PDA

View Full Version : Nimbus 36" VS Coker

tholmer
July 25th 07, 05:01 PM
I am trying to decide between a Nimbus 36" or a Coker (which it looks
none are available till 2008).

Any opinions to which would be a better choice? Right now I ride a KH
24" that I just love!! But I want to add to my collection.

Thanks.

--
tholmer
http://www.usenet.com

wumpus
July 25th 07, 07:13 PM
well i received my nimbus 36 two weeks ago, and have been commuting
every other day 5.2 miles to work .... It is a blast. My T7 handle
broke at a weld... :( but UDC quickly shipped a replacement.... (i
like the handle, nice for climbing steep hills)

my only qualms is how hard the 24 seems to ride in comparison.... the
36 inch wheel just goes... and is so smooth a ride. my muni seems
sluggish and well no nearly as easy to maintain momentum etc...

I think i would have been just as happy frame wise with the radial..
but the airfoil is great...

--
wumpus
http://www.usenet.com

kington99
July 25th 07, 08:24 PM
Coker are currently bringing out a new model. They have not released any
info apart from a picture, where the uni is covered by a blanket.
Therefore unfortunately no-one knows what spec the cokers available in
2008 will be, so we can't really answer your question. Having said
that, I love my N36.

--
kington99

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

cathwood
July 25th 07, 09:02 PM
kington99 wrote:
> Coker are currently bringing out a new model. They have not released any
> info apart from a picture, where the uni is covered by a blanket.
> Therefore unfortunately no-one knows what spec the cokers available in
> 2008 will be, so we can't really answer your question. Having said
> that, I love my N36.

From what I've heard here the word *currently* seems a bit optimistic.

I have an nimbus 36 with T7 handle and airfoil rim and I love it.

--
cathwood

Cathy
http://www.usenet.com

kington99
July 25th 07, 09:04 PM
cathwood wrote:
> From what I've heard here the word *currently* seems a bit optimistic.
>
> I have an nimbus 36 with T7 handle and airfoil rim and I love it.

Well they're currently in the process of bringing it out.:) When
they've finished bringing it out is an entirely different matter, I
think 2008 is probably a reasonable expectation.

--
kington99

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

tomblackwood
July 25th 07, 09:06 PM
The Nimbus 36 is a well-designed communter uni, affordable, and best of
all, AVAILABLE. Just my view, but I don't think Coker will be coming
out with anything so superior (and affordable) to make it worth
delaying your gratification.

Bird in the hand and all that...

tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...
http://www.usenet.com

uni_jim
July 26th 07, 05:29 AM
i want the nimbus:(

--
uni_jim

phthoruth wrote:
> just because Kris can do it, doesnt mean its possible :)

'evolve trials'
(http://tinyurl.com/2uho7c)
http://www.usenet.com

daveyearp
July 26th 07, 10:35 AM
I took delivery of my Nibus 36, now know as Bridgette (the midget),
about 3 weeks ago ... love it .. great fun. If you have the funds ..
don't hang around get one ordered today.. Cheers Davey

--
daveyearp
http://www.usenet.com

tholmer
July 27th 07, 03:25 PM
Thanks everybody for your input. Looks like I will be ordering my
Nimbus 36 as soon as possible. Sounds like I should get the T Handle?

--
tholmer
http://www.usenet.com

mark williamson
July 27th 07, 03:51 PM
kington99 wrote:
> Coker are currently bringing out a new model. They have not released any
> info apart from a picture, where the uni is covered by a blanket.
> Therefore unfortunately no-one knows what spec the cokers available in
> 2008 will be, so we can't really answer your question. Having said
> that, I love my N36.

My understanding (from e-mails that were published in forum threads)
was that they're using an alloy rim and a new hub. They were also
giving thought to different tyre designs. Last estimate I saw from
them was that the new uni would be unveiled later this year. But if
it's not, it would by no means be the first time their estimates had
slipped ;)

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
http://www.usenet.com

mark williamson
July 27th 07, 03:55 PM
tholmer wrote:
> Thanks everybody for your input. Looks like I will be ordering my
> Nimbus 36 as soon as possible. Sounds like I should get the T Handle?

Some people like the handle, others don't. But after using one on my
36" for a bit, I bought another one for my 29er ;-) Apart from the
fact the handle can be nice to have, it gives you somewhere to put all
your stuff :D

See my review here:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54951

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
http://www.usenet.com

tholmer
July 31st 07, 03:12 PM
Can you tell me what an airfoil rim is? Did you purchase it that way?
sorry if this is a stupid question...

Tammy

--
tholmer
http://www.usenet.com

innes
July 31st 07, 06:16 PM
If you buy the Nimbus 36" Deluxe in the USA it comes with more options,
and a aluminium Airfoil rim.

In the UK we have to buy the rim seperatly, then get the wheel
rebuilt.

I think the standard USA Nimbus 36" unicycle is the same as the UK
Unicycle.

The Airfoil rim will be lighter, and stronger than the standard steel
rim.

