PDA

View Full Version : Crash!

Tom Crispin
November 28th 07, 08:54 PM
I took a group of 12 Year 2 children (age 6/7) to Greenwich Park to
hone their cycling skills.

I caught this crash on camera.

What happened? Who is responsible?

Note: no child was harmed is the taking of these photos.

Ekul Namsob
November 28th 07, 09:17 PM
Tom Crispin > wrote:

> I took a group of 12 Year 2 children (age 6/7) to Greenwich Park to
> hone their cycling skills.
>
> I caught this crash on camera.
>
> What happened? Who is responsible?
>
> Note: no child was harmed is the taking of these photos.

Which photos Tom?

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Paul Boyd[_2_]
November 28th 07, 09:18 PM
On 28/11/2007 20:54, Tom Crispin said,
> I took a group of 12 Year 2 children (age 6/7) to Greenwich Park to
> hone their cycling skills.
> I caught this crash on camera.
> What happened? Who is responsible?
> Note: no child was harmed is the taking of these photos.

I think you forgot something :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Tony Raven[_2_]
November 28th 07, 09:32 PM
In article >,
says...
> On 28/11/2007 20:54, Tom Crispin said,
> > I took a group of 12 Year 2 children (age 6/7) to Greenwich Park to
> > hone their cycling skills.
> > I caught this crash on camera.
> > What happened? Who is responsible?
> > Note: no child was harmed is the taking of these photos.
>
> I think you forgot something :-)

Either that or as a non-binary group the attachments got stripped off.

--
Tony

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
taken place"
George Bernard Shaw

Tom Crispin
November 28th 07, 09:45 PM
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 21:17:35 GMT,
(Ekul Namsob) wrote:

>Tom Crispin > wrote:
>
>> I took a group of 12 Year 2 children (age 6/7) to Greenwich Park to
>> hone their cycling skills.
>>
>> I caught this crash on camera.
>>
>> What happened? Who is responsible?
>>
>> Note: no child was harmed is the taking of these photos.
>
>Which photos Tom?

Errr... These ones.

www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/crash/

[Hides with red face]

Martin Dann
November 28th 07, 10:07 PM
Tom Crispin wrote:
> I took a group of 12 Year 2 children (age 6/7) to Greenwich Park to
> hone their cycling skills.
>
> I caught this crash on camera.
>
> What happened? Who is responsible?

It is difficult to see. Am I right in guessing that one kid turned left
across the path of a second kid?
If that is the case, and also that they were meant to turn at that
point, then IMHO it was both their faults.
If you are training them, then you will get this sort of thing
occasionally, and them having a crash in the park, should slightly
reduce than chances of them having one on the road.

> Note: no child was harmed is the taking of these photos.

Next time take some fake blood, and drizzle some around ;-)

David Martin
November 28th 07, 10:08 PM
On Nov 28, 9:45 pm, Tom Crispin
> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 21:17:35 GMT,
>
> (Ekul Namsob) wrote:
> >Tom Crispin > wrote:
>
> >> I took a group of 12 Year 2 children (age 6/7) to Greenwich Park to
> >> hone their cycling skills.
>
> >> I caught this crash on camera.
>
> >> What happened? Who is responsible?
>
> >> Note: no child was harmed is the taking of these photos.
>
> >Which photos Tom?
>
> Errr... These ones.
>
> www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/crash/
>
> [Hides with red face]

Absolutely no idea. There are three pictures, one of which shows two
kids on the ground. The others are uninformative.

Maybe it is your fault as you are the member of staff in charge.
(OK, responsibility, not fault)

...d

Josey
November 28th 07, 10:13 PM
"Tom Crispin" > wrote in message

>>> I caught this crash on camera.
>>>
>>> What happened? Who is responsible?

Girl in red top didn't know left from right?

Wrong kind of leaves on the road?

Jc

Tom Crispin
November 28th 07, 10:35 PM
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:07:14 GMT, Martin Dann >
wrote:

>Tom Crispin wrote:
>> I took a group of 12 Year 2 children (age 6/7) to Greenwich Park to
>> hone their cycling skills.
>>
>> I caught this crash on camera.
>>
>> What happened? Who is responsible?
>
>It is difficult to see. Am I right in guessing that one kid turned left
>across the path of a second kid?

That's what I thought at first - and that's pretty much what happened,
but not in the way you think.

