PDA

View Full Version : Retro stingray?

Just A User
December 5th 07, 03:14 PM
Two days ago while I was at the W-Mart getting a new battery for my M.V.
I was browsing the bike section and saw a carton labeled "stingray" made
by schwinn. It looks a whole lot more like the original one from the
seventies. I didn't see and assembled, but did take a picture of the
label with picture on the carton. Here it is:
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t287/kencmjr/bikes/stingray.jpg

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 6th 07, 04:02 AM
Just A User wrote:
> Two days ago while I was at the W-Mart getting a new battery for my M.V.
> I was browsing the bike section and saw a carton labeled "stingray" made
> by schwinn. It looks a whole lot more like the original one from the
> seventies. I didn't see and assembled, but did take a picture of the
> label with picture on the carton. Here it is:
> http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t287/kencmjr/bikes/stingray.jpg

Google is your friend:
<http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/bikes_category.php?id=85>.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Just A User
December 6th 07, 10:34 AM
Tom Sherman wrote:
> Just A User wrote:
>> Two days ago while I was at the W-Mart getting a new battery for my
>> M.V. I was browsing the bike section and saw a carton labeled
>> "stingray" made by schwinn. It looks a whole lot more like the
>> original one from the seventies. I didn't see and assembled, but did
>> take a picture of the label with picture on the carton. Here it is:
>> http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t287/kencmjr/bikes/stingray.jpg
>
> Google is your friend:
> <http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/bikes_category.php?id=85>.

I was just curious if anyone had seen one up-close and personal. Not
that I would buy one, but I find it interesting that Schwinn is making
something closer to the original, than that chopper thing they orignally
put the stingray name on a few years ago.

landotter
December 6th 07, 07:55 PM
Just A User wrote:
> Two days ago while I was at the W-Mart getting a new battery for my M.V.
> I was browsing the bike section and saw a carton labeled "stingray" made
> by schwinn. It looks a whole lot more like the original one from the
> seventies. I didn't see and assembled, but did take a picture of the
> label with picture on the carton. Here it is:
> http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t287/kencmjr/bikes/stingray.jpg

Terrible then, terrible now. Yuck.

However, I was at Wally World a couple days ago as it was the only
option for aspirins in the delightful Anywhere America hell I was in,
so I check out the bike section. At least 3-4 bikes under $200 that
could be pressed to do schlepp duty. I like the Schwinn 7 speed beach
cruiser--might be fun to get as a bar bike.

The site shows a "Coasting" hubbed bike that's not too pusillanimous:
http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/bikes_detail.php?id=1029

OK "Sid/Nancy" is pushing the envelope of self-appointed "cool", but
I'd ride one. Grrrr.

Ozark Bicycle
December 6th 07, 11:28 PM
On Dec 6, 1:55 pm, landotter > wrote:
> Just A User wrote:
> > Two days ago while I was at the W-Mart getting a new battery for my M.V.
> > I was browsing the bike section and saw a carton labeled "stingray" made
> > by schwinn. It looks a whole lot more like the original one from the
> > seventies. I didn't see and assembled, but did take a picture of the
> > label with picture on the carton. Here it is:
> >http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t287/kencmjr/bikes/stingray.jpg
>
> Terrible then, terrible now. Yuck.
>
> However, I was at Wally World a couple days ago as it was the only
> option for aspirins in the delightful Anywhere America hell I was in,
> so I check out the bike section. At least 3-4 bikes under $200 that
> could be pressed to do schlepp duty. I like the Schwinn 7 speed beach
> cruiser--might be fun to get as a bar bike.
>
> The site shows a "Coasting" hubbed bike that's not too pusillanimous:http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/bikes_detail.php?id=1029

IMO, Schwinn/Pacific got "the look" right on target with this, given
the audience. Now, get the price down under $400 and "we have a
winner!"

> OK "Sid/Nancy" is pushing the envelope of self-appointed "cool", but
> I'd ride one.

I doubt the "Sid/Nancy" thing will register anything beyond the
obvious "his/hers" to most buyers.

> Grrrr.

