PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite jersey for a ride?

December 7th 07, 07:49 PM
I'm looking for your opinion: What's your favorite jersey, and what
makes it special? Is it the fit, the material, the mesage, the colors/
patterns? Does it match your bike? your spouse? your mood? your
ethic?

Do you think it's cool to ride in a team kit or not? Do you have a
favorite manufacturer?

Full disclosure here: I have my own small cycling apparel company and
always enjoy learning more about people's tastes, what they select and
why.

Thanks,

-Rick

December 7th 07, 08:47 PM
On Dec 7, 8:49 pm, wrote:
> I'm looking for your opinion: What's your favorite jersey, and what
> makes it special? Is it the fit, the material, the mesage, the colors/
> patterns? Does it match your bike? your spouse? your mood? your
> ethic?
>
> Do you think it's cool to ride in a team kit or not? Do you have a
> favorite manufacturer?
>
> Full disclosure here: I have my own small cycling apparel company and
> always enjoy learning more about people's tastes, what they select and
> why.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Rick

I have a number of favorite jerseys (and other pieces of apparel of
course) and they are my favorites for a combination of reasons. My
first concerns are fit and color. Next comes material. I like to match
my bike, or at least have the colors be complimentary in a way. I
don't think it's cool to ride in team kit (unless you are on the
team). I prefer subtle styling, and dislike bland and loud equally. My
favorite manufacturers are Castelli and Giordana.

Joseph

December 7th 07, 09:30 PM
Personally I had an old wool "Inoxpran" jersey that I swear every time
I trained in it I seemed to ride faster, climb better. After a few
years it got to small and I gave it to my art school girlfriend at the
time, who looked dynamite in it. I still enjoy riding wool jerseys--
old defunct pro team ones are the best!

-Rick

> I have a number of favorite jerseys (and other pieces of apparel of
> course) and they are my favorites for a combination of reasons. My
> first concerns are fit and color. Next comes material. I like to match
> my bike, or at least have the colors be complimentary in a way. I
> don't think it's cool to ride in team kit (unless you are on the
> team). I prefer subtle styling, and dislike bland and loud equally. My
> favorite manufacturers are Castelli and Giordana.
>
> Joseph

Pat[_4_]
December 7th 07, 11:44 PM
<>
> Full disclosure here: I have my own small cycling apparel company and
> always enjoy learning more about people's tastes, what they select and
> why.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Rick

Rick, there is an entire market out there not being served---the overweight
market! I was sort of ragging on a guy who showed up with a navy blue tee
shirt on one ride. I was telling him that we ride so that we can wear
outrageous shirts. He said he'd like to, but, as he weighs 240 #, he
couldn't find a cycling shirt that would fit. And, he does want to fit in
with the group.

Even Pearl Izumi has started to make a "comfort line" for the "average
American" who doesn't want skin tight clothing so that guys who wear a
Medium in everything else don't have to buy an XL in a cycling jersey....

As for me, I enjoy the shirts advertising food. If I could get a Blue Bell
Ice Cream shirt, I would wear it! Or one that had Guinness on the front! We
all look for Texas shirts, and more and more people are wanting to wear
shirts from different countries (although I still can't get used to seeing a
USSR shirt!). One guy wears a jersey from Germany and another wears one
from Spain.

Pat in TX

Claire Petersky
December 8th 07, 02:20 AM
> wrote in message
> I'm looking for your opinion: What's your favorite jersey, and what
> makes it special? Is it the fit, the material, the mesage, the colors/
> patterns? Does it match your bike? your spouse? your mood? your
> ethic?

My favorite jersey is my favorite because of its fit, primarily.
Secondarily, it has a great graphic. Tertially, the ride was one to
remember:(http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.rides/browse_thread/thread/2ac128210f5358a2/147e4e7cf2ad70af?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=RSVP+2004#147e4e7cf2ad70af)

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Gary[_3_]
December 8th 07, 04:15 AM
Here's mine:
http://www.crw.org/gallery/images/gary_smiley.jpg
I prefer the hard-to-find collector's item. This one has Che and the Cuban
flag on it.

> wrote in message
> I'm looking for your opinion: What's your favorite jersey, and what
> makes it special? Is it the fit, the material, the mesage, the colors/
> patterns? Does it match your bike? your spouse? your mood? your
> ethic?
>
> Do you think it's cool to ride in a team kit or not? Do you have a
> favorite manufacturer?
>
> Full disclosure here: I have my own small cycling apparel company and
> always enjoy learning more about people's tastes, what they select and
> why.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Rick

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 8th 07, 05:17 AM
wrote:
> I'm looking for your opinion: What's your favorite jersey, and what
> makes it special?...

I would much rather ride a bicycle than a Jersey cow - faster, more
comfortable, no droppings. However, the Jersey does a much better job of
producing milk.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

December 8th 07, 05:42 AM
Another favorite jersey of mine is a "Systeme U" pro team jersey (long
sleeve), the kind as worn by Laurent Fignon and team. At the end of
every ride I find myself however collapsing on the ground before a
gendarme.

-r.

On Dec 7, 8:41 pm, "Bill Sornson" > wrote:
> Gary top-posted (surprise!):
>
> > Here's mine:
> >http://www.crw.org/gallery/images/gary_smiley.jpg
> > I prefer the hard-to-find collector's item. This one has Che and the
> > Cuban flag on it.
>
> Thought I smelled something.
>
> http://www.therealcuba.com/MurderedbyChe.htm

Zoot Katz
December 8th 07, 07:41 AM
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 11:49:05 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>I'm looking for your opinion: What's your favorite jersey, and what
>makes it special? Is it the fit, the material, the mesage, the colors/
>patterns? Does it match your bike? your spouse? your mood? your
>ethic?
>
>Do you think it's cool to ride in a team kit or not? Do you have a
>favorite manufacturer?
>
>Full disclosure here: I have my own small cycling apparel company and
>always enjoy learning more about people's tastes, what they select and
>why.

It mostly depends on the weather and/or my destination.

Right now my favourite is a long sleeve fleece one in solid black.
It's warm and provides the pockets missing from my rain pants.

My perennial favourite and the one that sees the most use is a
wind-front dayglo fluorescent hot-pink one with long sleeves and a
full zipper. I wear it as a wind breaker or for its pockets. It packs
small so I often carry it along for an extra layer later. One learns
to love the colour when they see its effect on motorists.

I've a genuine retro wool Bianchi team jersey that's been long
cherished and thoroughly worn. I seldom take it out of the drawer
anymore.

The jersey that gets the most offers to purchase off my back was a
$3.00 NOS acrylic knit I thought was wool when I grabbed it from the
Sally Ann without examining it closer. It has a multi-coloured
international stripe that's neither Champion of the World nor
Olympic. It's long-sleeved in a rich medium blue with the stripes on
the collar, cuffs, shoulder and belt line. I know a woman who has the
same jersey in black.

That one and a long sleeved black Sugoi one with a stylised
watermelon graphic are my favourites for post ride partying where
bikey dress is de-rigour.

They all fit tight and have long sleeves.

I also have a bunch of "comfort fit" lycra jerseys with both short
and long sleeves that don't rate. A purple one is emblazoned with
"Campagnolo". Other than that, none of them have anything to read.

The nicest art I've ever seen on a jersey were two different Haida
inspired designs MEC commissioned for a limited edition.

I like your ROA and Doppler Shift jerseys and think the Race Number
Windbreaker is brilliant.

My favourite brand is locally produced: Sugoi.
--
zk

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 8th 07, 01:05 PM
Gooserider wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Here's mine:
>> http://www.crw.org/gallery/images/gary_smiley.jpg
>> I prefer the hard-to-find collector's item. This one has Che and the Cuban
>> flag on it.
>
> Gee, do you have the Pol Pot/Stalin/Hitler jerseys, also? Che Guevara was a
> murderer. His image is not good among Cuban Americans. Would you wear a
> Fidel Castro jersey?

The prominent "Cuban Americans" are a group of fascists who want to go
back to the old system where they owned everything, and exploited their
fellow Cubans and the point of a a police/soldier held gun. Sorry, but
the era of fascist governments that jump to the wishes of Washington is
coming to an end in Central and South America, in part due to the
failure of World Bank/IMF imposed "neo-liberal" economic policies to
provide economic growth.

How many have been murdered by fascist governments in Central and South
America over the last century? Would you wear a Pinochet, Somoza or
Battista jersey? How about jersey featuring right-wing Cuban terrorists
such as Orlando Bosch, Luis Posada Carriles or Virgilio Paz Romero? The
"Cuban American" community supports these terrorists, and has actively
campaigned for having a pardon granted to Orlando Bosch and "asylum"
granted to Posada.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 8th 07, 01:30 PM
Gooserider wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
>> Gooserider wrote:
>>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>>> . ..
>>> Gee, do you have the Pol Pot/Stalin/Hitler jerseys, also? Che Guevara was
>>> a murderer. His image is not good among Cuban Americans. Would you wear a
>>> Fidel Castro jersey?
>> The prominent "Cuban Americans" are a group of fascists who want to go
>> back to the old system where they owned everything, and exploited their
>> fellow Cubans and the point of a a police/soldier held gun. Sorry, but the
>> era of fascist governments that jump to the wishes of Washington is coming
>> to an end in Central and South America, in part due to the failure of
>> World Bank/IMF imposed "neo-liberal" economic policies to provide economic
>> growth.
>>
>> How many have been murdered by fascist governments in Central and South
>> America over the last century? Would you wear a Pinochet, Somoza or
>> Battista jersey? How about jersey featuring right-wing Cuban terrorists
>> such as Orlando Bosch, Luis Posada Carriles or Virgilio Paz Romero? The
>> "Cuban American" community supports these terrorists, and has actively
>> campaigned for having a pardon granted to Orlando Bosch and "asylum"
>> granted to Posada.
>
> To answer your question---NO, I wouldn't. I wouldn't wear a Pinochet jersey.
> I wouldn't wear a Marcos jersey. But I wouldn't wear a Che jersey, a Fidel
> jersey, or a Lenin jersey either.
>
> Do you support Fidel? Do you support death squads? Or do you only support
> death squads that fit your political agenda?

I see Fidel Castro as being the lesser of the two evils by far. I do NOT
approve of authoritarian governments in any form, but the lives of the
average Cuban are better under Castro than those of lower class people
in other countries in Central and South America - everybody gets
housing, medical care and enough to eat. Not even the very rich US
provides that to all its citizens, but (economically) poor Cuba
(hindered by US economic sanctions) finds a way.