You may find the answer in this photo...

www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/crash/crash01a

David Martin
November 28th 07, 10:48 PM
On Nov 28, 10:35 pm, Tom Crispin
> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:07:14 GMT, Martin Dann >
> wrote:
>
> >Tom Crispin wrote:
> >> I took a group of 12 Year 2 children (age 6/7) to Greenwich Park to
> >> hone their cycling skills.
>
> >> I caught this crash on camera.
>
> >> What happened? Who is responsible?
>
> >It is difficult to see. Am I right in guessing that one kid turned left
> >across the path of a second kid?
>
> That's what I thought at first - and that's pretty much what happened,
> but not in the way you think.
>
> You may find the answer in this photo...
>
> www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/crash/crash01a

Looks like instead of riding up the left side, turning and riding
back, some of your little darlings rode up the wrong side. Maybe one
left(right?) hooked the other, or it was a head on at the turn (one
went up the right side, turned left, the other went up the left,
turned right).

...d

Tosspot
November 29th 07, 06:38 AM
Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 21:17:35 GMT,
> (Ekul Namsob) wrote:
>
>> Tom Crispin > wrote:
>>
>>> I took a group of 12 Year 2 children (age 6/7) to Greenwich Park to
>>> hone their cycling skills.
>>>
>>> I caught this crash on camera.
>>>
>>> What happened? Who is responsible?
>>>
>>> Note: no child was harmed is the taking of these photos.
>> Which photos Tom?
>
> Errr... These ones.
>
> www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/crash/
>
> [Hides with red face]

There appears to be a guilty looking dog in the background.

Tom Crispin
November 29th 07, 07:50 AM
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:48:33 -0800 (PST), David Martin
> wrote:

>On Nov 28, 10:35 pm, Tom Crispin
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:07:14 GMT, Martin Dann >
>> wrote:

>> >It is difficult to see. Am I right in guessing that one kid turned left
>> >across the path of a second kid?
>>
>> That's what I thought at first - and that's pretty much what happened,
>> but not in the way you think.
>>
>> You may find the answer in this photo...
>>
>> www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/crash/crash01a
>

>Looks like instead of riding up the left side, turning and riding
>back, some of your little darlings rode up the wrong side. Maybe one
>left(right?) hooked the other, or it was a head on at the turn (one
>went up the right side, turned left, the other went up the left,
>turned right).

Nope.

Does this offer any further clue?

www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/crash/crash02a

November 29th 07, 08:37 AM
On Nov 29, 7:50 am, Tom Crispin
> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:48:33 -0800 (PST), David Martin
>

> > wrote:
> >On Nov 28, 10:35 pm, Tom Crispin
> > wrote:

> >> That's what I thought at first - and that's pretty much what happened,
> >> but not in the way you think.
>
> >> You may find the answer in this photo...
>
> >>www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/crash/crash01a
>
> >Looks like instead of riding up the left side, turning and riding
> >back, some of your little darlings rode up the wrong side. Maybe one
> >left(right?) hooked the other, or it was a head on at the turn (one
> >went up the right side, turned left, the other went up the left,
> >turned right).
>
> Nope.
>
> Does this offer any further clue?
>
> www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/crash/crash02a- Hide quoted text -

Flared trouser caught on crank or in the chain?

--
Dave

POHB
November 29th 07, 09:14 AM
On 29 Nov, 08:37, wrote:

> > Does this offer any further clue?
>
> >www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/crash/crash02a-Hide quoted text -
>
> Flared trouser caught on crank or in the chain?

Squirrel assault?

November 29th 07, 10:00 AM
On Nov 28, 10:35 pm, Tom Crispin
> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:07:14 GMT, Martin Dann >
> wrote:
>
> >Tom Crispin wrote:
> >> I took a group of 12 Year 2 children (age 6/7) to Greenwich Park to
> >> hone their cycling skills.
>
> >> I caught this crash on camera.
>
> >> What happened? Who is responsible?
>
> >It is difficult to see. Am I right in guessing that one kid turned left
> >across the path of a second kid?
>
> That's what I thought at first - and that's pretty much what happened,
> but not in the way you think.
>
> You may find the answer in this photo...

damn those pavement cyclists

best wishes
james

Esra Sdrawkcab
November 29th 07, 11:30 AM
POHB wrote:
>>> Does this offer any further clue?
>>> www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/crash/crash02a-Hide quoted text -
>> Flared trouser caught on crank or in the chain?
>>

> Squirrel assault?

