PDA

View Full Version : First frosty beard ride of the year

Clive George
November 24th 07, 02:39 AM
Possibly the most ice in my beard for a while - it's wasn't warm out there!
(10pm-ish)

cheers,
clive

Paul Boyd
November 24th 07, 07:50 AM
Clive George said the following on 24/11/2007 02:39:
> Possibly the most ice in my beard for a while - it's wasn't warm out
> there! (10pm-ish)

Blimey - you must live in temperate climes :-) A lot of commuters have
had frosty rides for at least a month, if not more!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

vernon[_2_]
November 24th 07, 08:36 AM
"Paul Boyd" <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote in message
> Clive George said the following on 24/11/2007 02:39:
>> Possibly the most ice in my beard for a while - it's wasn't warm out
>> there! (10pm-ish)
>
> Blimey - you must live in temperate climes :-) A lot of commuters have
> had frosty rides for at least a month, if not more!
>
> --
> Paul Boyd
> http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

The last of the short wearing cycle commuters that I see on my way to work
finally covered his legs this week.

Trevor A Panther[_2_]
November 24th 07, 09:15 AM
"vernon" > wrote in message

> "Paul Boyd" <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote in message
>> Clive George said the following on 24/11/2007 02:39:
>>> Possibly the most ice in my beard for a while - it's wasn't warm out
>>> there! (10pm-ish)
>>
>> Blimey - you must live in temperate climes :-) A lot of commuters have had
>> frosty rides for at least a month, if not more!
>>
>> --
>> Paul Boyd
>> http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
>
> The last of the short wearing cycle commuters that I see on my way to work
> finally covered his legs this week.

Still in shorts ( long shorts to just below the knee) but will admit to
wearing knee warmers on the last couple of days -- which is why I am wearing
long shorts -- oh vanity vanity!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Nick Kew
November 24th 07, 11:45 AM
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 09:15:57 GMT
"Trevor A Panther" > wrote:

> Still in shorts ( long shorts to just below the knee) but will admit
> to wearing knee warmers on the last couple of days -- which is why I
> am wearing long shorts -- oh vanity vanity!

Was out in shorts yesterday. Also long shorts, just as you
describe, but in my case the reason is an inability to find
anything shorter but practical (i.e. having things like
robust pockets) in the shops these days. Started out with a
sweatshirt, but removed that after warming up on the uphill.

Mind you, was home by 5pm, so missed anything with pretensions
to coldness.

--
not me guv

Clive George
November 24th 07, 01:33 PM
"Paul Boyd" <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote in message
> Clive George said the following on 24/11/2007 02:39:
>> Possibly the most ice in my beard for a while - it's wasn't warm out
>> there! (10pm-ish)
>
> Blimey - you must live in temperate climes :-) A lot of commuters have
> had frosty rides for at least a month, if not more!

Frosty beard, not just frost. (let's not mention the frosty 'tache - the
genesis isn't as nice, though it should have a higher melting point).

cheers,
clive

Nick Kew
November 24th 07, 01:58 PM
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 13:33:31 -0000
"Clive George" > wrote:

> Frosty beard, not just frost. (let's not mention the frosty 'tache -
> the genesis isn't as nice, though it should have a higher melting
> point).

The real fun thing is icicles on the eyebrows.

Got 'em commuting to school in the winter of '78-'79
(for our younger readers, that was quite a lot colder than
any we've had since).

--
not me guv

vernon[_2_]
November 24th 07, 03:49 PM
"Nick Kew" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 13:33:31 -0000
> "Clive George" > wrote:
>
>> Frosty beard, not just frost. (let's not mention the frosty 'tache -
>> the genesis isn't as nice, though it should have a higher melting
>> point).
>
> The real fun thing is icicles on the eyebrows.
>
> Got 'em commuting to school in the winter of '78-'79
> (for our younger readers, that was quite a lot colder than
> any we've had since).

I remember that winter well. I was an undergraduate in Leeds and rode home
to Darlington in fewer layers of clothing thatn was sensible. My brothers
had to lift me off the motor bike as very few of my joints were functioning
on arrival....

wafflycat
November 24th 07, 07:24 PM
"Clive George" > wrote in message
> Possibly the most ice in my beard for a while - it's wasn't warm out
> there! (10pm-ish)
>
> cheers,
> clive

Did a 60-70miler today. Frost first thing, a bit of sun, mostly overcast,
loads of headwind, rain, sleety-cold rain... My thighs ache.

Roger Merriman
November 25th 07, 11:12 AM
Nick Kew > wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 13:33:31 -0000
> "Clive George" > wrote:
>
> > Frosty beard, not just frost. (let's not mention the frosty 'tache -
> > the genesis isn't as nice, though it should have a higher melting
> > point).
>
> The real fun thing is icicles on the eyebrows.
>
> Got 'em commuting to school in the winter of '78-'79
> (for our younger readers, that was quite a lot colder than
> any we've had since).

i think that was one of the years my folks where snowed in, at least in
terms of transport that wasn't on foot. a week or so i think. had
simular early 80's as well which was great for me and my sister though
not so great for my folks!

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

November 26th 07, 03:08 PM
On Nov 24, 8:36 am, "vernon" > wrote:
> "Paul Boyd" <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote in message

> > Clive George said the following on 24/11/2007 02:39:
> >> Possibly the most ice in my beard for a while - it's wasn't warm out
> >> there! (10pm-ish)
>
> > Blimey - you must live in temperate climes :-) A lot of commuters have
> > had frosty rides for at least a month, if not more!
>
> > --
> > Paul Boyd
> >http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
>
> The last of the short wearing cycle commuters that I see on my way to work
> finally covered his legs this week.

One of the bridgekeepers on the Gloucester-Sharpness canal was in
shorts on Saturday - two bridges to look after, cranking them open by
hand, and he cycled between them. There was a cold wind, the shorts
looked very out of place.

Rob

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home