Innes

--
innes
http://www.usenet.com

September 6th 07, 04:44 AM
On Jul 31, 12:16 pm, innes
> wrote:
> If you buy theNimbus36" Deluxe in the USA it comes with more options,
> and a aluminium Airfoil rim.
>
> In the UK we have to buy the rim seperatly, then get the wheel
> rebuilt.
>
> I think the standard USANimbus36" unicycle is the same as the UK
> Unicycle.
>
> The Airfoil rim will be lighter, and stronger than the standard steel
> rim.
>
> Innes
>
> --
> innes
> http://www.usenet.com

I have a 32.5 inch inseam. Will I be able to ride the NImbus 36 with
the handle. Is anybody's inseam close to mine?

feel the light
September 6th 07, 07:37 AM
I have no idea why many sites post these crazy inseam requirements.
Perhaps they are sick of morons who cannot grasp the concept of a
hacksaw returning things. Not only the seat post, but also part of the
top frame can be shortened easily. I bet midgets could ride 36's if
they wanted to. A little bit of frame trimming and some pedal
blocks..... They might have some trouble free mounting, but then we
all do...or did.
As far as the Coker vs something else question, I would wait for the
Coker. They have been performing a strip tease for a month now. The
frame.....misc parts...a cool new rim. I don't see why they would do
that whole dance just to sit back stage again. I expect the new Coker
to pop out very soon, a week or so. If they weren't ready, they
wouldn't have started the promo show.:D Give the original 36 inch girl
some credit, and wait for her. It's not often we get a new show in the
big side of uni town ! Wait for the original fat girl to sing. Eat some
pop corn.:)

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com

Chrashing
September 6th 07, 04:49 PM
Why is anyone optimistic about the new Coker AR big wheel? The AR 4
pronged frame looks heavy, and may be in the way of pedaling. The AR
rim has 48 spokes which serves no advantage over the 36 spoke rim.
There has been no word on the AR wheel not being 36" like all other big
wheels, and splinned hub (if offered) would only be a benefit to
extremely few extreme big wheel riders. Coker hasn't invented flubber,
the tires are the same rubber as anyone else's, maybe they have a
flopper.

AR = Almost Ready

I'm not going to say don't wait for Coker, but giving Coker the benefit
of the doubt, how much better than the Nimbus 36 or the Radial 360
could it be?

Nothing they've leaked has been revolutionary, it has seemed moslty
odd. Maybe if they leaked out "Aluminum frame", at this point, that
would be interesting.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken ... I say it's a great exercise. They say it's a mid-life thing.
http://www.usenet.com

scotthue
September 6th 07, 06:19 PM
wrote:
> I have a 32.5 inch inseam. Will I be able to ride the NImbus 36 with
> the handle. Is anybody's inseam close to mine?

Easy, I'm 31 or 30 and works fine w/o the handle
with the handle, the frame needs to be cut down just a tad, but thats
no biggie

EDIT: Thats with 125/127mm(don't remember) cranks

Also pounce on the Nimbus SE while it's still around, its much better
and it is basically an airfoil rim

--
scotthue
http://www.usenet.com

feel the light
September 7th 07, 03:19 AM
You're all gonna have to wait. Coker has announced the roll out is next
week.
The double tube triangle frame doesn't have to be alum to work well.
Using tubing 1/3 as thick, they could have a frame as strong as the
radial and 1/3 lighter. Please pass the popcorn....:)

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com

Buck[_2_]
December 29th 08, 02:15 PM
I am kind of new to uni riding, 29 Aug 08 and have just moved up to (I
think Nimbus 36 inch) I bought this off of e bay and love it! The seat
says Nimbus, so I assume it is but except for the unicycle.com markings
there are no other markings. My question to the folks smarter than my
self, are there any other ways I can tell which model I have and what
is an Nimbus and will the parts from other 36 inch unicycles fit, bars,
cranks etc...?

Buck

--
Buck

skilewis74
December 29th 08, 04:02 PM
Which of 'these ' (http://tinyurl.com/7ayzfd)does it resemble most?

Does the frame appear to be made of steel or aluminum?

Does it come w/ brake mounts? For what type of brakes? (caliper,
V-brake, Magura hydrolic)

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'

UnICycleRoCKs
December 30th 08, 12:11 AM
It also could have been the Radial, which I know was on eBay for a while
and isn't any more.

--
UnICycleRoCKs

"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"
Edgar Bergen
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind.”
Dr. Suess

Buck[_2_]
January 5th 09, 01:47 AM
After some research I found it is a Nimbus. I love riding! I have only
been riding since 29 Aug 08 but can't get enough of it!! I am an injured
runner ( ultra marathoner) and started riding to keep busy while
recovering but I am having so much fun riding I may never go back to
running. As I said I am having a lot of fun, at 50 it is nice to improve
at something and I feel a lot better in the morning.

--
Buck

skilewis74
January 5th 09, 02:26 AM
Welcome:)

MuniSano is also an ultra-marathoner:cool:, took up Muni for cross
training (I think he still runs races).

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'