PDA

View Full Version : Lights

September 5th 07, 09:21 AM
My little lights are definitly not strong enough for the cycle track
home at night and I have decided to spend out. I am looking at the
Eurolight Super Bright 16 LED Front Headlight Set from Argos which
costs £39 ish.

Has anybody got this headlight set? Any opinions?

squeaker
September 5th 07, 09:39 AM
On 5 Sep, 09:21, wrote:
> My little lights are definitly not strong enough for the cycle track
> home at night and I have decided to spend out. I am looking at the
> Eurolight Super Bright 16 LED Front Headlight Set from Argos which
> costs £39 ish.
>
> Has anybody got this headlight set? Any opinions?

IMHO a light with a single high power (1W +) LED will give you more of
a beam to see with. See Hella (on offer at Halfords
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_21 9842_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varien t__categoryId_31362_crumb_33980_parentcategoryrn_3 1362),
Trelock LS700 series (try e-bay), Cateye etc..

September 5th 07, 09:42 AM
On 5 Sep, 09:21, wrote:
> My little lights are definitly not strong enough for the cycle track
> home at night and I have decided to spend out. I am looking at the
> Eurolight Super Bright 16 LED Front Headlight Set from Argos which
> costs £39 ish.
>
> Has anybody got this headlight set? Any opinions?

I don't have one, but I suspect it will give a floodlight effect - a
big bright pool of light in front of the bike, but not stretching very
far ahead, which might be what you need, but I suspect you'll find
something with a bit of beam more useful. LED lights tend to have this
problem, it's difficult (but not impossible) to get a beam from them.

I got one of these

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/src/00021/product-Cateye-Cateye-HL-EL500-1-LED-Power-Opticube-Front-Light--inc-QR-handlebar-bracket-BS-Approved-10724.htm

earlier in the year and have been very pleased with it. It's been
replaced by newer models making the SJS price very good value.

Rob

September 5th 07, 09:53 AM

> I don't have one, but I suspect it will give a floodlight effect - a
> big bright pool of light in front of the bike, but not stretching very
> far ahead, which might be what you need, but I suspect you'll find
> something with a bit of beam more useful. LED lights tend to have this
> problem, it's difficult (but not impossible) to get a beam from them.

Interesting. Yea, I'm not sure if a large pool of light or seeing far
is important. I've found with my current lights it is not the distance
that is the problem but my inibility to see exactly what is going
under my tyres! Part of my cycle track has also got this wonderfuly
designed bit where the white line dissapears leaving no clue as to
where the curb and a short fall into the busy A40 is. Might be
thinking the spot light effect is what I need. Hummm....not sure.
Shame you can't road test these things before you buy them!

September 5th 07, 10:13 AM
On 5 Sep, 09:53, wrote:
> > I don't have one, but I suspect it will give a floodlight effect - a
> > big bright pool of light in front of the bike, but not stretching very
> > far ahead, which might be what you need, but I suspect you'll find
> > something with a bit of beam more useful. LED lights tend to have this
> > problem, it's difficult (but not impossible) to get a beam from them.
>
> Interesting. Yea, I'm not sure if a large pool of light or seeing far
> is important. I've found with my current lights it is not the distance
> that is the problem but my inibility to see exactly what is going
> under my tyres!

Unless you cycle extremely slowly, I suspect you'll find the beam more
useful. I guess you are worried about what's going under your tyres
because you haven't been able to see very ahead. Try in daylight to
work out how far ahead you look - if it's more than a bikelength, I
think you'd be better with a beam. You can always aim the beam down if
that's what's most useful.

> Shame you can't road test these things before you buy them!

Argos are very good about taking things back

"If I change my mind...
Within 30 days
Most things we sell are covered by our 30-day money-back guarantee.
Just return them to any store, unused, in their original undamaged
packaging, in a saleable condition, along with the receipt* and we'll
give you a refund."

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm

Assuming it comes in packaging you can get into without damaging it, I
doubt if they could tell you'd tried it out, or IME would care.

But personally I'd forget the Argos one and go straight for the Cateye
as a better light at half the price.

