PDA

View Full Version : DoT Copycat campaign

Carol Hague
November 19th 07, 05:42 PM
I've just reported the Department of Transport to the Advertising
Standards Agency.

They're running a radio ad around here that lists things you shouldn't
do in case your child copies you and listing not wearing a cycle helmet
between not wearing a seatbelt and using a mobile phone while driving.
Since both those are illegal, it could easily give the impression that
not wearing a helmet is also illegal, so I've complained that the ad is
misleading.

It seems to me like a way of bringing in compulsory cycle helmets via
the back door and makes me very cross indeed.

--
Carol
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put

Brian G
November 19th 07, 06:15 PM
Carol Hague wrote:
> I've just reported the Department of Transport to the Advertising
> Standards Agency.
>
> They're running a radio ad around here that lists things you shouldn't
> do in case your child copies you and listing not wearing a cycle helmet
> between not wearing a seatbelt and using a mobile phone while driving.
> Since both those are illegal, it could easily give the impression that
> not wearing a helmet is also illegal, so I've complained that the ad is
> misleading.
>
> It seems to me like a way of bringing in compulsory cycle helmets via
> the back door and makes me very cross indeed.

Well spotted.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk

burtthebike
November 19th 07, 11:09 PM
"Carol Hague" > wrote in message
> I've just reported the Department of Transport to the Advertising
> Standards Agency.
>
> They're running a radio ad around here that lists things you shouldn't
> do in case your child copies you and listing not wearing a cycle helmet
> between not wearing a seatbelt and using a mobile phone while driving.
> Since both those are illegal, it could easily give the impression that
> not wearing a helmet is also illegal, so I've complained that the ad is
> misleading.
>
> It seems to me like a way of bringing in compulsory cycle helmets via
> the back door and makes me very cross indeed.

Thanks Carol, I heard this on my local station and noted how misleading and
inaccurate it was, but I'd forgotten to do anything about it by the time I
got home. Can you complain to the ASA online?

Mark Annand
November 19th 07, 11:13 PM
burtthebike wrote:

> Can you complain to the ASA online?

Yes.

David Hansen
November 19th 07, 11:19 PM
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:42:28 +0000 someone who may be
(Carol Hague) wrote this:-

>I've just reported the Department of Transport to the Advertising
>Standards Agency.

The latter are useless in my experience, simply the PR arm of
government departments. However, it's still worth a try.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Carol Hague
November 20th 07, 10:27 AM
burtthebike > wrote:

> "Carol Hague" > wrote in message
> > I've just reported the Department of Transport to the Advertising
> > Standards Agency.

> Thanks Carol, I heard this on my local station and noted how misleading and
> inaccurate it was, but I'd forgotten to do anything about it by the time I
> got home. Can you complain to the ASA online?

You can indeed. There's a link on their How To Complain page to a form
you can fill in :- http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/how_to_complain/

Sorry for the slow reply, the ISP's been playing silly beggars.

--

David Hansen > wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:42:28 +0000 someone who may be
> (Carol Hague) wrote this:-
>
> >I've just reported the Department of Transport to the Advertising
> >Standards Agency.
>
> The latter are useless in my experience, simply the PR arm of
> government departments. However, it's still worth a try.

I don't know if they'll do anything, but if no-one complains they
*definitely* won't. :-)

--
Carol
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put
that thing in your mouth. Particularly if the thing is
cats." - Lemony Snicket _The Wide Window_

David Martin
November 21st 07, 09:30 AM
On Nov 19, 5:42 pm, (Carol Hague) wrote:
> I've just reported the Department of Transport to the Advertising
> Standards Agency.
>
> They're running a radio ad around here that lists things you shouldn't
> do in case your child copies you and listing not wearing a cycle helmet
> between not wearing a seatbelt and using a mobile phone while driving.
> Since both those are illegal, it could easily give the impression that
> not wearing a helmet is also illegal, so I've complained that the ad is
> misleading.

Did they include driving 100m to the corner shop instead of walking /
cycling?

...d

Carol Hague
November 21st 07, 01:12 PM
David Martin > wrote:

> On Nov 19, 5:42 pm, (Carol Hague) wrote:
> > I've just reported the Department of Transport to the Advertising
> > Standards Agency.
> >
> > They're running a radio ad around here that lists things you shouldn't
> > do in case your child copies you

> Did they include driving 100m to the corner shop instead of walking /
> cycling?

