PDA

View Full Version : Re: Recumbent video from Ed Dolan

Olebiker
December 7th 07, 04:09 PM
On Dec 7, 10:41 am, "Edward Dolan" > wrote:
> Here is a video link to YouTube about recumbents that I received from a
> correspondent of mine whom I suspect may be a bike shop owner. It is a
> generalized presentation to the subject which should be of interest to
> anyone who has ever thought about getting into recumbents.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3rfyW9qcy4
>
> I think the locale may be Florida or some other lugubrious clime. I note
> that all the riders are men, mostly older and quite a few on the heavy side.
> But that is the way we are. It is reality.
>
> Every type of recumbent is shown and I am surprised that a bike shop can
> carry such a huge variety. I favor long wheelbase, above seat steering
> myself as is well known on these cycling newsgroups, but that is not to say
> that you can't have a lot of fun on other types as well. Tom Sherman of ARBR
> favors other types from me and he is as knowledgeable as anyone I know about
> recumbents, not even excepting Bob Bryant, the editor of RCN.
>
> Comfort and fun is what recumbents are about, but if you can occasionally be
> fast on them too, then so much the better.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
> aka
> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

It's Los Angeles. It's rather telling that he chose to only show
people riding on a track and on flat streets.

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 8th 07, 02:36 AM
Olebiker wrote:
> On Dec 7, 10:41 am, "Edward Dolan" > wrote:
>> Here is a video link to YouTube about recumbents that I received from a
>> correspondent of mine whom I suspect may be a bike shop owner. It is a
>> generalized presentation to the subject which should be of interest to
>> anyone who has ever thought about getting into recumbents.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3rfyW9qcy4
>>
>> I think the locale may be Florida or some other lugubrious clime. I note
>> that all the riders are men, mostly older and quite a few on the heavy side.
>> But that is the way we are. It is reality.
>>
>> Every type of recumbent is shown and I am surprised that a bike shop can
>> carry such a huge variety. I favor long wheelbase, above seat steering
>> myself as is well known on these cycling newsgroups, but that is not to say
>> that you can't have a lot of fun on other types as well. Tom Sherman of ARBR
>> favors other types from me and he is as knowledgeable as anyone I know about
>> recumbents, not even excepting Bob Bryant, the editor of RCN.
>>
>> Comfort and fun is what recumbents are about, but if you can occasionally be
>> fast on them too, then so much the better.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>> aka
>> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota
>
> It's Los Angeles. It's rather telling that he chose to only show
> people riding on a track and on flat streets.

And to think I voted for this guy...

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Olebiker
December 8th 07, 03:17 AM
On Dec 7, 9:36 pm, Tom Sherman >
wrote:
> Olebiker wrote:
> > On Dec 7, 10:41 am, "Edward Dolan" > wrote:
> >> Here is a video link to YouTube about recumbents that I received from a
> >> correspondent of mine whom I suspect may be a bike shop owner. It is a
> >> generalized presentation to the subject which should be of interest to
> >> anyone who has ever thought about getting into recumbents.
>
> >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3rfyW9qcy4
>
> >> I think the locale may be Florida or some other lugubrious clime. I note
> >> that all the riders are men, mostly older and quite a few on the heavy side.
> >> But that is the way we are. It is reality.
>
> >> Every type of recumbent is shown and I am surprised that a bike shop can
> >> carry such a huge variety. I favor long wheelbase, above seat steering
> >> myself as is well known on these cycling newsgroups, but that is not to say
> >> that you can't have a lot of fun on other types as well. Tom Sherman of ARBR
> >> favors other types from me and he is as knowledgeable as anyone I know about
> >> recumbents, not even excepting Bob Bryant, the editor of RCN.
>
> >> Comfort and fun is what recumbents are about, but if you can occasionally be
> >> fast on them too, then so much the better.
>
> >> Regards,
>
> >> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
> >> aka
> >> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota
>
> > It's Los Angeles. It's rather telling that he chose to only show
> > people riding on a track and on flat streets.
>
> And to think I voted for this guy...
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> "Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
> differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
> excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter- Hide quoted text -

I would be glad to see a video of bent riders on a hilly ride. The
only time I ever see bents on the hills around here, they are wobbling
side to side, trying to stay upright.