Rob

September 5th 07, 10:24 AM
> Assuming it comes in packaging you can get into without damaging it, I
> doubt if they could tell you'd tried it out, or IME would care.
>
> But personally I'd forget the Argos one and go straight for the Cateye
> as a better light at half the price.
>
> Rob

Good stuff Rob. I think I will take your advice and try the Cateye.
I've got a Halford's voucher left over from my birthday so it might be
a good use for it! I am doing the London to Paris later this month too
so need a good strong beam for that as there is some night cycling
involved.
I shall head off to Halfords at lunchtime, unpack it carefuly and go
for a ride tonight!

Peter Clinch
September 5th 07, 10:38 AM
wrote:
> My little lights are definitly not strong enough for the cycle track
> home at night and I have decided to spend out. I am looking at the
> Eurolight Super Bright 16 LED Front Headlight Set from Argos which
> costs £39 ish.
>
> Has anybody got this headlight set? Any opinions?

Lateral thinking... a road alternative may be either better lit and/or
less in need of serious lighting anyway (better surface, wider lane) and
remove the need for more light.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

September 5th 07, 10:52 AM
On 5 Sep, 10:24, wrote:
> > Assuming it comes in packaging you can get into without damaging it, I
> > doubt if they could tell you'd tried it out, or IME would care.
>
> > But personally I'd forget the Argos one and go straight for the Cateye
> > as a better light at half the price.
>
> > Rob
>
> Good stuff Rob. I think I will take your advice and try the Cateye.
> I've got a Halford's voucher left over from my birthday so it might be
> a good use for it! I am doing the London to Paris later this month too
> so need a good strong beam for that as there is some night cycling
> involved.
> I shall head off to Halfords at lunchtime, unpack it carefuly and go
> for a ride tonight!

Er, don't think Halford's sell that particular Cateye, that was
somebody else's recommendation for a Bikehut own brand. I'd say that
will still be better than the Argos flood light, but the Halford's one
is 650 candlepower for £32 v. over 1000 candlepower for £22.50 (inc.
p&P) for the Cateye. The Halford one would probably do if you can't
find anything else to use your voucher on, the Cateye from SJS (see
link in previous post) is just much better value.

Still, it's much easier to take stuff back to Halfords, so try it to
see if you like the beam, then take it back and get the Cateye from
SJS!

Good luck with London to Paris - if you do that sort of riding I'm
sure you need a beam. I got my Cateye for an overnight ride (Exmouth
Exodus) and it was great. It also transformed my commute - I'd had a
flood type LED light (nothing like as good as the Argos one) which was
OK, but meant I had to concentrate a lot and restrict my speed on
hills. The Cateye changed all that, I ride pretty much as I would in
daylight, much more relaxing. If it's aimed a bit high, I get
complaints from motorisits that I haven't dipped it!

Rob

September 5th 07, 10:53 AM

> Lateral thinking... a road alternative may be either better lit and/or
> less in need of serious lighting anyway (better surface, wider lane) and
> remove the need for more light.
>
> Pete.

Tried that. Same trouble in reverse...I couldn't see the curb! As my
rides are 100% dark country lanes, I feel less light is certainly
never an option.

Nice idea though. Thanks anway.

September 5th 07, 10:58 AM
On 5 Sep, 10:52, wrote:
> On 5 Sep, 10:24, wrote:
>
> > > Assuming it comes in packaging you can get into without damaging it, I
> > > doubt if they could tell you'd tried it out, or IME would care.
>
> > > But personally I'd forget the Argos one and go straight for the Cateye
> > > as a better light at half the price.
>
> > > Rob
>
> > Good stuff Rob. I think I will take your advice and try the Cateye.
> > I've got a Halford's voucher left over from my birthday so it might be
> > a good use for it! I am doing the London to Paris later this month too
> > so need a good strong beam for that as there is some night cycling
> > involved.
> > I shall head off to Halfords at lunchtime, unpack it carefuly and go
> > for a ride tonight!
>
> Er, don't think Halford's sell that particular Cateye, that was
> somebody else's recommendation for a Bikehut own brand. I'd say that
> will still be better than the Argos flood light, but the Halford's one
> is 650 candlepower for £32 v. over 1000 candlepower for £22.50 (inc.
> p&P) for the Cateye. The Halford one would probably do if you can't
> find anything else to use your voucher on, the Cateye from SJS (see
> link in previous post) is just much better value.
>
> Still, it's much easier to take stuff back to Halfords, so try it to
> see if you like the beam, then take it back and get the Cateye from
> SJS!
>
> Good luck with London to Paris - if you do that sort of riding I'm
> sure you need a beam. I got my Cateye for an overnight ride (Exmouth
> Exodus) and it was great. It also transformed my commute - I'd had a
> flood type LED light (nothing like as good as the Argos one) which was
> OK, but meant I had to concentrate a lot and restrict my speed on
> hills. The Cateye changed all that, I ride pretty much as I would in
> daylight, much more relaxing. If it's aimed a bit high, I get
> complaints from motorisits that I haven't dipped it!
>
> Rob

