PDA

View Full Version : Hovis Freewheel and trains

Steve W
September 22nd 07, 09:00 AM
Will it be OK to bring bikes on trains into, say Charing Cross or London
Brigde main line stations on Sunday morning ?
I heard some rumor that bikes were banned. If so I assume that Bromptons
will be OK.

Tony Raven[_2_]
September 22nd 07, 09:51 AM
In article >, steve.watkin1
@btinternet.com says...
> Will it be OK to bring bikes on trains into, say Charing Cross or London
> Brigde main line stations on Sunday morning ?
> I heard some rumor that bikes were banned. If so I assume that Bromptons
> will be OK.

We're going to have to drive in - trains from our neck of the woods have
been replaced by bike refusing buses for the weekend and I don't think
the children are up to the 55 miles each way cycle.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

elyob
September 22nd 07, 10:55 AM
"Tony Raven" > wrote in message
> In article >, steve.watkin1
> @btinternet.com says...
>> Will it be OK to bring bikes on trains into, say Charing Cross or London
>> Brigde main line stations on Sunday morning ?
>> I heard some rumor that bikes were banned. If so I assume that
>> Bromptons
>> will be OK.
>>

> We're going to have to drive in - trains from our neck of the woods have
> been replaced by bike refusing buses for the weekend and I don't think
> the children are up to the 55 miles each way cycle.

I'm thinking of flying in .....

Tom Crispin
September 22nd 07, 11:30 AM
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:55:33 +0100, "elyob" >
wrote:

>"Tony Raven" > wrote in message
>> In article >, steve.watkin1
>> @btinternet.com says...
>>> Will it be OK to bring bikes on trains into, say Charing Cross or London
>>> Brigde main line stations on Sunday morning ?
>>> I heard some rumor that bikes were banned. If so I assume that
>>> Bromptons
>>> will be OK.
>>>

>> We're going to have to drive in - trains from our neck of the woods have
>> been replaced by bike refusing buses for the weekend and I don't think
>> the children are up to the 55 miles each way cycle.
>>

>I'm thinking of flying in .....

If arriving at London City Airport you could join me and a host of
children for a leisurely ride along the Thames Cycle Route from
Greenwich before crashing the Freewheel without bibs (they haven't
arrived) and at an unofficial joining point.

Email on Friday:

==========

Registration Pack Update

HELP! MY REGISTRATION PACK HASN'T ARRIVED YET

Our sincere apologies for the delay in your pack arriving, the larger
than expected numbers registering and the fact customs took an unusual
interest in our bike bells has meant some packs have been posted later
than we had planned.

All packs have now been posted - the final few were posted at 8.30am
this morning (Friday Sept 21st) by 1st class mail.

If for some reason your packs does not turn up on Saturday morning
then please print of the email confirmation of your entry and bring to
your nearest hub information point in exchange for a bib.

==========

The spelling and grammer would be excellent for one of my Year 1
pupils.

Steve W
September 22nd 07, 11:39 AM
Tom,

I'm coming in from Orpington.

SW

Marc Brett
September 22nd 07, 12:16 PM
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:30:10 +0100, Tom Crispin
> wrote:

>The spelling and grammer would be excellent for one of my Year 1
>pupils.

Boys and girls: can you spot Mr. Crispin's deliberate mistake?

Tom Crispin
September 22nd 07, 12:18 PM
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:39:54 +0100, "Steve W"
> wrote:

>Tom,
>
>I'm coming in from Orpington.

Do you want to join up with me? I'll be leaving from Blackheath at
10:15 - near All Saint's Church - then joining up with Greenwich
Cyclists at Cutty Sark Gardens to ride along the Thames Route at
10:45. We plan to cycle over Tower Bridge before joining the
Freewheel at the North end of London Bridge at Lower Thames Street
(not the Victoria Park Hub entry point).

vernon
September 22nd 07, 01:19 PM
"Marc Brett" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:30:10 +0100, Tom Crispin
> > wrote:
>

>>The spelling and grammer would be excellent for one of my Year 1
>>pupils.
>
> Boys and girls: can you spot Mr. Crispin's deliberate mistake?

