PDA

View Full Version : Building Up Stamina on a bike

Sophie
September 16th 07, 09:14 PM
Hello,
I know this might sound a bit of a strange question but could anyone advise
(me) what the best way is of building your stamina up on a bike? I ask
because I got on my bicycle for the first time in a year (having not used it
much in previous yrs) and rode about half a mile before I had to get off to
catch my breath! Okay so I am a little over weight but I want to be able to
use my bicycle as a commuting tool. I am looking at building up to three
miles, which probably isn't much to some of you but it would really make the
difference to me!
Any tips would be gratefully received.
Sophie (NE Lincs)

CoyoteBoy
September 16th 07, 09:30 PM
On 16 Sep, 21:14, "Sophie" > wrote:
> Hello,
> I know this might sound a bit of a strange question but could anyone advise
> (me) what the best way is of building your stamina up on a bike? I ask
> because I got on my bicycle for the first time in a year (having not used it
> much in previous yrs) and rode about half a mile before I had to get off to
> catch my breath! Okay so I am a little over weight but I want to be able to
> use my bicycle as a commuting tool. I am looking at building up to three
> miles, which probably isn't much to some of you but it would really make the
> difference to me!
> Any tips would be gratefully received.
> Sophie (NE Lincs)

For a start - good on you for giving it a go. It really is fun to
commute on a bike most of the time! My commute to work, although
admittedly quite a bit longer, was hard for me to start off with (lack
of bike fitness, I was "generally" fit) - I started off doing just one
way per day. I either left my car at work (didnt like doing that so it
made me progress faster!) or I took public transport. But my long
distances meant that I couldnt really do it slowly, hence having to do
one way. I would suggest that the only way to improve is to start at a
pace you can complete the whole ride at.

Some things to check:
Is your bike correctly fitted to you? 99% of people who find riding
hard are riding with their knees round their ears (seat way too low).
Make sure you have your tyres pumped up to the maximum pressure on the
sidewalls - this makes a *world* of difference on road and lightly
offroad tracks.
When you say catch your breath - are you out of breath or muscularly
tired? When I started I got muscularly tired before I ran out of
breath, with time that has swapped around. If you're out of breath try
a) using a harder gear than seems natural and/or b) go easy on
yourself.

My main tip would be not to get off when youre tired - stopping makes
getting going again harder by far, itmight seem initially easier when
you get back on but you rapidly drop off again. When it starts to
really get you out of breath, back off the pace a bit but make sure
you keep pedaling lightly to keep the blood flowing and systems in go-
mode.

Another thing I found myself doing was trying to maintain speed up
hills, a friend and I actually found we averaged a higher speed if we
eased off on the hills and put that extra effort in on the flats/downs
- no point punishing yourself, well, not until you enjoy it as I find
i do now!

Hope that helps a little, lets see if anyone else agrees with me... :)

Peter Fox[_2_]
September 16th 07, 09:43 PM
Sophie wrote:
> Hello,
> I know this might sound a bit of a strange question but could anyone advise
> (me) what the best way is of building your stamina up on a bike? I ask
> because I got on my bicycle for the first time in a year (having not used it
> much in previous yrs) and rode about half a mile before I had to get off to
> catch my breath! Okay so I am a little over weight but I want to be able to
> use my bicycle as a commuting tool. I am looking at building up to three
> miles, which probably isn't much to some of you but it would really make the
> difference to me!
> Any tips would be gratefully received.
> Sophie (NE Lincs)

Ummm. I am not medically qualified but being incapacitated by being out of breath after
1/2 mile, even for a complete beginner, is exceptional and it strikes me you should tell
the quack of your good intentions and surprise difficulty and ask advice.

The good news is that once you've got the OK from the doc, three miles is easy and thirty
with a rest in the middle will also be in easy reach of any average person. And it will
keep you fit, make you feel better and helps keep your weight down (It's not so much the
exercise, although of course that helps, but the ability to do lots of if - Hey! that's
stamina isn't it!) So good luck. Get yourself good lights and experiment with clothing
for the winter, read Cyclecraft (author John Franklin published by HMSO - worth every
penny) and you'll be joining the hoards who came back to cycling every year to find it
becomes a part of their lifestyle. Believe me, next summer you'll be looking for longer
and longer routes, getting up early to enjoy an hour's ride in the magical calm of the
June mornings before the rest of the world starts making a noise.

--
Peter Fox
Beer, dancing, cycling and lots more at www.eminent.demon.co.uk

September 16th 07, 09:58 PM
>> I know this might sound a bit of a strange question but could anyone advise
>> (me) what the best way is of building your stamina up on a bike?