I suspect you will not be overly surprised to learn that they did no
such thing.

--
Carol
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put
that thing in your mouth. Particularly if the thing is
cats." - Lemony Snicket _The Wide Window_

Paul Boyd
November 21st 07, 03:03 PM
David Martin said the following on 21/11/2007 09:30:

> Did they include driving 100m to the corner shop instead of walking /
> cycling?

I always thought that was one of these urban myths - I mean, people
wouldn't really do that, would they?

Well, yes they do!!! Anything less than a mile and I don't even bother
getting the bike out, never mind the car!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

jen
November 21st 07, 03:13 PM
On Nov 21, 3:03 pm, Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:

> Well, yes they do!!! Anything less than a mile and I don't even bother
> getting the bike out, never mind the car!

I have about a 10 minute walk to take my 6yr old to and from Beavers.
I've lost count of the amount of times other concerned parents have
offered to take him for me. They look at me like I'm mad when I claim
to actually enjoy the walk. Apart from anything else walking him home
at the end of the night helps to calm him down after going ballistic
while there.

I've offered to walk theirs too, but none of them have taken me up on
it :(

Jen

Martin Dann
November 21st 07, 03:30 PM
Paul Boyd wrote:
> David Martin said the following on 21/11/2007 09:30:
>
>> Did they include driving 100m to the corner shop instead of walking /
>> cycling?
>
> I always thought that was one of these urban myths - I mean, people
> wouldn't really do that, would they?

I have seen this many times.

> Well, yes they do!!! Anything less than a mile and I don't even bother
> getting the bike out, never mind the car!

I regularly walk a round trip over four miles down to the city centre
and back, especially if it avoids cycling in rush hour traffic. IMHO
walking around Bristol around 6pm can't be slower than driving.

(Although other times I deliberately go for a cycle in the rush hour
traffic).

David Hansen
November 21st 07, 05:16 PM
On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:13:42 -0800 (PST) someone who may be jen
> wrote this:-

>> Well, yes they do!!! Anything less than a mile and I don't even bother
>> getting the bike out, never mind the car!
>
>I have about a 10 minute walk to take my 6yr old to and from Beavers.
>I've lost count of the amount of times other concerned parents have
>offered to take him for me.

Some of my neighbours drive to the shops. It must take three or four
minutes to get the car out, drive along several roads, park and get
to the shops.

It takes two minutes to walk down the path and get to the shops...

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Tony Raven[_2_]
November 21st 07, 06:11 PM
In article <e1087c2a-4e41-49c4-a73b-8a089de4afd7
@y43g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>,
says...

> I have about a 10 minute walk to take my 6yr old to and from Beavers.
> I've lost count of the amount of times other concerned parents have
> offered to take him for me. They look at me like I'm mad when I claim
> to actually enjoy the walk. Apart from anything else walking him home
> at the end of the night helps to calm him down after going ballistic
> while there.

Expect a middle of the night knock on the door from social services
investigating child abuse ;-)

--
Tony

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
taken place"
George Bernard Shaw

Marc
November 21st 07, 06:17 PM
Tony Raven wrote:
> In article <e1087c2a-4e41-49c4-a73b-8a089de4afd7
> @y43g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>,
> says...
>
>> I have about a 10 minute walk to take my 6yr old to and from Beavers.
>> I've lost count of the amount of times other concerned parents have
>> offered to take him for me. They look at me like I'm mad when I claim
>> to actually enjoy the walk. Apart from anything else walking him home
>> at the end of the night helps to calm him down after going ballistic
>> while there.
>>

> Expect a middle of the night knock on the door from social services
> investigating child abuse ;-)

My partner works for Social services , she can't get social workers to
take calls or meet people in reception let alone raise themselves in the
middle of the night!

Tony Raven[_3_]
November 21st 07, 06:38 PM
marc wrote:

> My partner works for Social services , she can't get social workers to
> take calls or meet people in reception let alone raise themselves in the
> middle of the night!

Using the right magic words seems to do it. See Cleveland, Rochdale,
Orkneys, Western Isles....

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Ian Smith
November 21st 07, 07:00 PM
On Wed, 21 Nov, Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:
> David Martin said the following on 21/11/2007 09:30:
>
> > Did they include driving 100m to the corner shop instead of
> > walking / cycling?
>
> I always thought that was one of these urban myths - I mean, people
> wouldn't really do that, would they?