Yea, I think you have sold it to me Rob! I've been admiring it online
and 1000 candelpower for the money is fantastic! I was doing that
thing where I would by the wrong light again just because I am in a
rush to get it for tomorrow so I can cycle to an event in town!
Instead I will be sensible, order online and wait. It really does look
like a good buy!
Am hoping to be arriving at base before dark most nights of the London
to Paris....but you never know when a flat or the dreaded Bonk will
get ya!
Nx

Peter Clinch
September 5th 07, 11:05 AM
wrote:

> Tried that. Same trouble in reverse...I couldn't see the curb! As my
> rides are 100% dark country lanes, I feel less light is certainly
> never an option.

fair enough, on unlit back roads I'd agree more light is better than
what you have.

I find a hub dynamo powered B&M [D-]Oval [Senso] Plus quite adequate on
unlit back roads for all but the fastest descents, and the batteries
never run out what with there not being any. I just slow off for the
big downs, but you could supplement with battery lamps where needed.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

September 5th 07, 11:12 AM
On 5 Sep, 11:05, Peter Clinch > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Tried that. Same trouble in reverse...I couldn't see the curb! As my
> > rides are 100% dark country lanes, I feel less light is certainly
> > never an option.
>
> fair enough, on unlit back roads I'd agree more light is better than
> what you have.
>
> I find a hub dynamo powered B&M [D-]Oval [Senso] Plus quite adequate on
> unlit back roads for all but the fastest descents, and the batteries
> never run out what with there not being any. I just slow off for the
> big downs, but you could supplement with battery lamps where needed.

Ooo, dynamo was another option I was considering! My commute if 15
miles each way on unlit roads so I have to carry spare batteries and
sometimes spare lights too. A dynamo might be better in the long run
maybe. Think I will stick with the Cateye option for now but look at
getting dynamos at some point in the future. I am assuming they are
better for the enviroment too as you generate your own power.

September 5th 07, 11:14 AM
On 5 Sep, 10:53, wrote:
> > Lateral thinking... a road alternative may be either better lit and/or
> > less in need of serious lighting anyway (better surface, wider lane) and
> > remove the need for more light.
>
> > Pete.
>
> Tried that. Same trouble in reverse...I couldn't see the curb! As my
> rides are 100% dark country lanes, I feel less light is certainly
> never an option.

It can be surprising what works best. Before I got my Cateye, I found
night riding a bit tense - the pool of light from my little LED light
didn't stretch very far ahead, so I always had to be ready to brake
and couldn't relax. I then discovered if I switched my front light
_off_ altogether, my eyes adapted and I could see much better. I could
see car headlights at least 30 seconds before they got to me, so had
plenty of time to turn it back on, though the headlights ruined my
adaptation and I had to slow down until I got it back.

This is on country lanes with little tree cover so not too dark, and
one car every 10 minutes. Also on top of hills, noticeably brighter
than in the valley. Even with the Cateye, I still ride this way
sometimes, but now I feel I have more of a choice.

I've never had any scares cycling this way, but I did have one with
just the floodlight - cycling towards a cluster of houses I heard a
shout, there were two people walking in the road who I'd have had to
swerve round fairly late relying on my own lighting.

Rob

September 5th 07, 11:18 AM
On 5 Sep, 11:14, wrote:
> On 5 Sep, 10:53, wrote:
>
> > > Lateral thinking... a road alternative may be either better lit and/or
> > > less in need of serious lighting anyway (better surface, wider lane) and
> > > remove the need for more light.
>
> > > Pete.
>
> > Tried that. Same trouble in reverse...I couldn't see the curb! As my
> > rides are 100% dark country lanes, I feel less light is certainly
> > never an option.
>
> It can be surprising what works best. Before I got my Cateye, I found
> night riding a bit tense - the pool of light from my little LED light
> didn't stretch very far ahead, so I always had to be ready to brake
> and couldn't relax. I then discovered if I switched my front light
> _off_ altogether, my eyes adapted and I could see much better. I could
> see car headlights at least 30 seconds before they got to me, so had
> plenty of time to turn it back on, though the headlights ruined my
> adaptation and I had to slow down until I got it back.
>
> This is on country lanes with little tree cover so not too dark, and
> one car every 10 minutes. Also on top of hills, noticeably brighter
> than in the valley. Even with the Cateye, I still ride this way
> sometimes, but now I feel I have more of a choice.
>
> I've never had any scares cycling this way, but I did have one with
> just the floodlight - cycling towards a cluster of houses I heard a
> shout, there were two people walking in the road who I'd have had to
> swerve round fairly late relying on my own lighting.
>
> Rob