Well done!

you could do short runs at weekends or evenings;

Rest frequently;

Allow more time and stop at a cafe on the way;

Borrow a folder and divert to bus, train or tram to take the strain.

commute by bike alternate days - leave the bike at work overnight?

Above all, enjoy it!
--
Charles
Brompton P-type T6 in Motspur Park

Tony Raven[_2_]
September 16th 07, 10:19 PM
In article >,
says...
> Hello,
> I know this might sound a bit of a strange question but could anyone advise
> (me) what the best way is of building your stamina up on a bike? I ask
> because I got on my bicycle for the first time in a year (having not used it
> much in previous yrs) and rode about half a mile before I had to get off to
> catch my breath! Okay so I am a little over weight but I want to be able to
> use my bicycle as a commuting tool. I am looking at building up to three
> miles, which probably isn't much to some of you but it would really make the
> difference to me!
> Any tips would be gratefully received.
> Sophie (NE Lincs)

Well done for getting back out. Don't rush it or try to overdo it. If
half a mile is what you are comfortable with for now find a route you
can ride out for half a mile, take a pause to catch your breath and ride
back. It shouldn't take too long. Next time out set yourself a target
a 100yds or so further than last time, or further if you feel up to it.
Gradually increase your distance this way until you get to about 2 miles
when you will be ready to try for the whole 3 mile commute to work. If
you try too hard to begin with you will only put yourself off so take it
steady and gently and in no time you will be wondering what all the fuss
was about.

Good luck and most of all make sure it stays enjoyable.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Simon Brooke
September 16th 07, 10:21 PM
in message >, Sophie
') wrote:

> Hello,
> I know this might sound a bit of a strange question but could anyone
> advise
> (me) what the best way is of building your stamina up on a bike? I ask
> because I got on my bicycle for the first time in a year (having not used
> it much in previous yrs) and rode about half a mile before I had to get
> off to
> catch my breath! Okay so I am a little over weight but I want to be able
> use my bicycle as a commuting tool. I am looking at building up to three
> miles, which probably isn't much to some of you but it would really make
> the difference to me!
> Any tips would be gratefully received.
> Sophie (NE Lincs)

Just do it. A little more every day. Make sure you have suitable clothes so
that you can cycle a little bit every day whatever the weather. Also, make
sure your seat is high enough and that your tyres are hard enough - a low
seat and soft tyres make cycling /much/ harder work.

Age equals angst multiplied by the speed of fright squared.
;; the Worlock

MJP
September 16th 07, 10:26 PM
"Sophie" > wrote in message
> Hello,
> I know this might sound a bit of a strange question but could anyone
> advise (me) what the best way is of building your stamina up on a bike? I
> ask because I got on my bicycle for the first time in a year (having not
> used it much in previous yrs) and rode about half a mile before I had to
> get off to catch my breath! Okay so I am a little over weight but I want
> to be able to use my bicycle as a commuting tool. I am looking at
> building up to three miles, which probably isn't much to some of you but
> it would really make the difference to me!
> Any tips would be gratefully received.
> Sophie (NE Lincs)

Sophie,

As others have said, build up to it by doing a little and often. Having
started cycling again last year after a layoff of approx. 40 years I found
at first that it was tiredness in my legs as opposed to breathlessness.

My commute to work is just about four miles on the flat and to start with I
tried it once or twice a week and gradually built up to cycling every day.
Today seeing the sunshine is still with us I did a round trip of 20 miles
for pleasure something that I could not have even contemplated of doing this
time last year.

So the moral is stick with it and the stamina will come.

MJP

Tom
September 16th 07, 10:41 PM
Sophie > wrote:
> Hello,
> I know this might sound a bit of a strange question but could anyone
> advise (me) what the best way is of building your stamina up on a
> bike? I ask because I got on my bicycle for the first time in a year
> (having not used it much in previous yrs) and rode about half a mile
> before I had to get off to catch my breath! Okay so I am a little
> over weight but I want to be able to use my bicycle as a commuting
> tool. I am looking at building up to three miles, which probably
> isn't much to some of you but it would really make the difference to
> me! Any tips would be gratefully received.

You are trying too hard. Fit a cheap speedometer and use it to keep your
speed down to about 10mph or even 8mph until you find your cycling legs. You
can keep going for hours at 8mph.

Tom
--
Return address is dead. Real address is at
http://www.happy-penguin.info/address.jpg

Pete Biggs
September 16th 07, 10:51 PM
Peter Fox wrote:

> Ummm. I am not medically qualified but being incapacitated by being
> out of breath after 1/2 mile, even for a complete beginner, is
> exceptional and it strikes me you should tell the quack of your good
> intentions and surprise difficulty and ask advice.

Nonsense. Anyone can be out of breath after half a mile if they cycle
harder than what they're used to. You, Peter, like everyone else, would be
out of breath after 200 yards if you rode as fast as possible, for example.