There was a outraged letter in my local paper from some bloke whining
about the traffic and insisting that 'they' should do something about
it. It was no SO BAD, he said, that he had bought a bike because it
was actually quicker for him to cycle the quarter-mile to the
paper shop each morning than to drive! Preposterous!

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Mark[_3_]
November 22nd 07, 10:47 AM
On 21 Nov 2007 19:00:57 GMT, Ian Smith > wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Nov, Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:
>> David Martin said the following on 21/11/2007 09:30:
>>
>> > Did they include driving 100m to the corner shop instead of
>> > walking / cycling?
>>
>> I always thought that was one of these urban myths - I mean, people
>> wouldn't really do that, would they?
>
>There was a outraged letter in my local paper from some bloke whining
>about the traffic and insisting that 'they' should do something about
>it. It was no SO BAD, he said, that he had bought a bike because it
>was actually quicker for him to cycle the quarter-mile to the
>paper shop each morning than to drive! Preposterous!

I recently read a letter in our local rag where a parent was
complaining that the school did not provide parking spaces for parents
because it is unreasonable to expect children to walk to school if it
is raining.

I am not making this up.

Ekul Namsob
November 22nd 07, 06:50 PM
Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:

> David Martin said the following on 21/11/2007 09:30:
>
> > Did they include driving 100m to the corner shop instead of walking /
> > cycling?
>
> I always thought that was one of these urban myths - I mean, people
> wouldn't really do that, would they?
>
> Well, yes they do!!! Anything less than a mile and I don't even bother
> getting the bike out, never mind the car!

On holiday in Fort William a few years ago, I walked off to the campsite
shop to buy ice creams. As I set off, the chap in the neighbouring tent
got into his car. I arrived at the shop just as the driver was coming
out, carrying three ice creams.

He said, "Sorry mate, I could've offered you a lift if I'd realised" (or
words to that effect).

Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

burtthebike
November 22nd 07, 11:55 PM
"Ekul Namsob" > wrote in message
news:1i7zs6g.pwu0bttuqsgwN%notmyaddress.1.ekulnams ...
> Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:
>
>> David Martin said the following on 21/11/2007 09:30:
>>
>> > Did they include driving 100m to the corner shop instead of walking /
>> > cycling?
>>
>> I always thought that was one of these urban myths - I mean, people
>> wouldn't really do that, would they?
>>
>> Well, yes they do!!! Anything less than a mile and I don't even bother
>> getting the bike out, never mind the car!
>
> On holiday in Fort William a few years ago, I walked off to the campsite
> shop to buy ice creams. As I set off, the chap in the neighbouring tent
> got into his car. I arrived at the shop just as the driver was coming
> out, carrying three ice creams.

Wot! didn't the fat bas*tard buy any icecreams for anyone else?!

Paul Boyd
November 23rd 07, 07:56 AM
burtthebike said the following on 22/11/2007 23:55:

> "Ekul Namsob" > wrote in message

>> On holiday in Fort William a few years ago, I walked off to the campsite
>> shop to buy ice creams. As I set off, the chap in the neighbouring tent
>> got into his car. I arrived at the shop just as the driver was coming
>> out, carrying three ice creams.
>
> Wot! didn't the fat bas*tard buy any icecreams for anyone else?!

I regularly go camping (including the Glen Nevis campsite near Fort
William). None of these campsites are particularly large, but it
always amazes me how many people drive around them rather than walk.
But then again, it amazes me how many people apparently sit outside
their caravans or tents all day doing absolutely nothing, with all that
beautiful scenery out there!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

November 23rd 07, 09:11 AM
On 23 Nov, 07:56, Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:

> But then again, it amazes me how many people apparently sit outside
> their caravans or tents all day doing absolutely nothing, with all that
> beautiful scenery out there!

There is, of course, a (suprisingly large) number of people for whom
the whole point of going on holiday is to do absolutely nothing...
They probably wonder why you would come on holiday and then spend your
days cycling miles and walking up & down hills... After all, you can
see beautiful scenery without even leaving the campsite!

Strange things, people...

Cheers,
W.

dkahn400
November 23rd 07, 11:09 AM
On Nov 23, 9:11 am, wrote:

> There is, of course, a (suprisingly large) number of people for whom
> the whole point of going on holiday is to do absolutely nothing...

A holiday doing nothing would be too exhausting for me.

--
Dave...