Even more embarrassing when one professes to be a teacher ;-)

Tony Raven[_2_]
September 22nd 07, 01:31 PM
In article >,
says...

> "Marc Brett" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:30:10 +0100, Tom Crispin
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>The spelling and grammer would be excellent for one of my Year 1
> >>pupils.
> >
> > Boys and girls: can you spot Mr. Crispin's deliberate mistake?
> >
> Even more embarrassing when one professes to be a teacher ;-)

Even more embarrassing if I tell you that Tom is not wrong. Grammer is
a recognised alternative spelling listed in the OED.

--
Tony

" It is much easier to be critical than to be correct."
- Benjamin Disraeli

vernon
September 22nd 07, 02:08 PM
"Tony Raven" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> "Marc Brett" > wrote in message
>> > On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:30:10 +0100, Tom Crispin

>> > Boys and girls: can you spot Mr. Crispin's deliberate mistake?
>> >
>> Even more embarrassing when one professes to be a teacher ;-)
>>

> Even more embarrassing if I tell you that Tom is not wrong. Grammer is
> a recognised alternative spelling listed in the OED.

It might be a recognised alternative spelling in the OED but it's not
recognised by any of the dictionaries that populate my bookshelf. I have
no recollection of ever seeing the word grammer appearing in print without
an accompanying or subsequent challenge to the validity of its spelling. As
an aside I witnessed a majot fallout between a senior university academic
and a senior university administrator over a dispute about the correctness
of focused and focussed.

Embarrassed? Me? Nahhhh...

Tony Raven[_2_]
September 22nd 07, 02:17 PM
In article >, says...

> It might be a recognised alternative spelling in the OED but it's not
> recognised by any of the dictionaries that populate my bookshelf.

Typical amateur scholar! ;-)

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Steve W
September 22nd 07, 02:24 PM
What's with you guys ? ?
Why have you got it in for Tom ?
The whole world makes mistakes, you included. Grammer is surely not the "be
all" whatever your occupation is.
Loosen up, and please try to help me on the question of the trains if you
can.

SW

Steve W
September 22nd 07, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the offer Tom.

I think the answer is "no" although I would like to, the distance will be
too much for Mrs W who I have convinced to join me. So I've really only two
options, one is to train up to London and the other is to drive up. Just
trying to decide, hence the original question.

SW

> Do you want to join up with me? I'll be leaving from Blackheath at
> 10:15 - near All Saint's Church - then joining up with Greenwich
> Cyclists at Cutty Sark Gardens to ride along the Thames Route at
> 10:45. We plan to cycle over Tower Bridge before joining the
> Freewheel at the North end of London Bridge at Lower Thames Street
> (not the Victoria Park Hub entry point).

Tony Raven[_2_]
September 22nd 07, 02:42 PM
In article >, steve.watkin1
@btinternet.com says...
> Thanks for the offer Tom.
>
> I think the answer is "no" although I would like to, the distance will be
> too much for Mrs W who I have convinced to join me. So I've really only two
> options, one is to train up to London and the other is to drive up. Just
> trying to decide, hence the original question.

We need a urc "masonic handshake" style means to identify fellow urcers
as we ride round. Look out for two yellow Bromptons accompanying either
a tandem or two singles (not yet decided)

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Tom Crispin
September 22nd 07, 03:07 PM
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 13:19:32 +0100, "vernon" >
wrote:

>"Marc Brett" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:30:10 +0100, Tom Crispin
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>The spelling and grammer would be excellent for one of my Year 1
>>>pupils.
>>
>> Boys and girls: can you spot Mr. Crispin's deliberate mistake?
>>
>Even more embarrassing when one professes to be a teacher ;-)

I'm shore you sore Helen's message:
.