Certainly, Castro has imprisoned political opponents in violation of
universal human rights. But that pales in comparison to the death by
torture and assassination that has been the standard of (US supported)
right-wing governments in the region.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

December 8th 07, 01:55 PM
On Dec 8, 2:30 pm, Tom Sherman >
wrote:
> Gooserider wrote:
> . ..
> >> The prominent "Cuban Americans" are a group of fascists who want to go
> >> back to the old system where they owned everything, and exploited their
> >> fellow Cubans and the point of a a police/soldier held gun. Sorry, but the
> >> era of fascist governments that jump to the wishes of Washington is coming
> >> to an end in Central and South America, in part due to the failure of
> >> World Bank/IMF imposed "neo-liberal" economic policies to provide economic
> >> growth.
>
> >> How many have been murdered by fascist governments in Central and South
> >> America over the last century? Would you wear a Pinochet, Somoza or
> >> Battista jersey? How about jersey featuring right-wing Cuban terrorists
> >> such as Orlando Bosch, Luis Posada Carriles or Virgilio Paz Romero? The
> >> "Cuban American" community supports these terrorists, and has actively
> >> campaigned for having a pardon granted to Orlando Bosch and "asylum"
> >> granted to Posada.
>
> > To answer your question---NO, I wouldn't. I wouldn't wear a Pinochet jersey.
> > I wouldn't wear a Marcos jersey. But I wouldn't wear a Che jersey, a Fidel
> > jersey, or a Lenin jersey either.
>
> > Do you support Fidel? Do you support death squads? Or do you only support
> > death squads that fit your political agenda?
>
> I see Fidel Castro as being the lesser of the two evils by far. I do NOT
> approve of authoritarian governments in any form, but the lives of the
> average Cuban are better under Castro than those of lower class people
> in other countries in Central and South America - everybody gets
> housing, medical care and enough to eat. Not even the very rich US
> provides that to all its citizens, but (economically) poor Cuba
> (hindered by US economic sanctions) finds a way.
>
> Certainly, Castro has imprisoned political opponents in violation of
> universal human rights. But that pales in comparison to the death by
> torture and assassination that has been the standard of (US supported)
> right-wing governments in the region.

Being the better of two evils isn't that great a claim to fame. It
doesn't have to be like that.

Would you rather live in Cuba or Jamaica? Why?

Joseph

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 8th 07, 01:59 PM
aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2:30 pm, Tom Sherman >
> wrote:
>> Gooserider wrote:
>>> To answer your question---NO, I wouldn't. I wouldn't wear a Pinochet jersey.
>>> I wouldn't wear a Marcos jersey. But I wouldn't wear a Che jersey, a Fidel
>>> jersey, or a Lenin jersey either.
>>> Do you support Fidel? Do you support death squads? Or do you only support
>>> death squads that fit your political agenda?
>> I see Fidel Castro as being the lesser of the two evils by far. I do NOT
>> approve of authoritarian governments in any form, but the lives of the
>> average Cuban are better under Castro than those of lower class people
>> in other countries in Central and South America - everybody gets
>> housing, medical care and enough to eat. Not even the very rich US
>> provides that to all its citizens, but (economically) poor Cuba
>> (hindered by US economic sanctions) finds a way.
>>
>> Certainly, Castro has imprisoned political opponents in violation of
>> universal human rights. But that pales in comparison to the death by
>> torture and assassination that has been the standard of (US supported)
>> right-wing governments in the region.
>>

> Being the better of two evils isn't that great a claim to fame. It
> doesn't have to be like that.
>
> Would you rather live in Cuba or Jamaica? Why?

What class was I born into?

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Ozark Bicycle
December 8th 07, 02:04 PM
On Dec 8, 7:55 am, "
> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2:30 pm, Tom Sherman >
> wrote:
>

> > Gooserider wrote:
> > . ..

> > > To answer your question---NO, I wouldn't. I wouldn't wear a Pinochet jersey.
> > > I wouldn't wear a Marcos jersey. But I wouldn't wear a Che jersey, a Fidel
> > > jersey, or a Lenin jersey either.
>
> > > Do you support Fidel? Do you support death squads? Or do you only support
> > > death squads that fit your political agenda?
>
> > I see Fidel Castro as being the lesser of the two evils by far. I do NOT
> > approve of authoritarian governments in any form, but the lives of the
> > average Cuban are better under Castro than those of lower class people
> > in other countries in Central and South America - everybody gets
> > housing, medical care and enough to eat. Not even the very rich US
> > provides that to all its citizens, but (economically) poor Cuba
> > (hindered by US economic sanctions) finds a way.
>
> > Certainly, Castro has imprisoned political opponents in violation of
> > universal human rights. But that pales in comparison to the death by
> > torture and assassination that has been the standard of (US supported)
> > right-wing governments in the region.
>
> Being the better of two evils isn't that great a claim to fame. It
> doesn't have to be like that.
>
> Would you rather live in Cuba or Jamaica? Why?

From what I've been told by more than one adventureous friend, Jamaica
is a very different place once one leaves the "tourist friendly"
areas. "Different" as in grindingly poor, dangerous and chaotic.

Ozark Bicycle
December 8th 07, 02:06 PM
On Dec 8, 3:09 am, "Gooserider" > wrote:

<snipped for clarity/brevity>

> Would you wear a
> Fidel Castro jersey?

If it went up the arse of the right wingnuts, you bet I would!

December 8th 07, 02:07 PM
On Dec 8, 2:59 pm, Tom Sherman >
wrote:
> aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:
>

> > On Dec 8, 2:30 pm, Tom Sherman >
> > wrote:
> . ..
> >> I see Fidel Castro as being the lesser of the two evils by far. I do NOT
> >> approve of authoritarian governments in any form, but the lives of the
> >> average Cuban are better under Castro than those of lower class people
> >> in other countries in Central and South America - everybody gets
> >> housing, medical care and enough to eat. Not even the very rich US
> >> provides that to all its citizens, but (economically) poor Cuba
> >> (hindered by US economic sanctions) finds a way.
>
> >> Certainly, Castro has imprisoned political opponents in violation of
> >> universal human rights. But that pales in comparison to the death by
> >> torture and assassination that has been the standard of (US supported)
> >> right-wing governments in the region.
>
> > Being the better of two evils isn't that great a claim to fame. It
> > doesn't have to be like that.
>
> > Would you rather live in Cuba or Jamaica? Why?
>
> What class was I born into?

Good point. We'll say uraban laborer in both cases.

Joseph

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 8th 07, 02:08 PM
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> On Dec 8, 7:55 am, "
> > wrote:
>> On Dec 8, 2:30 pm, Tom Sherman >
>> wrote:

>>> I see Fidel Castro as being the lesser of the two evils by far. I do NOT
>>> approve of authoritarian governments in any form, but the lives of the
>>> average Cuban are better under Castro than those of lower class people
>>> in other countries in Central and South America - everybody gets
>>> housing, medical care and enough to eat. Not even the very rich US
>>> provides that to all its citizens, but (economically) poor Cuba
>>> (hindered by US economic sanctions) finds a way.
>>> Certainly, Castro has imprisoned political opponents in violation of
>>> universal human rights. But that pales in comparison to the death by
>>> torture and assassination that has been the standard of (US supported)
>>> right-wing governments in the region.
>> Being the better of two evils isn't that great a claim to fame. It
>> doesn't have to be like that.
>>
>> Would you rather live in Cuba or Jamaica? Why?
>>

> From what I've been told by more than one adventureous friend, Jamaica
> is a very different place once one leaves the "tourist friendly"
> areas. "Different" as in grindingly poor, dangerous and chaotic.

Of course, the USA, "Land of Freedom [TM]" greatly restricts the rights
of its citizens to travel to Cuba to witness the conditions there first
hand.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 8th 07, 02:11 PM
aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2:59 pm, Tom Sherman >
> wrote:
>> aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:

>>> Being the better of two evils isn't that great a claim to fame. It
>>> doesn't have to be like that.
>>> Would you rather live in Cuba or Jamaica? Why?
>> What class was I born into?
>>

> Good point. We'll say ur[]ban laborer in both cases.

Cuba, since I would be poor, but the basic necessities would be
provided. In Jamaica, I would not have even that as a member of the
lower class, and there would be little chance of advancement, no matter
what my inherent level of ability was.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 8th 07, 02:13 PM
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> On Dec 8, 3:09 am, "Gooserider" > wrote:
>
> <snipped for clarity/brevity>
>
>> Would you wear a
>> Fidel Castro jersey?
>
> If it went up the arse of the right wingnuts, you bet I would!

Wing-nuts? Did not Tullio Campagnolo invent the quick-release about
eight decades ago?

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

December 8th 07, 02:18 PM
On Dec 8, 3:04 pm, Ozark Bicycle
> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 7:55 am, "
>

> > wrote:
> > On Dec 8, 2:30 pm, Tom Sherman >
> > wrote:

> > > . ..

> > > I see Fidel Castro as being the lesser of the two evils by far. I do NOT
> > > approve of authoritarian governments in any form, but the lives of the
> > > average Cuban are better under Castro than those of lower class people
> > > in other countries in Central and South America - everybody gets
> > > housing, medical care and enough to eat. Not even the very rich US
> > > provides that to all its citizens, but (economically) poor Cuba
> > > (hindered by US economic sanctions) finds a way.
>
> > > Certainly, Castro has imprisoned political opponents in violation of
> > > universal human rights. But that pales in comparison to the death by
> > > torture and assassination that has been the standard of (US supported)
> > > right-wing governments in the region.
>
> > Being the better of two evils isn't that great a claim to fame. It
> > doesn't have to be like that.
>
> > Would you rather live in Cuba or Jamaica? Why?
>
> From what I've been told by more than one adventureous friend, Jamaica
> is a very different place once one leaves the "tourist friendly"
> areas. "Different" as in grindingly poor, dangerous and chaotic.

No arguments form me on that. I've been to Jamaica with a Jamaican
friend and I've seen some of those outlying areas.

I picked Jamaica because it resembles Cuba in many ways in terms of
poverty, etc. The major difference being that it is a free democratic
country where the citizens are not imprisoned for saying what they
want or reading Usenet. Jamaica has of course many other very
significant problems.

Joseph

December 8th 07, 02:26 PM
On Dec 8, 3:06 pm, Ozark Bicycle
> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 3:09 am, "Gooserider" > wrote:
>
> <snipped for clarity/brevity>
>
> > Would you wear a
> > Fidel Castro jersey?
>
> If it went up the arse of the right wingnuts, you bet I would!

What about the thousands of Cuban refugees who use rafts to get to
Florida? It's one thing to be a rich Cuban living in Miami rich since
the 50's, quite another to be a poor nobody in 2007 on a home-made
raft.

