PDA

View Full Version : [RR] LEJOG Part 1 (aka Land's End > York)

Alistair Gunn
September 6th 07, 09:21 PM
Finally got around to attempting that LEJOG I've been meaning to do for
$PERIOD_OF_TIME. Though so far I've only got as far as York, where I'm
having a couple of days off.

There's been lows :-
* The *incredibly* bad pub I slept in at Tiverton .
* My front tyre splitting between Tiverton and Taunton[1].
* Discovering that the B4455 towards Leicester is actually a pretty high
traffic road.

..... and highs :-
* Two consecutive days of personal best for distance (163km and 238km[2])
* Maintaining high average speeds on the order of ~25kmh for large chunks
of both those days[3].
* Cycling in the dark from north of Worksop to York (via Thorne & Selby)
and hardly seeing any other traffic!

Got into Penzance on the Night Riviera sleeper service from Paddington at
~0800 on Saturday. Spent nights at St Jidgey, Tiverton, Bradford on Avon
and Brinklow, arrived in York 0030 this morning. Need to plan my route
north tomorrow, and maybe it would be worthwhile to actually book my
accomodation in advance rather than making it up as I go (which is my
usual habit!)?

.... oh yes, and my apologies to the Greenpeace Chugger in Stroud. I
hadn't spoken to anyone in about 4 hours, and here was this attractive
and articulate young lady who wanted to talk to me. Okay, it was to talk
to me about joining Greenpeace which I had no intention of doing but I'm
not going to quibble over technicalities! ;-)

[1] And you'd be amazed, or possibly not, about how hard it can been to
find a replacement 20" tyre!
[2] So, that 200km audax shouldn't be too hard when I finally get around
to it! Though anyone who does the 7x200km audax version of a LEJOG
gets my respect for doing 200km through Cornwall!
[3] I'm starting to think a Solidlight might not be an expensive folly
for me afterall!

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home