PDA

View Full Version : Ullrich = Weasel?!

Appkiller
July 21st 03, 06:49 PM
You may recall two years ago when a certain true cyclist, athlete and
gentleman waited for Mr. Ullrich to come up out of a ravine and rejoin
the Tour. According to Reuters, Mr. Ullrich had the opportunity to
demonstrate his own ethical superiority and sportsmanship but, as
reported:

"LUZ-ARDIDEN, France (Reuters) - Overall leader Lance Armstrong had
former team mate Tyler Hamilton to thank for his victory on the 15th
stage of the Tour de France Monday.

Hamilton slowed down the favorites group, which included second-placed
German Jan Ullrich, after the defending champion crashed on the climb
to the finish.

Armstrong had just counter-attacked behind Iban Mayo when he appeared
to get a spectator's bag snagged in his brake lever, bringing himself
and the Basque rider crashing to the ground.

"There's an unwritten rule in cycling that when the yellow jersey
crashes or has a mechanical (problem) you wait for him," said
Hamilton, who was Armstrong's right-hand man at U.S. Postal until he
left the team at the end of 2001.

"I didn't feel like the riders were waiting and I felt a
responsibility to go to the front and make a hand gesture to slow
down...."

I haven't seen the viddie but the story seems to speak for itself.
Kudos to Tyler for his heroic cycling and promotion of fair play.

App

The Causey Way
July 21st 03, 07:27 PM
"Kevan Smith" /\/\> wrote in message
> On 21 Jul 2003 10:49:22 -0700, (Appkiller) from
> http://groups.google.com/ wrote:
>
> >"I didn't feel like the riders were waiting and I felt a
> >responsibility to go to the front and make a hand gesture to slow
> >down...."
> >
> >I haven't seen the viddie but the story seems to speak for itself.
> >Kudos to Tyler for his heroic cycling and promotion of fair play.
>
> Why don't you wait to hear Ulrich's comments before condemning him?

After the finish, Lance said he appreciated Ulrich waiting for him.

W K
July 21st 03, 11:01 PM
"Kevan Smith" /\/\> wrote in message
> On 21 Jul 2003 10:49:22 -0700, (Appkiller) from
> http://groups.google.com/ wrote:
>
> >"I didn't feel like the riders were waiting and I felt a
> >responsibility to go to the front and make a hand gesture to slow
> >down...."
> >
> >I haven't seen the viddie but the story seems to speak for itself.
> >Kudos to Tyler for his heroic cycling and promotion of fair play.
>
> Why don't you wait to hear Ulrich's comments before condemning him?

Because he's a nasty german.
As bad as the french but quiet about it.

David L. Johnson
July 22nd 03, 12:36 AM
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:49:22 +0000, Appkiller wrote:

> You may recall two years ago when a certain true cyclist, athlete and
> gentleman waited for Mr. Ullrich to come up out of a ravine and rejoin the
> Tour. According to Reuters, Mr. Ullrich had the opportunity to
> demonstrate his own ethical superiority and sportsmanship but, as
> reported:

> Hamilton slowed down the favorites group, which included second-placed
> German Jan Ullrich, after the defending champion crashed on the climb to
> the finish.

But this did not report that Ullrich was attacking. I don't think he knew
what had happened until Hamilton gestured to slow people down. But
Ullrich did not take advantage of the accident.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | More people object to wearing fur than leather because it is
_`\(,_ | safer to harrass rich white women than motorcycle gangs.
(_)/ (_) |

Eric S. Sande
July 22nd 03, 01:46 AM
>>Why don't you wait to hear Ulrich's comments before condemning him?

>Because he's a nasty german.

Jan isn't a team player. And his staff isn't that great either.

But he's a hell of a cyclist, this is his comeback year and he's
dogging the crap out of a tired Lance Armstrong.

This one is not yet in the record books.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------

Mark Hickey
July 22nd 03, 02:11 AM
(Appkiller) wrote:

>Hamilton slowed down the favorites group, which included second-placed
>German Jan Ullrich, after the defending champion crashed on the climb
>to the finish.
>
>Armstrong had just counter-attacked behind Iban Mayo when he appeared
>to get a spectator's bag snagged in his brake lever, bringing himself
>and the Basque rider crashing to the ground.
>
>"There's an unwritten rule in cycling that when the yellow jersey
>crashes or has a mechanical (problem) you wait for him," said
>Hamilton, who was Armstrong's right-hand man at U.S. Postal until he
>left the team at the end of 2001.
>
>"I didn't feel like the riders were waiting and I felt a
>responsibility to go to the front and make a hand gesture to slow
>down...."
>
>I haven't seen the viddie but the story seems to speak for itself.
>Kudos to Tyler for his heroic cycling and promotion of fair play.

Ullrich DID slow down - I suspect Tyler was talking about the other
riders (I did see his hand gesture in the OLN coverage). In fact,
Ullrich was well ahead of Tyler when Lance went down, and obviously
slowed down before Tyler caught him.

