn
> something new.

make sure you keep the old

--
thejdw

kington99 wrote:
> A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
> just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage :)
http://www.usenet.com

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home