My advice, Sophie, is to keep on going out on the bike -- at least several
times a week, but take at least one rest day off per week.

Ride only as far as you feel like, but most of the time push /slightly/
harder than what would be easy. It's a subtle thing, so all the time
concentrate closely on what you're feeling like and change gear whenever it
would help.

Speed is not important, so don't worry about going very slowly if that's all
you can manage. As long as you're putting /some/ effort it, you'll be doing
yourself lots of good, and fitness and stamina will definitely improve,
naturally.

~PB

vernon
September 16th 07, 11:32 PM
"Peter Fox" > wrote in message

> Ummm. I am not medically qualified but being incapacitated by being out
> of breath after 1/2 mile, even for a complete beginner, is exceptional and
> it strikes me you should tell the quack of your good intentions and
> surprise difficulty and ask advice.

The half mile climb from my house would make any returnee to cycling stop
for a breather. I took the hill on for the first time over four years ago
and the effort required seemed to be excessive. I'm still here and so is
the hill only now it's only a minor impediment to forwards progress and no
longer seems like a mountain.

An out of condition cardio-vascular system will lead to a rider stopping for
some serious catch up time i.e. to get one's breath back and to allow one's
pulse to uncouple itself from a continuous high frequency 'buzz'

Three miles at the beginning is n't necessarily easy. It took me 2-3 weeks
to get used to a 2.5 mile circuit and only towards the end could I get round
without a breather. Patience is the name of the game. Look at creating a
few local short distance circuits as circular as possible with built in
shortcuts home.

> The good news is that once you've got the OK from the doc, three miles is
> easy and thirty with a rest in the middle will also be in easy reach of
> any average person. And it will keep you fit, make you feel better and
> helps keep your weight down (It's not so much the exercise, although of
> course that helps, but the ability to do lots of if - Hey! that's stamina
> isn't it!)

Weight loss might happen but only if your increase in exercise is
accompanied by a drop in calories taken in or a static calorie intake. I
happily get round 200km Audaxes weighing 21 stones and have done several
coast to coast cycle camping toures as well as cycling to the Med and from
Land's End to John O'Groats and on a seperate trip back again.

Within five months of taking up cycling again I did a coast to coast
crossing camping along the way. It wasn't a fairy tale regaining of
fitness, there were several extended 'getting off to push' sessions on the
ride. It was a great feeling though when I got to Sunderland.

Don't worry too much about being out of breath - it's natural. If your bike
has got gears use a low gear and 'twiddle' along quite slowly - excessive
effort leads to excessive pulse rates and excessive sweat. Be gentle with
yourself and you'll steadily gain strength and stamina.

Keep at it!

a l l y
September 17th 07, 11:25 AM
I've recently done something similar, Sophie, and I'm still in the process
of building up the stamina, so I know where you're coming from.

I used to use my bike fairly often when we lived in a city, but since moving
to a rural area the poor old thing's been languishing in the barn most of
the time.

I live in a village about 3 miles from the nearest town, and since we run a
small business that does mail order I have to nip into town quite frequently
either to go to the bank, or to take parcels to the Post Office. It's
downhill into town, and mostly uphill (with some flat bits) on the way back,
so my first trip on the bike was easy *going* but murder coming home!
Struggling up that first hill the first time elicited honks and shouts from
car drivers who didn't have any patience.

I've kept at it, though, and now, after just a few months, look forward to a
trip in to the post office with pacels strapped on with bungee cords. I've
discovered that in rural areas it's perfectly acceptable and a lot safer to
cycle on the footpath (if there is one) so it doesn't matter how slowly you
go uphill.

When I have time I go a bit further, just for fun, though the longest trip
I've done so far is 11 miles. I think I could go a lot further, but that 11
miles took the best part of 2 hours (well, I did stop a lot to take
photos...) so it's hard to find the time.

Like you I'm slightly overweight, and I seem to have lost about 6 pounds
since I started cycling, which is a very pleasant side-effect as my reasons
for getting the bike out had more to do with getting fit, saving money on
petrol and being kind to the environment than about weight loss.

So, it takes time, but stick at it. To begin with I'd only use the bike
every second day, to allow the aching leg muscles time to sort themselves
out, but now I can go every day if I've got time.

Someone in town spotted me on my bike the other day and asked if I'd like to
take part in a charity bike ride next spring.... something like 180 miles!
<gulp!> They do it over 3 days, but could I get fit enough to do 60 miles
per day by next May? I don't know, but it's an incentive, isn't it? Might
just keep me cycling over the wet and windy winter days...

ally

Barb
September 17th 07, 03:15 PM
Loads of good advice here ... I did something similar last year, with my
commute about 2.5 miles in town and, fortunately, fairly flat. I just "went
out" and "tootled around" on the bike for a couple of weeks, most days,
gradually increasing the distance. Don't worry about speed at this stage

After a while, I had a nice Sunday, felt energetic and did a trial run. I
was surprised to find that I only had a very short rest before venturing
home again.