Joseph

Ozark Bicycle
December 8th 07, 02:27 PM
On Dec 8, 8:18 am, "
> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 3:04 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>

> > wrote:
> > On Dec 8, 7:55 am, "
>
> > > wrote:

> > > Being the better of two evils isn't that great a claim to fame. It
> > > doesn't have to be like that.
>
> > > Would you rather live in Cuba or Jamaica? Why?
>
> > From what I've been told by more than one adventureous friend, Jamaica
> > is a very different place once one leaves the "tourist friendly"
> > areas. "Different" as in grindingly poor, dangerous and chaotic.
>
> No arguments form me on that. I've been to Jamaica with a Jamaican
> friend and I've seen some of those outlying areas.
>
> I picked Jamaica because it resembles Cuba in many ways in terms of
> poverty, etc.

Yes, similar in poverty. But, US kneejerk "anti-Communist" policy has
deprived Cuba of the kind of tourist revenue that Jamaica takes in. Of
course, in Jamaica, the money makes the rich richer as they exploit
the poor. Would Castro's Cuba do better, more socialist things with
similar revenue? I think it would, but we can't know, can we?

> The major difference being that it is a free democratic
> country where the citizens are not imprisoned for saying what they
> want or reading Usenet. Jamaica has of course many other very
> significant problems.
>
> Joseph

Ozark Bicycle
December 8th 07, 02:29 PM
On Dec 8, 8:26 am, "
> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 3:06 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>
> > wrote:
> > On Dec 8, 3:09 am, "Gooserider" > wrote:
>
> > <snipped for clarity/brevity>
>
> > > Would you wear a
> > > Fidel Castro jersey?
>
> > If it went up the arse of the right wingnuts, you bet I would!
>
> What about the thousands of Cuban refugees who use rafts to get to
> Florida? It's one thing to be a rich Cuban living in Miami rich since
> the 50's, quite another to be a poor nobody in 2007 on a home-made
> raft.

IMO, those people are fleeing the economic conditions *created by US
policy toward Cuba* for the "promise" of a better life in the US.
Kinda perverse, eh?

Gary[_3_]
December 8th 07, 03:32 PM
I knew my jersey would generate some interesting dialogue, but hey, I'm only
wearing it because I looked into my closet and couldn't find my George Bush
or Dick Cheney bike jerseys. All you freedom-loving capitalists out there-
now there's an idea- a line of patriotic bike jerseys. I can see it now-
Donald Rumsfeld, Anton Scalia- you could proudly wear these jerseys as you
cycled through France :-)
PS I'll be honest with you- Sometimes I ride to Montreal, but I would never
wear my Che jersey returning back across the US border- I wouldn't want to
risk a long drawn-out search.

"Gary" > wrote in message
. ..
> Here's mine:
> http://www.crw.org/gallery/images/gary_smiley.jpg
> I prefer the hard-to-find collector's item. This one has Che and the Cuban
> flag on it.
>
> > wrote in message
>> I'm looking for your opinion: What's your favorite jersey, and what
>> makes it special? Is it the fit, the material, the mesage, the colors/
>> patterns? Does it match your bike? your spouse? your mood? your
>> ethic?
>>
>> Do you think it's cool to ride in a team kit or not? Do you have a
>> favorite manufacturer?
>>
>> Full disclosure here: I have my own small cycling apparel company and
>> always enjoy learning more about people's tastes, what they select and
>> why.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Rick

landotter
December 8th 07, 04:53 PM
On Dec 7, 1:49 pm, wrote:
> I'm looking for your opinion: What's your favorite jersey, and what
> makes it special? Is it the fit, the material, the mesage, the colors/
> patterns? Does it match your bike? your spouse? your mood? your
> ethic?
>
> Do you think it's cool to ride in a team kit or not? Do you have a
> favorite manufacturer?

I like to wear an old velour house coat from the era of color-bloc
sweaters. That and pink curlers in case I have an accident. However,
I'm pretty safe, as you can hear me coming by the clank of the left
ashtabula crank hitting the kick stand on each rotation.

John Kane
December 8th 07, 05:02 PM
On Dec 7, 2:49 pm, wrote:
> I'm looking for your opinion: What's your favorite jersey

The one in the Channel Islands?

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

December 8th 07, 05:18 PM
On Dec 8, 3:29 pm, Ozark Bicycle
> wrote:
> On Dec 8, 8:26 am, "
>

> > wrote:
> > On Dec 8, 3:06 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>
> > > wrote:
> > > On Dec 8, 3:09 am, "Gooserider" > wrote:
>
> > > <snipped for clarity/brevity>

> > > If it went up the arse of the right wingnuts, you bet I would!
>
> > What about the thousands of Cuban refugees who use rafts to get to
> > Florida? It's one thing to be a rich Cuban living in Miami rich since
> > the 50's, quite another to be a poor nobody in 2007 on a home-made
> > raft.
>
> IMO, those people are fleeing the economic conditions *created by US
> policy toward Cuba* for the "promise" of a better life in the US.
> Kinda perverse, eh?

I'm no fan of trade embargos for exactly that reason. I chose Jamaica
and Cuba because they have similar conditions NOW. How they got there
is a different story. Would you rather not have to worry about health
care, or not have to worry about secret police putting you in jail for
lending people books?

No doubt about it the sanctions have made conditions in Cuba worse
than they should be. Without them Cuba would be probably better off
economically than Jamaica. But what if we look at a place like Puerto
Rico that shares a reasonably similar (to a point) history with Cuba.
Are the people in Puerto Rico better off than those in Cuba solely
because of the US embargo? Even if somehow miraculously Cubans were
doing as well as Puerto Ricans, would it still be accapable to have it
be at the cost of being a police state? How bad do things have to be,
where is the line, that distinguishes when it is better to live in a
totalitarian police state with some material comforts that to live in
poor freedom?

I know folks from Poland, Checks, and Russians who escaped back when
it was dangerous to do so. They lived in conditions better than those
in present day Cuba, but still they risked everything to leave to be
free. I also know Africans who lived in conditions way worse than Cuba
who have risked everything to be free. The point being that people in
all sorts of economic situations don't want to be afraid of the police
coming at night.

Joseph

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 8th 07, 06:46 PM
aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:
> On Dec 8, 3:29 pm, Ozark Bicycle
> > wrote:
>> On Dec 8, 8:26 am, "
>>

>> > wrote:
>>> On Dec 8, 3:06 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>>> What about the thousands of Cuban refugees who use rafts to get to
>>> Florida? It's one thing to be a rich Cuban living in Miami rich since
>>> the 50's, quite another to be a poor nobody in 2007 on a home-made
>>> raft.
>> IMO, those people are fleeing the economic conditions *created by US
>> policy toward Cuba* for the "promise" of a better life in the US.
>> Kinda perverse, eh?
>
> I'm no fan of trade embargos for exactly that reason. I chose Jamaica
> and Cuba because they have similar conditions NOW. How they got there
> is a different story. Would you rather not have to worry about health
> care, or not have to worry about secret police putting you in jail for
> lending people books?
>
> No doubt about it the sanctions have made conditions in Cuba worse
> than they should be. Without them Cuba would be probably better off
> economically than Jamaica. But what if we look at a place like Puerto
> Rico that shares a reasonably similar (to a point) history with Cuba.
> Are the people in Puerto Rico better off than those in Cuba solely
> because of the US embargo? Even if somehow miraculously Cubans were
> doing as well as Puerto Ricans, would it still be accapable to have it
> be at the cost of being a police state? How bad do things have to be,
> where is the line, that distinguishes when it is better to live in a
> totalitarian police state with some material comforts that to live in
> poor freedom?

Living in a US territory, the Puerto Ricans can come to the US legally
for jobs, since they are US citizens. This factor makes other
comparisons invalid.

> I know folks from Poland, Checks, and Russians who escaped back when
> it was dangerous to do so. They lived in conditions better than those
> in present day Cuba, but still they risked everything to leave to be
> free. I also know Africans who lived in conditions way worse than Cuba
> who have risked everything to be free. The point being that people in
> all sorts of economic situations don't want to be afraid of the police
> coming at night.

Are the "Checks" the people who used to be in a combined nation with the
"Balances"?

Did the people in the former Soviet dominated block ever intend to leave
for non-industrialized countries with a poorer standard of living? If
so, it was very rare.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 8th 07, 06:48 PM
Gary Smiley TOP POSTED:
> I knew my jersey would generate some interesting dialogue, but hey, I'm
> only wearing it because I looked into my closet and couldn't find my
> George Bush or Dick Cheney bike jerseys. All you freedom-loving
> capitalists out there- now there's an idea- a line of patriotic bike
> jerseys. I can see it now- Donald Rumsfeld, Anton Scalia- you could
> proudly wear these jerseys as you cycled through France :-)
> PS I'll be honest with you- Sometimes I ride to Montreal, but I would
> never wear my Che jersey returning back across the US border- I wouldn't
> want to risk a long drawn-out search.

Do you wear your Che jersey when top posting?

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Ozark Bicycle
December 8th 07, 06:57 PM
Look! the pencil-necked pudpuller is now a NetCop!

On Dec 8, 12:48 pm, Tom Sherman >
wrote:
> Gary Smiley TOP POSTED:

<snipped>

Gary[_3_]
December 8th 07, 07:03 PM
What am I doing wrong? Why are you so annoyed by this? What are you- a
member of the top-posting police? The fashion police? The politically
correct police?

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> Look! the pencil-necked pudpuller is now a NetCop!
>
> On Dec 8, 12:48 pm, Tom Sherman >
> wrote:
>> Gary Smiley TOP POSTED:
>
> <snipped>

When Ozark is in a hole, he apparently starts digging down to get out. ;)

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 8th 07, 07:04 PM
Gary Smiley TOP POSTED:
> What am I doing wrong? Why are you so annoyed by this? What are you- a
> member of the top-posting police? The fashion police? The politically
> correct police?