I believe there's a video of such a thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNpEqvOR_YQ

spindrift
November 29th 07, 11:40 AM
On 29 Nov, 11:30, Esra Sdrawkcab > wrote:
> POHB wrote:
> >> Flared trouser caught on crank or in the chain?
>
> > Squirrel assault?
>
> I believe there's a video of such a thing
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNpEqvOR_YQ

You saps, you just swallow the government lies like good little cannon
fodder, you can clearly see a puf of smoke from the grassy know and
the girl falls FORWARDS rather than back as you'd expect from a normal
collision!

Martin Dann
November 29th 07, 12:47 PM
Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:48:33 -0800 (PST), David Martin
>
>> Looks like instead of riding up the left side, turning and riding
>> back, some of your little darlings rode up the wrong side. Maybe one
>> left(right?) hooked the other, or it was a head on at the turn (one
>> went up the right side, turned left, the other went up the left,
>> turned right).
>
> Nope.
>
> Does this offer any further clue?
>
> www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/crash/crash02a

Did "someone" suggest that your kiddies move out of the way of the guy
with the altura jacket on, at which point they all made a mad dash to
the right.

squeaker
November 29th 07, 01:14 PM
It would be a lot easier if they all had numbers on their backs :p

Tom Crispin
November 29th 07, 04:37 PM
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 00:37:46 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

>Flared trouser caught on crank or in the chain?

No.

Even with the youngsters I teach them to do the:
A (air in tyres)
B (brakes working)
C (chain running smoothly)
D (danglers, including trousers, tucked away)
check before getting on their bikes.

Tom Crispin
November 29th 07, 04:37 PM
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 01:14:04 -0800 (PST), POHB >
wrote:

>> > Does this offer any further clue?
>>
>> >www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/crash/crash02a-Hide quoted text -
>>
>> Flared trouser caught on crank or in the chain?
>>

>Squirrel assault?

No.

Tom Crispin
November 29th 07, 04:39 PM
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:47:31 GMT, Martin Dann >
wrote:

>Tom Crispin wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:48:33 -0800 (PST), David Martin
>>
>>> Looks like instead of riding up the left side, turning and riding
>>> back, some of your little darlings rode up the wrong side. Maybe one
>>> left(right?) hooked the other, or it was a head on at the turn (one
>>> went up the right side, turned left, the other went up the left,
>>> turned right).
>>
>> Nope.
>>
>> Does this offer any further clue?
>>
>> www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/crash/crash02a
>
>Did "someone" suggest that your kiddies move out of the way of the guy
>with the altura jacket on, at which point they all made a mad dash to
>the right.

No. He's a she anyway, and she's another instructor.

Clive George
November 29th 07, 04:42 PM
"Tom Crispin" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 01:14:04 -0800 (PST), POHB >
> wrote:

>>> Flared trouser caught on crank or in the chain?
>>>

>>Squirrel assault?
>
> No.

Earthquake causing a hole to appear, send the kids flying, then just as
quickly seal up as if nothing had happened?

cheers,
clive

Tom Crispin
November 29th 07, 04:55 PM
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 02:00:03 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Nov 28, 10:35 pm, Tom Crispin
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:07:14 GMT, Martin Dann >
>> wrote:

>> >It is difficult to see. Am I right in guessing that one kid turned left
>> >across the path of a second kid?
>>
>> That's what I thought at first - and that's pretty much what happened,
>> but not in the way you think.
>>
>> You may find the answer in this photo...
>
>damn those pavement cyclists

Congratulations, James.

The pavement cyclist did a wide high speed turn into the child going
ahead normally.

In photo 1 she's on the pavement. In photo 2 she's obscured by the
instructor. And in photo 3 she's tangled up with another child.

www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/crash/crash01a
www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/crash/crash02a
www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/crash/crash03a

Tom Crispin
November 29th 07, 05:53 PM
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:42:34 -0000, "Clive George"
> wrote:

>"Tom Crispin" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 01:14:04 -0800 (PST), POHB >
>> wrote:

>>>Squirrel assault?
>>
>> No.
>
>Earthquake causing a hole to appear, send the kids flying, then just as
>quickly seal up as if nothing had happened?

No.

Marc
November 29th 07, 06:09 PM
Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 01:14:04 -0800 (PST), POHB >
> wrote:

>>> Flared trouser caught on crank or in the chain?
>>>
>> Squirrel assault?
>
> No.

Bored now!

Schrodinger's cat
November 29th 07, 07:14 PM
"Tom Crispin" > wrote in message
> I took a group of 12 Year 2 children (age 6/7) to Greenwich Park to
> hone their cycling skills.
>
> I caught this crash on camera.
>
> What happened? Who is responsible?