Ahhh, the joys of night cycling! I do struggle with the dazzle from
oncoming headlights. I tend to lose my place in the road until they
are close enough to light my way instead of blind me! I also ride a
road bike so I am always worred about hitting a pothole and busting my
wheel.

I think I found it extra hard last night becuase it is my first dark
ride since the clocks changed. It always takes a few rides to get your
confidence up and your night-vision working!

September 5th 07, 11:19 AM
On 5 Sep, 10:58, wrote:
> Yea, I think you have sold it to me Rob! I've been admiring it online
> and 1000 candelpower for the money is fantastic! I was doing that
> thing where I would by the wrong light again just because I am in a
> rush to get it for tomorrow so I can cycle to an event in town!

And there was me thinking you were fantastically organised worrying
about commuting lights in September when it doesn't get dark till
8.30.

> Instead I will be sensible, order online and wait. It really does look
> like a good buy!

I think mine came in 24 hours, you might get it tomorrow.

Rob

Tony Raven[_2_]
September 5th 07, 11:29 AM
wrote in news:1188986299.340779.249880@
50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

> On 5 Sep, 10:52, wrote:
>
> Yea, I think you have sold it to me Rob! I've been admiring it online
> and 1000 candelpower for the money is fantastic!

Don't be misled - candlepower is a next to useless measurement for bike
lights except for marketing bragging to the uninformed. It tells you only
how much total light the bulb or LED produces but nothing about how well it
is harnessed and directed to light what you want to see. Its very easy for
a 1000 candlepower light to be much worse than a 100 candlepower one as far
as illuminating a road is concerned.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Peter Clinch
September 5th 07, 11:33 AM
wrote:

> Ooo, dynamo was another option I was considering! My commute if 15
> miles each way on unlit roads so I have to carry spare batteries and
> sometimes spare lights too. A dynamo might be better in the long run
> maybe.

If it's 15 miles each way I'd certainly look to a hub dynamo for at
least the basis of your lighting power.

> Think I will stick with the Cateye option for now but look at
> getting dynamos at some point in the future. I am assuming they are
> better for the enviroment too as you generate your own power.

I'd never really thought about it from that point of view, but I think
you're right. The practical benefits alone have been enough for me.

A few years ago I'd vowed I'd never use a dynamo, but then I found out
modern ones aren't the ghastly things available when I was a sprog. The
SON hub that came on my tourer convinced me they were very much the way
I wanted to power my lighting. The SON is generally held to be the best
but the Shimanos at half the price are a lot better than half as good
(about £55 for the 371, plus cost of a wheel build).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

September 5th 07, 11:41 AM

> A few years ago I'd vowed I'd never use a dynamo, but then I found out
> modern ones aren't the ghastly things available when I was a sprog. The
> SON hub that came on my tourer convinced me they were very much the way
> I wanted to power my lighting. The SON is generally held to be the best
> but the Shimanos at half the price are a lot better than half as good
> (about £55 for the 371, plus cost of a wheel build).

Yes yes, me too! I remember a dynamo as a dim light wich slowed you
down and turned off when you stopped! How things have changed! It is
something I feel I may look into next winter when money and time is
less of an issue.

September 5th 07, 11:42 AM
On 5 Sep, 11:29, Tony Raven > wrote:
> wrote in news:1188986299.340779.249880@
> 50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:
>
> > On 5 Sep, 10:52, wrote:
>
> > Yea, I think you have sold it to me Rob! I've been admiring it online
> > and 1000 candelpower for the money is fantastic!
>
> Don't be misled - candlepower is a next to useless measurement for bike
> lights except for marketing bragging to the uninformed. It tells you only
> how much total light the bulb or LED produces but nothing about how well it
> is harnessed and directed to light what you want to see. Its very easy for
> a 1000 candlepower light to be much worse than a 100 candlepower one as far
> as illuminating a road is concerned.