Ultimately they all did the right thing, because Lance rejoined the
group very quickly (even if he DID get a "little overexcited" at
first) (no spoiler here...)

Ya think Pantani woulda waited? ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Paul Southworth
July 22nd 03, 02:37 AM
In article >,
Kevan Smith </dev/null> wrote:
>On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:27:00 -0400, "The Causey Way" <death@tospam> from wrote:
>

>>"Kevan Smith" /\/\> wrote in message

>>> Why don't you wait to hear Ulrich's comments before condemning him?
>>

>>After the finish, Lance said he appreciated Ulrich waiting for him.
>
>And of course Tyler would want them to slow down more -- he's in tremendous
>pain. Ligget questions whether Ulrich waiting was a good thing to do on the
>official tour site: "Should Ullrich have waited for him? After all two years
>ago, it was a great gesture, but of little importance to the race -- they were
>going downhill. This time, Ullrich lost all his rhythm and he can never
>accelerate like Lance. Just another viewpoint."

I noticed that dailypeloton.com also said in their live report that
today the Postal team dropped the pace on the Col d'Aspin to wait for
Ullrich who had lost 30 seconds due to some kind of mechanical problem.

I suspect a lot of this hubbub is just more media histrionics, trying
to blow up every Powerbar fart into TV drama.

--Paul

Eric S. Sande
July 22nd 03, 02:58 AM
>I noticed that dailypeloton.com also said in their live report that
>today the Postal team dropped the pace on the Col d'Aspin to wait for
>Ullrich who had lost 30 seconds due to some kind of mechanical problem.

Ullrich's only mechanical problem is that he has no domestiques to
cover him on the climbs, his Team Bianchi is close to burnt.

>I suspect a lot of this hubbub is just more media histrionics,
>trying to blow up every Powerbar fart into TV drama.

Blame it on TV.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------

Golightly F.
July 22nd 03, 04:16 AM
"The Causey Way" <death@tospam>
> After the finish, Lance said he appreciated Ulrich waiting for him.

Actually he said he "figured they slowed" because he caught up so fast. He
then said "maybe it was a payback...".

"figured" and "maybe"

hth

W K
July 22nd 03, 09:19 AM
"Robert Dole" > wrote in message
om...

> > Because he's a nasty german.
> > As bad as the french but quiet about it.
>
> A bad troll attempt.

But what the poster seemed to be hinting at.

Hamilton = all american hero
Ullrich = nasty sneaky krauty weasel.

Its hard to tell what happened and who noticed.

But basically Hamilton is in the same team. Its his job to look after his
strongest team-mate.
OTOH its Ullrich's job to beat him.

Glhudson1
July 22nd 03, 10:38 AM
>Ya think Pantani woulda waited? ;-)

lance would have had to been on the ground for a long time to find out that
answer.

gary

Dennis P. Harris
July 22nd 03, 10:44 AM
On 21 Jul 2003 10:49:22 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc,
(Appkiller) wrote:

> I haven't seen the viddie but the story seems to speak for itself.

no it doesn't, and you leapt before you looked. ullrich
apparently didn't know that lance had crashed.

Appkiller
July 22nd 03, 06:51 PM

> Wow. You admit you don't know what was going on but still took the
> time to slam Ullrich. That's sad.

Wow, neither of us were there and I took the direct quotes from the
rider who was there to support my claim. You took the word of a
journalist who very possibly was not even in Europe at the time. It
appears there is some conflict. I'll stick with the story including
direct quotes from the rider who was actually OUT ON THE ROAD RIDING
RIGHT NEXT TO JAN ULLRICH.

READ THE ARTICLE.

I didn't say I didn't know what was going on. I said I didn't see the
viddie, but I did read about eight articles, including the one from
Reuters with DIRECT QUOTES FROM TYLER HAMILTON.

READ THE ARTICLE.

Did you read the Reuters article?

READ THE ARTICLE.

Your reading comprehension skills are what are really sad.

READ THE ARTICLE.

Ride safely,

App

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX
July 22nd 03, 10:22 PM
Funny that - in a post stage interview with a certain Mr Armstrong who wears a
yellow jersey in Le Tour, he thanked Ullrich for his sportsmanlike act of
slowing until Armstrong rejoined the race. Of course, what does that Mr
Armstrong know, nothing, obviously ;-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

James Hodson
July 23rd 03, 12:48 AM
On 21 Jul 2003 10:49:22 -0700, (Appkiller) wrote:

>I haven't seen the viddie but the story seems to speak for itself.
>Kudos to Tyler for his heroic cycling and promotion of fair play.

Hi App

I watched the entire stage live on TV. Although Ullrich didn't stop he
looked behind often, waiting for Armstrong and Mayo to catch up with
his group. He certainly slowed down considerably.

