PDA

View Full Version : Talk up your charity ride.

Simon Mason
September 5th 07, 05:01 PM
A local couple ( I know the woman to talk to) are embarking on a charity
bike ride. In *tropical* conditions and on some of the worst roads
imaginable. Where are they going?
Through France and Germany in late September! :-/

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zbeverley.jpg

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

burtthebike
September 5th 07, 05:05 PM
"Simon Mason" > wrote in message
. uk...
>A local couple ( I know the woman to talk to) are embarking on a charity
>bike ride. In *tropical* conditions and on some of the worst roads
>imaginable. Where are they going?
> Through France and Germany in late September! :-/
>
> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zbeverley.jpg

Sounds really tough! Where will they get drinking water from? And what
about the crocodiles?

September 5th 07, 05:17 PM
On Sep 5, 5:01 pm, "Simon Mason" > wrote:
> A local couple ( I know the woman to talk to) are embarking on a charity
> bike ride. In *tropical* conditions and on some of the worst roads
> imaginable. Where are they going?
> Through France and Germany in late September! :-/
>
> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zbeverley.jpg

"we will be travelling [from London to Prague] up to 60 miles per day
in tropical heat and on poor quality roads"

Still hyperbole but not quite as bad as you suggested

best wishes
james

Simon Mason
September 5th 07, 05:33 PM
> wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Sep 5, 5:01 pm, "Simon Mason" > wrote:
>> A local couple ( I know the woman to talk to) are embarking on a charity
>> bike ride. In *tropical* conditions and on some of the worst roads
>> imaginable. Where are they going?
>> Through France and Germany in late September! :-/
>>
>> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zbeverley.jpg
>
> "we will be travelling [from London to Prague] up to 60 miles per day
> in tropical heat and on poor quality roads"
>
> Still hyperbole but not quite as bad as you suggested

Probably the *best* cycling conditions in the world and nice mild weather to
go with it.
A couple of hours before and after lunch should do it!

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Phil Cook
September 5th 07, 05:37 PM
Simon Mason wrote:

> wrote in message
ps.com...

>>> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zbeverley.jpg
>>
>> "we will be travelling [from London to Prague] up to 60 miles per day
>> in tropical heat and on poor quality roads"
>>
>> Still hyperbole but not quite as bad as you suggested
>

>Probably the *best* cycling conditions in the world and nice mild weather to
>go with it.
>A couple of hours before and after lunch should do it!

At least they are paying for their trip themselves so all the
sponsorship goes to the charity.

Brian G
September 5th 07, 05:46 PM
Phil Cook wrote:
> Simon Mason wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>> ps.com...
>>> "we will be travelling [from London to Prague] up to 60 miles per day
>>> in tropical heat and on poor quality roads"
>>>
>>> Still hyperbole but not quite as bad as you suggested
>>
>> Probably the *best* cycling conditions in the world and nice mild weather to
>> go with it.
>> A couple of hours before and after lunch should do it!
>
> At least they are paying for their trip themselves so all the
> sponsorship goes to the charity.

And they're using recycled vests as well ;-)

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

Simon Mason
September 5th 07, 05:54 PM
"Phil Cook" > wrote in message
> Simon Mason wrote:
>

> wrote in message
ps.com...

>>> "we will be travelling [from London to Prague] up to 60 miles per day
>>> in tropical heat and on poor quality roads"
>>>
>>> Still hyperbole but not quite as bad as you suggested
>>

>>Probably the *best* cycling conditions in the world and nice mild weather
>>go with it.
>>A couple of hours before and after lunch should do it!
>
> At least they are paying for their trip themselves so all the
> sponsorship goes to the charity.

I'm not knocking them, just his somewhat over the top description of the
route. :-)

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Ekul Namsob
September 5th 07, 08:23 PM
> wrote:

> On Sep 5, 5:01 pm, "Simon Mason" > wrote:
> > A local couple ( I know the woman to talk to) are embarking on a charity
> > bike ride. In *tropical* conditions and on some of the worst roads
> > imaginable. Where are they going?
> > Through France and Germany in late September! :-/
> >
> > http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zbeverley.jpg
>
> "we will be travelling [from London to Prague] up to 60 miles per day
> in tropical heat and on poor quality roads"
>
> Still hyperbole but not quite as bad as you suggested

I can see how they would find some abysmal roads in Belgium (even the
motorways can be terrible there) but in Germany? Sorry, if they want to
claim tropical heat and poor quality roads then I might recommend Ghana.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

vernon
September 5th 07, 10:12 PM
"burtthebike" > wrote in message
. uk...