Well, it's better than watts, which MTB lights seem to like quoting,
that just tells you how much electricity is used, not how much of it
is converted to light, useful or otherwise.

I agree it's a flawed measure, but as all manufacturers use it and
probably in the same way, it does give some basis for comparison. And
I do recommend the Cateye from personal experience, but the available
data doesn't prove its better than the Halfords light.

Rob

Tony Raven[_2_]
September 5th 07, 12:13 PM
wrote in
oups.com:

> I agree it's a flawed measure, but as all manufacturers use it and
> probably in the same way, it does give some basis for comparison. And
> I do recommend the Cateye from personal experience, but the available
> data doesn't prove its better than the Halfords light.

If they did use it in the same way it might be useful but they don't and it
isn't. A good example is some of the LED cluster front lights that spray
light everywhere and while they might have a high candlepower rating will
not light the road in any useful sense compared to a comparatively feeble
traditional bike light. They are however useful for being seen as they
spray light everywhere.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

September 5th 07, 12:17 PM
On 5 Sep, 12:13, Tony Raven > wrote:
> wrote egroups.com:
>

> > I agree it's a flawed measure, but as all manufacturers use it and
> > probably in the same way, it does give some basis for comparison. And
> > I do recommend the Cateye from personal experience, but the available
> > data doesn't prove its better than the Halfords light.
>
> If they did use it in the same way it might be useful but they don't and it
> isn't. A good example is some of the LED cluster front lights that spray
> light everywhere and while they might have a high candlepower rating will
> not light the road in any useful sense compared to a comparatively feeble
> traditional bike light. They are however useful for being seen as they
> spray light everywhere.

True! I went for a Halfords set which claimed to have good power and
set me back almost £20. Blooming useless it was! I got a small
rectangle of light with a weak glow around it. If it hadn't got
covered in mud on the first use, I would have taken them back!

wafflycat
September 5th 07, 02:11 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

>> Lateral thinking... a road alternative may be either better lit and/or
>> less in need of serious lighting anyway (better surface, wider lane) and
>> remove the need for more light.
>>
>> Pete.
>
> Tried that. Same trouble in reverse...I couldn't see the curb! As my
> rides are 100% dark country lanes, I feel less light is certainly
> never an option.
>
> Nice idea though. Thanks anway.

All my night time riding is on unlit country lanes.

Currently using Cateye HL-EL530
See http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/.%2fproducts%2fEL530.aspx

I have two, and have a helmet-mounted LED light too. But I do tend to go for
the low-flying UFO approach to my night-time cycling ;-)

Martin Dann
September 5th 07, 02:37 PM
wrote:
> On 5 Sep, 09:21, wrote:
>> My little lights are definitly not strong enough for the cycle track
>> home at night and I have decided to spend out. I am looking at the
>> Eurolight Super Bright 16 LED Front Headlight Set from Argos which
>> costs £39 ish.
>>
>> Has anybody got this headlight set? Any opinions?

I have bought Euro lights from argos before, and they are
IMHO Cr@p.

For battery powered lits between 10 and 50 odd pounds I
would only buy cateye lits.

In the longer term I would seriously consider getting a
hub dynamo and lit for the commuting you do. You then will
have the cateye for a spare.

Martin.

September 5th 07, 04:19 PM
> I have bought Euro lights from argos before, and they are
> IMHO Cr@p.
>
> For battery powered lits between 10 and 50 odd pounds I
> would only buy cateye lits.
>
> In the longer term I would seriously consider getting a
> hub dynamo and lit for the commuting you do. You then will
> have the cateye for a spare.
>
> Martin.

Yea, I am thinking along these lines too. Thanks.

Andreas Schulze-Bäing
September 5th 07, 04:43 PM
Am Wed, 05 Sep 2007 01:21:36 -0700 schrieb :

> My little lights are definitly not strong enough for the cycle track
> home at night and I have decided to spend out. I am looking at the
> Eurolight Super Bright 16 LED Front Headlight Set from Argos which
> costs £39 ish.
>
> Has anybody got this headlight set? Any opinions?

