PDA

View Full Version : lighting

clodhopper
September 29th 07, 12:02 PM
Anyone got any recomendations for cycle lighting. What kind of wattage and
cost should I be looking at (I dont want break the bank and would prefer
under £100).

I need to get good vision on unlit roads for periods up to an hour

Cheers

Simon Brooke
September 29th 07, 03:46 PM
in message >, clodhopper
') wrote:

> Anyone got any recomendations for cycle lighting. What kind of wattage
> and cost should I be looking at (I dont want break the bank and would
> prefer under £100).
>
> I need to get good vision on unlit roads for periods up to an hour

Shimano dynohub, at that money. They start at a very reasonable £35,
although the ones with really good bearings cost about £60. You'll need to
price in the new spokes you'll need to build it into a wheel (and possibly
the wheel building if you don't do it yourself), and the light - e.g.
Lumotec at about £15.

;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
;; education and catastrophe.
H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"

clodhopper
September 29th 07, 04:36 PM
"Simon Brooke" > wrote in message
> in message >, clodhopper
> ') wrote:
>
>> Anyone got any recomendations for cycle lighting. What kind of wattage
>> and cost should I be looking at (I dont want break the bank and would
>> prefer under 100).
>>
>> I need to get good vision on unlit roads for periods up to an hour
>
> Shimano dynohub, at that money. They start at a very reasonable £35,
> although the ones with really good bearings cost about £60. You'll need to
> price in the new spokes you'll need to build it into a wheel (and possibly
> the wheel building if you don't do it yourself), and the light - e.g.
> Lumotec at about £15.
>
> --
> (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

Thanks Simon. Should have said not really looking for a dynamo type though.
Rechargeable system is what I'm after.

> ;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
> ;; education and catastrophe.
> H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"

Nigel Cliffe
September 29th 07, 08:36 PM
clodhopper wrote:
> "Simon Brooke" > wrote in message
>> in message >, clodhopper
>> ') wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone got any recomendations for cycle lighting. What kind of
>>> wattage and cost should I be looking at (I dont want break the bank
>>> and would prefer under 100).
>>>
>>> I need to get good vision on unlit roads for periods up to an hour
>>
>> Shimano dynohub, at that money. They start at a very reasonable £35,
>> although the ones with really good bearings cost about £60. You'll
>> need to price in the new spokes you'll need to build it into a wheel
>> (and possibly the wheel building if you don't do it yourself), and
>> the light - e.g. Lumotec at about £15.
>>
>> --
>> (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>
> Thanks Simon. Should have said not really looking for a dynamo type
> though. Rechargeable system is what I'm after.

Why do you think a dynamo hub inappropriate ?

I find it gives more than adequate light at the flick of a switch. No
batteries to charge up. Don't need to remove lights from bike when shopping,
etc.. And it glows for a few minutes when stationary.

(another Shimano dynamo hub user)

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

spokes[_2_]
September 29th 07, 09:04 PM
Someone posted this
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1388i

in a thread below that would be worth you taking a look at -

looks like excellent vfm
"clodhopper" > wrote in message
> Anyone got any recomendations for cycle lighting. What kind of wattage and
> cost should I be looking at (I dont want break the bank and would prefer
> under £100).
>
> I need to get good vision on unlit roads for periods up to an hour
>

> Cheers

clodhopper
September 30th 07, 08:04 AM

> Why do you think a dynamo hub inappropriate ?

Well because I have an extremely light road bike and would have to lug a
dynamo around even when it's light and what would I do with the 20 spoke
bontrager wheel I've got just now?

clodhopper
September 30th 07, 08:06 AM
"spokes" > wrote in message
> Someone posted this
> http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1388i
>
> in a thread below that would be worth you taking a look at -
>
> looks like excellent vfm
> "clodhopper" > wrote in message
>> Anyone got any recomendations for cycle lighting. What kind of wattage
>> and cost should I be looking at (I dont want break the bank and would
>> prefer under £100).
>>
>> I need to get good vision on unlit roads for periods up to an hour
>>

>> Cheers

sadly the link doesn't work

Nigel Cliffe
September 30th 07, 09:17 AM
clodhopper wrote:
>> Why do you think a dynamo hub inappropriate ?
>>

> Well because I have an extremely light road bike and would have to
> lug a dynamo around even when it's light and what would I do with the
> 20 spoke bontrager wheel I've got just now?

Take summer light wheel out of bike. Hang in shed. Put in winter wheel.
I do this on one of my bikes.

Total weight being lugged around is the lamp and length of wire. Comparison
with battery lamps where you are lugging lamps (similar weight to dynamo
lamps) and batteries (extra weight).

However, for adequate battery lamps, lots around if you have the discipline
to keep the batteries charged and in good condition. I favour smaller AA
powered things, particularly any which will run on NiMH rechargeables. Thus,
if caught out, a garage or supermarket will sell some Duracells to keep the
lamp running.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

renum
September 30th 07, 09:49 AM
clodhopper wrote:
> sadly the link doesn't work

Remove the "i" from the end of the link.

clodhopper
September 30th 07, 01:12 PM
"Nigel Cliffe" > wrote in message
> clodhopper wrote:
>>> Why do you think a dynamo hub inappropriate ?
>>>

>> Well because I have an extremely light road bike and would have to
>> lug a dynamo around even when it's light and what would I do with the
>> 20 spoke bontrager wheel I've got just now?
>
> Take summer light wheel out of bike. Hang in shed. Put in winter wheel.
> I do this on one of my bikes.
>
> Total weight being lugged around is the lamp and length of wire.
> Comparison with battery lamps where you are lugging lamps (similar weight
> to dynamo lamps) and batteries (extra weight).
>

> However, for adequate battery lamps, lots around if you have the
> discipline to keep the batteries charged and in good condition. I favour
> smaller AA powered things, particularly any which will run on NiMH
> rechargeables. Thus, if caught out, a garage or supermarket will sell some
> Duracells to keep the lamp running.
>

> - Nigel
>

> --
> Nigel Cliffe,