Top-posting to Usenet is either ignorant or rude. Enough said.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

December 8th 07, 07:06 PM
On Dec 8, 7:46 pm, Tom Sherman >
wrote:
> aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:
>

> > On Dec 8, 3:29 pm, Ozark Bicycle
> > > wrote:
> >> On Dec 8, 8:26 am, "

> >> IMO, those people are fleeing the economic conditions *created by US
> >> policy toward Cuba* for the "promise" of a better life in the US.
> >> Kinda perverse, eh?
>
> > I'm no fan of trade embargos for exactly that reason. I chose Jamaica
> > and Cuba because they have similar conditions NOW. How they got there
> > is a different story. Would you rather not have to worry about health
> > care, or not have to worry about secret police putting you in jail for
> > lending people books?
>
> > No doubt about it the sanctions have made conditions in Cuba worse
> > than they should be. Without them Cuba would be probably better off
> > economically than Jamaica. But what if we look at a place like Puerto
> > Rico that shares a reasonably similar (to a point) history with Cuba.
> > Are the people in Puerto Rico better off than those in Cuba solely
> > because of the US embargo? Even if somehow miraculously Cubans were
> > doing as well as Puerto Ricans, would it still be accapable to have it
> > be at the cost of being a police state? How bad do things have to be,
> > where is the line, that distinguishes when it is better to live in a
> > totalitarian police state with some material comforts that to live in
> > poor freedom?
>
> Living in a US territory, the Puerto Ricans can come to the US legally
> for jobs, since they are US citizens. This factor makes other
> comparisons invalid.

I don't mean to compare Cuba and Puerto Rico directly, I mean more as
a "what if" scenario where Cuba could have developed along the same
lines.

But I don't see why the comparison is invalid? The whole point of the
comparison was just as you point out, that Puerto Ricans enjoy the
ultimate freedom, the chance to leave.

So if Cubans enjoyed everything else the Puerto Ricans enjoy (other
than freedom), would it still be worth it for them to live in a police
state where government informants who don't like their face could have
them put away for making the wrong sort of joke? You said you would
rather live in a police state like that than a free yet poor place
like Jamaica because at least the basics are taken care of. How well
off would you have to be before you started caring it was a police
state?

> > I know folks from Poland, Checks, and Russians who escaped back when
> > it was dangerous to do so. They lived in conditions better than those
> > in present day Cuba, but still they risked everything to leave to be
> > free. I also know Africans who lived in conditions way worse than Cuba
> > who have risked everything to be free. The point being that people in
> > all sorts of economic situations don't want to be afraid of the police
> > coming at night.
>
> Are the "Checks" the people who used to be in a combined nation with the
> "Balances"?

That sounds like a nice place! But actually it was my Czech friends
who had the most harrowing escape involving hiking through sewers and
forests with an infant. Had the baby cried, they would have been
history.

> Did the people in the former Soviet dominated block ever intend to leave
> for non-industrialized countries with a poorer standard of living? If
> so, it was very rare.

No, probably not. But those I know who lived in refugee camps said the
Red Cross helped folks fill out applications for asylum or refugee
status. The folks I know said everyone filled out every application
they could from the whole list of countries accepting. They didn't
care where. The obvioulsy had preferences, but anywhere was better
than where they came from. The thing is, countries like Syria funnily
enough weren't on the list of places to apply. All these people live
in the US now, and it was the US that took almost all of them from the
different refugee camps.

Joseph

landotter
December 8th 07, 07:07 PM
On Dec 8, 12:57 pm, Ozark Bicycle
> wrote:
> Look! the pencil-necked pudpuller is now a NetCop!
>
> On Dec 8, 12:48 pm, Tom Sherman >
> wrote:
>
> > Gary Smiley TOP POSTED:
>
> <snipped>

Damn bent riders. Iconoclastic or deeply annoying?

landotter
December 8th 07, 07:08 PM
On Dec 8, 12:57 pm, Ozark Bicycle
> wrote:
> Look! the pencil-necked pudpuller is now a NetCop!
>
> On Dec 8, 12:48 pm, Tom Sherman >
> wrote:
>
> > Gary Smiley TOP POSTED:
>
> <snipped>

Damn bent riders. Iconoclastic or deeply annoying?

Ozark Bicycle
December 8th 07, 07:16 PM
On Dec 8, 1:07 pm, landotter > wrote:
> On Dec 8, 12:57 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>
> > wrote:
> > Look! the pencil-necked pudpuller is now a NetCop!
>
> > On Dec 8, 12:48 pm, Tom Sherman >
> > wrote:
>
> > > Gary Smiley TOP POSTED:
>
> > <snipped>
>
> Damn bent riders. Iconoclastic or deeply annoying?

IMO, "iconoclastic" is not a valid option here. May I suggest
"arrogant" in it's place?

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 8th 07, 07:16 PM
aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:
> On Dec 8, 7:46 pm, Tom Sherman >
> wrote:
>> aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:
>>

>>> On Dec 8, 3:29 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>>> I'm no fan of trade embargos for exactly that reason. I chose Jamaica
>>> and Cuba because they have similar conditions NOW. How they got there
>>> is a different story. Would you rather not have to worry about health
>>> care, or not have to worry about secret police putting you in jail for
>>> lending people books?
>>> No doubt about it the sanctions have made conditions in Cuba worse
>>> than they should be. Without them Cuba would be probably better off
>>> economically than Jamaica. But what if we look at a place like Puerto
>>> Rico that shares a reasonably similar (to a point) history with Cuba.
>>> Are the people in Puerto Rico better off than those in Cuba solely
>>> because of the US embargo? Even if somehow miraculously Cubans were
>>> doing as well as Puerto Ricans, would it still be accapable to have it
>>> be at the cost of being a police state? How bad do things have to be,
>>> where is the line, that distinguishes when it is better to live in a
>>> totalitarian police state with some material comforts that to live in
>>> poor freedom?
>> Living in a US territory, the Puerto Ricans can come to the US legally
>> for jobs, since they are US citizens. This factor makes other
>> comparisons invalid.
>
> I don't mean to compare Cuba and Puerto Rico directly, I mean more as
> a "what if" scenario where Cuba could have developed along the same
> lines.
>
> But I don't see why the comparison is invalid? The whole point of the
> comparison was just as you point out, that Puerto Ricans enjoy the
> ultimate freedom, the chance to leave.

If you can not see what difference Puerto Rico being a US territory
makes, then this discussion is pointless. That sets Puerto Rico apart
from all the other islands in the region in comparison to Cuba.

> So if Cubans enjoyed everything else the Puerto Ricans enjoy (other
> than freedom), would it still be worth it for them to live in a police
> state where government informants who don't like their face could have
> them put away for making the wrong sort of joke?

Completely hypothetical, unless the Cubans were given citizenship in a
large, wealthy country.

If Battista had remained in power, all but upper class Cubans would live
in BOTH poverty and fear of the police.

> You said you would
> rather live in a police state like that than a free yet poor place
> like Jamaica because at least the basics are taken care of. How well
> off would you have to be before you started caring it was a police
> state?

How free are the people of Jamaica? Most are so trapped by poverty, that
their freedom is hypothetical. You are free to choose which slum to live
in squalor in, and which foreign owned employer to be exploited by. What
choices!

>>> I know folks from Poland, Checks, and Russians who escaped back when
>>> it was dangerous to do so. They lived in conditions better than those
>>> in present day Cuba, but still they risked everything to leave to be
>>> free. I also know Africans who lived in conditions way worse than Cuba
>>> who have risked everything to be free. The point being that people in
>>> all sorts of economic situations don't want to be afraid of the police
>>> coming at night.
>> Are the "Checks" the people who used to be in a combined nation with the
>> "Balances"?
>
> That sounds like a nice place! But actually it was my Czech friends
> who had the most harrowing escape involving hiking through sewers and
> forests with an infant. Had the baby cried, they would have been
> history.
>
>> Did the people in the former Soviet dominated block ever intend to leave
>> for non-industrialized countries with a poorer standard of living? If
>> so, it was very rare.
>>

> No, probably not. But those I know who lived in refugee camps said the
> Red Cross helped folks fill out applications for asylum or refugee
> status. The folks I know said everyone filled out every application
> they could from the whole list of countries accepting. They didn't
> care where. The obvioulsy had preferences, but anywhere was better
> than where they came from. The thing is, countries like Syria funnily
> enough weren't on the list of places to apply. All these people live
> in the US now, and it was the US that took almost all of them from the
> different refugee camps.

And all were leaving with the thought of eventually settling in the US
or Western Europe (or Israel in the case of some Jews), no? Going
somewhere else would have just been a detour on the journey.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 8th 07, 07:17 PM
landotter wrote:
> On Dec 8, 12:57 pm, Ozark Bicycle
> > wrote:
>> Look! the pencil-necked pudpuller is now a NetCop!
>>
>> On Dec 8, 12:48 pm, Tom Sherman >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Gary Smiley TOP POSTED:
>> <snipped>
>
> Damn bent riders. Iconoclastic or deeply annoying?

Why can't we be both?

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 8th 07, 07:18 PM
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> On Dec 8, 1:07 pm, landotter > wrote:
>> On Dec 8, 12:57 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> Look! the pencil-necked pudpuller is now a NetCop!
>>> <snipped>
>> Damn bent riders. Iconoclastic or deeply annoying?
>
> IMO, "iconoclastic" is not a valid option here. May I suggest
> "arrogant" in it's place?

Ozark considers anyone with a technical education to be arrogant.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 8th 07, 07:19 PM
landotter wrote:
> On Dec 8, 12:57 pm, Ozark Bicycle
> > wrote:
>> Look! the pencil-necked pudpuller is now a NetCop!
>>
>> On Dec 8, 12:48 pm, Tom Sherman >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Gary Smiley TOP POSTED:
>> <snipped>
>
> Damn bent riders. Iconoclastic or deeply annoying?

Swedes below the Mason-Dixon line - repetitive?

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Ozark Bicycle
December 8th 07, 07:21 PM
On Dec 8, 1:03 pm, "Gary" > wrote:
> What am I doing wrong?

Nothing, really, just running afoul of some "rules" imposed by
frustrated busybodies.

> Why are you so annoyed by this?

He's a nit-picking twerp.

> What are you- a
> member of the top-posting police? The fashion police? The politically
> correct police?

By George, you've got it!

December 8th 07, 07:43 PM
On Dec 8, 8:16 pm, Tom Sherman >
wrote:
> aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:
>

> > On Dec 8, 7:46 pm, Tom Sherman >
> > wrote:

> >> Living in a US territory, the Puerto Ricans can come to the US legally
> >> for jobs, since they are US citizens. This factor makes other
> >> comparisons invalid.
>
> > I don't mean to compare Cuba and Puerto Rico directly, I mean more as
> > a "what if" scenario where Cuba could have developed along the same
> > lines.
>
> > But I don't see why the comparison is invalid? The whole point of the
> > comparison was just as you point out, that Puerto Ricans enjoy the
> > ultimate freedom, the chance to leave.
>
> If you can not see what difference Puerto Rico being a US territory
> makes, then this discussion is pointless. That sets Puerto Rico apart
> from all the other islands in the region in comparison to Cuba.