vernon
September 22nd 07, 03:20 PM
"Tony Raven" > wrote in message
> In article >, says...
>>
>> It might be a recognised alternative spelling in the OED but it's not
>> recognised by any of the dictionaries that populate my bookshelf.
>

> Typical amateur scholar! ;-)

Too impecunious and too tight in every sense of the word to shell out for
the structural alterations to acomodate (sic) a full version of the OED but
it's something I aspire to :-)

vernon
September 22nd 07, 03:22 PM
"Steve W" > wrote in message
> What's with you guys ? ?
> Why have you got it in for Tom ?
> The whole world makes mistakes, you included. Grammer is surely not the
> "be all" whatever your occupation is.
> Loosen up, and please try to help me on the question of the trains if you
> can.
>
> SW

Too busy mischief making and making model aircraft to ring the relevant rail
companies to find the answers to your questions ;-)

Steve W
September 22nd 07, 05:28 PM
I'm on a red and black B and Mrs W is on a white one, see you there maybe !

SW

TimHenderson
September 22nd 07, 07:37 PM
On 22 Sep, 11:30, Tom Crispin >
wrote:

> ==========
>
> Registration Pack Update
>
> HELP! MY REGISTRATION PACK HASN'T ARRIVED YET
> All packs have now been posted - the final few were posted at 8.30am
> this morning (Friday Sept 21st) by 1st class mail.
>
> If for some reason your packs does not turn up on Saturday morning
> then please print of the email confirmation of your entry and bring to
> your nearest hub information point in exchange for a bib.
>
> ==========

Indeed my pack plopped onto the doormat this Saturday morning (I'd
have no chance of finding the email confirmation).
Now the question is, do I wear the bib ?

Steve W
September 22nd 07, 09:29 PM
I was thinking the same with regard to that bib. It's really a bit ugly and
quite small. Decided to fit it on the bike rather than on me. It fits
quite nicely over the handlebars on a Brompton !

SW

Ian Smith
September 22nd 07, 10:27 PM
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:08:41 +0100, vernon > wrote:

> "Tony Raven" > wrote in message
> >
> > Even more embarrassing if I tell you that Tom is not wrong. Grammer is
> > a recognised alternative spelling listed in the OED.
> >
> It might be a recognised alternative spelling in the OED but it's not
> recognised by any of the dictionaries that populate my bookshelf.

Nor mine, which include the Shorter Oxford, pretty much the longest
dictionary shorter than the OED.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Tony Raven[_2_]
September 22nd 07, 10:49 PM
In article >,
says...

> > Typical amateur scholar! ;-)
> >
> Too impecunious and too tight in every sense of the word to shell out for
> the structural alterations to acomodate (sic) a full version of the OED but
> it's something I aspire to :-)

Yes, it occupies all of one bookmark on my laptop which required
considerable structural alterations to it and it costs all of a trip to
your local library to arrange free access. ;-)
http://oed.com/

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Noel[_2_]
September 23rd 07, 12:07 AM
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 09:00:05 +0100, Steve W wrote:

> Will it be OK to bring bikes on trains into, say Charing Cross or London
> Brigde main line stations on Sunday morning ?
> I heard some rumor that bikes were banned. If so I assume that Bromptons
> will be OK.

If you are travelling on Southern then there are no trains at all to
London Bridge on Sunday:

http://www.southernrailway.com/news.php?id=125&u=index.php

vernon
September 23rd 07, 03:32 AM
"Tony Raven" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
>> >
>> > Typical amateur scholar! ;-)
>> >
>> Too impecunious and too tight in every sense of the word to shell out for
>> the structural alterations to acomodate (sic) a full version of the OED
>> but
>> it's something I aspire to :-)
>>

> Yes, it occupies all of one bookmark on my laptop which required
> considerable structural alterations to it and it costs all of a trip to
> your local library to arrange free access. ;-)
> http://oed.com/

I prefer paper versions of dictionaries - largely because of the
distractions that they offer in the adjacent words which are sometimes more
interesting then the subject of one's initial search.