So, IMO, not a weasel.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

Robert Dole
July 23rd 03, 03:04 AM
"W K" > wrote

> But basically Hamilton is in the same team. Its his job to look after his
> strongest team-mate.
> OTOH its Ullrich's job to beat him.

Hamilton isn't on the same team any more.

He traded life as a domestique for US Postal for the more glamorous
life as the headline General Classification rider for a Danish team.

So, at least in theory, he's just as much a competitor to Armstrong as
Jan is.

On the other hand, Tyler has such a long history with Lance that I'm
sure his mind automatically keeps track of him without thinking about
it.

W K
July 23rd 03, 09:02 AM
"Appkiller" > wrote in message
om...

> I didn't say I didn't know what was going on. I said I didn't see the
> viddie, but I did read about eight articles, including the one from
> Reuters with DIRECT QUOTES FROM TYLER HAMILTON.

yebbut, lance said it was a bag .
He was there, and he couldn't tell it was a cap.

Appkiller
July 23rd 03, 01:20 PM
(wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote in message >...
> Funny that - in a post stage interview with a certain Mr Armstrong who wears a
> yellow jersey in Le Tour, he thanked Ullrich for his sportsmanlike act of
> slowing until Armstrong rejoined the race. Of course, what does that Mr
> Armstrong know, nothing, obviously ;-)
>

> Cheers, helen s
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> This is sent from a redundant email
> Mail sent to it is dumped
> My correct one can be gleaned from
> h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
> by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
> ~~~~~~~~~~

You guys are right. Tyler Hamilton is a big fat liar-head.

Thanks for pointing that out to me.

App

James Hodson
July 23rd 03, 09:40 PM
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:24:28 -0500, Kevan Smith
/\/\> wrote:

>Here's what velonews.com reported today:
>
> Later in the stage, when Armstrong crashed after
> hitting a spectator's bag, he (Ulrich) respected a
> Tour tradition and let him return on his bike.
>
> "I have never in my life attacked someone who had
> crashed. That's not the way I race," he said.
>
>So, there you have it straight from the man.

Yup. As well as watching the stage live, I also watched a highlights
programme on a different channel (ITV with Liggett & Sherwin). ITV
gave a translation of Ullrich's comments.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

James Hodson
July 23rd 03, 09:48 PM
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:27:27 -0300, Chris Phillipo
> wrote:

>Of course the other possibilities are he didn't have it in him to take
>off, or he was thinking if he takes off and wins everyone is just going
>to say he won the stage because his only competition fell on his ass.
>Personlly I don't know why anyone cares either way. I frequently wait
>for people when something happens in several different forms of racing
>because I came there to race, not ride alone for the entire duration and
>coast across the finish line.

Hi Chris

Like you I can't really see what the fuss is all about. I don't race
myself - I'm far too old, unfit and generally not suitable for
anything too energetic. It did seem to me that Ullrich slowed a
little, Lance caught up (after his pedal mishap), stayed with the
leading group for bit (Carlos Sastre was doing his own thing) and only
following a short time of consolidation did he make his successful and
winning attack.

Whatever, all the major parties acted honourably, IMO.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX
July 24th 03, 12:25 PM
>Whatever, all the major parties acted honourably, IMO.

Seems about right :-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

Royce Smith
July 24th 03, 01:39 PM
Can anyone tell me what happened to Bobby Julick? Did he ride in the tour
this year? If not, why?

I don't have OLN, so the news I receive about the TdF is sketchy.

Royce

jmk
July 24th 03, 02:30 PM
There is a write up on his home page...

http://www.bobbyjulich.com/julich/

Royce Smith wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what happened to Bobby Julick? Did he ride in the tour
> this year? If not, why?
>
> I don't have OLN, so the news I receive about the TdF is sketchy.
>
> Royce

Paul Southworth
July 24th 03, 08:00 PM
In article >,
Royce Smith > wrote:
>Can anyone tell me what happened to Bobby Julick? Did he ride in the tour
>this year? If not, why?

Retired.

See http://www.bobbyjulich.com/ for a recent update.

--Paul

Paul Southworth
July 25th 03, 04:27 AM
In article >,
Paul Southworth > wrote:
>In article >,
>Royce Smith > wrote:
>>Can anyone tell me what happened to Bobby Julick? Did he ride in the tour
>>this year? If not, why?
>
>Retired.

I am such a crackhead tonight, I confused him with Kevin Livingston.
Julich is of course not retired, and if you went to the web site
you already figured out my little lie...

>See http://www.bobbyjulich.com/ for a recent update.

K. J. Papai
July 25th 03, 09:35 PM
"Royce Smith" > wrote in message >...
> Can anyone tell me what happened to Bobby Julick? Did he ride in the tour
> this year? If not, why?
>
> I don't have OLN, so the news I receive about the TdF is sketchy.
>
> Royce

You are one huge fan of his! ...and cannot even
spell his name. Amazing.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home