PDA

View Full Version : Help with Mount

littleman
July 21st 07, 09:24 PM
Hi, I'm having trouble learning to mount with pedals horizontal from
eachother. I've always mounted with pedals vertical from eachother,
which makes it hard to jump. So I've been trying to learn the mount
with pedals horizontal, but every time I jump up to put my right foot
on the pedal my left foot pushes the pedal vertical again, because of
my weight resting on it. Does any one have any advice?

--
littleman
http://www.usenet.com

jamessd
July 21st 07, 10:13 PM
If its static, then push off the ground harder, and perhaps put more
weight on the seat when you get on, rather than putting weight on your
mounting (back) foot.

Or... do the above, and have the pedals between vertical & horizontal
if it makes it easier, cos then when u do the first hop u can just
push the pedals round a bit.

--
jamessd

My videos:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rofwXXixjNQ
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tn9kG5kNSzc

Add me:
http://www.usenet.com

Mikefule
July 21st 07, 10:22 PM
Using the search facility will produce large numbers of answers, of
varying degrees of usefulness.

In some ways, "horizontal" is the worst postion for any sort of static
mount except a jump.

For a simple static mount, I have the cranks at about 45 degrees, with
the lower of the two pedals being the one closer to me.

Put the seat "in place", and put your foot on the back pedal.

Now, as you step up, push the unicycle forward ever so slightly. This
will make the back pedal rise and press against your foot. The
unicycle will "lock" for a moment and you will pivot up into the riding
position.

I find it helps to have the unicycle leaning ever so slightly to one
side. I usually have my left foot on the "back" pedal, which means
that before I mount, my weight is on my right foot, and the unicycle is
leaning ever so slightly to the right.

I also find it helps to hold the front of the seat with my right hand.

As you become a more confident rider, your mounting will improve. As
you learn to ride slowly, stop under control, and later to idle,
mounting will become easier.

I rode unicycle for over 15 years using only the "vertical cranks"
static mount. I was hitting about 1 in 3, and it was tiring and
frustrating. Then someone gave me the "diagonal cranks" advice, and
suddenly it was easy.

Good luck.:)

--
Mikefule

I once had a bad experience with a bigot. Now I hate them all - even
the ones I haven't met.
http://www.usenet.com

johnfoss
July 22nd 07, 01:13 AM
What Mikefule said. Now, you'll notice that it's still hard to keep that
pedal from going down. Long as you keep straightening that leg, that
pedal will go down. So don't straighten that leg. Instead of pushing
down, just hold your knee at whatever angle it's at while you rotate
yourself up and over the unicycle's balance point. Then you just pedal
away!

Yes, it takes a while to get.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view
http://www.usenet.com

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home