PDA

View Full Version : Ride the Lobster - US riders? East coast?

siafirede
July 31st 07, 07:26 AM
I figured that since there were other threads with people looking for
team members, I thought I should jump on the opportunity as well!

I am from the DC area and I am looking for team mates for Ride the
Lobster. I am guessing that there are going to be a few U.S. teams
competing, and that those of you on the west coast have already thought
about it some. It seems that most of the long distance riders live out
there anyway. I am actually planning on moving out to that coast
(maybe Seattle) sometime in the near future...but I am not sure when.

Either way...I am here in DC now, and it would be kind of cool to get a
team together with riders who have distance under their belt and are
decently fast/well paced. RTL sounds way too fun to miss out on, and I
am 100% into going as long as I have a team.

Post a reply if you are from the US and are seriously considering
competing and are looking for some team members. I guess it would be
ideal to have my team mates close to me, but even if you are from the
west coast or middle America and want team mates post a reply!

Also, if you already have a team together for the most part...post a
reply, so I can see how many US teams are considering the event.

--
siafirede

James = my name
'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace
http://www.usenet.com

tomblackwood
July 31st 07, 08:53 AM
I am definitely considering, and don't yet have any team plans or
alignment.

The distance isn't an issue for me, but the speed might be. I'm not
the fastest rider among the people I ride with, although I've been
lucky enough to ride with a pretty elite crowd where I'm not too
embarassed to be at the back of the pack.

The good news is I'm getting faster by the day with training, and I'm
not specifically training for speed. I'm training for distance and
climbing, in prep for the 'MS Bike Tour'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62934). If I commit
to RTL, I'd switch focus to more speed, shorter stops, eating on the
fly.

On a side note, if you decide to move to Seattle, post up on that one.
We have a pretty active riding community out here, and mix it up
between cokering, muni, and the occassional trials.

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...
http://www.usenet.com

steveyo
July 31st 07, 01:02 PM
Rolandisimo and I (both from Albany NY) intend to compete together. We
may be teaming with unipsychler (Greg), or JustOneWheel (Adam), or one
of the Stone brothers, or Vince from Montreal, or Eric from Rhode
Island, or Mark from Vermont, or maybe you, siafirede!

Hope that helps - :eek: :D :D :D

--
steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
http://www.usenet.com

redwelly
July 31st 07, 01:56 PM
tomblackwood wrote:
> I'd switch focus to more speed, shorter stops, eating on the fly.

I'm sure things will become clear once we start this thing, but the way
I imagine it eating while riding shouldn't be very necessary. As you
can swap between team members as much as you like it would be unlikely
that a rider would need to go for more than an hour at a time - so
you'll be able to do any eating and re-fettling you need to back in the
support vehicle.

Of course eating in the saddle would be a handy skill to be confident
at for general riding :)

Sam

--
redwelly

"Sometimes you feel like pizza, somethings you feel like chocolate,
sometimes you feel like throwing up, so it's really nice to be able to
pick and choose." - Ken Looi, -GizmoDuck-
http://www.usenet.com

oldgeezers940
July 31st 07, 02:17 PM
Do you know if RTL is going to be an annual thing??

I know this is really far in advanced but if it is I'd be up for it in
'09.

I think I want to do something a little more casual and maybe a little
longer next summer. But in two years I could do it. I live like ?2
1/2 hours? from DC. Up by Baltimore.

--
oldgeezers940
http://www.usenet.com

mikepenton
July 31st 07, 02:21 PM
Remember each team needs a support person too. To look after the team,
drive them around, maintain unicycles, fetch beers & give foot
massages...

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)
http://www.usenet.com

genbirch
July 31st 07, 06:31 PM
Will there be space available for all interested parties? What will be
the weed out factor if there are too many willing bodies?
I'm absolutely interested but as I'm from Minnesota, and am aware of at
least 4 people from my state likely to participate, I wonder if there
will be space in Nova for another (lone:o ) Minnesotan.
I ride excessively and use both Coker, road bike and commuter for
training purposes. I won't have any problem with the qualifying ride(s)
- but still, will there be room on the race list? If I'm in/can find a
group, I'll be there with plenty of resources and fit as a f**kin'
fiddle!
Anyway - consider ME!

--
genbirch
http://www.usenet.com

siafirede
August 7th 07, 06:18 AM
steveyo wrote:
> Rolandisimo and I (both from Albany NY) intend to compete together. We
> may be teaming with unipsychler (Greg), or JustOneWheel (Adam), or one
> of the Stone brothers, or Vince from Montreal, or Eric from Rhode
> Island, or Mark from Vermont, or maybe you, siafirede!
>
> Hope that helps - :eek: :D :D :D

Sounds like a lot of "or"s haha. I guess it is still far away though.
I wouldn't mind being on a team with some NYers. Are the Stone
brothers going to be competing? I know that someone has a
Schlumpf...which it seems every team should have at least one of, so
that would be a major plus.

--
siafirede

James = my name
'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace
http://www.usenet.com

David_Stone
August 7th 07, 06:25 AM
My brother, John, told me that he's not planning to ride the Lobster; or
to put it differently, he's planning not to ride the Lobster.

I'm planning to go and have talked with Foss about teaming up with him
and Dave White for an all-geezer team, tho it's not definite. Jacquie
will be Foss's support vehicle driver, tho, no matter what.

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
http://www.usenet.com

siafirede
August 7th 07, 07:19 AM
I agree about Cokers being better for rolling hills, but I think that
there will be some sections that are long and relatively flat on the
tour...at least some sections, and that is where the Schlumpf will
shine.