Paul Boyd
November 23rd 07, 11:10 AM
said the following on 23/11/2007 09:11:

> There is, of course, a (suprisingly large) number of people for whom
> the whole point of going on holiday is to do absolutely nothing...

Nowt so strange as folk! It just seems odd to me that most of us spend
all our time working so that we don't have time to do anything else, and
when we do have time to ourselves, some people use that valuable time to
do... absolutely nothing!

Oh well - means the paths are quieter :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Jeremy Parker
November 24th 07, 08:46 PM
>> David Martin said the following on 21/11/2007 09:30:
>>
>> > Did they include driving 100m to the corner shop instead of
>> > walking /
>> > cycling?

If you go to any modern out of town regional shopping centre, you
will usually find some feature, about half way down, which prevents
you from seeing from one end of the shops to the other

It has been found that without this, people tend to decide that they
will not walk al the way down, but will go back to their car, and
drive round the building.

Having got into the car, they will then decide it isn't worth it to
visit the other end, so they go home instead, thus failing to buy as
much stuff as the shopping centre wants them to

Martin Dann
January 6th 08, 07:05 PM
Paul Boyd wrote:
> David Martin said the following on 21/11/2007 09:30:
>
>> Did they include driving 100m to the corner shop instead of walking /
>> cycling?
>
> I always thought that was one of these urban myths - I mean, people
> wouldn't really do that, would they?

Sorry for replying to an old thread, but:

This evening whilst walking coming home, I turned the corner to see a
woman maneuvering here car out of a parking space, drive 9 car lengths
(25ish meters) up the road, and park into a second tight parking space.
In the time she took to do this, I covered at least three times the
distance on foot (the right one), and she still had not finished parking
when I lost sight of her.

Rob Morley
January 6th 08, 10:43 PM
In article >, Martin Dann
says...

> Sorry for replying to an old thread, but:
>
> This evening whilst walking coming home, I turned the corner to see a
> woman maneuvering here car out of a parking space, drive 9 car lengths
> (25ish meters) up the road, and park into a second tight parking space.
> In the time she took to do this, I covered at least three times the
> distance on foot (the right one), and she still had not finished parking
> when I lost sight of her.

Maybe she waa moving it to a parking space outside her house which was
occupied when she parked earlier.

John Kane
January 7th 08, 09:32 PM
On Jan 6, 2:05 pm, Martin Dann > wrote:
> Paul Boyd wrote:
> > David Martin said the following on 21/11/2007 09:30:
>
> >> Did they include driving 100m to the corner shop instead of walking /
> >> cycling?
>
> > I always thought that was one of these urban myths - I mean, people
> > wouldn't really do that, would they?
>
> Sorry for replying to an old thread, but:
>
> This evening whilst walking coming home, I turned the corner to see a
> woman maneuvering here car out of a parking space, drive 9 car lengths
> (25ish meters) up the road, and park into a second tight parking space.
> In the time she took to do this, I covered at least three times the
> distance on foot (the right one), and she still had not finished parking
> when I lost sight of her.

I don't know about the UK but I know at least one woman in the Detroit
suburbs who usually uses the car to go from her house to her friend's
house (3 doors ~ 300 ft) down the street.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

January 8th 08, 10:01 AM
Hi,

On 7 Jan, 21:32, John Kane > wrote:

> I don't know about the UK but I know at least one woman in the Detroit
> suburbs who usually uses the car to go from her house to her friend's
> house (3 doors ~ 300 ft) down the street.

Three doors is extreme, agreed, but I was struck by how limited
pedestrian facilities are in *some parts* of the States.
It can be pretty difficult to walk around when there is no space
provided to do so- you repeatedly hit bottlenecks where walls, fences
and other obstacles abut the road.

Cheers,
W.

POHB
January 8th 08, 10:47 AM
On 8 Jan, 10:01, wrote:
> *Three doors is extreme, agreed, but I was struck by how limited
> pedestrian facilities are in *some parts* of the States.
> *It can be pretty difficult to walk around when there is no space
> provided to do so- you repeatedly hit bottlenecks where walls, fences
> and other obstacles abut the road.

'tis true. I worked in Nashville for a while and stayed in a hotel
next door to the office. There was no way to walk between the two
unless you were prepared to stagger along a 45 degree muddy embankment
next to the road. More recently I came across something similar in
the UK trying to walk about 1/2 Km from an office to a hotel near
Heathrow.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home