PDA

View Full Version : how is this powdercoated frame so cheap?

skrobo
July 26th 07, 02:46 AM
the regular price to get anything powder coated is something like $40 a
part, how then can these frames be powder coated, even en masse and be
available for a little less than 1/2 the price?

'i love UDC :)' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=848)

--
skrobo

><> Unicycle For Christ <><
'my video!' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58465)
http://www.usenet.com

James_Potter
July 26th 07, 02:50 AM
Probably because to powdercoat just one frame, you just stick a single
one in the oven and let it do it's thing...but you can spray like ten
thousand frames and stick them ALL in an oven at once and so you have
ten thousand powdercoated frames for the price of one!!

--
James_Potter

i still believe that all you need is love...john
lennon
'*mikael atkinson*' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)
*♥ Unicycle For Peace ♥*
http://www.usenet.com

torkerdx
July 26th 07, 05:18 AM
James_Potter wrote:
> Probably because to powdercoat just one frame, you just stick a single
> one in the oven and let it do it's thing...but you can spray like ten
> thousand frames and stick them ALL in an oven at once and so you have
> ten thousand powdercoated frames for the price of one!!

yeah if you have a massive oven big enought to do it all

not sure on why it is so cheap

when i got my frame purple it was free.
helps when you own all the stuff to begin with though

--
torkerdx

johnfoss wrote:
> Yes, being old makes you stupid.
http://www.usenet.com

James_Potter
July 26th 07, 07:39 AM
torkerdx wrote:
> yeah if you have a massive oven big enought to do it all

Exactly, I imagine huge corporations could get big enough ovens.

--
James_Potter

i still believe that all you need is love...john
lennon
'*mikael atkinson*' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)
*♥ Unicycle For Peace ♥*
http://www.usenet.com

torkerdx
July 26th 07, 07:50 AM
James_Potter wrote:
> Exactly, I imagine huge corporations could get big enough ovens.

for 10,000 frames? lets see 20*2*6in
times 10,000
assuming they get the packing into the oven right that is still
24000000 sq in

i want to see that oven

--
torkerdx

johnfoss wrote:
> Yes, being old makes you stupid.
http://www.usenet.com

BYZA
July 26th 07, 08:40 AM
well powder coating is probably cheaper to do or just as cheap as
chrome, and i dont know where you go for your powdercoating but i just
had my kh drilled rim p coated pearl white and it cost 20bucks
australian, so 40 U.S. is way steep

also doing multiple frames would bring cost down compared to a single
item.

--
BYZA

improving each day revs r cool, i say rev it up!
CRANKFLIP CHAMPION!! 1st place )---'O, Crankflip link
to crankflip vid > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TmQnEIXc4Y
Street Dog (my vid) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijM6vbhc5xs
thats my msn right there
http://www.usenet.com

Unicorn
July 26th 07, 12:51 PM
To torkerdx:

First of all you added an extra zero onto that number and the oven
would have to be in cubic inches not square inches. So you are looking
at 2400000 cu in. Now that is equal to 1389 cu ft. That would be an
oven with the interior dimension of 13.8 ft by 10 ft by 10ft. Not so
big by industrial standards.

Unicorn

--
Unicorn

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
accomplish great feats!
http://www.usenet.com

johnfoss
July 26th 07, 01:34 PM
If it's that cheap, that means it's almost guaranteed to be powder
coated from the factory. Large-scale production, much, much lower cost.
A single frame, which you bring to a powdercoater, requires all hand
work to prep and do it, and lots of labor individually applied to that
one piece. In the factory it might be as little double the amount of
labor, or even less if the factory does lots of powder coating and has
a good system.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view
http://www.usenet.com

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home