A lap top is not as aesthetically pleasing as a full OED on a bookshelf. A
conventional OED doesn't suffer from system crashes, dead batteries -
mislaid charger crises, or network malfunctions ;-)

Tony Raven[_2_]
September 23rd 07, 07:44 AM
In article >,
says...

> A lap top is not as aesthetically pleasing as a full OED on a bookshelf. A
> conventional OED doesn't suffer from system crashes, dead batteries -
> mislaid charger crises, or network malfunctions ;-)

Yebbut you can't take the conventional OED around with you, it costs
money and space and needs to be kept up to date. I look forwarded to
seeing your future postings to urc being sent in by snail mail though
;-)

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Steve W
September 23rd 07, 08:36 AM
Thanks Noel,

Looks like it's got to be the car then ! !

SW

Simon Brooke
September 23rd 07, 09:34 AM
in message >, vernon
') wrote:

> "Tony Raven" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> says...

>>> Too impecunious and too tight in every sense of the word to shell out
>>> for the structural alterations to acomodate (sic) a full version of the
>>> OED but
>>> it's something I aspire to :-)
>>>

>> Yes, it occupies all of one bookmark on my laptop which required
>> considerable structural alterations to it and it costs all of a trip to
>> your local library to arrange free access. ;-)
>> http://oed.com/
>>
> I prefer paper versions of dictionaries - largely because of the
> distractions that they offer in the adjacent words which are sometimes
> more interesting then the subject of one's initial search.

This is the Oxford English we're talking about. Last time I saw a printed
copy it occupied more than eight shelf feet and weighed considerably more
than me. It's also a snip at only £850 a copy. I grew up with a 'Concise'
edition (which I've still got) and yes, it's great to browse. But you
really don't want to browse the full thing.

Wise man with foot in mouth use opportunity to clean toes.
;; the Worlock

Rob Morley
September 23rd 07, 12:09 PM
In article >, Simon
Brooke
says...

> This is the Oxford English we're talking about. Last time I saw a printed
> copy it occupied more than eight shelf feet and weighed considerably more
> than me. It's also a snip at only £850 a copy. I grew up with a 'Concise'
> edition (which I've still got) and yes, it's great to browse. But you
> really don't want to browse the full thing.

The compact edition is rather more manageable, although the later single
volume version has perhaps been reduced a little too much for comfort.

vernon
September 23rd 07, 12:40 PM
"Tony Raven" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
>

>> A lap top is not as aesthetically pleasing as a full OED on a bookshelf.
>> conventional OED doesn't suffer from system crashes, dead batteries -
>> mislaid charger crises, or network malfunctions ;-)
>>

> Yebbut you can't take the conventional OED around with you, it costs
> money and space and needs to be kept up to date. I look forwarded to
> seeing your future postings to urc being sent in by snail mail though
> ;-)

I couldn't get a reasonable quote for transcription from cuneiform on clay
to parchment to reduce the postal costs :-(

dkahn400
September 23rd 07, 07:24 PM
On Sep 22, 10:49 pm, Tony Raven > wrote:

> Yes, it occupies all of one bookmark on my laptop which required
> considerable structural alterations to it and it costs all of a trip to
> your local library to arrange free access. ;-)http://oed.com/

It works! Why didn't you tell me sooner? There is a link from the
Richmond upon Thames Library Services pages, but it's extremely well
hidden.

--
Dave...

Dave Larrington
September 24th 07, 09:40 AM
In ,
vernon > tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

> It might be a recognised alternative spelling in the OED but it's not
> recognised by any of the dictionaries that populate my bookshelf. I
> have no recollection of ever seeing the word grammer appearing in
> print without an accompanying or subsequent challenge to the validity
> of its spelling.

i beleive nigel molesworth the goriler of 3b always spelled it "grammer" and
noone complained...

--
Dave Larrington
It is not possible to call a complex number from a phone box.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home