Now I go into town several times a week, since I've retired, leaving the car
in the garage. Free parking, no petrol, and I feel loads better.

You'll gradually find your recover time after the ride gets better, and your
speed and distance will gradually increase.

Go for it!

Incidentally, I'm now 59 and a size 18/20 !! I haven't lost much weight but
I have nice firm legs !!!!

Barb

"a l l y" > wrote in message
> I've recently done something similar, Sophie, and I'm still in the process
> of building up the stamina, so I know where you're coming from.
>
> I used to use my bike fairly often when we lived in a city, but since
> moving to a rural area the poor old thing's been languishing in the barn
> most of the time.
>
> I live in a village about 3 miles from the nearest town, and since we run
> a small business that does mail order I have to nip into town quite
> frequently either to go to the bank, or to take parcels to the Post
> Office. It's downhill into town, and mostly uphill (with some flat bits)
> on the way back, so my first trip on the bike was easy *going* but murder
> coming home! Struggling up that first hill the first time elicited honks
> and shouts from car drivers who didn't have any patience.
>
> I've kept at it, though, and now, after just a few months, look forward to
> a trip in to the post office with pacels strapped on with bungee cords.
> I've discovered that in rural areas it's perfectly acceptable and a lot
> safer to cycle on the footpath (if there is one) so it doesn't matter how
> slowly you go uphill.
>
> When I have time I go a bit further, just for fun, though the longest trip
> I've done so far is 11 miles. I think I could go a lot further, but that
> 11 miles took the best part of 2 hours (well, I did stop a lot to take
> photos...) so it's hard to find the time.
>
> Like you I'm slightly overweight, and I seem to have lost about 6 pounds
> since I started cycling, which is a very pleasant side-effect as my
> reasons for getting the bike out had more to do with getting fit, saving
> money on petrol and being kind to the environment than about weight loss.
>
> So, it takes time, but stick at it. To begin with I'd only use the bike
> every second day, to allow the aching leg muscles time to sort themselves
> out, but now I can go every day if I've got time.
>
> Someone in town spotted me on my bike the other day and asked if I'd like
> to take part in a charity bike ride next spring.... something like 180
> miles! <gulp!> They do it over 3 days, but could I get fit enough to do 60
> miles per day by next May? I don't know, but it's an incentive, isn't it?
> Might just keep me cycling over the wet and windy winter days...
>
> ally

Sophie
September 17th 07, 04:56 PM
Thank you all very much for the advice - some great tips here and I shall
use them!
I'm off on the bike again now...
Sophie
"Barb" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> Like you I'm slightly overweight, and I seem to have lost about 6 pounds
>> since I started cycling, which is a very pleasant side-effect as my
>> reasons for getting the bike out had more to do with getting fit, saving
>> money on petrol and being kind to the environment than about weight loss.
>>
>> So, it takes time, but stick at it. To begin with I'd only use the bike
>> every second day, to allow the aching leg muscles time to sort themselves
>> out, but now I can go every day if I've got time.
>>
>> Someone in town spotted me on my bike the other day and asked if I'd like
>> to take part in a charity bike ride next spring.... something like 180
>> miles! <gulp!> They do it over 3 days, but could I get fit enough to do
>> 60 miles per day by next May? I don't know, but it's an incentive, isn't
>> it? Might just keep me cycling over the wet and windy winter days...

Barb
September 18th 07, 11:28 AM
Oh ... and I forgot to mention ..... when I get to a long, steep bit, I just
get off and walk, which is a lot easier and less sweaty than trying to bike
up a hill when you're not superfit.

(Then you can coast down the other side :-) ))

Barb

"Sophie" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>>
>>> Like you I'm slightly overweight, and I seem to have lost about 6 pounds
>>> since I started cycling, which is a very pleasant side-effect as my
>>> reasons for getting the bike out had more to do with getting fit, saving
>>> money on petrol and being kind to the environment than about weight
>>> loss.
>>>
>>> So, it takes time, but stick at it. To begin with I'd only use the bike
>>> every second day, to allow the aching leg muscles time to sort
>>> themselves out, but now I can go every day if I've got time.
>>>
>>> Someone in town spotted me on my bike the other day and asked if I'd
>>> like to take part in a charity bike ride next spring.... something like
>>> 180 miles! <gulp!> They do it over 3 days, but could I get fit enough to
>>> do 60 miles per day by next May? I don't know, but it's an incentive,
>>> isn't it? Might just keep me cycling over the wet and windy winter

Rob Morley
September 18th 07, 12:34 PM
In article >, Barb
says...
> Oh ... and I forgot to mention ..... when I get to a long, steep bit, I just
> get off and walk, which is a lot easier and less sweaty than trying to bike
> up a hill when you're not superfit.

