PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong with Giraffe?

ulyssesnitrate9
August 2nd 07, 06:15 AM
Been riding my 5 fter around lately and the only thing that concerns me
is this popping feeling and sound I get when I ride the cycle. The
best way I can describe it is when I'm pedaling, it occurs, but not
always, and feels to me like the unicycle is popping one of it's joints
(like when you pop your knee after sitting for a while). What can this
be? The chain, the crank(s)?
Let me know and thanks!

--
ulyssesnitrate9

~My naked ears are tortured by the Sirens sweetly singing :eek:
http://www.usenet.com

fist
August 2nd 07, 06:26 AM
sounds like a loose chain, bent crank, or a missing tooth.

--
fist
http://www.usenet.com

torkerdx
August 2nd 07, 06:27 AM
ulyssesnitrate9 wrote:
> Been riding my 5 fter around lately and the only thing that concerns me
> is this popping feeling and sound I get when I ride the cycle. The
> best way I can describe it is when I'm pedaling, it occurs, but not
> always, and feels to me like the unicycle is popping one of it's joints
> (like when you pop your knee after sitting for a while). What can this
> be? The chain, the crank(s)?
> Let me know and thanks!

probably the cranks need to be tightened

--
torkerdx

johnfoss wrote:
> Yes, being old makes you stupid.
http://www.usenet.com

john_childs
August 2nd 07, 07:12 AM
Could be many things. Could be the chain is too tight and binding at a
certain point. Could be that the chain sprockets are not in alignment
with each other. Could be that one the sprockets is not properly
centered on its axle. Could be the bottom bracket is loose. Could be

Take the unicycle to a bike shop. They'll be able to diagnose the
problem.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com

ulyssesnitrate9
August 3rd 07, 01:58 PM
john_childs wrote:
> Could be many things. Could be the chain is too tight and binding at a
> certain point. Could be that the chain sprockets are not in alignment
> with each other. Could be that one the sprockets is not properly
> centered on its axle. Could be the bottom bracket is loose. Could be
>
> Take the unicycle to a bike shop. They'll be able to diagnose the
> problem.

If it helps, it really does it when I stand up on the pedals and pedal
a few feet to straighten the seat under me.

--
ulyssesnitrate9

~My naked ears are tortured by the Sirens sweetly singing :eek:
http://www.usenet.com

Eddbmxdude
August 3rd 07, 02:08 PM
Sounds like the bottom bracket bearings. Take it apart and check the
lubrication. I used to get that all the time on my Bmx, the bearings
would dry out, come out of the cage and get munched up!

Hope that helps!

Rock on!
Edd

--
Eddbmxdude

Its like England here....Iv never seen so much sun!

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

"Unicycling only makes you look like a freak when you're riding." -
Unisteve
http://www.usenet.com

Borgschulze
August 3rd 07, 04:13 PM
Eddbmxdude wrote:
> Sounds like the bottom bracket bearings. Take it apart and check the
> lubrication. I used to get that all the time on my Bmx, the bearings
> would dry out, come out of the cage and get munched up!
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Rock on!
> Edd

Ew, get sealed bearings.

--
Borgschulze

http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/
http://www.usenet.com

Beener
August 3rd 07, 07:51 PM
Not trying to be rude or funny, but if you have to stand up and pedal
while you straighten up your seat, it sounds like your not familiar
with the operation of the common wrench (spanner).
With that being said, tighten your axel (hub) bearings, spokes, bottom
bracket (such a cycle term, it's more like a middle bracket on a
giraffe uni) and definately your SEATPOST CLAMP. That way, you will
never have to stand up and straighten your seat, thus solving the
popping problem.

If you tighten and adjust everything once in awhile and the problem
persists, then take it to your LBS and have it adjusted by a pro.

--
Beener

Unicycle for Pic-a-Pop!!
http://www.usenet.com

jamessd
August 3rd 07, 08:31 PM
Well I say its the chain skipping/jumping off the cog for one link...
usually happens if you stand up and pedal hard on a BMX with a slightly
loose chain :rolleyes:

--
jamessd

My videos:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UTD3Tq-N4vU
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rofwXXixjNQ
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tn9kG5kNSzc
Add me:
http://www.usenet.com

ulyssesnitrate9
August 3rd 07, 09:32 PM
Beener wrote:
> Not trying to be rude or funny, but if you have to stand up and pedal
> while you straighten up your seat, it sounds like your not familiar
> with the operation of the common wrench (spanner).
> With that being said, tighten your axel (hub) bearings, spokes, bottom
> bracket (such a cycle term, it's more like a middle bracket on a
> giraffe uni) and definately your SEATPOST CLAMP. That way, you will
> never have to stand up and straighten your seat, thus solving the
> popping problem.
>
> If you tighten and adjust everything once in awhile and the problem
> persists, then take it to your LBS and have it adjusted by a pro.

No, it's when I'm mounting and my shorts get stuck on the back of the
seat, so I have to stand up on the pedals, pull my shorts free, then
sit back down without doing damage to my nuts

--
ulyssesnitrate9

~My naked ears are tortured by the Sirens sweetly singing :eek:
http://www.usenet.com

matti_marron
August 4th 07, 01:13 AM
try new pedals that could be the problem, als after that its got to be
either the bottom bracket bearings or the chain. Try taking the chain
off the cogs then just free spinning the crank, see if it spins
smoothly or wether it stop suddenly. Also just t be safe
lay it on its side and put lubrication into the gap between the bottom
bracket cups and axel (prefereably a thick lubricant) and leave for a
while ot soak into all the bearing, repeat this on the otherside. that
could sort your problem, also check your chain / cogs for wear.

--
matti_marron
http://www.usenet.com

johnfoss
August 4th 07, 01:43 AM
I concur with John Childs that it sounds like your chain is occasionally
catching on a tooth. Chain tension is relatively critical on a giraffe;
you want it tight but not too tight. Too loose and it can derail, which
can lead to broken bones. If you're not sure what's right, have a bike
shop look at it. When you squeeze the two sides of the chain in the
middle, they shouldn't deflect more than 1/2" or so on each side. If
they barely move at all, you're probably too tight.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view
http://www.usenet.com

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home