PDA

View Full Version : Gone in 20 seconds

Tony Raven[_2_]
September 11th 07, 12:09 PM
Toddled down to the finish of the Tour de Bretagne yestedays in
Southampton. Goodly crowd out and about but, unlike the Tour of France,
you could easily get up close to the finish line with a good view. Waited
half an hour with a good live commentary of the approaching race
interspersed with music and then the peleton arrived on the far side of the
park. Then they were round the corner with a big sprint going on for the
line and in less than 20 seconds it was all over bar the stragglers limping
over the line. Hung around another 10 minutes to watch our man don about
ten different jerseys in succession and then off. Top day and very well
done to the organisers for a well planned and executed event.

A few pictures at http://cycling.raven-family.com/Tour%20of%20Britain%
202007/ - I think DSC02094.JPG needs a speech bubble competition.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Graham Harrison[_2_]
September 11th 07, 02:49 PM
"Tony Raven" > wrote in message
> Toddled down to the finish of the Tour de Bretagne yestedays in
> Southampton. Goodly crowd out and about but, unlike the Tour of France,
> you could easily get up close to the finish line with a good view. Waited
> half an hour with a good live commentary of the approaching race
> interspersed with music and then the peleton arrived on the far side of
> the
> park. Then they were round the corner with a big sprint going on for the
> line and in less than 20 seconds it was all over bar the stragglers
> limping
> over the line. Hung around another 10 minutes to watch our man don about
> ten different jerseys in succession and then off. Top day and very well
> done to the organisers for a well planned and executed event.
>
> A few pictures at http://cycling.raven-family.com/Tour%20of%20Britain%
> 202007/ - I think DSC02094.JPG needs a speech bubble competition.
>
> --
> Tony
>
> " I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
> Bertrand Russell

I've just been to Yeovilton and the Sommerton. Yeovilton was completely
open. No checks, nothing. I wandered in, around the car park, got right
up to Mark Cavendish who was being interviewed by the "Mejia" and took a
couple of photos.

Left before the start and got up to the edge of Sommerton where I settled
down, with a small crowd, to wait for the peloton. On my way passed a
junior school where the kids were being (apparently) marshalled on to the
pavement to see the event.

Anyway, there I was, waiting at the junction and motor bikes began to
arrive. One police rider stopped in the middle of the junction and as
another arrived so the previous one moved on to his next appointment. It
got so that so many motore bikes went past I heard someone ask if this was a
bike or a motorbike race. Then we had a car giving a quick round up of the
state of play, more motor bikes (one chucked out a few hats) and finally the
convoy with the peloton etc. Like you say, gone in 20 seconds.

I'm glad I went but I only live 5 miles from Yeovilton so not exactly a big
deal. People seemed to enjoy it. But I have to admit that the "gone in
20 seconds" bit was one reason why I didn't go to Kent for the TDF. Give
me the old Skol 6 day ay Wembley any day.

The Luggage
September 12th 07, 12:30 PM
On 11 Sep, 12:09, Tony Raven > wrote:
> A few pictures athttp://cycling.raven-family.com/Tour%20of%20Britain%
> 202007/ - I think DSC02094.JPG needs a speech bubble competition.

"Do my thighs look big in this?"

TL

PS Did you really upload the photos at 4am?

Martin Dann
September 12th 07, 08:08 PM
The Luggage wrote:
> On 11 Sep, 12:09, Tony Raven > wrote:
>> A few pictures athttp://cycling.raven-family.com/Tour%20of%20Britain%
>> 202007/ - I think DSC02094.JPG needs a speech bubble competition.
>
> "Do my thighs look big in this?"

"How did she beat me dressed like that?"

Tony Raven[_2_]
September 12th 07, 10:35 PM
The Luggage > wrote in
ups.com:

> PS Did you really upload the photos at 4am?

Nope - it will be because the host I use in on the West Coast USA and
that's what midday is here.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home