If you have sufficiently low gears and pace yourself properly you can
get up most hills without super fitness or a cardiac event.

seani
September 18th 07, 12:54 PM
On Sep 16, 9:14 pm, "Sophie" > wrote:
> Hello,
> I know this might sound a bit of a strange question but could anyone advise
> (me) what the best way is of building your stamina up on a bike? I ask
> because I got on my bicycle for the first time in a year (having not used it
> much in previous yrs) and rode about half a mile before I had to get off to
> catch my breath! Okay so I am a little over weight but I want to be able to
> use my bicycle as a commuting tool. I am looking at building up to three
> miles, which probably isn't much to some of you but it would really make the
> difference to me!
> Any tips would be gratefully received.
> Sophie (NE Lincs)

Nothing to add except keep at it - just starting gets you half way
there.

I'm firmly of the opinion that exercise *should* be uncomfortable for
at least a proportion of the time, but the good news is that the
effort you need to expend to become uncomfortable will increase, and
your recovery time will plummet, especially during the first few weeks/
months.

You do the right thing to push yourself a bit now, when the "penalty"
for taking longer isn't being late for work. A few weeks of practice
and you'll breeze three miles.

Martin Dann
September 18th 07, 04:09 PM
Rob Morley wrote:
> In article >, Barb
> says...
>> Oh ... and I forgot to mention ..... when I get to a long, steep bit, I just
>> get off and walk, which is a lot easier and less sweaty than trying to bike
>> up a hill when you're not superfit.
>>
> If you have sufficiently low gears and pace yourself properly you can
> get up most hills without super fitness or a cardiac event.

Hill climbing is a good place to build up stamina and
muscles.

If you have a nice steep hill that you regularly go up,
and you normally get off and walk. Then try cycling up a
short distance, then walk. Every time you go up that hill
try and go a bit further. After a few weeks you will
eventually make it to the top without walking, and it will
be a wonderful feeling.

Martin.

Pete Biggs
September 18th 07, 04:34 PM
Barb wrote:
> Oh ... and I forgot to mention ..... when I get to a long, steep bit,
> I just get off and walk, which is a lot easier and less sweaty than
> trying to bike up a hill when you're not superfit.

We were discussing this subject in another thread recently. The consensus
seems to be that it's usually easier to cycle up a hill than walk the bike
as long as you have a low enough gear. But of course you should do whatever
you like.

~PB

vernon
September 18th 07, 07:07 PM
"a l l y" > wrote in message
> Someone in town spotted me on my bike the other day and asked if I'd like
> to take part in a charity bike ride next spring.... something like 180
> miles! <gulp!> They do it over 3 days, but could I get fit enough to do 60
> miles per day by next May? I don't know, but it's an incentive, isn't it?
> Might just keep me cycling over the wet and windy winter days...

It's perfectly possible. I was transformed from someone who stuggled to
walk to the post office and back after a post viral mystery ailment - a
distance of less than 1/2 mile to a coast to coast cycle camper = 130 miles
in 2.5 days over a five month spell. I've never looked back. I'm still
porky but about three stones lighter at 21 stones still can't resist
pies........

a l l y
September 18th 07, 10:01 PM
"Barb" > wrote in message
> Oh ... and I forgot to mention ..... when I get to a long, steep bit, I
> just get off and walk, which is a lot easier and less sweaty than trying
> to bike up a hill when you're not superfit.

I'm delighted to be able to say I don't need to do that any more! It's such
a good feeling to get to the top of a hill under your own steam. There's
only one hill around here that I wouldn't attempt on 2 wheels - it's so
steep it's even hard work walking up it.

ally

a l l y
September 18th 07, 10:02 PM
"Pete Biggs" > wrote in
message ...
> Barb wrote:
>> Oh ... and I forgot to mention ..... when I get to a long, steep bit,
>> I just get off and walk, which is a lot easier and less sweaty than
>> trying to bike up a hill when you're not superfit.
>
> We were discussing this subject in another thread recently. The consensus
> seems to be that it's usually easier to cycle up a hill than walk the bike
> as long as you have a low enough gear.