--
siafirede

James = my name
'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace
http://www.usenet.com

unicycle6869
August 7th 07, 07:22 AM
I am interested and looking at buying a N36 soon so I can start
training. I haven't done a lot of long distance but think I can do
pretty good at it if I start training now. So if anyone is out on the
west coast, hit me up. Two of my roomates said they'd do it, but I'm
really doubt how serious they are.

--
unicycle6869

Jamey (formaly tuna6869)

Which is worse, a president who screws an intern, or a president who
screws the country?

"Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien
http://www.usenet.com

GizmoDuck
August 7th 07, 07:36 AM
David_Stone wrote:

> Due to terrain issues, I have a feeling I'll be using my deluxe Coker
> rather than my Schlumpf. It seems that Cokers are better for up- and
> down-hills than gunis. It's worth noting that the recent 10k went to a
> young man on a Coker, and second place did, too. Gunis are great on
> flats and downhills, but Cokers seem better suited for rolling terrain.

I agree, but mainly because the 29" Schlumpf should be seen more as a
43.5" gear than a 29". I think unless you have very steep hillclimbs,
or else a very short set of cranks, the 29" Schlumpf in 1:1 mode is not
a very useful gear.

So it's really a case of a 43.5" gear (29 Schlumpf in high gear) vs a
36" gear. So if it the course was flat'ish, then the 29" Schlumpf
would be more useful, but if it was rolling, then the 36" Coker would
be better.

If I were your team I'd want to bring both along :p .

--
GizmoDuck

The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!!
www.uninam.net

Email me for details.
http://www.usenet.com

steveyo
August 7th 07, 01:20 PM
Rolandisimo and I, fresh off the 'Mt. Equinox hillclimb'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63220), are rarin'
to go lobsterin'.

We both have Radials and he's considering a Guni purchase. It's time
to start pushing out a few longer rides to get the qualifying
back-to-back 70km days under our belt. As I said, we're homeboys and
so we're definitely teaming up, but we haven't secured a definite third
teammate, though a few have shown interest. We're not dead set on
winning, but we're both in decent shape and with a couple more seasons
of training, we could be competitive.

I could see this thread becoming a bit of a personals page...

-SWM - enjoys muni, hillclimbs, and long rides in the sunset - seeks
same for relationship and possible RTL.
-

--
steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
http://www.usenet.com

mouse
August 7th 07, 01:35 PM
If it weren't such a trip I would consider it. It's pretty far away
distance wise and will definitely mean I'll have less of a chance to
ride in RAGBRAI as well as the Indiana tour I'm trying to plan. also, I
like the competitive aspect a bit, but when it comes to long distance
uni I'm lucky to complete the tour in general :p

--
mouse
http://www.usenet.com

David_Stone
August 11th 07, 12:47 AM
GizmoDuck wrote:
> I agree, but mainly because the 29" Schlumpf should be seen more as a
> 43.5" gear than a 29". I think unless you have very steep hillclimbs,
> or else a very short set of cranks, the 29" Schlumpf in 1:1 mode is not
> a very useful gear.
>
> So it's really a case of a 43.5" gear (29 Schlumpf in high gear) vs a
> 36" gear. So if it the course was flat'ish, then the 29" Schlumpf
> would be more useful, but if it was rolling, then the 36" Coker would
> be better.
>
> If I were your team I'd want to bring both along :p .

Yeah, I shoulda been clearer, Ken. The only reason for me to bring a
Schlumpf 29" guni would be to ride it in 43.5" mode (some have said
that the tire is actually taller than 29", making the 1.51:1 mode
closer to 45", but you get the point). When I found out that I can
def'ly bring TWO unis, the choice became clearer still: geared-up guni
for flats and mild up/down-hills, Coker for everything else. I can't
imagine too many situations where I'd want to ride the guni in 29"
mode.

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC

Check out my blog (or else):
http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
http://www.usenet.com

unipsychler
August 12th 07, 08:20 PM
steveyo wrote:
> Rolandisimo and I (both from Albany NY) intend to compete together. We
> may be teaming with unipsychler (Greg), or JustOneWheel (Adam), or one
> of the Stone brothers, or Vince from Montreal, or Eric from Rhode
> Island, or Mark from Vermont, or maybe you, siafirede!
>
> Hope that helps - :eek: :D :D :D

Steve, It's my plan to be there, but then again, it was my plan to be
at the 24-hour race in Toronto. You're fortunate to have a "homeboy"
to train with. It must be nice!

--
unipsychler

Learn to ride the unicycle QUICKLY AND SAFELY? Check out my book: Ride
The Unicycle ~ A Crash Course!www.ridetheunicycle.com/book.htm
http://www.usenet.com

siafirede
September 25th 07, 06:33 PM
I am just bumping this thread since it has been over a month. I am
still looking for some team mates, and curious as to if there have been
any updates on anyone elses U.S. team (who might need a member).

--
siafirede

James = my name
'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace

Pump Air Not Gas
http://www.usenet.com

oldgeezers940
September 28th 07, 08:00 PM
If it doesn't already exist, a system for individual riders to match
themselves up with other individual riders of similar geographic
location and competition goals should be developed.

That'd probably be extremely helpful to a wide range of people.

And if it exist anyone willing to point me in the right direction?

--
oldgeezers940

'Myspace' (myspace.com/isayhey);)
SAY WHAA?!?!:eek:

<>< Unicycle For Christ <><
http://www.usenet.com

BoojiBoy
October 2nd 07, 03:54 PM
I'm in Philadelphia and I'm planning on Riding the Lobster. I already
have a team, but I would definitely be up for some training rides or to
do a group qualifying ride. DC's not too far from Philly.

--
BoojiBoy

http://www.usenet.com

siafirede
October 3rd 07, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I would be up for a training ride or something. I am working on
setting up a DC ride, I've already got a pretty decent route planned.

I still need a team though.

--
siafirede

James = my name