PDA

View Full Version : My kids did good.

vernon
October 9th 07, 08:45 PM
This morning's torrential rain did not auger well for today's sessions with
British Cycling. The coach rang me asking for the use of an empty classroom
because he thought that it was too wet. He was gob smacked whern I told him
that I'd got only two fewer cyclists per session i.e. eighteen instead of
twenty waiting for him in full kit and fit and raring to go. I must admit
that I was expecting the numbers to be decimated but bless 'em, they all
wanted to get out there and get dirty.

Another successful couple of sessions with the coaches commenting very
positively about the 'go get 'em' attitude of the kids. None of the kids
complained about the weather - thankfully it faired up quite early on.

Two more days' worth of activities with some testing in the final session to
go. I'm still turning kids away but it does look like that the activities
have sparked an interest in cycling as I've got pupils asking about cycling
into school and where there's local cycling clubs.

Helen Deborah Vecht
October 9th 07, 09:40 PM
"vernon" >typed

> This morning's torrential rain did not auger well for today's sessions with
> British Cycling. The coach rang me asking for the use of an empty
> classroom
> because he thought that it was too wet. He was gob smacked whern I
> told him
> that I'd got only two fewer cyclists per session i.e. eighteen instead of
> twenty waiting for him in full kit and fit and raring to go. I must admit
> that I was expecting the numbers to be decimated but bless 'em, they all
> wanted to get out there and get dirty.

> Another successful couple of sessions with the coaches commenting very
> positively about the 'go get 'em' attitude of the kids. None of the kids
> complained about the weather - thankfully it faired up quite early on.

> Two more days' worth of activities with some testing in the final
> session to
> go. I'm still turning kids away but it does look like that the activities
> have sparked an interest in cycling as I've got pupils asking about cycling
> into school and where there's local cycling clubs.

<pedant>

Decimated means reduced by one tenth. Your class was reduced by one
tenth. It *was* decimated...

<pedant>

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Paul Rudin[_2_]
October 9th 07, 10:23 PM
"vernon" > writes:

> ... eighteen instead of twenty ...

> I must admit that I was expecting the numbers to be decimated...

Then apparently you were remarkably accurate in your expectation :)

Mark McNeill
October 9th 07, 10:35 PM
Response to Helen Deborah Vecht:
> <pedant>
>
> Decimated means reduced by one tenth. Your class was reduced by one
> tenth. It *was* decimated...
>
> <pedant>

<pedant^2>

What! One tenth of the class was executed? ;-)

</pedant^2>

Nah, common usage has won on this one; since C17, according to Chambers.

--
Mark, UK
"One should as a rule respect public opinion in so far as is necessary

vernon
October 9th 07, 10:47 PM
"Paul Rudin" > wrote in message
> "vernon" > writes:
>
>> ... eighteen instead of twenty ...
>
>> I must admit that I was expecting the numbers to be decimated...
>
> Then apparently you were remarkably accurate in your expectation :)

Ok then. I expected the numbers to be halved and was pleasantly surprised
to find them decimated.

Happy? ;-)

Paul Rudin[_2_]
October 10th 07, 08:08 AM
Mark McNeill > writes:

> Response to Helen Deborah Vecht:
>> <pedant>
>>
>> Decimated means reduced by one tenth. Your class was reduced by one
>> tenth. It *was* decimated...
>>
>> <pedant>
>

> <pedant^2>
>
> What! One tenth of the class was executed? ;-)
>
> </pedant^2>
>

> Nah, common usage has won on this one; since C17, according to Chambers.

I know, I was just messing around. But the combination of that word
togther with the exact 1 in 10 proportion was mildy amusing.

David Martin
October 10th 07, 09:11 AM
I'm not surprised. Kids will go out in all weathers.

After all, the definition of a sweater is a garment worn by a child
when the mother feels cold.

...d

POHB
October 10th 07, 09:21 AM
On 10 Oct, 09:11, David Martin > wrote:
> I'm not surprised. Kids will go out in all weathers.
>
> After all, the definition of a sweater is a garment worn by a child
> when the mother feels cold.

However, adults have all run for cover and put their bikes in the shed
for the winter. There was loads of space in the bike racks this
morning.

October 10th 07, 02:15 PM
On 10 Oct, 09:21, POHB > wrote:
> On 10 Oct, 09:11, David Martin > wrote:
>
> > I'm not surprised. Kids will go out in all weathers.
>
> > After all, the definition of a sweater is a garment worn by a child
> > when the mother feels cold.
>
> However, adults have all run for cover and put their bikes in the shed
> for the winter. There was loads of space in the bike racks this
> morning.

The kids were up for anything the weather could throw at them. I had
forewarned parents in the original permission letter though that the
activities would be taking place irrespective of weather conditions.
I would not have been gutted if more kids had backed out. I dont think
that I would have commuted on a bike yesterday if I had a car as well
as a bike. It wasn't a very nice start to the day.

This Friday's sessions coincides with some free lesson time and I'm
tempted to bring my bike into school and join in.

October 10th 07, 02:37 PM
On 10 Oct, 08:08, Paul Rudin > wrote:
> Mark McNeill > writes:
> > Response to Helen Deborah Vecht:
> >> <pedant>
>
> >> Decimated means reduced by one tenth. Your class was reduced by one
> >> tenth. It *was* decimated...
>
> >> <pedant>
>
> > <pedant^2>
>
> > What! One tenth of the class was executed? ;-)
>
> > </pedant^2>
>
> > Nah, common usage has won on this one; since C17, according to Chambers.
>
> I know, I was just messing around. But the combination of that word
> togther with the exact 1 in 10 proportion was mildy amusing.- Hide quoted text -

No offense taken. It was a case of disengaged brain. :-)

Alistair Gunn
October 11th 07, 03:31 PM
Mark McNeill twisted the electrons to say:
> Response to Helen Deborah Vecht:
> > <pedant>
> >
> > Decimated means reduced by one tenth. Your class was reduced by one
> > tenth. It *was* decimated...
> >
> > <pedant>
> <pedant^2>
> What! One tenth of the class was executed? ;-)
> </pedant^2>

<pedant^3>
They drew straws in groups of 10, and the unlucky individual with the
short straw was killed by the other 9? :-)
</pedant^3>

Martin Dann
October 11th 07, 11:14 PM
POHB wrote:
> On 10 Oct, 09:11, David Martin > wrote:
>> I'm not surprised. Kids will go out in all weathers.
>>
>> After all, the definition of a sweater is a garment worn by a child
>> when the mother feels cold.

i.e. in the middle of summer.

> However, adults have all run for cover and put their bikes in the shed
> for the winter. There was loads of space in the bike racks this
> morning.

Go asked today:
Don't you get cold ridding home at night? (Me just in baggy shorts and
t-shirt.)

Martin.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home