Really? That's interesting. I think I need to do some experiments here....

ally

a l l y
September 18th 07, 10:06 PM
"vernon" > wrote in message

> "a l l y" > wrote in message
>> Someone in town spotted me on my bike the other day and asked if I'd like
>> to take part in a charity bike ride next spring.... something like 180
>> miles! <gulp!> They do it over 3 days, but could I get fit enough to do
>> 60 miles per day by next May? I don't know, but it's an incentive, isn't
>> it? Might just keep me cycling over the wet and windy winter days...
>>
> It's perfectly possible. I was transformed from someone who stuggled to
> walk to the post office and back after a post viral mystery ailment - a
> distance of less than 1/2 mile to a coast to coast cycle camper = 130
> miles in 2.5 days over a five month spell. I've never looked back. I'm
> still porky but about three stones lighter at 21 stones still can't resist
> pies........
Well gosh if you can do it at nearly twice my weight, surely I can! What a
role model! You sound like the sort of person who proves my theory that you
don't have to be slim to be fit. (...though it probably helps, right
enough!)

ally

Tony Raven[_2_]
September 18th 07, 10:28 PM
In article >,
says...

> Well gosh if you can do it at nearly twice my weight, surely I can! What a
> role model! You sound like the sort of person who proves my theory that you
> don't have to be slim to be fit. (...though it probably helps, right
> enough!)

Sumo wrestlers are a prime example that you can be extremely fit and not
slim.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Mark Blewett
September 18th 07, 11:28 PM
Sophie wrote:
> Hello,
> I know this might sound a bit of a strange question but could anyone advise
> (me) what the best way is of building your stamina up on a bike? I ask
> because I got on my bicycle for the first time in a year (having not used it
> much in previous yrs) and rode about half a mile before I had to get off to
> catch my breath! Okay so I am a little over weight but I want to be able to
> use my bicycle as a commuting tool. I am looking at building up to three
> miles, which probably isn't much to some of you but it would really make the
> difference to me!
> Any tips would be gratefully received.
> Sophie (NE Lincs)

Congratulations on getting back on the bike!

Some good tips given, when I started a just over a couple of years ago
after no exercise since I left school some *mumble* years ago, I found that;

+ Don't push too hard too quickly, take it easy and most of all enjoy
it. If you enjoy it, soon you'll be finding excuses to go out for a
quick cycle.. whether its down to a bit of shopping, or its a nice day
and the prospect going for a potter on the bike is better than doing the
chores.

+ Ride a little often, rather than a lot occasionally.

+ If you can't cycle up a hill, get as far as you can comfortably, then
push a bit more and walk the rest. Next time, aim for a bit further up
if you can.. eventually you'll get to the top with a big smile and the
urge to tell lots of people!

+ Use the right gear. Most beginners use a too higher gear and need to
stamp on the pedals. Cycle along the flat, and change through the
gears... fine which feels the best, you shouldn't need to apply much
pressure to the pedals, and the cadence (speed the pedals go round)
should feel natural and sustainable.

+ Make sure your bike is set up and maintained correctly. Try adjusting
the seat height upwards.. see what affect it has on how easy/hard it is
to cycle. Also is the bike quiet when you ride... if it isn't quiet then
some of the energy you are putting into riding to making that sound. Get
rid of the sound and it will be easier to cycle. And make sure the tyres
are pumped up to the correct pressure too!

+ Don't be afraid of stopping for a break or walking up a hill, we all
do it. Sometimes it's in the pretence of stopping for tea and cake,
taking a photo of the view, or looking at the map... just we don't all
admit to it.

+ Some days riding is easy, the next day it can be a struggle.. that's
life :o(

Hope that's some help, and as I said I only started cycling just over 2
years ago after a long time of no exercise. A few weeks ago I did my
first 100 mile ride and in a week or so, I'll have past the 10,000km
mark since I started cycling.. If I can do it, almost anyone else can!

Good luck
Mark

Steph Peters
September 19th 07, 12:30 AM
"Sophie" > of NTL wrote:
>I know this might sound a bit of a strange question but could anyone advise
>(me) what the best way is of building your stamina up on a bike? I ask
>because I got on my bicycle for the first time in a year (having not used it
>much in previous yrs) and rode about half a mile before I had to get off to
>catch my breath! Okay so I am a little over weight but I want to be able to
>use my bicycle as a commuting tool. I am looking at building up to three
>miles, which probably isn't much to some of you but it would really make the
>difference to me!

Check your bike over. Especially pump up the tyres to the maximum
recommended pressure. Having hard tyres makes an enormous difference to how
fast you can go/how hard it feels.
Make sure you get into a low gear so that you can turn the pedals quickly.
This is better for your knees than pushing hard and slowly in a higher gear,
and it is easier too.
I remember the first time I went out on my bike after about 10 years off.
After a mile I had to get off and walk home, not to catch my breath but
because the saddle was killing my bum. But my bum soon hardened up and
getting to 5 miles at a time only took a couple of weeks. And I bought a
more me shaped saddle.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group

Anthony Campbell
September 19th 07, 09:11 AM
On 2007-09-18, Tony Raven > wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> Well gosh if you can do it at nearly twice my weight, surely I can! What a
>> role model! You sound like the sort of person who proves my theory that you
>> don't have to be slim to be fit. (...though it probably helps, right
>> enough!)
>>

> Sumo wrestlers are a prime example that you can be extremely fit and not
> slim.