I have currently got a 15 year old B&M light, driven by a hub dynamo. This
will probably be my next headlight.
Lumotec IQ Fly
http://www.bumm.de/index-e.html?docu/174q-e.htm
There is also a battery version called Ixon IQ
http://www.bumm.de/index-e.html?docu/192q-e.htm

I read some good reviews - and the IQ Fly just won an award on the 2007
Eurobike:
<http://www.eurobike-exhibition.de/html/en/press/press_releases/press_releases.php?lid=10430>
http://lists.topica.com/lists/bikecurrent/read/message.html?sort=d&mid=812847159

Andreas

David Damerell
September 5th 07, 05:37 PM
Quoting Peter Clinch >:
wrote:
>>Think I will stick with the Cateye option for now but look at
>>getting dynamos at some point in the future. I am assuming they are
>>better for the enviroment too as you generate your own power.
>I'd never really thought about it from that point of view, but I think
>you're right.

It must be pretty trivial if you use rechargeables in battery lights - an
AA rechargable needs what, tuppence of electricity?
--
OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corrido r,standout,time,showexp,hilit
e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruit:okonomiyak i,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores:

Mark McNeill
September 5th 07, 06:33 PM
Response to :
> Ahhh, the joys of night cycling! I do struggle with the dazzle from
> oncoming headlights. I tend to lose my place in the road until they
> are close enough to light my way instead of blind me!

A baseball cap does it for me: I automatically tilt my head to keep the
headlights out of my eyes. I wouldn't cycle at night without something
to stop me being dazzled, especially on the trike.

--
Mark, UK
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

Daniel Barlow
September 5th 07, 07:04 PM
wrote:
> I then discovered if I switched my front light
> _off_ altogether, my eyes adapted and I could see much better. I could
> see car headlights at least 30 seconds before they got to me, so had
> plenty of time to turn it back on, though the headlights ruined my
> adaptation and I had to slow down until I got it back.

I remember a few years ago when I upgraded from Bog Standard lights to a
10W Cateye (with chunky SLA battery), that the biggest difference was
that oncoming car drivers would see it from far enough away that they
could dip their headlights before reaching me - made all the difference.
You might also try cycling with one eye closed when cars approach, then
at least when they've passed you can open it again and still see where
you're going with one eye.

This was before the cheap (comparatively cheap) decent LED headlights
came on the market, so I don't know what the equivalent of that is in
today's technology. It's been a while now since I rode anywhere that
doesn't have streetlights.

-dan

Roger Merriman
September 5th 07, 07:21 PM
> wrote:

> > I don't have one, but I suspect it will give a floodlight effect - a
> > big bright pool of light in front of the bike, but not stretching very
> > far ahead, which might be what you need, but I suspect you'll find
> > something with a bit of beam more useful. LED lights tend to have this
> > problem, it's difficult (but not impossible) to get a beam from them.
>

> Interesting. Yea, I'm not sure if a large pool of light or seeing far
> is important. I've found with my current lights it is not the distance
> that is the problem but my inibility to see exactly what is going
> under my tyres! Part of my cycle track has also got this wonderfuly
> designed bit where the white line dissapears leaving no clue as to
> where the curb and a short fall into the busy A40 is. Might be
> thinking the spot light effect is what I need. Hummm....not sure.
> Shame you can't road test these things before you buy them!

this is where multible lights come in, i have 2 lights a spot that gives
me distance and a wider beamed one that gives close in light, also means
if i should forget and let one run out of power then i still have a back
up.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Roger Merriman
September 5th 07, 07:21 PM
wafflycat > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > >
> >> Lateral thinking... a road alternative may be either better lit and/or
> >> less in need of serious lighting anyway (better surface, wider lane) and
> >> remove the need for more light.
> >>
> >> Pete.
> >
> > Tried that. Same trouble in reverse...I couldn't see the curb! As my
> > rides are 100% dark country lanes, I feel less light is certainly
> > never an option.
> >
> > Nice idea though. Thanks anway.
> >

> All my night time riding is on unlit country lanes.
>
> Currently using Cateye HL-EL530
> See http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/.%2fproducts%2fEL530.aspx
>
> I have two, and have a helmet-mounted LED light too. But I do tend to go for
> the low-flying UFO approach to my night-time cycling ;-)

heh like that, i have at present 4 lights 2 upfront and 2 at rear, at
least for my shopping/popping into town bike, i can see more might be
hard to resist.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Peter Fox[_2_]
September 6th 07, 01:20 AM
wrote:
>> I don't have one, but I suspect it will give a floodlight effect - a
>> big bright pool of light in front of the bike, but not stretching very
>> far ahead, which might be what you need, but I suspect you'll find
>> something with a bit of beam more useful. LED lights tend to have this
>> problem, it's difficult (but not impossible) to get a beam from them.
>