You?

November 29th 07, 07:37 PM
In message >
Tom Crispin > wrote:

> Even with the youngsters I teach them to do the:
> ABCD

[snip]

And a pretty good job of reminding this oldster. Thank you.

Charles
Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park
LCC; CTC.

Tom Crispin
November 29th 07, 07:50 PM
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:14:55 -0000, "Schrodinger's cat"
> wrote:

>"Tom Crispin" > wrote in message
>> I took a group of 12 Year 2 children (age 6/7) to Greenwich Park to
>> hone their cycling skills.
>>
>> I caught this crash on camera.
>>
>> What happened? Who is responsible?
>
>You?

Yes, I guess you are right too. If only I hadn't taught 'em to ride a
bike in the first place we'd never have been in Greenwich Park and
they'd have been enjoying a nice safe arithmetic lesson instead.

David Martin
November 30th 07, 09:39 AM
On Nov 29, 7:50 pm, Tom Crispin
> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:14:55 -0000, "Schrodinger's cat"
>
> > wrote:
>
> >"Tom Crispin" > wrote in message
> >> I took a group of 12 Year 2 children (age 6/7) to Greenwich Park to
> >> hone their cycling skills.
>
> >> I caught this crash on camera.
>
> >> What happened? Who is responsible?
>
> >You?
>
> Yes, I guess you are right too. If only I hadn't taught 'em to ride a
> bike in the first place we'd never have been in Greenwich Park and
> they'd have been enjoying a nice safe arithmetic lesson instead.

Yup. Riding a bike may be healthy but it is the arithmetic that
counts...

...d

Schrodinger's cat
November 30th 07, 07:16 PM
"Tom Crispin" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:14:55 -0000, "Schrodinger's cat"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Tom Crispin" > wrote in message
>>> I took a group of 12 Year 2 children (age 6/7) to Greenwich Park to
>>> hone their cycling skills.
>>>
>>> I caught this crash on camera.
>>>
>>> What happened? Who is responsible?
>>
>>You?
>
> Yes, I guess you are right too. If only I hadn't taught 'em to ride a
> bike in the first place we'd never have been in Greenwich Park and
> they'd have been enjoying a nice safe arithmetic lesson instead.

I didn't mean to irritate you, but you did ask. When you take a bunch of
kids to a park you are responsible for their safety. Who is if not you? That
doesn't mean to say that accidents will not happen. I think most reasonable
adults would say that an occasional accident is to be expected in these
circumstances. But you are still responsible for their safety!

Tom Crispin
November 30th 07, 10:45 PM
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:16:03 -0000, "Schrodinger's cat"
> wrote:

>"Tom Crispin" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:14:55 -0000, "Schrodinger's cat"
>> > wrote:

>>>You?
>>
>> Yes, I guess you are right too. If only I hadn't taught 'em to ride a
>> bike in the first place we'd never have been in Greenwich Park and
>> they'd have been enjoying a nice safe arithmetic lesson instead.
>
>I didn't mean to irritate you, but you did ask. When you take a bunch of
>kids to a park you are responsible for their safety. Who is if not you? That
>doesn't mean to say that accidents will not happen. I think most reasonable
>adults would say that an occasional accident is to be expected in these
>circumstances. But you are still responsible for their safety!

You didn't iritate me. My reply was a light-hearted dig at those who
really do feel that cycling is a dangerous activity. I know and
understand my responsibilities, and as I hope is evident from the
photos, I do try to take every precaution, necessary and unnecessary,
with the safety of my charges.

Over ten years as a primary school teacher, and three years as a
cycling teacher I have come to understand that most parents take a
sensible view about accidents. I have had to deal with two fractures:
a broken arm from a child tripping on stairs, and a broken ankle from
slipping on mud. Parents see this as a part of childhood.

The worst cycling incident I have had to deal with is a nasty graze on
the hip - and that has been it - apart from trivial knocks and bumps.

However, what would really scare parents would be an incident
involving a car. Parents are well aware that a simple fall from a
bike will result in nothing more serious than a fracture; cars kill.

December 1st 07, 12:19 PM
In message >
Tom Crispin > wrote:

> I know and
> understand my responsibilities, and as I hope is evident from the
> photos, I do try to take every precaution, necessary and unnecessary,
> with the safety of my charges.

Seen and unseen. You make a difference. Thank you for what you do and
the way that you do it.
--
Charles
Brompton P6R-Plus; CarryFreedom -YL, in Motspur Park
LCC; CTC.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home