PDA

View Full Version : Suspension fork service - worth it?

POHB
September 26th 07, 03:02 PM
I've got a project on the go building a full-sus mountain bike to play
with. Just about there now but I'm wondering about the fork I
acquired 2nd hand from ebay. The instruction manual has some stuff
about periodic home servicing which is essentially pulling it apart
and re-lubing. However, it also recommends an annual full dealer
service about which it gives no details.

Anybody know what a full fork service involves? Are they worth
bothering with, given that I have no warranty to worry about?

Paul Boyd
September 26th 07, 03:13 PM
POHB said the following on 26/09/2007 15:02:

> Anybody know what a full fork service involves? Are they worth
> bothering with, given that I have no warranty to worry about?

There is one teensy-weensy detail missing - what sort of fork is it? If
it's an RST elastomer fork then throw it away, but if it's a RockShox
Boxxer then service it!!!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

7@m3 G33k
September 26th 07, 03:25 PM
Paul Boyd wrote:
> POHB said the following on 26/09/2007 15:02:
>
>> Anybody know what a full fork service involves? Are they worth
>> bothering with, given that I have no warranty to worry about?
>
> There is one teensy-weensy detail missing - what sort of fork is it? If
> it's an RST elastomer fork then throw it away, but if it's a RockShox
> Boxxer then service it!!!

IMHO if we followed most manufacturer recommendations on maintenance
we'd spend more time polishing and re-greasing ball-bearings than riding
the bloody bike!

Paul's advice is sound though - I've taken apart, cleaned and re-greased
a pair of RSTs, not tricky and it did improve their performance (that
was after about 7 years moderate use!). Anything more
complicated/expensive then at the very least take the advice of your
friendly LBS.

Ian

POHB
September 26th 07, 03:31 PM
On 26 Sep, 15:25, "7@m3 G33k" > wrote:
> Paul Boyd wrote:
> > POHB said the following on 26/09/2007 15:02:
>
> >> Anybody know what a full fork service involves? Are they worth
> >> bothering with, given that I have no warranty to worry about?
>
> > There is one teensy-weensy detail missing - what sort of fork is it? If
> > it's an RST elastomer fork then throw it away, but if it's a RockShox
> > Boxxer then service it!!!
>
> IMHO if we followed most manufacturer recommendations on maintenance
> we'd spend more time polishing and re-greasing ball-bearings than riding
> the bloody bike!
>
> Paul's advice is sound though - I've taken apart, cleaned and re-greased
> a pair of RSTs, not tricky and it did improve their performance (that
> was after about 7 years moderate use!). Anything more
> complicated/expensive then at the very least take the advice of your
> friendly LBS.
>
> Ian

Pace RC39

Clive George
September 26th 07, 03:34 PM
"7@m3 G33k" > wrote in message
. uk...

> Paul's advice is sound though - I've taken apart, cleaned and re-greased a
> pair of RSTs, not tricky and it did improve their performance (that was
> after about 7 years moderate use!). Anything more complicated/expensive
> then at the very least take the advice of your friendly LBS.

Depending on how mechanically competent you are and how good your LBS is of
course.

cheers,
clive

7@m3 G33k
September 26th 07, 04:19 PM
POHB wrote:

> Pace RC39

Yeah...you wouldn't want those - but I'll do you a big favour and take
them off of your hands. They'd only be trouble. Honest. No, *really*
they would. Best to just give them away. To me. Now. Please?

Ian :)

Coyoteboy
September 26th 07, 07:04 PM
POHB wrote:
> On 26 Sep, 15:25, "7@m3 G33k" > wrote:
>> Paul Boyd wrote:
>>> There is one teensy-weensy detail missing - what sort of fork is it? If
>>> it's an RST elastomer fork then throw it away, but if it's a RockShox
>>> Boxxer then service it!!!
>> IMHO if we followed most manufacturer recommendations on maintenance
>> we'd spend more time polishing and re-greasing ball-bearings than riding
>> the bloody bike!
>>
>> Paul's advice is sound though - I've taken apart, cleaned and re-greased
>> a pair of RSTs, not tricky and it did improve their performance (that
>> was after about 7 years moderate use!). Anything more
>> complicated/expensive then at the very least take the advice of your
>> friendly LBS.
>>
>> Ian
>
> Pace RC39

Get them stripped - the big killer of pace forks is lack of maintenance
- bombers can be left for decades in acid without problems but pace seem
to be fairly susceptible. Should be a lovely fork.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home