Admittedly it's apples and oranges, but both were Spanish colonies
"liberated" at the same time. Both have somewhat similar demographics,
and a similar basis for an economy. Yes, the fact that Puerto Ricans
are US citizens is a huge difference, but in really all that means is
they can leave, while Cubans can't. Puerto Rico came up because it was
suggested that a large reason for the poverty in Cuba is the US
sanctions. I agree that they are probably a large part of it. So my
question was would the Cuban economy be up to the level of Puerto Rico
if the sanctions were not in place. And if the level didn't reach that
of Puerto Rico, why not? And if it were, was it worth Cuba being a
police state to get there?

> > So if Cubans enjoyed everything else the Puerto Ricans enjoy (other
> > than freedom), would it still be worth it for them to live in a police
> > state where government informants who don't like their face could have
> > them put away for making the wrong sort of joke?
>
> Completely hypothetical, unless the Cubans were given citizenship in a
> large, wealthy country.
>
> If Battista had remained in power, all but upper class Cubans would live
> in BOTH poverty and fear of the police.

Perhaps, and this of course gets back to your original point about
Castro being the lesser of two evils. I'm just not convinced he is the
lesser of the two.

> > You said you would
> > rather live in a police state like that than a free yet poor place
> > like Jamaica because at least the basics are taken care of. How well
> > off would you have to be before you started caring it was a police
> > state?
>
> How free are the people of Jamaica? Most are so trapped by poverty, that
> their freedom is hypothetical. You are free to choose which slum to live
> in squalor in, and which foreign owned employer to be exploited by. What
> choices!

Jamaicans as individuals have the opportunity (however slight it may
be) to advance to any level. Along the way they can say and meet with
whomever they wish. They can read whatever the wish, and have no fear
of government informants. But they live in poverty and rampant crime.
Cubans have no chance for advancement, cannot say or do as they
please, risk imprisonment for reading, and also live in poverty. Pick
your poison.

> >> Are the "Checks" the people who used to be in a combined nation with the
> >> "Balances"?
>
> > That sounds like a nice place! But actually it was my Czech friends
> > who had the most harrowing escape involving hiking through sewers and
> > forests with an infant. Had the baby cried, they would have been
> > history.
>
> >> Did the people in the former Soviet dominated block ever intend to leave
> >> for non-industrialized countries with a poorer standard of living? If
> >> so, it was very rare.
>
> > No, probably not. But those I know who lived in refugee camps said the
> > Red Cross helped folks fill out applications for asylum or refugee
> > status. The folks I know said everyone filled out every application
> > they could from the whole list of countries accepting. They didn't
> > care where. The obvioulsy had preferences, but anywhere was better
> > than where they came from. The thing is, countries like Syria funnily
> > enough weren't on the list of places to apply. All these people live
> > in the US now, and it was the US that took almost all of them from the
> > different refugee camps.
>
> And all were leaving with the thought of eventually settling in the US
> or Western Europe (or Israel in the case of some Jews), no? Going
> somewhere else would have just been a detour on the journey.

They left to to just that, to leave. But once one has forsaken one's
home country to live perpetually as a foreigner to avoid persecution
and fear, why not go someplace that has economic opportunity? The fact
that these folks decided to have their cake and eat it too in no way
means they only left to be able to better their economic situation.
Sure they wanted to better their situation, but what the really wanted
was not to risk being jailed for talking about wanting to better their
situation.

Joseph

Pat[_4_]
December 8th 07, 08:11 PM
"Gary"

So, did you intentionally hijack the thread for a political statement or are
you just clueless?

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 8th 07, 08:26 PM
aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:
> On Dec 8, 8:16 pm, Tom Sherman >
> wrote:
>> aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:

>>> I don't mean to compare Cuba and Puerto Rico directly, I mean more as
>>> a "what if" scenario where Cuba could have developed along the same
>>> lines.
>>> But I don't see why the comparison is invalid? The whole point of the
>>> comparison was just as you point out, that Puerto Ricans enjoy the
>>> ultimate freedom, the chance to leave.
>> If you can not see what difference Puerto Rico being a US territory
>> makes, then this discussion is pointless. That sets Puerto Rico apart
>> from all the other islands in the region in comparison to Cuba.
>
> Admittedly it's apples and oranges, but both were Spanish colonies
> "liberated" at the same time. Both have somewhat similar demographics,
> and a similar basis for an economy. Yes, the fact that Puerto Ricans
> are US citizens is a huge difference, but in really all that means is
> they can leave, while Cubans can't.

No, it means that members of families can freely go to the mainland US,
work at jobs, and send money back to their families. Try sending money
from the US to Cuba, and you will likely end up in prison.

> Puerto Rico came up because it was
> suggested that a large reason for the poverty in Cuba is the US
> sanctions. I agree that they are probably a large part of it. So my
> question was would the Cuban economy be up to the level of Puerto Rico
> if the sanctions were not in place. And if the level didn't reach that
> of Puerto Rico, why not? And if it were, was it worth Cuba being a
> police state to get there?

No and No to the first two questions for reasons already discussed - one
is a US Territory, the other is not.

The Cuban economy provide better living for the majority than the other
non-US Territory islands in the region and would only improve without
the sanctions. That is the reasonable comparison that should be made.

>>> So if Cubans enjoyed everything else the Puerto Ricans enjoy (other
>>> than freedom), would it still be worth it for them to live in a police
>>> state where government informants who don't like their face could have
>>> them put away for making the wrong sort of joke?
>> Completely hypothetical, unless the Cubans were given citizenship in a
>> large, wealthy country.
>>
>> If Battista had remained in power, all but upper class Cubans would live
>> in BOTH poverty and fear of the police.
>
> Perhaps, and this of course gets back to your original point about
> Castro being the lesser of two evils. I'm just not convinced he is the
> lesser of the two.

So you approve of brutal fascist regimes that kill and torture? The
number of political prisoners in Cuba that are actually innocent of
trying to disrupt the government is small. The country simply does not
have the resources to do otherwise, and Castro is not mentally ill like
Stalin or Pol Pot.

>>> You said you would
>>> rather live in a police state like that than a free yet poor place
>>> like Jamaica because at least the basics are taken care of. How well
>>> off would you have to be before you started caring it was a police
>>> state?
>> How free are the people of Jamaica? Most are so trapped by poverty, that
>> their freedom is hypothetical. You are free to choose which slum to live
>> in squalor in, and which foreign owned employer to be exploited by. What
>> choices!
>
> Jamaicans as individuals have the opportunity (however slight it may
> be) to advance to any level. Along the way they can say and meet with
> whomever they wish. They can read whatever the wish, and have no fear
> of government informants. But they live in poverty and rampant crime.
> Cubans have no chance for advancement, cannot say or do as they
> please, risk imprisonment for reading, and also live in poverty. Pick
> your poison.

In many of the fascist countries (past and present) of Central and South
America, right-wing death squads kill those who try to improve their
condition by organizing labor or running a free press, while the
government backers of the death squads look the other way. Kidnapping
and torture of those who oppose the ruling elite is also common.
Speaking out is legal, but may well get one killed - free speech indeed!
Much better than Cuba, eh?

>>> That sounds like a nice place! But actually it was my Czech friends
>>> who had the most harrowing escape involving hiking through sewers and
>>> forests with an infant. Had the baby cried, they would have been
>>> history.
>>> No, probably not. But those I know who lived in refugee camps said the
>>> Red Cross helped folks fill out applications for asylum or refugee
>>> status. The folks I know said everyone filled out every application
>>> they could from the whole list of countries accepting. They didn't
>>> care where. The obvioulsy had preferences, but anywhere was better
>>> than where they came from. The thing is, countries like Syria funnily
>>> enough weren't on the list of places to apply. All these people live
>>> in the US now, and it was the US that took almost all of them from the
>>> different refugee camps.
>> And all were leaving with the thought of eventually settling in the US
>> or Western Europe (or Israel in the case of some Jews), no? Going
>> somewhere else would have just been a detour on the journey.
>>

> They left to to just that, to leave. But once one has forsaken one's
> home country to live perpetually as a foreigner to avoid persecution
> and fear, why not go someplace that has economic opportunity? The fact
> that these folks decided to have their cake and eat it too in no way
> means they only left to be able to better their economic situation.
> Sure they wanted to better their situation, but what the really wanted
> was not to risk being jailed for talking about wanting to better their
> situation.

Yes, but would these people have left the Soviet block if the best they
could look forward to was slum life in Lagos, Rio or Mexico City? I
think not.

Do not forget that these refugees from the Soviet block also generally
had the benefit of a high quality advanced education, proper nutrition
during childhood, and medical care, not things available to the poor of
most of the world. Lack of early education, nutrition and disease will
permanently lower intelligence, restricting future possibilities for the
individual.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

December 8th 07, 09:04 PM
On Dec 8, 9:26 pm, Tom Sherman >
wrote:
> aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:
>

> > On Dec 8, 8:16 pm, Tom Sherman >
> > wrote:

> >> If you can not see what difference Puerto Rico being a US territory
> >> makes, then this discussion is pointless. That sets Puerto Rico apart
> >> from all the other islands in the region in comparison to Cuba.
>
> > Admittedly it's apples and oranges, but both were Spanish colonies
> > "liberated" at the same time. Both have somewhat similar demographics,
> > and a similar basis for an economy. Yes, the fact that Puerto Ricans
> > are US citizens is a huge difference, but in really all that means is
> > they can leave, while Cubans can't.
>
> No, it means that members of families can freely go to the mainland US,
> work at jobs, and send money back to their families. Try sending money
> from the US to Cuba, and you will likely end up in prison.
>
> > Puerto Rico came up because it was
> > suggested that a large reason for the poverty in Cuba is the US
> > sanctions. I agree that they are probably a large part of it. So my
> > question was would the Cuban economy be up to the level of Puerto Rico
> > if the sanctions were not in place. And if the level didn't reach that
> > of Puerto Rico, why not? And if it were, was it worth Cuba being a
> > police state to get there?
>
> No and No to the first two questions for reasons already discussed - one
> is a US Territory, the other is not.
>
> The Cuban economy provide better living for the majority than the other
> non-US Territory islands in the region and would only improve without
> the sanctions. That is the reasonable comparison that should be made.

> >> Completely hypothetical, unless the Cubans were given citizenship in a
> >> large, wealthy country.
>
> >> If Battista had remained in power, all but upper class Cubans would live
> >> in BOTH poverty and fear of the police.
>
> > Perhaps, and this of course gets back to your original point about
> > Castro being the lesser of two evils. I'm just not convinced he is the
> > lesser of the two.
>
> So you approve of brutal fascist regimes that kill and torture? The
> number of political prisoners in Cuba that are actually innocent of
> trying to disrupt the government is small. The country simply does not
> have the resources to do otherwise, and Castro is not mentally ill like
> Stalin or Pol Pot.