The Other Dick Durbin
Tallahassee

Edward Dolan
December 9th 07, 06:33 AM
"Olebiker" > wrote in message
> On Dec 7, 9:36 pm, Tom Sherman >
> wrote:
>> Olebiker wrote:

>> > It's Los Angeles. It's rather telling that he chose to only show
>> > people riding on a track and on flat streets.

> I would be glad to see a video of bent riders on a hilly ride. The
> only time I ever see bents on the hills around here, they are wobbling
> side to side, trying to stay upright.

Recumbents do not do at all well in the hills and mountains. Unfortunately
the world is full of such terrain. I do not believe I have ever seen a
recumbent bike shop located in the mountains nor will you ever see many
recumbents in that type of landscape. It is just too hard getting up them
thar hills.

I think one of the main reasons there are so many good recumbent bike shops
in the Upper Midwest is because it is relatively flat here. An ideal
recumbent bike ride would be from Fargo, ND to Winnipeg, Manitoba. It is
extremely flat being the lake bed of former glacial Lake Agassiz.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Roger Zoul
December 11th 07, 01:37 PM
"Olebiker" > wrote

> I would be glad to see a video of bent riders on a hilly ride. The
> only time I ever see bents on the hills around here, they are wobbling
> side to side, trying to stay upright.
>
> The Other Dick Durbin
> Tallahassee

If you want to see the potential of a recumbent going up hills, check this
video out (sorry, I don't if there is a youtube available):

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1465313TGqMnh8N

I personally find that if I try to take it easy up a long hill I'll end up
wobbling from side to side on my LWB Stratus XP. It's due to the low speed
and the bike design. On the other hand, if I hammer up the hill, which I'll
do if I know the climbing over the entire course won't be too exhausting (so
I can avoid bonking), then I can pass upright riders going up hill. No
wobbling when significant power is being applied to turn the cranks.

The guy in the video above is a very strong rider.

Olebiker
December 11th 07, 01:50 PM
On Dec 11, 8:37 am, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
> "Olebiker" > wrote
>
> > I would be glad to see a video of bent riders on a hilly ride. The
> > only time I ever see bents on the hills around here, they are wobbling
> > side to side, trying to stay upright.
>
> > The Other Dick Durbin
> > Tallahassee
>
> If you want to see the potential of a recumbent going up hills, check this
> video out (sorry, I don't if there is a youtube available):
>
> http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1465313TGqMnh8N
>
> I personally find that if I try to take it easy up a long hill I'll end up
> wobbling from side to side on my LWB Stratus XP. It's due to the low speed
> and the bike design. On the other hand, if I hammer up the hill, which I'll
> do if I know the climbing over the entire course won't be too exhausting (so
> I can avoid bonking), then I can pass upright riders going up hill. No
> wobbling when significant power is being applied to turn the cranks.
>
> The guy in the video above is a very strong rider.

He also needs to learn some manners. Not once did he give the riders
he was overtaking an "On your left!"

Roger Zoul
December 11th 07, 01:57 PM
"Olebiker" > wrote in message
> On Dec 11, 8:37 am, "Roger Zoul" > wrote:
>> "Olebiker" > wrote
>>
>> > I would be glad to see a video of bent riders on a hilly ride. The
>> > only time I ever see bents on the hills around here, they are wobbling
>> > side to side, trying to stay upright.
>>
>> > The Other Dick Durbin
>> > Tallahassee
>>
>> If you want to see the potential of a recumbent going up hills, check
>> this
>> video out (sorry, I don't if there is a youtube available):
>>
>> http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1465313TGqMnh8N
>>
>> I personally find that if I try to take it easy up a long hill I'll end
>> up
>> wobbling from side to side on my LWB Stratus XP. It's due to the low
>> speed
>> and the bike design. On the other hand, if I hammer up the hill, which
>> I'll
>> do if I know the climbing over the entire course won't be too exhausting
>> (so
>> I can avoid bonking), then I can pass upright riders going up hill. No
>> wobbling when significant power is being applied to turn the cranks.
>>
>> The guy in the video above is a very strong rider.
>
> He also needs to learn some manners. Not once did he give the riders
> he was overtaking an "On your left!"

Agreed! There is a much better video, though. I could not find a link to
it. In that one, on the last big hill, a couple of DF riders challenge up
going up a hill...they eventually catch up to him, but he leaves them in the
dust on the other side.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home