I doubt if they really do have cardiovascular fitness. The bouts don't
seem to last longer than a minute or so, so fitness in that sense would
be irrelevant. Strength is one thing, cardiovascular fitness another. I
think I've read somewhere that these wrestlers usually die young.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell -
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian

Marc
September 19th 07, 09:25 AM
Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 2007-09-18, Tony Raven > wrote:
>> In article >,
>> says...
>>> Well gosh if you can do it at nearly twice my weight, surely I can! What a
>>> role model! You sound like the sort of person who proves my theory that you
>>> don't have to be slim to be fit. (...though it probably helps, right
>>> enough!)
>>>
>> Sumo wrestlers are a prime example that you can be extremely fit and not
>> slim.
>>

> I doubt if they really do have cardiovascular fitness. The bouts don't
> seem to last longer than a minute or so, so fitness in that sense would
> be irrelevant. Strength is one thing, cardiovascular fitness another. I
> think I've read somewhere that these wrestlers usually die young.

"The negative effects of the sumo lifestyle become dangerously apparent
later in life. Sumo wrestlers have a life expectancy of between 60 and
65, more than 10 years shorter than the average Japanese male. They
often develop diabetes and high blood pressure, and are prone to heart
attacks. The excessive intake of alcohol leads to liver problems and the
stress on their joints causes arthritis."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumo

Tony Raven[_2_]
September 19th 07, 11:26 AM
In article >,
says...

> I doubt if they really do have cardiovascular fitness. The bouts don't
> seem to last longer than a minute or so, so fitness in that sense would
> be irrelevant. Strength is one thing, cardiovascular fitness another. I
> think I've read somewhere that these wrestlers usually die young.

So you reckon professional 400m runners don't have cardiovascular
fitness either. After all they only run for less than a minute. And as
for Linford Christie, well, I ask you, 10 seconds is all he runs for.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Tony Raven[_2_]
September 19th 07, 11:35 AM
In article >,
says...

> "The negative effects of the sumo lifestyle become dangerously apparent
> later in life. Sumo wrestlers have a life expectancy of between 60 and
> 65, more than 10 years shorter than the average Japanese male. They
> often develop diabetes and high blood pressure, and are prone to heart
> attacks. The excessive intake of alcohol leads to liver problems and the
> stress on their joints causes arthritis."
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumo

Many retired sportsmen have health problems in later life due to lack of
exercise after they retire. But that does not detract from the fact
that during their professional careers sumo wrestlers are supremely fit
professional sportsmen. Professional sumo wrestlers work out for four
or five hours a day, six or seven days a week. They have normal levels
of heart disease and rarely develop Type II diabetes. Their problems
lie with continuing their professional career diet but without the
associated exercise after they retire.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Rob Morley
September 19th 07, 12:02 PM
In article >, Anthony
Campbell
says...

> I doubt if they really do have cardiovascular fitness. The bouts don't
> seem to last longer than a minute or so, so fitness in that sense would
> be irrelevant. Strength is one thing, cardiovascular fitness another. I
> think I've read somewhere that these wrestlers usually die young.

Don't professional cyclists also have a tendency to drop dead
prematurely?

a l l y
September 19th 07, 02:55 PM
"Roger Burton West" > wrote in message
. ..
>a l l y wrote:
>
>>I'm delighted to be able to say I don't need to do that any more! It's
>>such
>>a good feeling to get to the top of a hill under your own steam. There's
>>only one hill around here that I wouldn't attempt on 2 wheels - it's so
>>steep it's even hard work walking up it.
>
> I saw people riding up Highgate Hill yesterday - though, to be fair, not
> very fast. I was the one pushing the bike (with trailer).

I'd guess from that, that Highgate Hill is a very steep hill. (Never been
there... is it in London?) A trailer must make a bike somewhat harder to get
up steep hills. I grew up in Edinburgh which is full of steep hills, and I
used to take great pride in managing to get up them without stopping. Not
sure if I could manage some of them at the moment, but on my next trip home
I may just chuck the bike in the back of the car and have a go.

ally

Nick[_3_]
September 19th 07, 08:53 PM
Sophie wrote:
> Hello,
> I know this might sound a bit of a strange question but could anyone advise
> (me) what the best way is of building your stamina up on a bike? I ask
> because I got on my bicycle for the first time in a year (having not used it
> much in previous yrs) and rode about half a mile before I had to get off to
> catch my breath! Okay so I am a little over weight but I want to be able to
> use my bicycle as a commuting tool. I am looking at building up to three
> miles, which probably isn't much to some of you but it would really make the
> difference to me!
> Any tips would be gratefully received.
> Sophie (NE Lincs)

I'm fit and I always find the first half mile hard, I have done ever
since I was a teenager. It just takes a bit of time to warm up.