Since when does not thinking Castro is a good guy mean I approve of
Death Squads? And you're making excuses for Cuba only jailing a few
people trying to disrupt the government? So the people there should
just shut-up and count their blessings? Does running a library
constitute being legitimately guilty of trying to disrupt the
government? In free countries speaking your mind when it goes against
the govenment is called dissent, and the only thing one risks by it is
getting booed by those who disagree. In places like Cuba, you get
thrown in jail.

> >> How free are the people of Jamaica? Most are so trapped by poverty, that
> >> their freedom is hypothetical. You are free to choose which slum to live
> >> in squalor in, and which foreign owned employer to be exploited by. What
> >> choices!
>
> > Jamaicans as individuals have the opportunity (however slight it may
> > be) to advance to any level. Along the way they can say and meet with
> > whomever they wish. They can read whatever the wish, and have no fear
> > of government informants. But they live in poverty and rampant crime.
> > Cubans have no chance for advancement, cannot say or do as they
> > please, risk imprisonment for reading, and also live in poverty. Pick
> > your poison.
>
> In many of the fascist countries (past and present) of Central and South
> America, right-wing death squads kill those who try to improve their
> condition by organizing labor or running a free press, while the
> government backers of the death squads look the other way. Kidnapping
> and torture of those who oppose the ruling elite is also common.
> Speaking out is legal, but may well get one killed - free speech indeed!
> Much better than Cuba, eh?

A police state is a police state. Totalitarianism from the right or
left makes no difference. Why do you assume opposition to Castro means
support of fascist Juntas?

> >> And all were leaving with the thought of eventually settling in the US
> >> or Western Europe (or Israel in the case of some Jews), no? Going
> >> somewhere else would have just been a detour on the journey.
>
> > They left to to just that, to leave. But once one has forsaken one's
> > home country to live perpetually as a foreigner to avoid persecution
> > and fear, why not go someplace that has economic opportunity? The fact
> > that these folks decided to have their cake and eat it too in no way
> > means they only left to be able to better their economic situation.
> > Sure they wanted to better their situation, but what the really wanted
> > was not to risk being jailed for talking about wanting to better their
> > situation.
>
> Yes, but would these people have left the Soviet block if the best they
> could look forward to was slum life in Lagos, Rio or Mexico City? I
> think not.
>
> Do not forget that these refugees from the Soviet block also generally
> had the benefit of a high quality advanced education, proper nutrition
> during childhood, and medical care, not things available to the poor of
> most of the world. Lack of early education, nutrition and disease will
> permanently lower intelligence, restricting future possibilities for the
> individual.

I'd have to ask them, and who knows if they could answer, but I
suspect most of them would have left anyway. The point is that even in
a place like Mexico City, a poor person has some hope of breaking out.
As hard and significant as the restrictions are, they are not law.

Joseph

Gary[_3_]
December 8th 07, 10:30 PM
"Pat" > wrote in message

> "Gary"
>
> So, did you intentionally hijack the thread for a political statement or
> are you just clueless?

I didn't intend to hijack anything. Rick, the original poster, asked "What's
your favorite jersey?", so I sent a link to a picture of myself in my
favorite jersey that (depending on one's taste) is either cool or it isn't.
But immediately people started crawling out from everywhere- The
foaming-at-the-mouth conservatives didn't like my jersey, and the net cops
didn't like the fact that I'm a top-down guy and not a bottom-up guy. Maybe
I am just clueless.

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 8th 07, 10:43 PM
aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:
> On Dec 8, 9:26 pm, Tom Sherman >
> wrote:
>> aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:

>>> Admittedly it's apples and oranges, but both were Spanish colonies
>>> "liberated" at the same time. Both have somewhat similar demographics,
>>> and a similar basis for an economy. Yes, the fact that Puerto Ricans
>>> are US citizens is a huge difference, but in really all that means is
>>> they can leave, while Cubans can't.
>> No, it means that members of families can freely go to the mainland US,
>> work at jobs, and send money back to their families. Try sending money
>> from the US to Cuba, and you will likely end up in prison.
>>
>>> Puerto Rico came up because it was
>>> suggested that a large reason for the poverty in Cuba is the US
>>> sanctions. I agree that they are probably a large part of it. So my
>>> question was would the Cuban economy be up to the level of Puerto Rico
>>> if the sanctions were not in place. And if the level didn't reach that
>>> of Puerto Rico, why not? And if it were, was it worth Cuba being a
>>> police state to get there?
>> No and No to the first two questions for reasons already discussed - one
>> is a US Territory, the other is not.
>>
>> The Cuban economy provide better living for the majority than the other
>> non-US Territory islands in the region and would only improve without
>> the sanctions. That is the reasonable comparison that should be made.

>>> Perhaps, and this of course gets back to your original point about
>>> Castro being the lesser of two evils. I'm just not convinced he is the
>>> lesser of the two.
>> So you approve of brutal fascist regimes that kill and torture? The
>> number of political prisoners in Cuba that are actually innocent of
>> trying to disrupt the government is small. The country simply does not
>> have the resources to do otherwise, and Castro is not mentally ill like
>> Stalin or Pol Pot.
>
> Since when does not thinking Castro is a good guy mean I approve of
> Death Squads?

You wrote "Perhaps, and this of course gets back to your original point
about Castro being the lesser of two evils. I'm just not convinced he is
the lesser of the two.".

The alternative to Castro would have been a continuation of the Battista
regime, which was a brutal fascist government. Your statement implies
that you believe that might be better that the current government. Did
you mean something else?

> And you're making excuses for Cuba only jailing a few
> people trying to disrupt the government? So the people there should
> just shut-up and count their blessings? Does running a library
> constitute being legitimately guilty of trying to disrupt the
> government? In free countries speaking your mind when it goes against
> the govenment is called dissent, and the only thing one risks by it is
> getting booed by those who disagree. In places like Cuba, you get
> thrown in jail.

What Castro does is better than right wing death squads roaming the
country (or outside the country as in Operation Condor), kidnapping,
torturing and killing those who oppose the ruling elite (and their
foreign corporate allies) which enforces poverty and servitude on the
rest of the population.

>>> Jamaicans as individuals have the opportunity (however slight it may
>>> be) to advance to any level. Along the way they can say and meet with
>>> whomever they wish. They can read whatever the wish, and have no fear
>>> of government informants. But they live in poverty and rampant crime.
>>> Cubans have no chance for advancement, cannot say or do as they
>>> please, risk imprisonment for reading, and also live in poverty. Pick
>>> your poison.
>> In many of the fascist countries (past and present) of Central and South
>> America, right-wing death squads kill those who try to improve their
>> condition by organizing labor or running a free press, while the
>> government backers of the death squads look the other way. Kidnapping
>> and torture of those who oppose the ruling elite is also common.
>> Speaking out is legal, but may well get one killed - free speech indeed!
>> Much better than Cuba, eh?
>
> A police state is a police state. Totalitarianism from the right or
> left makes no difference. Why do you assume opposition to Castro means
> support of fascist Juntas?

Until recently that was the only alternative. Do you think if the US was
finally able to depose current government after trying and failing for
more than four decades and put the Miami Cuban community in charge, it
would be a fair democratic society? When has Washington ever favored a
democratic society in South and Central America over a fascist state
that caters to the interests of US corporations? The one bright spot of
the occupation of Iraq is that it ties the US down from interfering too
much south of its border.

>>> They left to to just that, to leave. But once one has forsaken one's
>>> home country to live perpetually as a foreigner to avoid persecution
>>> and fear, why not go someplace that has economic opportunity? The fact
>>> that these folks decided to have their cake and eat it too in no way
>>> means they only left to be able to better their economic situation.
>>> Sure they wanted to better their situation, but what the really wanted
>>> was not to risk being jailed for talking about wanting to better their
>>> situation.
>> Yes, but would these people have left the Soviet block if the best they
>> could look forward to was slum life in Lagos, Rio or Mexico City? I
>> think not.
>>
>> Do not forget that these refugees from the Soviet block also generally
>> had the benefit of a high quality advanced education, proper nutrition
>> during childhood, and medical care, not things available to the poor of
>> most of the world. Lack of early education, nutrition and disease will
>> permanently lower intelligence, restricting future possibilities for the
>> individual.
>>

> I'd have to ask them, and who knows if they could answer, but I
> suspect most of them would have left anyway. The point is that even in
> a place like Mexico City, a poor person has some hope of breaking out.
> As hard and significant as the restrictions are, they are not law.

Yes, and everyone has a chance at winning the lottery. However, that is
not reasonable plan for people to follow, considering the odds.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

No Name
December 8th 07, 11:38 PM
In article >,
says...

Try www.kucharik.com for jerseys up to 5XL.

--
is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

Tom Keats
December 8th 07, 11:39 PM
In article >,
"Gary" > writes:
> Here's mine:
> http://www.crw.org/gallery/images/gary_smiley.jpg
> I prefer the hard-to-find collector's item. This one has Che and the Cuban
> flag on it.

I remember posters of Che Guevara, Zapata and
Mao Tse Tung pinned up on people's walls back
in the hippie days.

I always preferred prints of the works of
Chagall, Hogarth, Constable, Daumier,
Rembrandt, Watteau, and Charles M. Schultz.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Jym Dyer
December 9th 07, 12:07 AM
> Of course, the USA, "Land of Freedom [TM]" greatly
> restricts the rights of its citizens to travel to Cuba to
> witness the conditions there first hand.

=v= A friend of mine went there and wrote a book about it:
_The_Handsomest_Man_In_Cuba_, by Lynette Chiang.
It's apolitical, yet eye-opening.
<_Jym_>

Tom Keats
December 9th 07, 12:11 AM
In article >,
"Gooserider" > writes:

> Questioning why someone would wear a jersey commemorating a murderer doesn't
> equal = "foaming-at-the-mouth conservative". And still the question goes
> unanswered----would you wear a Fidel Castro jersey? How about Joseph Stalin?
> No, because for some reason the hipster brigade has embraced Che? Why?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^

Because he was some sort of self-styled rebel. And to
some it might be interesting to imagine what he'd be
like if he was there with them in their toking circle.
Especially since with his penchant for [yerba] mate,
the bombilla looks kind of like a chillum.

> Because he looks like Chris Cornell? Wears the cool beret?

