PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley Juggling and Unicycle Festival

tholub
July 21st 07, 05:52 AM
The Berkeley Juggling Cooperative is doing it again! We are planning our
third Berkeley Juggling and Unicycling Festival, scheduled for Friday
October 5th to Sunday October 7th, 2007. Last year we had roughly 500
jugglers, unicyclists, performers and artists attend the festival and
we hope to have as great a festival this year as last year.

Unlike most juggling festivals, ours has a whole lot of pure unicycle
content, including MUni rides, a big-wheel party ride down to the
Berkeley Marina, unicycle basketball and lots of other unicycle games
and workshops. This year we're also going to try to find a place to do
fire juggling and flaming puck hockey after the public show on Saturday
night.

The show was great last year, and included performances by Kaori
Matsuzawa, Ryan Woessner, Irene Genelin, and Jeff Groves; we expect
we'll have another outstanding lineup this year.

The festival will be held at the same venue as last year (King Middle
School, 1781 Rose Avenue, Berkeley, CA). The schedule will be:

Friday 10/5: Open gym 5pm to 10pm
Saturday 10/5: Open gym 9am to 10pm, big wheel ride, MUni ride, fire
juggling
Sunday 10/5: Open gym 9am to 5pm, MUni ride, unicycle games

The festival is open to the public, and *free* except for the Saturday
night show. We hope to see you there!

For more details visit our webpage which will have all the up to date
information: http://www.berkeleyjuggling.org/festival

Note that the festival is the weekend before California MUni Weekend,
which will be in Santa Cruz, just over an hour's drive away. Since we
expect there will be a lot of unicyclists in town for these events,
we're also planning to have a number of informal rides and activities
during the week. Let me know if you're coming in from out of town and
need a place to crash.

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com

eric53
July 23rd 07, 10:39 PM
Hi Tholub

I'm very interested in the muni rides as your event is just a week
before the California Muni Weekend. Is it possible to ask in advance
about a "rough schedule" of your planned informal muni-rides so I can
plan staying at relatives' homes nearby? I'll be coming from Los
Angeles & would like to make the most of these two wonderful festivals
!

Thanks a lot !
Eric

--
eric53
http://www.usenet.com

tholub
July 23rd 07, 11:22 PM
The three biggest uni events planned for the festival weekend are the
big wheel party ride, My First MUni ride (an easy MUni ride for
beginners), and a hard-core MUni ride. We haven't started scheduling
yet, but probably what I'll aim for is to have the big wheel ride
Saturday morning, the My First MUni ride Saturday afternoon, and the
hard-core MUni ride Sunday morning.

Last year there was also an unofficial big wheel MUni ride on the
following Monday for anyone still in town, and someone might organize
something like that again. There will be unicycle basketball on the
following Tuesday, and there's talk of disc golf on the following
Thursday (the day before CA MUni Weekend).

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com

eric53
July 24th 07, 06:31 PM
That's great....a beginner's muni & a hard-core next morning. I'm sure
other newbies like me would be able to fit in as well as strive for
more improvements. You guys are really doing a whole lot to make this
wonderful sport more enjoyable !!...I just hope others would come up w/
more local events so we have a year-round choice & not be forced to
rely on the bigger but too far national events. Thanks Tholub!!

--
eric53
http://www.usenet.com

torkerdx
July 24th 07, 11:10 PM
last year their was a muni ride right before the show. (pretty sure)
is that the hard or easy ride level?
i will probably make at least the harder ride. maybe all 3 days.

--
torkerdx

johnfoss wrote:
> Yes, being old makes you stupid.
http://www.usenet.com

tholub
July 24th 07, 11:16 PM
torkerdx wrote:
> last year their was a muni ride right before the show. (pretty sure)
> is that the hard or easy ride level?
> i will probably make at least the harder ride. maybe all 3 days.

We did the harder ride on Saturday last year, due to some other
scheduling issues. This year, the easy ride will probably be on
Saturday, the hard ride on Sunday.

As with most MUni rides, the easy ride also has some places for
stronger riders to get off the main trail and play around for a bit, so
if you can only make Saturday you can still have some fun.

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com

tholub
September 28th 07, 02:59 AM
We now have details up on the 'Schedule and Workshops'
(http://berkeleyjuggling.org/festival/workshops.php) page. I would
particularly recommend:

Friday
7pm - Unicycle basketball demo game (in gym) (Berkeley unicyclists)

Saturday
10am - Big-wheel rolling party to the Berkeley Marina
7:30pm - Variety Show, King School auditorium
[There is rumored to be another, completely unofficial activity after
the show, involving hockey sticks and kerosene.]

