PDA

View Full Version : Racing Bike Question

Ed_Zep
September 18th 07, 11:35 PM
I've acquired an old racing bike. It's got a a very thin 16c wheel on
the front and the tyre that's on it and needs replacing is an 18c.

I know nothing about old racers and I can't seem to find an 18c tyre,
the smallest Wiggle has as far as I can see is 20c.

Can anyone advise? Will a 20c fit a 16c wheel?

Sorry if this is a dumb question!

Also, the tyre for the back wheel says for mounting on hooked rims
only. Are they different from the norm?

Clive George
September 19th 07, 12:47 AM
"Ed_Zep" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've acquired an old racing bike. It's got a a very thin 16c wheel on
> the front and the tyre that's on it and needs replacing is an 18c.
>
> I know nothing about old racers and I can't seem to find an 18c tyre,
> the smallest Wiggle has as far as I can see is 20c.
>
> Can anyone advise? Will a 20c fit a 16c wheel?

20c will fit, as will fatter stuff (25?). The limiting factor may be the
brake clearance.

> Also, the tyre for the back wheel says for mounting on hooked rims
> only. Are they different from the norm?

No, they're the norm these days.

cheers,
clive

Duncan Smith
September 19th 07, 07:54 AM
On Sep 18, 11:35 pm, Ed_Zep > wrote:
> I've acquired an old racing bike. It's got a a very thin 16c wheel on
> the front and the tyre that's on it and needs replacing is an 18c.
>
> I know nothing about old racers and I can't seem to find an 18c tyre,
> the smallest Wiggle has as far as I can see is 20c.
>
> Can anyone advise? Will a 20c fit a 16c wheel?
>
> Sorry if this is a dumb question!
>
> Also, the tyre for the back wheel says for mounting on hooked rims
> only. Are they different from the norm?

Go for a 700x23C, its rolling resistance will be comparable but the
ride wont be so harsh and you'll be less prone to pinch punctures.

Regards,

Duncan

Brian G
September 19th 07, 08:13 AM
Ed_Zep wrote:
> I've acquired an old racing bike. It's got a a very thin 16c wheel on
> the front and the tyre that's on it and needs replacing is an 18c.
>
> I know nothing about old racers and I can't seem to find an 18c tyre,
> the smallest Wiggle has as far as I can see is 20c.
>
> Can anyone advise? Will a 20c fit a 16c wheel?

http://sheldonbrown.com/tyre-sizing.html Sheldon has a table here
which confirms that you can go wider than you might think.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

Ed_Zep
September 19th 07, 08:41 AM
On Sep 18, 11:35 pm, Ed_Zep > wrote:
> I've acquired an old racing bike. It's got a a very thin 16c wheel on
> the front and the tyre that's on it and needs replacing is an 18c.
>
> I know nothing about old racers and I can't seem to find an 18c tyre,
> the smallest Wiggle has as far as I can see is 20c.
>
> Can anyone advise? Will a 20c fit a 16c wheel?
>
> Sorry if this is a dumb question!
>
> Also, the tyre for the back wheel says for mounting on hooked rims
> only. Are they different from the norm?

Thanks everyone. That's saved me time and money.

I'd already bought a couple of Vittoria Rubino 23s and from what you
say I should be alright with those.

Ed.

Pete Biggs
September 19th 07, 01:03 PM
mb wrote:
> Ed_Zep wrote:
>> Also, the tyre for the back wheel says for mounting on hooked rims
>> only. Are they different from the norm?
>
> Standard size these days seems to be 700 x 23C. Also normal are hooked
> rims (clinchers), designed to keep your tyre in place. Easy to check
> if you have hooked rims, you will be able to feel it on the inside of
> the rim.

"Clincher" can just mean any rim that isn't designed for tubular tyres,
including non-hooked ones.

"Strictly speaking, the term "clincher" is slightly incorrect, as it
applied to an obsolete style of tire which had ribs in the edges of the tire
which fitted into grooves on the rim, where the tire was folded under the
tube. The air pressure in the tube pressed the rib into the groove, and
"clinched" the tire in place. People who are fussy about this prefer the
term "wire-on.""
- http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_cl.html

(These grooves are different from modern hooks)

~PB

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home