The cool beret might have something to do with it too.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 9th 07, 12:33 AM
Gooserider wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
>> aka Joseph Santaniello wrote:
>>> On Dec 8, 3:29 pm, Ozark Bicycle

>>> I'm no fan of trade embargos for exactly that reason. I chose Jamaica
>>> and Cuba because they have similar conditions NOW. How they got there
>>> is a different story. Would you rather not have to worry about health
>>> care, or not have to worry about secret police putting you in jail for
>>> lending people books?
>>>
>>> No doubt about it the sanctions have made conditions in Cuba worse
>>> than they should be. Without them Cuba would be probably better off
>>> economically than Jamaica. But what if we look at a place like Puerto
>>> Rico that shares a reasonably similar (to a point) history with Cuba.
>>> Are the people in Puerto Rico better off than those in Cuba solely
>>> because of the US embargo? Even if somehow miraculously Cubans were
>>> doing as well as Puerto Ricans, would it still be accapable to have it
>>> be at the cost of being a police state? How bad do things have to be,
>>> where is the line, that distinguishes when it is better to live in a
>>> totalitarian police state with some material comforts that to live in
>>> poor freedom?
>> Living in a US territory, the Puerto Ricans can come to the US legally for
>> jobs, since they are US citizens. This factor makes other comparisons
>> invalid.
>>
>>> I know folks from Poland, Checks, and Russians who escaped back when
>>> it was dangerous to do so. They lived in conditions better than those
>>> in present day Cuba, but still they risked everything to leave to be
>>> free. I also know Africans who lived in conditions way worse than Cuba
>>> who have risked everything to be free. The point being that people in
>>> all sorts of economic situations don't want to be afraid of the police
>>> coming at night.
>> Are the "Checks" the people who used to be in a combined nation with the
>> "Balances"?
>>
>> Did the people in the former Soviet dominated block ever intend to leave
>> for non-industrialized countries with a poorer standard of living? If so,
>> it was very rare.
>>

> No, but they risked everything to leave for countries in which they would be
> free. Free to read what they wished, listen to the music they wished, voice
> their opinions, VOTE, and live without the fear of the secret police
> whisking them away in the middle of the night.

But the lack of these freedoms is only bad in command economy countries,
and acceptable in capitalist countries? It would appear to be so to the
majority of USians, since the US government has not had any problems
with supporting the latter, and even arranging to remove democratic
leaders for fascist (e.g. Guatemala and Chile) or monarchical (e.g.
Iran) ones.

In the fascist regimes of Central and South America, there have been
plenty of people "disappeared" by the police, military and their death
squad allies. Is that really preferable to the current situation in Cuba?

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 9th 07, 12:35 AM
Gooserider wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On Dec 8, 3:06 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>> > wrote:
>>> On Dec 8, 3:09 am, "Gooserider" > wrote:
>>>
>>> <snipped for clarity/brevity>

>>> If it went up the arse of the right wingnuts, you bet I would!
>> What about the thousands of Cuban refugees who use rafts to get to
>> Florida? It's one thing to be a rich Cuban living in Miami rich since
>> the 50's, quite another to be a poor nobody in 2007 on a home-made
>> raft.
>>
>> Joseph
>
> Lots of those Cubans come to America and become successful. They integrate
> themselves into the fabric of US society and become productive citizens and
> community leaders. People in Cuba are not free. And that's the bottom line.
> If you speak out against Fidel, you run a good chance of never being heard
> from again.

Can we please change the subject line to include "OT" when these threads
drift away from cycling content?

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 9th 07, 12:37 AM
Gooserider wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> What am I doing wrong? Why are you so annoyed by this? What are you- a
>> member of the top-posting police? The fashion police? The politically
>> correct police?
>
> I dare you to wear your Che jersey in Little Havana or Ybor City. Try
> explaining to those Cuban exiles why Che was a good person. Then report
> back.

Try wearing your "Stars & Stripes" jersey in Baghdad, and see how the
locals react.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 9th 07, 12:38 AM
Gooserider wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> "Pat" > wrote in message
>>> "Gary"
>>>
>>> So, did you intentionally hijack the thread for a political statement or
>>> are you just clueless?
>>>
>> I didn't intend to hijack anything. Rick, the original poster, asked
>> "What's your favorite jersey?", so I sent a link to a picture of myself in
>> my favorite jersey that (depending on one's taste) is either cool or it
>> isn't.
>> But immediately people started crawling out from everywhere- The
>> foaming-at-the-mouth conservatives didn't like my jersey, and the net cops
>> didn't like the fact that I'm a top-down guy and not a bottom-up guy.
>> Maybe I am just clueless.
>
> Questioning why someone would wear a jersey commemorating a murderer doesn't
> equal = "foaming-at-the-mouth conservative". And still the question goes
> unanswered----would you wear a Fidel Castro jersey? How about Joseph Stalin?
> No, because for some reason the hipster brigade has embraced Che? Why?
> Because he looks like Chris Cornell? Wears the cool beret?

Who is Chris Cornell???

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Keats
December 9th 07, 12:49 AM
In article >,
Tom Sherman > writes:
> Gooserider wrote:
>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> What am I doing wrong? Why are you so annoyed by this? What are you- a
>>> member of the top-posting police? The fashion police? The politically
>>> correct police?
>>
>> I dare you to wear your Che jersey in Little Havana or Ybor City. Try
>> explaining to those Cuban exiles why Che was a good person. Then report
>> back.
>
> Try wearing your "Stars & Stripes" jersey in Baghdad, and see how the
> locals react.

http://www.lyrics007.com/Yes%20Lyrics/Birthright%20Lyrics.html

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 9th 07, 12:57 AM
Gooserider wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
>> Gooserider wrote:

>>> No, but they risked everything to leave for countries in which they would
>>> be free. Free to read what they wished, listen to the music they wished,
>>> voice their opinions, VOTE, and live without the fear of the secret
>>> police whisking them away in the middle of the night.
>> But the lack of these freedoms is only bad in command economy countries,
>> and acceptable in capitalist countries? It would appear to be so to the
>> majority of USians, since the US government has not had any problems with
>> supporting the latter, and even arranging to remove democratic leaders for
>> fascist (e.g. Guatemala and Chile) or monarchical (e.g. Iran) ones.
>>
>> In the fascist regimes of Central and South America, there have been
>> plenty of people "disappeared" by the police, military and their death
>> squad allies. Is that really preferable to the current situation in Cuba?
>
> No. It's equivalent. Brutality is brutality, regardless of the political
> dogma motivating it. You compare the US government with the US people, and
> those two are not the same.

So you admit the US government does not represent the interests of the
people of the country?

> I don't support fascist dictators OR communist
> ones. It appears you cannot say the same. But you say it from a free
> country, don't you?

I will take a "Leninist" government over a fascist government as by far
the lesser of the two evils.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 9th 07, 12:59 AM
Gooserider wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
>> Gooserider wrote:
>>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>>> . ..
>>> I dare you to wear your Che jersey in Little Havana or Ybor City. Try
>>> explaining to those Cuban exiles why Che was a good person. Then report
>>> back.
>> Try wearing your "Stars & Stripes" jersey in Baghdad, and see how the
>> locals react.
>>
> Or a Union Jack jersey, for that matter. But you changed the subject, didn't
> you? Che Guevara was a brutal revolutionary MURDERER. No different than any
> other, and he does not deserve glorification.

Think about why I posted what I did. When you understand, you will not
like it.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 9th 07, 01:00 AM
Gooserider wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" > wrote in message
>> Gooserider wrote:

>>> Questioning why someone would wear a jersey commemorating a murderer
>>> doesn't equal = "foaming-at-the-mouth conservative". And still the
>>> question goes unanswered----would you wear a Fidel Castro jersey? How
>>> about Joseph Stalin? No, because for some reason the hipster brigade has
>>> embraced Che? Why? Because he looks like Chris Cornell? Wears the cool
>>> beret?
>> Who is Chris Cornell???
>
> Former lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave.

That would explain why I had no idea.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 9th 07, 01:01 AM
Gooserider wrote:
> "Tom Keats" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Gary" > writes:
>>> Here's mine:
>>> http://www.crw.org/gallery/images/gary_smiley.jpg
>>> I prefer the hard-to-find collector's item. This one has Che and the
>>> Cuban
>>> flag on it.
>> I remember posters of Che Guevara, Zapata and
>> Mao Tse Tung pinned up on people's walls back
>> in the hippie days.
>>
>> I always preferred prints of the works of
>> Chagall, Hogarth, Constable, Daumier,
>> Rembrandt, Watteau, and Charles M. Schultz.
>>

> It is funny that people whose lifestyles were so centered around freedom
> would embrace leaders who rejected the very idea. But hippies were all
> stoned or tripping so I guess that makes some sort of sense.

Did the hippies wear tie-dyed cycling jerseys?

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Tom Keats
December 9th 07, 01:22 AM
In article >,
Tom Sherman > writes:
> Gooserider wrote:
>> "Tom Keats" > wrote in message
>>> I remember posters of Che Guevara, Zapata and
>>> Mao Tse Tung pinned up on people's walls back
>>> in the hippie days.
>>>
>>> I always preferred prints of the works of
>>> Chagall, Hogarth, Constable, Daumier,
>>> Rembrandt, Watteau, and Charles M. Schultz.
>>>

>> It is funny that people whose lifestyles were so centered around freedom
>> would embrace leaders who rejected the very idea. But hippies were all
>> stoned or tripping so I guess that makes some sort of sense.

Four Dead in Ohio.

> Did the hippies wear tie-dyed cycling jerseys?

Sort of. Batik was more de rigeur. And easier.
And maybe a little more sensual.

Ya dye a tie once and yer branded fer life.

Even if ya call the tie a headband.

cheers,
Tom

--
Song of the day: Idiot Wind -- Bob Dylan
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

December 9th 07, 01:28 AM
<snip>
> Did the hippies wear tie-dyed cycling jerseys?
</snip>

Uh, I've not seen a tyedyed jersey. Greatful dead jerseys yeah. Though
A tyedyed wool jersey would be retro-grouch-hippy cool I think. There
would be at least five people who would buy one.

And in an attempt to segue (not segway!) the conversation back to the
original thread, I do have an old Cuban national team jersey (with a
big Cuba written in script on the back) but the material is far from
"technical." I traded a Cuban rider for a red-white-blue Schwinn
jersey back in the 80s. Not to be political or anything but it's not
my favorite.

In the pro peloton, I think the (formerly) T*Mobile team had the best
kit by far. with their solid majenta. I still think black shorts are
the way to go. Way classier than say, teal.

Ozark Bicycle
December 9th 07, 02:17 AM
The pencil-neck is not only a NetCop, he's also a hypocrite!

