PDA

View Full Version : Marin Bobcat Trail

JamesB
December 3rd 07, 01:59 PM
Hello everyone.

Finally managed to convince my work to sign up for the cycle to work
scheme and I'm currently looking at bikes to replace my poor knackered Kona.

What do you think about the Bobcat Trail? Mainly for commmuting and xc
trail. I had a Hawk Hill about ten years ago and loved the bike.

Of course, if anyone has any other suggestions in about the same price
range, I'd love to hear them.

--
James

Jeff[_3_]
December 3rd 07, 07:09 PM
JamesB wrote:
> What do you think about the Bobcat Trail? Mainly for commmuting and xc
> trail. I had a Hawk Hill about ten years ago and loved the bike.
> Of course, if anyone has any other suggestions in about the same price
> range, I'd love to hear them.

The Marin's not a bad bike, but for that sort of money you could do
better component-wise... Either a GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc or a Giant
XTC4.5 can be had for around £450 to 500. Both have much better LX rear
mechs and hydraulic, rather than cable brakes.

Jeff

dannyfrankszzz[_17_]
December 3rd 07, 07:56 PM
A few years back I spent some time looking for a bike. I test road
several and the out and out winner was the Marin Muirwoods. It was the
bike I felt most comfortable on - something to do with the geometry I
suppose.

So I guess that's the most important thing - how comfortable you feel
on the bike.

P.S. Another thing, when the frame broke on me a couple of years ago,
they replaced it, no hassle, free of charge.

--
dannyfrankszzz

jen
December 4th 07, 07:14 AM
On Dec 3, 1:59 pm, JamesB > wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> Finally managed to convince my work to sign up for the cycle to work
> scheme and I'm currently looking at bikes to replace my poor knackered Kona.
>
> What do you think about the Bobcat Trail? Mainly for commmuting and xc
> trail. I had a Hawk Hill about ten years ago and loved the bike.

I love my Marin Hawk Hill too which I put some narrower tyres on for
the trip to work (it's only 13 miles there and back). Despite the fact
it's the best fitting and comfiiest bike I've ever had, I am wondering
about getting more of a road bike for commuting. When I'm on form I
run out of top gears on it...

Jen

Rob Morley
December 4th 07, 08:39 AM
In article <358f48ee-ff7a-488b-96e3-
>, jen
says...
> I am wondering
> about getting more of a road bike for commuting. When I'm on form I
> run out of top gears on it...

Learn to pedal faster. :-)

Paul Rudin[_2_]
December 4th 07, 09:02 AM
jen > writes:

> I love my Marin Hawk Hill too which I put some narrower tyres on for
> the trip to work (it's only 13 miles there and back). Despite the fact
> it's the best fitting and comfiiest bike I've ever had, I am wondering
> about getting more of a road bike for commuting. When I'm on form I
> run out of top gears on it...

....or maybe just get a bigger chain ring?

JamesB
December 4th 07, 10:12 AM
Jeff wrote:
> JamesB wrote:
>> What do you think about the Bobcat Trail? Mainly for commmuting and xc
>> trail. I had a Hawk Hill about ten years ago and loved the bike.
>> Of course, if anyone has any other suggestions in about the same price
>> range, I'd love to hear them.
> The Marin's not a bad bike, but for that sort of money you could do
> better component-wise... Either a GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc or a Giant
> XTC4.5 can be had for around £450 to 500. Both have much better LX rear
> mechs and hydraulic, rather than cable brakes.

Mmm. Never thought about cable v. hydraulic. A better rear mech would be
handy - I have an odd habit of snapping them.

I was also looking at the Kona Blast as I fell in love with my previous
Kona. About the same component spec as the Marin though.

Might have to pop into the LBS and have a go on the GT. I was a
bike-tech in a previous life (well, 10 years ago) and I had something
against GTs, although I can't put my finger on what it was.

--
James

Jeff[_3_]
December 4th 07, 03:58 PM
JamesB wrote:
<snip>
> Mmm. Never thought about cable v. hydraulic. A better rear mech would be
> handy - I have an odd habit of snapping them.

Hydraulic discs are the dogs conkers. Even my cheapo Giant own make
ones knock spots off any rim brakes I've tried for off road use. But
then I'm a total sucker for shiny things! (Must upgrade bike... must
upgrade bike...)

> I was also looking at the Kona Blast as I fell in love with my previous
> Kona. About the same component spec as the Marin though.
>
> Might have to pop into the LBS and have a go on the GT. I was a
> bike-tech in a previous life (well, 10 years ago) and I had something
> against GTs, although I can't put my finger on what it was.

GT's tend to have the brakes the opposite way around to other
manufacturers (a US manufacturer thing?). That was what threw me
(almost literally) when I had a blast on my friends GT a while back.

jen
December 4th 07, 06:45 PM
On Dec 4, 9:02 am, Paul Rudin > wrote:
> jen > writes:
> > I love my Marin Hawk Hill too which I put some narrower tyres on for
> > the trip to work (it's only 13 miles there and back). Despite the fact
> > it's the best fitting and comfiiest bike I've ever had, I am wondering
> > about getting more of a road bike for commuting. When I'm on form I
> > run out of top gears on it...
>
> ...or maybe just get a bigger chain ring?

Are you my husband? That's what he says :)

Jen

Esra Sdrawkcab
December 6th 07, 07:58 PM
jen wrote:
> On Dec 4, 9:02 am, Paul Rudin > wrote:
>> jen > writes:
>>> I love my Marin Hawk Hill too which I put some narrower tyres on for
>>> the trip to work (it's only 13 miles there and back). Despite the fact
>>> it's the best fitting and comfiiest bike I've ever had, I am wondering
>>> about getting more of a road bike for commuting. When I'm on form I
>>> run out of top gears on it...
>> ...or maybe just get a bigger chain ring?
>
> Are you my husband? That's what he says :)
>
> Jen

It's true! size does matter!

(from what I've heard, the bigger the 4x4, the smaller the willy)
or was that foot size? IGMC

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home