> Interesting. Yea, I'm not sure if a large pool of light or seeing far
> is important. I've found with my current lights it is not the distance
> that is the problem but my inibility to see exactly what is going
> under my tyres! Part of my cycle track has also got this wonderfuly
> designed bit where the white line dissapears leaving no clue as to
> where the curb and a short fall into the busy A40 is. Might be
> thinking the spot light effect is what I need. Hummm....not sure.
> Shame you can't road test these things before you buy them!

There's not much point in having a light on the ground in less than the distance you can
do something about. The light I have cost about £15 a few years ago and has a letter-box
patter and is set to shine 25-30yards in front. This lets me see (as far as possible -
tracks next to roads are impossible and woodland tracks have no contrast) (a) ahead
perhaps in time to take avoiding action and (b) gives a hint of the way the road/path is
leading. Some paths without lights are almost impossible to cycle at night regardless of
whatever lights you have. One trouble is that occasionally some lanes have straightened
out the road but left the hedges curving so by following the hedge...

For most of the way back home tonight I had my light on in the lit areas (to make my
presence known to the more frequent traffic) but not the country as I could see well
enough without it. I sympathise with you WRT your original problem path. Email the head
of the Highways Agency and ask "Are they aware of the problem cyclists have with this bit
of path and the resulting safety issues.". (Then chase and chase - They don't want to
know of course. But either the answer is NO, in which case you say come and look or YES in
which case you say what are you going to do about it. - Keep us in u.r.c informed of
progress.)

--
Peter Fox
Beer, dancing, cycling and lots more at www.eminent.demon.co.uk

Artemisia[_2_]
September 6th 07, 07:56 AM
On 5 sep, 12:18, wrote:

> I think I found it extra hard last night becuase it is my first dark
> ride since the clocks changed.

Clocks changed? Where? They don't change in Europe till the end of
October...

EFR
Ile de France

Artemisia[_2_]
September 6th 07, 07:59 AM
On 5 sep, 19:33, Mark McNeill > wrote:

> A baseball cap does it for me: I automatically tilt my head to keep the
> headlights out of my eyes. I wouldn't cycle at night without something
> to stop me being dazzled, especially on the trike.

Now there's a good tip. Baseball cap for night-riding a trike, who'd a
thunk.

EFR
Ile de France

Dave Larrington
September 6th 07, 09:52 AM
In ,
David Damerell > tweaked the Babbage-Engine
to tell us:
> Quoting Peter Clinch >:
>> wrote:
>>> Think I will stick with the Cateye option for now but look at
>>> getting dynamos at some point in the future. I am assuming they are
>>> better for the enviroment too as you generate your own power.
>> I'd never really thought about it from that point of view, but I
>> think you're right.
>
> It must be pretty trivial if you use rechargeables in battery lights
> - an AA rechargable needs what, tuppence of electricity?

Though rechargeables don't put out as many voles as non-rechargeables. I
normally use rechargeables in my EL530, but bunged in some Energizer
Lithiums for The French Ride. While 4.8 voles still puts out an adequate
amount of light, the full 6 voles is noticeably more effective.

--
Dave Larrington
Mr. Charles Kennedy (Krankieburgh): Would the Prime Minister

Clive George
September 6th 07, 12:24 PM
"Artemisia" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On 5 sep, 12:18, wrote:
>
>> I think I found it extra hard last night becuase it is my first dark
>> ride since the clocks changed.
>
> Clocks changed? Where? They don't change in Europe till the end of
> October...

But they did change in March, which was the relevant one :-)

cheers,
clive

Phil Cook
September 6th 07, 01:16 PM
Dave Larrington wrote:

>In ,
>David Damerell > tweaked the Babbage-Engine
>to tell us:

>> It must be pretty trivial if you use rechargeables in battery lights
>> - an AA rechargable needs what, tuppence of electricity?
>
>Though rechargeables don't put out as many voles as non-rechargeables. I
>normally use rechargeables in my EL530, but bunged in some Energizer
>Lithiums for The French Ride. While 4.8 voles still puts out an adequate
>amount of light, the full 6 voles is noticeably more effective.

