PDA

View Full Version : ToB Stage 2

cupra
September 11th 07, 07:14 PM
Nice atmosphere at the Dunster sprint and Taunton - my first live cycling
event, enjoyed it a lot!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14662771@N00/sets/72157601959129176/
(new camera, playing with apertures/speeds so not the best pics
unfortunately)

BTW - when you see it on telly, look out for the bloke in an adidas cap
oblivious to the crash as I was shooting the other side of the road - heard
the barriers rattling 5m away and realised what was happening!

Adrian Boliston
September 12th 07, 10:57 AM
" cupra" > wrote in message

> Nice atmosphere at the Dunster sprint and Taunton - my first live cycling
> event, enjoyed it a lot!
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/14662771@N00/sets/72157601959129176/
> (new camera, playing with apertures/speeds so not the best pics
> unfortunately)
>
> BTW - when you see it on telly, look out for the bloke in an adidas cap
> oblivious to the crash as I was shooting the other side of the road -
> heard the barriers rattling 5m away and realised what was happening!

Nice Pictures - I wonder if that fancy paving set into the road could have
contributed to the crash, as I cycle over this bit 4 times per day and it's
lethal when at all wet (thankfully not yesterday!). I was watching from
near my workplace 1.5k from the finish and saw the leading breakaway group
of about 30 riders as they went over the newly resurfaced railway bridge.

cupra
September 12th 07, 11:13 AM
Adrian Boliston wrote:
> " cupra" > wrote in message
>
>> Nice atmosphere at the Dunster sprint and Taunton - my first live
>> cycling event, enjoyed it a lot!
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/14662771@N00/sets/72157601959129176/
>> (new camera, playing with apertures/speeds so not the best pics
>> unfortunately)
>>
>> BTW - when you see it on telly, look out for the bloke in an adidas
>> cap oblivious to the crash as I was shooting the other side of the
>> road - heard the barriers rattling 5m away and realised what was
>> happening!
>
> Nice Pictures - I wonder if that fancy paving set into the road could
> have contributed to the crash, as I cycle over this bit 4 times per
> day and it's lethal when at all wet (thankfully not yesterday!).

Not too sure as I was using a 200mm lens so didn't catch the point at which
the incident started..... will be interesting to see the TV coverage.

> was watching from near my workplace 1.5k from the finish and saw the
> leading breakaway group of about 30 riders as they went over the
> newly resurfaced railway bridge.

I had advance warning of the pack approaching from the other half who was
about 500m further up the road from you!

cupra
September 12th 07, 07:36 PM
Adrian Boliston wrote:
> " cupra" > wrote in message
>
>> Nice atmosphere at the Dunster sprint and Taunton - my first live
>> cycling event, enjoyed it a lot!
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/14662771@N00/sets/72157601959129176/
>> (new camera, playing with apertures/speeds so not the best pics
>> unfortunately)
>>
>> BTW - when you see it on telly, look out for the bloke in an adidas
>> cap oblivious to the crash as I was shooting the other side of the
>> road - heard the barriers rattling 5m away and realised what was
>> happening!
>
> Nice Pictures - I wonder if that fancy paving set into the road could
> have contributed to the crash, as I cycle over this bit 4 times per
> day and it's lethal when at all wet (thankfully not yesterday!).

Apparently it was an equipment failure (forks snapped!) that caused the pile
up.....

Oaf
September 12th 07, 08:31 PM
> Nice atmosphere at the Dunster sprint and Taunton - my first live cycling
> event, enjoyed it a lot!

Mine too - it was brilliant. Excellent weather, lots of post-race team
bike pr0n, lots of people giving away freebies, too! I was at the 1st
sprint at Othery and also at the finish. My pictures are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/caacrinolaas/sets/72157601979664695/

Glad that no-one was seriously hurt as the crash looked v nasty from
where I was standing... (which was 200 yards up the road, though).

Oaf, cycled 45 miles in total yesterday

Oaf
September 12th 07, 08:37 PM
On 12 Sep, 20:31, Oaf > wrote:
> > Nice atmosphere at the Dunster sprint and Taunton - my first live cycling
> > event, enjoyed it a lot!
>
> Mine too - it was brilliant. Excellent weather, lots of post-race team
> bike pr0n, lots of people giving away freebies, too!

Oh... winge-y Email sent to Radio Bristol / Somerset Sound complaining
about their coverage of the event. They seemed to concentrate more on
the disruption to traffic caused by road closures than anything else!

Oaf

cupra
September 13th 07, 08:17 AM
Oaf wrote:
> On 12 Sep, 20:31, Oaf > wrote:
>>> Nice atmosphere at the Dunster sprint and Taunton - my first live
>>> cycling event, enjoyed it a lot!
>>
>> Mine too - it was brilliant. Excellent weather, lots of post-race
>> team bike pr0n, lots of people giving away freebies, too!
>
> Oh... winge-y Email sent to Radio Bristol / Somerset Sound complaining
> about their coverage of the event. They seemed to concentrate more on
> the disruption to traffic caused by road closures than anything else!

Didn't really listen to it - anecdotally, the vehicles waiting at Dunster
seemed to take the delays in good heart.

MJ Ray
September 13th 07, 12:09 PM
" cupra" >
> Nice atmosphere at the Dunster sprint and Taunton - my first live cycling
> event, enjoyed it a lot!
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/14662771@N00/sets/72157601959129176/

Linked from my page of videos at
http://cyclingfans.net/satellite/2007/tour-of-britain-stage-2-taunton

Thanks,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.

MJ Ray
September 13th 07, 12:09 PM
Oaf >
> Oh... winge-y Email sent to Radio Bristol / Somerset Sound complaining
> about their coverage of the event. They seemed to concentrate more on
> the disruption to traffic caused by road closures than anything else!

Yeah, it's a bloody joke. We get better coverage of the Tour of Ireland
(itv4, two stages live, highlights before the first of those) than we do
of the Tour of Britain (BBC2, highlights after the race has finished).
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.

cupra
September 13th 07, 04:49 PM
MJ Ray wrote:
> " cupra" >
>> Nice atmosphere at the Dunster sprint and Taunton - my first live
>> cycling event, enjoyed it a lot!
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/14662771@N00/sets/72157601959129176/
>
> Linked from my page of videos at
> http://cyclingfans.net/satellite/2007/tour-of-britain-stage-2-taunton