> "Simon Mason" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>>A local couple ( I know the woman to talk to) are embarking on a charity
>>bike ride. In *tropical* conditions and on some of the worst roads
>>imaginable. Where are they going?
>> Through France and Germany in late September! :-/
>>
>> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zbeverley.jpg
>
> Sounds really tough! Where will they get drinking water from? And what
> about the crocodiles?

The bears ate the crocodiles.

vernon
September 5th 07, 10:15 PM
"Simon Mason" > wrote in message
. uk...
>A local couple ( I know the woman to talk to) are embarking on a charity
>bike ride. In *tropical* conditions and on some of the worst roads
>imaginable. Where are they going?
> Through France and Germany in late September! :-/
>
> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zbeverley.jpg

They've got the weather wrong - extrapolating from the weather that I
encountered cycling from the Channel to the Med in early to mid August, they
ought to be protecting themselves from frost bite!

burtthebike
September 5th 07, 10:24 PM
"vernon" > wrote in message

> "Simon Mason" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>>A local couple ( I know the woman to talk to) are embarking on a charity
>>bike ride. In *tropical* conditions and on some of the worst roads
>>imaginable. Where are they going?
>> Through France and Germany in late September! :-/
>>
>> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zbeverley.jpg
>>
> They've got the weather wrong - extrapolating from the weather that I
> encountered cycling from the Channel to the Med in early to mid August,
> they ought to be protecting themselves from frost bite!

Nice one - lol

burtthebike
September 5th 07, 10:46 PM
"vernon" > wrote in message

> "burtthebike" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>>
>> "Simon Mason" > wrote in message
>> . uk...
>>>A local couple ( I know the woman to talk to) are embarking on a charity
>>>bike ride. In *tropical* conditions and on some of the worst roads
>>>imaginable. Where are they going?
>>> Through France and Germany in late September! :-/
>>>
>>> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zbeverley.jpg
>>
>> Sounds really tough! Where will they get drinking water from? And what
>> about the crocodiles?
>
> The bears ate the crocodiles.

Aaaaagh. What ate the bears?????!!!!

permajeo[_44_]
September 6th 07, 08:04 AM
The French

--
permajeo

Rob Morley
September 6th 07, 10:04 AM
In article >, Simon
Mason
says...
> A local couple ( I know the woman to talk to) are embarking on a charity
> bike ride. In *tropical* conditions and on some of the worst roads
> imaginable. Where are they going?
> Through France and Germany in late September! :-/
>
> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zbeverley.jpg

So they're going on a cycle touring holiday in silly vests and we're
supposed to believe they do a lot for charity? :-\

vernon
September 6th 07, 05:58 PM
"Simon Mason" > wrote in message
. uk...
>A local couple ( I know the woman to talk to) are embarking on a charity
>bike ride. In *tropical* conditions and on some of the worst roads
>imaginable. Where are they going?
> Through France and Germany in late September! :-/
>
> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zbeverley.jpg

Mystery of the worst roads inamginable solved.....

The text relating to the tropical conditions:

'The bike riding will be hard, up to 60 miles a day in tropical heat on poor
quality roads, but it will be worth it when I ' m able to hand over the
money to people who need it and know what to do with it.'

relates to a ride in Malawi in May 2007 that might or might not have taken
place but features on their Just Giving web site. It looks like the
journalist lifted the text and used it out of context. Their exposure to
the readership of your local comic has hardly boosted their donations,
possibly because their online havesting page relates to an unralted ride and
gives the idea that it's game over. Poor organisation or what?

Simon Mason
September 7th 07, 04:28 PM
"vernon" > wrote in message

> "Simon Mason" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>>A local couple ( I know the woman to talk to) are embarking on a charity
>>bike ride. In *tropical* conditions and on some of the worst roads
>>imaginable. Where are they going?
>> Through France and Germany in late September! :-/
>>
>> http://www.swldxer.co.uk/zbeverley.jpg
>>
> Mystery of the worst roads inamginable solved.....
>
> The text relating to the tropical conditions:
>
> 'The bike riding will be hard, up to 60 miles a day in tropical heat on
> poor quality roads, but it will be worth it when I ' m able to hand over
> the money to people who need it and know what to do with it.'
>
> relates to a ride in Malawi in May 2007 that might or might not have taken
> place but features on their Just Giving web site. It looks like the
> journalist lifted the text and used it out of context. Their exposure to
> the readership of your local comic has hardly boosted their donations,
> possibly because their online havesting page relates to an unralted ride
> and gives the idea that it's game over. Poor organisation or what?

Nice work Vernon!
The poor bloke must be as embarrassed as heck reading that in the paper!
What lazy journalism and sub editing.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net