The thing that normally limits how far you can ride at first is being
saddle sore.

CoyoteBoy
September 20th 07, 11:01 AM
On 18 Sep, 11:28, "Barb" > wrote:
> Oh ... and I forgot to mention ..... when I get to a long, steep bit, I just
> get off and walk, which is a lot easier and less sweaty than trying to bike
> up a hill when you're not superfit.
>
> (Then you can coast down the other side :-) ))
>
> Barb

Barb, with all due respect and not intending to sounds like a smart
arse or anything but you mentioned that you hadnt lost much weight
while cycling, i would suspect that its possibly due to the fact that
you get off and walk when it gets tough. Cycling along on the flat is
incredibly easy and doesnt burn much in the way of calories per mile
unless you're pushing hard. According to my (notoriously inaccurate)
calorie-counting heart rate monitor I can "tootle" along for 10 miles,
10-12mph, on about the same calories as a mars bar (I weigh 210lbs),
but if I up the speed to 15-18mph and get sweaty 10 miles eats up
6-700 calories.

Barb
September 20th 07, 11:22 AM
Very good point, CoyoteB, and I entirely agree.

This was a recommendation to someone just starting, who probably hasn't had
much
exercise for a while and should do things on a "learning curve" sort of
basis? For example, I am 59 years old and have a very small heart valve
problem, so I have to be at least a little bit careful.

I have found, as have the others, that my stamina and recovery time have
increased dramatically over the last year. I do most of the hills, unless
they are particularly long and arduous, and try to go faster and work harder
where possible. I used to get really knackered for a while, when I started,
but now I often don't even need to sit down for a bit when I get in after a
ride into town!

So, I'm *much* fitter generally, I'm obviously burning energy - because I'm
often hot/sweaty and minus a couple of layers by the time I get back - but
my weight has still stuck!

I think it's because I'm not a Spring Chicken....and it's doing my heart,
lungs and legs loads of good! And I feel physically strong. I'm not
actually "obese", who who cares? I probably need to do 20 mile rides to see
a difference, which is not really viable for me.

Barb

"CoyoteBoy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 18 Sep, 11:28, "Barb" > wrote:
>> Oh ... and I forgot to mention ..... when I get to a long, steep bit, I
>> just
>> get off and walk, which is a lot easier and less sweaty than trying to
>> bike
>> up a hill when you're not superfit.
>>
>> (Then you can coast down the other side :-) ))
>>
>> Barb
>
> Barb, with all due respect and not intending to sounds like a smart
> arse or anything but you mentioned that you hadnt lost much weight
> while cycling, i would suspect that its possibly due to the fact that
> you get off and walk when it gets tough. Cycling along on the flat is
> incredibly easy and doesnt burn much in the way of calories per mile
> unless you're pushing hard. According to my (notoriously inaccurate)
> calorie-counting heart rate monitor I can "tootle" along for 10 miles,
> 10-12mph, on about the same calories as a mars bar (I weigh 210lbs),
> but if I up the speed to 15-18mph and get sweaty 10 miles eats up
> 6-700 calories.

Barb
September 20th 07, 11:23 AM
Yep, but it's amazing how your bum gets the message after a few days!

Barb

"Nick" > wrote in message
> Sophie wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I know this might sound a bit of a strange question but could anyone
>> advise (me) what the best way is of building your stamina up on a bike?
>> I ask because I got on my bicycle for the first time in a year (having
>> not used it much in previous yrs) and rode about half a mile before I had
>> to get off to catch my breath! Okay so I am a little over weight but I
>> want to be able to use my bicycle as a commuting tool. I am looking at
>> building up to three miles, which probably isn't much to some of you but
>> it would really make the difference to me!
>> Any tips would be gratefully received.
>> Sophie (NE Lincs)
> I'm fit and I always find the first half mile hard, I have done ever since
> I was a teenager. It just takes a bit of time to warm up.
>
> The thing that normally limits how far you can ride at first is being
> saddle sore.

Rob Morley
September 20th 07, 12:04 PM
In article om>,
CoyoteBoy
says...

> Barb, with all due respect and not intending to sounds like a smart
> arse or anything but you mentioned that you hadnt lost much weight
> while cycling, i would suspect that its possibly due to the fact that
> you get off and walk when it gets tough.

It could also be due to increased muscle mass - muscle is denser than
fat, so you can get into smaller clothes without weighing less.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home