Sunday
10am Mountain unicycle (MUni) ride, Joaquin Miller Park
(carpool/shuttle)

Hope to see a bunch of you there!

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com

torkerdx
September 28th 07, 06:37 AM
tholub wrote:
> We now have details up on the 'Schedule and Workshops'
> (http://berkeleyjuggling.org/festival/workshops.php) page. I would
> particularly recommend:
>
> Friday
> 7pm - Unicycle basketball demo game (in gym) (Berkeley unicyclists)
>
> Saturday
> 10am - Big-wheel rolling party to the Berkeley Marina
> 7:30pm - Variety Show, King School auditorium
> [THERE IS RUMORED TO BE ANOTHER, COMPLETELY UNOFFICIAL ACTIVITY AFTER
> THE SHOW, INVOLVING HOCKEY STICKS AND KEROSENE.]
> Sunday
> 10am Mountain unicycle (MUni) ride, Joaquin Miller Park
> (carpool/shuttle)
>

> Hope to see a bunch of you there!

i am their. i am sooo going to be their for that.
i would assume that it is at the same place as last time.

--
torkerdx

johnfoss wrote:
> Yes, being old makes you stupid.
http://www.usenet.com

tholub
September 28th 07, 06:47 AM
torkerdx wrote:
> i am their. i am sooo going to be their for that.
> i would assume that it is at the same place as last time.

Yes, the festival is hosted at King Middle School in north Berkeley,
same as last year. (1781 Rose Street).

See you next week!

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com

timbob1907
September 28th 07, 07:24 AM
Its not going to be the same muni ride as last time right? That was
really fun and I wouldnt mind doing it again but I was just wondering.

--
timbob1907

fluxusmaximus wrote:
> It looks like some deranged mad-man going berserk with a heavy metal
> object.

(\_/)
O 0
(><)This is bunny. Copy bunny into your signature, help him on his way
to world domination.
'CarbonFibreSeat!'
http://www.usenet.com

tholub
September 28th 07, 03:05 PM
timbob1907 wrote:
> Its not going to be the same muni ride as last time right? That was
> really fun and I wouldnt mind doing it again but I was just wondering.

Both MUni rides will be in the same locations as last year, and will be
on some but not all of the same trails. The Joaquin Miller MUni ride
will include a trail we discovered this year (Castle Park Trail) which
has two super-gnarly log bar sections, along with last year's Chaparral
Trail.

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com

corbin
September 28th 07, 11:19 PM
Sweet. I can't wait!!!

Tom -- I *may* drive my truck up and toss some "trials stuff" in the
back to play on. Hopefully that is okay.

--corbin

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
http://www.usenet.com

tholub
September 28th 07, 11:32 PM
corbin wrote:
> Sweet. I can't wait!!!
>
> Tom -- I *may* drive my truck up and toss some "trials stuff" in the
> back to play on. Hopefully that is okay.
>
> --corbin

That would be awesome. You could even do a workshop if you're so
inclined. The amphitheater area outside the gym is kind of a natural
place to add some trials toys.

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com

tholub
October 5th 07, 04:55 PM
Reminder: The festival starts today! We had a warm-up uni basketball
game last night with some of the folks who are in from out of town, and
it was totally intense; the games tonight in the gym should be fun.
The weather looks perfect for all the MUni and big wheel rides over the
weekend. Come and join us, it should be a blast!

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com

yunisyko
October 5th 07, 05:56 PM
is the big wheel ride on saturday or sunday?

--
yunisyko

SF Riders...Thats the Struggle
http://www.usenet.com

corbin
October 5th 07, 08:28 PM
yunisyko wrote:
> is the big wheel ride on saturday or sunday?

http://www.berkeleyjuggling.org/festival/workshops.php

Saturday.

--corbin

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
http://www.usenet.com

corbin
October 8th 07, 05:42 PM
The festival was a TON of fun. A big thanks out to Tom for doing a lot
of the uni organization.

corbin

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
http://www.usenet.com

mscalisi
October 8th 07, 05:47 PM
Thanks creeper Tom!!

--
mscalisi

><> Unicycle for (reducing the) Buddha <><
http://www.usenet.com

nathan
October 8th 07, 08:43 PM
Yes it was a blast! Thanks to Tom and all the other volunteers who made
it happen. Here are some photos and videos of the unicycling stuff we
participated in: http://nhoover.smugmug.com/gallery/3610523

---Nathan

--
nathan
http://www.usenet.com

phlegm
October 8th 07, 10:17 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed myself even though I had to skip Sunday.

The thing I hate about these types of events is that I always feel a
bit disoriented on the days after because there's no scheduled ride.
;)

--
phlegm
http://www.usenet.com