??

landotter
December 7th 07, 12:33 AM
On Dec 6, 5:28 pm, Ozark Bicycle
> wrote:
> On Dec 6, 1:55 pm, landotter > wrote:
>

> > Just A User wrote:
> > > Two days ago while I was at the W-Mart getting a new battery for my M.V.
> > > I was browsing the bike section and saw a carton labeled "stingray" made
> > > by schwinn. It looks a whole lot more like the original one from the
> > > seventies. I didn't see and assembled, but did take a picture of the
> > > label with picture on the carton. Here it is:
> > >http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t287/kencmjr/bikes/stingray.jpg
>
> > Terrible then, terrible now. Yuck.
>
> > However, I was at Wally World a couple days ago as it was the only
> > option for aspirins in the delightful Anywhere America hell I was in,
> > so I check out the bike section. At least 3-4 bikes under $200 that
> > could be pressed to do schlepp duty. I like the Schwinn 7 speed beach
> > cruiser--might be fun to get as a bar bike.
>
> > The site shows a "Coasting" hubbed bike that's not too pusillanimous:http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/bikes_detail.php?id=1029
>
> IMO, Schwinn/Pacific got "the look" right on target with this, given
> the audience. Now, get the price down under $400 and "we have a
> winner!"

http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/bikes_detail.php?id=1027

I like the candy apple red better, though.

I gotta talk to Scott at the LBS and see if he's gonna get a Sid/Nancy
in, the Coasting system seems a little nutty, but I'd like to test
ride it anyway. In perspective, it's still simple compared to the cars
most of us drive every day. (mine's still got crank windows!!) Five
bills for a city scoot ain't bad, and I sort of like the obscenely
unnecessary tech disguised in thriftstore drag.

> > OK "Sid/Nancy" is pushing the envelope of self-appointed "cool", but
> > I'd ride one.
>
> I doubt the "Sid/Nancy" thing will register anything beyond the
> obvious "his/hers" to most buyers.
>
> > Grrrr.
>
> ??

Oh, just affecting contrived punk posturing. Grrr!

landotter
December 7th 07, 12:34 AM
On Dec 6, 5:28 pm, Ozark Bicycle
> wrote:
> On Dec 6, 1:55 pm, landotter > wrote:
>

> > Just A User wrote:
> > > Two days ago while I was at the W-Mart getting a new battery for my M.V.
> > > I was browsing the bike section and saw a carton labeled "stingray" made
> > > by schwinn. It looks a whole lot more like the original one from the
> > > seventies. I didn't see and assembled, but did take a picture of the
> > > label with picture on the carton. Here it is:
> > >http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t287/kencmjr/bikes/stingray.jpg
>
> > Terrible then, terrible now. Yuck.
>
> > However, I was at Wally World a couple days ago as it was the only
> > option for aspirins in the delightful Anywhere America hell I was in,
> > so I check out the bike section. At least 3-4 bikes under $200 that
> > could be pressed to do schlepp duty. I like the Schwinn 7 speed beach
> > cruiser--might be fun to get as a bar bike.
>
> > The site shows a "Coasting" hubbed bike that's not too pusillanimous:http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/bikes_detail.php?id=1029
>
> IMO, Schwinn/Pacific got "the look" right on target with this, given
> the audience. Now, get the price down under $400 and "we have a
> winner!"

http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/bikes_detail.php?id=1027

I like the candy apple red better, though.

I gotta talk to Scott at the LBS and see if he's gonna get a Sid/Nancy
in, the Coasting system seems a little nutty, but I'd like to test
ride it anyway. In perspective, it's still simple compared to the cars
most of us drive every day. (mine's still got crank windows!!) Five
bills for a city scoot ain't bad, and I sort of like the obscenely
unnecessary tech disguised in thriftstore drag.

> > OK "Sid/Nancy" is pushing the envelope of self-appointed "cool", but
> > I'd ride one.
>
> I doubt the "Sid/Nancy" thing will register anything beyond the
> obvious "his/hers" to most buyers.
>
> > Grrrr.
>
> ??

Oh, just affecting contrived punk posturing. Grrr!

DougC
December 7th 07, 10:25 PM
Just A User wrote:

> I was just curious if anyone had seen one up-close and personal. Not
> that I would buy one, but I find it interesting that Schwinn is making
> something closer to the original, than that chopper thing they orignally
> put the stingray name on a few years ago.

The chopper things were a fearsome piece of metal.
I hefted one once, it felt about 50 lbs.
The bike weighs more than a lot of the kids riding around on it.
~

Tom Keats
December 18th 07, 10:26 AM
In article >,
landotter > writes:

> Just A User wrote:
>> Two days ago while I was at the W-Mart getting a new battery for my M.V.
>> I was browsing the bike section and saw a carton labeled "stingray" made
>> by schwinn. It looks a whole lot more like the original one from the
>> seventies. I didn't see and assembled, but did take a picture of the
>> label with picture on the carton. Here it is:
>> http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t287/kencmjr/bikes/stingray.jpg
>
> Terrible then, terrible now. Yuck.

Those things hog public bike racks.

With the big handlebars, etc, another, "normal"
bike can't easily fit into the rack. Especially
if the rack is against the wall of a building.

That particular design sprawls too much.
It's antisocial.

cheers,
Tom

--