I'm not sure how you get 4.8 VOLES. I have a picture in my mind of
small furry animals running round a hamster wheel with a dynamo :-)

Dave Larrington
September 6th 07, 02:23 PM
In ,
Phil Cook > tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:

> I'm not sure how you get 4.8 VOLES. I have a picture in my mind of
> small furry animals running round a hamster wheel with a dynamo :-)

ISTR it orginated in the uk.rec.waterways newsfroup, where there is much
talk of voles, ants and so forth in relation to boaty electrickery.

--
Dave Larrington
Odd, is it not, how all roads lead inexorably to David Icke?

Alan Braggins
September 6th 07, 02:25 PM
In article >, Dave Larrington wrote:
>David Damerell > tweaked the Babbage-Engine
>to tell us:
>> Quoting Peter Clinch >:
>>> I'd never really thought about it from that point of view, but I
>>> think you're right.
>>
>> It must be pretty trivial if you use rechargeables in battery lights
>> - an AA rechargable needs what, tuppence of electricity?
>
>Though rechargeables don't put out as many voles as non-rechargeables. I
>normally use rechargeables in my EL530, but bunged in some Energizer
>Lithiums for The French Ride. While 4.8 voles still puts out an adequate
>amount of light, the full 6 voles is noticeably more effective.

Fresh alkalines will have a higher no-load voltage than rechargeables,
but under load the rechargables lower internal resistance means they
typically have very similar output very soon (and the alkalines then
slowly decline, and the rechargables stay more level until sharply
declining).
Non-rechargeable Lithiums might well be worthwhile for a special occasion
like The French Ride, but I doubt many people use them for regular
commuting.

(On the subject of LED lights, all LED car headlights are coming soon:
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/supercars/more-details-on-audi-r8s-worlds-first-led-headlights/
(via http://acidinmylegs.blogspot.com/2007/09/car-headlights.html).
It would be nice if that lead to more high-power bike lights with proper
shaped beams for road use. The new B&M IQs look promising though.)

Peter Clinch
September 6th 07, 02:56 PM
David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Peter Clinch >:
>> wrote:
>>> Think I will stick with the Cateye option for now but look at
>>> getting dynamos at some point in the future. I am assuming they are
>>> better for the enviroment too as you generate your own power.
>> I'd never really thought about it from that point of view, but I think
>> you're right.
>
> It must be pretty trivial if you use rechargeables in battery lights - an
> AA rechargable needs what, tuppence of electricity?

I was more thinking of the issues of throwing it away when it's
knackered than the charging it up side of things.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Artemisia
September 6th 07, 06:03 PM
Clive George wrote:

> But they did change in March, which was the relevant one :-)

Aha!

EFR
Ile de France

Simon Brooke
September 8th 07, 06:54 AM
in message >, David Damerell

wrote:
>>>Think I will stick with the Cateye option for now but look at
>>>getting dynamos at some point in the future. I am assuming they are
>>>better for the enviroment too as you generate your own power.
>>I'd never really thought about it from that point of view, but I think
>>you're right.
>
> It must be pretty trivial if you use rechargeables in battery lights - an
> AA rechargable needs what, tuppence of electricity?

All batteries use heavy metals which are not clever things to dispose of
(and we /really/ shouldn't be putting things like ni-cads and nimh into
landfill). And even the best rechargeables don't have that many recharge
cycles in them that that isn't an issue.

Morning had broken, and we had run out of gas for the welding torch.

_[_2_]
September 8th 07, 12:31 PM
On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 06:54:04 +0100, Simon Brooke wrote:

> All batteries use heavy metals which are not clever things to dispose of
> (and we /really/ shouldn't be putting things like ni-cads and nimh into
> landfill). And even the best rechargeables don't have that many recharge
> cycles in them that that isn't an issue.

All?

Chris Eilbeck
September 9th 07, 05:50 PM
_ > writes:

> On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 06:54:04 +0100, Simon Brooke wrote:
>

>> All batteries use heavy metals which are not clever things to dispose of
>> (and we /really/ shouldn't be putting things like ni-cads and nimh into
>> landfill). And even the best rechargeables don't have that many recharge
>> cycles in them that that isn't an issue.
>
> All?

Lithium?

Chris
--