On Dec 8, 6:35 pm, Tom Sherman > wrote:

> Can we please change the subject line to include "OT" when these threads
> drift away from cycling content?
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Pencil-necked Nerd

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 9th 07, 02:25 AM
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> The pencil-neck is not only a NetCop, he's also a hypocrite!

Note I was not complaining about off topic threads, just not changing
the thread title.

Note that I have been changing thread titles to indicate thread drift to
off-topic subjects.

Note that Ozark Bicycle is too consumed by jealousy and/or bitterness to
get his facts straight.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

December 9th 07, 02:27 PM
On Dec 7, 2:49 pm, wrote:
> I'm looking for your opinion: What's your favorite jersey, and what
> makes it special? Is it the fit, the material, the mesage, the colors/
> patterns? Does it match your bike? your spouse? your mood? your
> ethic?
>
> Do you think it's cool to ride in a team kit or not? Do you have a
> favorite manufacturer?
>
> Full disclosure here: I have my own small cycling apparel company and
> always enjoy learning more about people's tastes, what they select and
> why.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Rick

A regular seersucker shirt with bicycle (baggy) touring shorts. The
seersucker is comfortable and breezy and can be used as regular
clothing at other times.

Tom Keats
December 9th 07, 04:48 PM
In article >,
"Gooserider" > writes:

> "Tom Keats" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Gary" > writes:
>>> Here's mine:
>>> http://www.crw.org/gallery/images/gary_smiley.jpg
>>> I prefer the hard-to-find collector's item. This one has Che and the
>>> Cuban
>>> flag on it.
>>
>> I remember posters of Che Guevara, Zapata and
>> Mao Tse Tung pinned up on people's walls back
>> in the hippie days.
>>
>> I always preferred prints of the works of
>> Chagall, Hogarth, Constable, Daumier,
>> Rembrandt, Watteau, and Charles M. Schultz.
>>

> It is funny that people whose lifestyles were so centered around freedom
> would embrace leaders who rejected the very idea.

They didn't embrace 'em. It was just "cute" to
pin posters of 'em up, to get the collective goat
of The Establishment. Apparently the tactic
still works.

> But hippies were all
> stoned or tripping so I guess that makes some sort of sense.

They were explorers. Which beat being shipped off
to Viet Nam to be exploders.

cheers, & make tea, not love (or war,)
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Tom Keats
December 9th 07, 06:54 PM
In article >,
writes:
> On Dec 7, 2:49 pm, wrote:
>> I'm looking for your opinion: What's your favorite jersey, and what
>> makes it special? Is it the fit, the material, the mesage, the colors/
>> patterns? Does it match your bike? your spouse? your mood? your
>> ethic?
>>
>> Do you think it's cool to ride in a team kit or not? Do you have a
>> favorite manufacturer?
>>
>> Full disclosure here: I have my own small cycling apparel company and
>> always enjoy learning more about people's tastes, what they select and
>> why.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Rick
>
> A regular seersucker shirt with bicycle (baggy) touring shorts. The
> seersucker is comfortable and breezy and can be used as regular
> clothing at other times.

Me 'n you, bro.

Me 'n you.

'Specially if your touring shorts have cargo pockets.

And the seersucker shirt has a print of Ho Chi Minh on it.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Gary[_3_]
December 11th 07, 01:31 AM
"Tom Keats" > wrote in message
> They didn't embrace 'em. It was just "cute" to
> pin posters of 'em up, to get the collective goat
> of The Establishment. Apparently the tactic
> still works.

Tom- You hit the nail right on the head. That's why I posted that photo. And
yes, it still works.

December 11th 07, 04:17 AM
On Dec 8, 3:49 am, wrote:
> I'm looking for your opinion: What's your favorite jersey, and what
> makes it special? Is it the fit, the material, the mesage, the colors/
> patterns? Does it match your bike? your spouse? your mood? your
> ethic?

My favorite jersey is a Best Asian Classification Blue Jersey from the
2006 Tour of Hainan Island signed by Li Fuyu of Team China.
Unfortunately, the laundry I go to did a very good job of getting rid
of that funny black stain so the signature really exists only in the
memory of how two of the podium girls engaged the guy guarding the box
of spare jerseys in conversation while I quickly snuck over and
st...err...acquired one. That and the way Li smiled at me when he
signed the jersey.

I like to wear it when I'm racing.

> Do you think it's cool to ride in a team kit or not? Do you have a
> favorite manufacturer?

It's only cool to ride in team kit if you somehow managed to score the
team kit for free.

My favorite manufacturer is probably ChampSys but I have a bias
regarding anyone I know personally.

> Full disclosure here: I have my own small cycling apparel company and
> always enjoy learning more about people's tastes, what they select and
> why.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Rick

December 11th 07, 06:52 PM
> My favorite jersey is a Best Asian Classification Blue Jersey from the
> 2006 Tour of Hainan Island signed by Li Fuyu of Team China.

Cool story.

Personally I like any pro-team jersey that from the 1970s or early
80s. Not as many logos and simpler designs, usually wool. More classic
stuff.
La Redoute - Motobecane
Renault - Gitane
All those Italian gelato companies (Gis, Sammontana, Samson ...)
Fiat
Inoxpran
Brooklyn chewing gum
TI Raleigh
(I'm sure I'm missing a bunch)
-Rick

Kirby
December 14th 07, 05:11 PM
Where I think there is a real gap in the market is for lightweight
jerseys with long sleeves.
I have to protect my skin from the sun - and most long sleeved bike
jerseys are made from winter weight material.
I've found some triathlon long sleeve jerseys from Orca - but nothing
from bike clothing manufacturers.

I'd also vote for non-cycle team designs with bold patterns (to help
visibility).

Kirby

Pat[_4_]
December 14th 07, 11:20 PM
> Where I think there is a real gap in the market is for lightweight
> jerseys with long sleeves.
> I have to protect my skin from the sun - and most long sleeved bike
> jerseys are made from winter weight material.
> I've found some triathlon long sleeve jerseys from Orca - but nothing
> from bike clothing manufacturers.
>
> I'd also vote for non-cycle team designs with bold patterns (to help
> visibility).
>
> Kirby

You can get some arm protective covers from www.coolibar.com
I have also found that some long sleeve running jerseys are made from
lighter weight fabric...just no pockets on the backside.

::dom::[_52_]
December 16th 07, 07:00 PM
Pat Wrote:

> Rick, there is an entire market out there not being served---the
> overweight
> market! I was sort of ragging on a guy who showed up with a navy blue
> tee
> shirt on one ride. I was telling him that we ride so that we can wear
> outrageous shirts. He said he'd like to, but, as he weighs 240 #, he
> couldn't find a cycling shirt that would fit. And, he does want to fit
> in
> with the group.....snip
> Pat in TX

I agree it's VERY hard to find Jerseys and especially bibshorts that
aren't made for racing snakes.

--
::dom::

December 19th 07, 02:08 AM
On Dec 16, 11:00 am, ::dom:: <dom.31p...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Pat Wrote:
>
> > Rick, there is an entire market out there not being served---the
> > overweight
> > market! I was sort of ragging on a guy who showed up with a navy blue
> > tee
> > shirt on one ride. I was telling him that we ride so that we can wear
> > outrageous shirts. He said he'd like to, but, as he weighs 240 #, he
> > couldn't find a cycling shirt that would fit. And, he does want to fit
> > in
> > with the group.....snip
> > Pat in TX
>
> I agree it's VERY hard to find Jerseys and especially bibshorts that
> aren't made for racing snakes.
>
> --
> ::dom::

We go to 3X and when we do bibs we'll go to at least 2X.
Also I like the idea of a lightweight longsleeve jersey. I'll check
into that.

Thanks for the idears.

-Rick

::dom::[_53_]
December 19th 07, 09:37 AM
Wrote:
> On Dec 16, 11:00 am, ::dom:: <dom.31p...@no-
> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > Pat Wrote:
> >
> > > Rick, there is an entire market out there not being served---the
> > > overweight
> > > market! I was sort of ragging on a guy who showed up with a navy
> blue
> > > tee
> > > shirt on one ride. I was telling him that we ride so that we can
> wear
> > > outrageous shirts. He said he'd like to, but, as he weighs 240 #,
> he
> > > couldn't find a cycling shirt that would fit. And, he does want to
> fit
> > > in
> > > with the group.....snip
> > > Pat in TX
> >
> > I agree it's VERY hard to find Jerseys and especially bibshorts that
> > aren't made for racing snakes.
> >
> > --
> > ::dom::
>
> We go to 3X and when we do bibs we'll go to at least 2X.
> Also I like the idea of a lightweight longsleeve jersey. I'll check
> into that.
>
> Thanks for the idears.
>
> -Rick
I fit into a 3XL Jersey, just, but need 4XL Bib... nearly impossible to
find.

I don't know how large the market is for reall big bibs as most biggies
would no fee comfortable... I could give a stuff, I wear them for
comfort not style. But it would be good to see more available. Maybe MTB
shorts in 4-5XL would sell better. The lightweight longsleeve gets my
vote. I have a Orca brand LS which is great. Stylewise... I like Twin
Six (not their Argyle though) and Rapha. Do you sell online. I design
jerseys if you need a cheap designer.

--
::dom::

Yme[_2_]
December 19th 07, 06:58 PM

Wrote:

>>> blue
>>> wear
>>> he
>>> fit
>>> >

> He got ragged on for wearing a t-shirt???? I think I would be riding
> alone.

What is wrong with wearing a coolmax tee? They are cheaper than Jerseys,
and you can wear them on more occasions.

Pat[_4_]
December 19th 07, 11:10 PM

>> He got ragged on for wearing a t-shirt???? I think I would be riding
>> alone.
>
> What is wrong with wearing a coolmax tee? They are cheaper than Jerseys,
> and you can wear them on more occasions.

You both misunderstood. He was being teased because he was dressed entirely
in black. Even he said he wished he could have some other color. It wasn't
the fabric; it was the lack of something other than solid black. And, it was
in good fun.

Pat in TX

Tom Sherman[_2_]
December 20th 07, 01:00 AM
Yme who? wrote:
> What is wrong with wearing a coolmax tee? They are cheaper than Jerseys,
> and you can wear them on more occasions.

Yes, a tee shirt is less expensive than a dairy cow, and much more
practical to wear.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Pat[_4_]
December 20th 07, 06:10 PM
"Harry (Lincoln, Nebraska)" < it was a JOKE, Harry. I told you that. He knew
it was good natured, but evidently people in Nebraska don't have a sense of
humor.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home